4#
發表於 14-6-14 05:58 |只看該作者

引用:請問耀中兩歲班好嗎? +

原帖由 jilly_goodsiste 於 14-06-10 發表
請問耀中兩歲班好嗎?
將會interview 係米都大機會收?考D咩?thx

5#
發表於 14-6-14 06:51 |只看該作者
Should be pretty good. Well rounded early childhood education. A great international school for the locals, in the good way.

6#
發表於 14-6-14 15:18 |只看該作者

回覆:耀中兩歲班

下星期會面試,但已交學費同買校服係另一間幼稚。
如耀中普通就不去了。

7#
發表於 14-6-14 18:05 |只看該作者
另一間是那一間?讓大家幫妳比較。讀落去你打算行傳統還是國際學校?

8#
發表於 14-6-15 05:41 |只看該作者

引用:Should+be+pretty+good.+Well+rounded+earl

原帖由 jolalee 於 14-06-14 發表
Should be pretty good. Well rounded early childhood education. A great international school for the  ...
I personally come across with the kids from their KG, their english are really not up to standard ( not to mention naive level). And they attend full day class. I understand the language environment at home place a factor, but given they are learning 7 hour a day at school, the level of English is not acceptable to me. My girl (only 2.5 now and 2 year younger than them) who attends kg three hours a day at another international school masters better English than them. I have no
Clue about their primary. But I believe with that level of English, there is almost no
Hope to get into other international school after k2. The kids I know will be promoting to their primary. Given the high school fee but low output , I will not opt for this school.

9#
發表於 14-6-15 08:45 |只看該作者

引用:Quote:原帖由+jolalee+於+14-06-14+發表Sho

原帖由 lui 於 14-06-15 發表
I personally come across with the kids from their KG, their english are really not up to standard (  ...
YCIS' philosophy is to develop mother tongue first. they allow student to communicate in the language they feel comfortable with. the aim is communication. Most students use Chinese at campus. But read other threads saying the reading and writing of English.are strong apart from oral English. I wonder whether it is similar in other bilingual international schools, like ISF, VSA, Kingston, KCIS and IMS.

10#
發表於 14-6-15 17:09 |只看該作者
回覆 happyhealthymin 的帖子

Yes, expert studies have shown that kids with a strong mother tongue can master other languages better, and that's the philosophy for both CIS & YCIS. In fact, I heard many YCIS primary kids end up in CIS secondary. Weak kids from other IS ends up in YCIS secondary....

11#
發表於 14-6-15 21:22 |只看該作者

回覆:jolalee 的帖子

I am a bit confused by the research about language development. Most research agree 1) that before 6 years old is the critical period to develop a second language; 2) immersion is the best strategy to develop a language. If a child is exposed to two native speakers (ideally 50% vs.50%) , he will pick up the two languages naturally before 6 years old. So if a child's family mainly use Chinese (cantonese or Mandarin) and at school there are two native speakers (English and Chinese) as teachers (also assume 50% vs. 50), then the child's whole day is exposed to more Chinese than English and hence should be better with Chinese. On the contrary if the child's family uses Chinese at home and school uses English only, then the child may pick up the two languages faster as compared to the first scenario. This is most obvious with oral language.
Therefore if we want the child to develop bilingually but family could only provide one language environment, shall we put the child into bilingual school or monolingual school?  The time period is before 6 years old in order to catch the golden window.

12#
發表於 14-6-15 23:19 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 jolalee 於 14-6-15 23:30 編輯

One strong mother tongue does not necesarily mean the child is monolingual, just that the child is fluent and can communicate well in his mother tongue, be it English or Chinese. What this research tries to caution here are parents who switch/mix languages often (especially when the child has yet to learn to speak) or those who tries to speak to the child in the language she herself is not fluent with. Research has shown that it would hinder their deep inner thoughts as the children grow older, ending up with weak communication & thinking skills.

If the family only speaks one language, I agree that it would be good to put the child in a school using mainly the other language. That is similar to 2nd generation immigrant children whose family speaks to them in the language from their home country and the school speaks to them in language of the country the family immigrated to. They have no problem acquiring both. The key is to speak to the child in the language the mother is most comfortable with.
That's the reason why I mentioned YCIS being a good IS for local families. Unlike some schools which enforce that the child must have native level English for interview purposes (be it K1, reception or primary level), YCIS expects AND encourages HK families speak to their children in Cantonese. I am not sure how strong the student's level of English is at YCIS, but at least for HK families the children are at least growing in a normal / healthy family language setting.

13#
發表於 14-6-15 23:44 |只看該作者
happyhealthymin 發表於 14-6-15 08:45
I wonder whether it is similar in other bilingual international schools, like ISF, VSA, Kingston, KCIS and IMS. ...
I am not sure about ISF, VSA, Kingston and KCIS (because I never applied for them), but IMS is mainly an expat school so the playground & family language is mainly English. How they were able to get the Caucasian kids to speak & write so well in Chinese is a wonder, but I heard that starting early they do have lots of Chinese homework as well, so life is fair ;) 一分耕耘一分收獲 But as usual, I always warn that the parents must really study and buy into the Montessori method before enrolling their children into IMS, and note that not all kids excel in a Montessori setting. Kids who focus well and have no social issues are suitable for Montessori.

14#
發表於 14-8-24 17:32 |只看該作者

回覆:耀中兩歲班

My son started at his Yew chung pn class on last Monday and I help him to change to other international school on last Friday. There are too much students per class and I don't think the teacher can care everyone well.But if  you want 一條龍,yew chung should be a good choice. It's my opinion.

15#
發表於 14-8-25 12:07 |只看該作者
回覆 lui 的帖子

Hi would you mind to PM me which KG your kid is in?
Thank you

16#
發表於 14-8-25 19:33 |只看該作者

引用:My+son+started+at+his+Yew+chung+pn+class

原帖由 chappiebb 於 14-08-24 發表
My son started at his Yew chung pn class on last Monday and I help him to change to other internatio ...
我女也讀緊下午班,可否pm我,你轉那一間is?

‹ 上一主題|下一主題