教育王國 討論區 國際學校 ESF Y1 vs FIS Y1 (HELP!)
樓主: Mumuwong
go

ESF Y1 vs FIS Y1 (HELP!) [複製鏈接]

21#
發表於 14-6-19 12:49 |只看該作者

引用:If+i+line+up+for+the+NR+on+the+very+firs

原帖由 kksjennifer 於 14-06-19 發表
If i line up for the NR on the very first day it issued, do i get a high chance to successfully buy  ...
It's on first come first serve basis. Hence if you line up even earlier (before 1.9) and be the 1st few, I don't see why you dont stand a chance. Remember each school bears a quota. You will need to Putin your 1-3 choices in case the first choice is filled up. As per parents experience,KJS hasbeen so popular that the NRwas fully filled  up.

22#
發表於 14-6-19 13:24 |只看該作者
kksjennifer 發表於 14-6-19 12:24
If i line up for the NR on the very first day it issued, do i get a high chance to successfully buy  ...
Yes, I think so.  I've got a friend who managed to get in (Y1) on the strength of NR.  

23#
發表於 14-6-19 13:29 |只看該作者

回覆:lui 的帖子

Lui, thank you for your information,so we should line up earlier to get a higher chance

24#
發表於 14-6-19 13:30 |只看該作者

回覆:HKPES 的帖子

Happi to hear that some people can get it successfully

25#
發表於 14-6-19 13:57 |只看該作者

引用:Quote:koala_xin+發表於+14-6-19+01:05+A+l

原帖由 HKPES 於 14-06-19 發表
"In any academic year, the number of places offered to INR applicants will be limited to 150 across ...
If I were you, I'd choose FIS. ESF has too many HKers.

點評

jolalee  Are you addressing koala_xin, the one asking the full quota question, or mumuwong, the original starter of this thread? (Since you were replying HKPES, who's providing answers to Koala)  發表於 14-6-20 01:11

26#
發表於 14-6-19 15:27 |只看該作者
VVhuilee 發表於 14-6-19 11:31
based on your research/personal feelings,  which ESF primary is good?  what do you think about Kelle ...
I'm more familiar with the ESF primary schools on the Hong Kong side, and from what i heard QBS and Glenealy both has a strong system and good teachers in place. I heard that Peak school & Bradbury are pretty good as well.

Kellet runs the UK curriculum so it is suitable for those planning to study in UK in the future. Note though, that similar to DBIS it may have too strong an expat community in it that for parents who are not already socializing in the expat circles, their kids may feel left out. Imagine trying to find play dates when the parents are not comfortable having coffee together...

HK Academy is still a bit new but has received great feedback. It runs a full IB curriculum, but somehow i feel that they would ensure stronger academics at the primary level (feelings are unfounded, i have no proof whatsoever). I guess we wouldn't know until their IB results come out in a few years. I am not sure about their ethnic student mix for real but on paper the nationality is almost 80% American, British, Australian, Canadian, Swiss, so the same situation similar to Kellet & DBIS may happen as well.

Personally, i find about 30-40% ethnic Chinese within a school may be healthier especially if the family prefer to speak Chinese within the family. Again, this is only a personal preference.

27#
發表於 14-6-26 16:06 |只看該作者
jolalee 發表於 14-6-19 15:27
I'm more familiar with the ESF primary schools on the Hong Kong side, and from what i heard QBS and  ...

Thanks for your feedback.  My son will go to Kingston this Aug for 1 year-old class (playgroup) and he should continue until (K2) then I have to think about going to their primary school or somewhere else.
Kingston is known being strong in their bilingual programme and this early acceptance is a big relief for us. I do believe their small class size & bilingual programme in KG, but it’s too early to say about their primary school.
My main concern for their primary would be English level with very few foreigners in the school and that being a relatively small school, the facilities is really downside.
I am looking for a school as you said with 30-40% ethnic Chinese, IB or UK curriculum, a good balance of both Chinese & English, a through train school.
I know Kellet and NA is not very ideal in terms of their Chinese programme, but I have applied anyway just in case (better apply than regret later).
In your opinion and research, which school would fit my needs?
VSA? CIS? SIS?
I heard that both are pretty demanding being an international school.
Is that the case?
I still prefer ESF as it’s being well established, but will probably need private tuition for Chinese.
Thanks for sharing!

28#
發表於 14-6-26 21:28 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 jolalee 於 14-6-27 04:39 編輯

回覆 VVhuilee 的帖子

I am looking for a school as you said with 30-40% ethnic Chinese, IB or UK curriculum, a good balance of both Chinese & English, a through train school. I know Kellet and NA is not very ideal in terms of their Chinese programme, but I have applied anyway just in case (better apply than regret later).
In your opinion and research, which school would fit my needs?
VSA? CIS? SIS?

Kingston is a good starting point although they have many ethnic Chinese in it. Definitely a great school to fall back on! It is wise to apply to Kellet and HKA as well; always have options. If you are looking for UK curriculum, also consider Harrow & GSIS, although you need to apply from birth.

As to "through train schools with 30-40% ethnic Chinese and a good balance of both Chinese & English" (IB or UK curriculum), that is kind of a hard combination depending on your definition of "good balance of Chinese & English".  Schools with better Chinese of course has more Chinese students in it. The ones you mentioned: VSA, CIS & SIS naturally all have strong Chinese populations in them (just click on their school photos and you'll see). You may add ISF to the list as well. In terms of work load, I'd say that SIS & ISF has lots of homework even at an early age, but VSA & CIS should be moderately okay. (Parents who knows about VSA please correct me if i'm wrong)

For through-train schools with 30-40% ethnic Chinese (therefore 60-70% non-chinese) with relatively decent Chinese programs, I believe CDNIS & HKIS would fit the bill. Both schools use traditional Chinese characters for advanced level and simplified Chinese for 'expat level' (for the lack of a better term). That's how they can keep both sides happy. CDNIS currently has 30% ethnic Chinese in the lower grades but more Chinese in the upper grades, and their Chinese program is known to be academically strong (not necessarily means that the kids are fluent Mando speakers, just that they have good grades in Chinese as a subject). HKIS parents claims that their level of Chinese rivals CIS, but this info is a bit dated (at least 5-6 years ago) and CIS has upped their game even more since then. This means HKIS' Chinese is decent enough as well anyhow compared with other IS with high expat population (which usually uses Simplified Chinese). Do note that HKIS families, from what i heard, live in HOUSES... So socially we are talking about the super upper crust here. I don't know the exact % of ethnic Chinese population in HKIS (as well as schools like GSIS, Harrows & ESF) since most ethnic Chinese there have foreign passports. Anyhow they are not as extreme as DBIS & Kellet in terms of expat population and CIS, SIS, ISF, VSA in terms of ethnic Chinese population.

ESF is definitely a good idea to apply, but do note that in general kids there dislike Chinese, and i am not sure how strong peer influence would play. I know a few success stories here with ESF students having a good command of Chinese, under great efforts given by wise parenting.  I am not sure if this is a trend that just applies to ESF (due to its history of application requirement being non-canto speakers, hence even the Chinese parents don't speak to their kids in Chinese, at least during early childhood), or that most IS kids dislike Chinese. All in all, parenting style does make a great difference.

29#
發表於 14-8-31 00:20 |只看該作者
Does anyone know if we have to line up very early for the INR nomination for submission on Sept 3rd?

Appreciated if someone can share their experience.  Thanks~

30#
發表於 14-9-19 18:33 |只看該作者

回覆:annie40 的帖子

請問是否一定要交500000萬元提名權先有得讀,有幾多人交咗?

‹ 上一主題|下一主題