密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 what should I do?
查看: 6945|回覆: 58
go

what should I do? [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 14-2-23 23:23 |只看該作者 |倒序瀏覽 |打印
My daughter is a P3 student of an elite local school. Her class teacher has suggested us to send her to an IS. She said it's a waste for her to stay in LS because she likes exploring. LS school cannot gives what she need to her.

3    0    0    0

2#
發表於 14-2-23 23:27 |只看該作者
Ask your LS teacher to refer your daughter

3#
發表於 14-2-24 09:56 |只看該作者

回覆:what should I do?

Better switch early than erode her interest in learning and curiosity in local stream

4#
發表於 14-2-24 13:14 |只看該作者
回覆 picture 的帖子

Is there any parents, who has kids in higher grade of IS, can tell me the pros and cons of studying in IS?  

5#
發表於 14-2-24 16:38 |只看該作者
回覆 broadband 的帖子

The major concern is the level of "Chinese".  However, your girl would benefit a lot from new environment!

6#
發表於 14-2-24 22:59 |只看該作者

回覆:Radiomama 的帖子

I only know that IS students read a lot but my kid also read a lot. Kids in IS is free. Someone says IS kids play a lot during class. Some of them may base on the games to search for more knowledge but others just treat it as a game and waste time. Are these true?

7#
發表於 14-2-25 01:09 |只看該作者
回覆 broadband 的帖子

But is your daughter doing fine in the school, isn't she? Or has she already acted out?
To switch to another stream is an option which might help, or it mightn't. You may need to dig down to see if actually her interested is faded out.

8#
發表於 14-2-25 08:25 |只看該作者

引用:I+only+know+that+IS+students+read+a+lot+

原帖由 broadband 於 14-02-24 發表
I only know that IS students read a lot but my kid also read a lot. Kids in IS is free. Someone says ...
That situation might happened in junior (ie year 1-3). For upper primary, the students do a lot of classwork and study. Less and less playing time.

9#
發表於 14-2-25 08:34 |只看該作者

回覆:broadband 的帖子

提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

10#
發表於 14-3-2 16:07 |只看該作者

回覆:ckwliu 的帖子

好多謝大家的意見。
一直以來,我都認為IS只是主張多看書,由小朋友自由發揮創意。但囡囡已很喜歡看書,而且自小便既creative又presentable,這已可達到接近入讀IS的效果。至於創意教育,實在太虛無。就好像創意畫室給小朋友畫具,便讓小朋友自由創作。那與在家自己畫畫又有什麼分別呢?而在傳統學校便可學習到勤奮,紀律和扎實的學術知識。再加上,IS雖然有部分學生進入了很出名的大學外,而那些學生可能是家裏有強大教育資源及背景做後盾的。君不見,那些富豪的子孫很多都是長春藤或牛劍出品。我們這些平民百姓只會像大部分的IS學生進入普通的大學。但是,以前很多進不了本地大學的同學,在外國讀一兩年預備班便可進入外國中上的大學了。這給我的感覺是:香港差的學生也可達到外國或國際學校中上的水平。而且現在也有好些西方國家在向中港的教育取經。那似乎讀LS更有保障。而且,學好中文是大勢所趨。另一方面,聽聞的IS學生放任及吸毒問題在傳統名女校似乎不會發生。而且,囡囡的性格外向,喜歡與男仔玩。如讀IS,應該很早便拍拖。以上總總,讓我把她送進頗有名氣的LS而非IS。其實,我並沒有相熟的朋友讀IS, 這些觀感只是道聽途說而來。並不想冒犯這裡的任何人。我的這些觀點是否有錯呢?請指正。

點評

cyberphone  agree with the comment of jolalee.  發表於 14-4-2 13:01
jolalee  "扎實的學術知識" has becoming more obsolete in our internet era. The ability to research, manage and analyze massive amount of information, on the other hand, is well thought in IS.  發表於 14-3-4 23:10

11#
發表於 14-3-2 16:44 |只看該作者
broadband 發表於 14-3-2 16:07
以上總總,讓我把她送進頗有名氣的LS而非IS...
Sounds like your mind was made up a long time ago, and your belief seems quite strong too judging from the many points you gave above, so why the doubt now?

From your first post, it seems the doubt was raised by a somewhat casual remark from a teacher who said "it is a waste for your child to stay in LS", it may be more productive to ask that teacher to elaborate, may be she could even give you some specific recommendations.

People here could only give you general comments, in fact if you do a search you'll find many more "LS versus IS" type posts, but I don't think you'll find anything in them that you don't already know.

12#
發表於 14-3-2 21:06 |只看該作者

" it's a waste for her to stay in LS because she likes exploring.""

Sounds like your daughter is doing brilliantly in current LS.
But calling it a waste?  Does the teacher imply she could achieve much more in IS?

13#
發表於 14-3-2 22:27 |只看該作者
broadband 發表於 14-3-2 16:07
一直以來,我都認為IS只是主張多看書,由小朋友自由發揮創意。...

I think your quote above is mainly referring ESF schools. When it comes to IS, a UK curriculum can look very different from an American or an IB one. IS comes in a spectrum as wide as various types of LS, such as St. Paul Co-Ed vs. DGS vs. CKY. For example, my boy mainly goes to a Montessori kindergarten but also attends ESF. The contrast between the two schools is so stark that although they both seem very 'free' schools, they do crank out very different kids. Further research can help you find out more if you really have the intention to look into putting your girl in one.

14#
發表於 14-3-2 22:43 |只看該作者

引用:好多謝大家的意見。 一直以來,我都認為IS

原帖由 broadband 於 14-03-02 發表
好多謝大家的意見。
一直以來,我都認為IS只是主張多看書,由小朋友自由發揮創意。但囡囡已很喜歡看書,而 ...
自由創作?
Is同外國的學校是教你怎去學習,找答案,而不是spoon feed你知識,並不是你所說的自由發揮,人家是有curriculum 啊。看你完全沒有準備下問這些問題,而且很主觀,又不去做school visit.IS 從頭到尾也不是你那杯茶

15#
發表於 14-3-2 22:55 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 jolalee 於 14-3-4 02:03 編輯

" it's a waste for her to stay in LS because she likes exploring."

This reminds me of a conversation i had with another mother just yesterday:
The mother has two intelligent boys and her younger one attended Kentville (根德園) for kindergarten. At that time he was a shining star; the teachers loved him because he was so smart, but at the same time he could never sit still and couldn't help 'bothering' other kids. For primary school he followed his elder brother's footstep and went to a super traditional school on the HK Island side. Since he was loud and jumpy, the teacher focused on 'keeping him in line', and in the process quenched his desire for learning. Although he was then transferred to a freer high school, the mother told me it was already too late. The young man is now 19 years old and refuses to go to college. The mom is not worried as he has a head full of ideas and she is sure he will do well. However, she does regret not putting him in an International school back then and said that she would definitely do so if she could only turn back the clock...

The point of mentioning the chance conversation above is to make sure, that the teacher who gave the above statement in regards to your daughter is not hinting at any possible problem. Is your daughter finding school boring? Is she in trouble with anything in certain ways that is hindering her motivation to learn? I think it is important to find out the reason behind the statement in order to determine what really needs to be done about it.

Like yourself, i have a lively and creative child. Even though I have determined from day one to place him in an International School setting, i am still struggling whether to put him where he fits well (IB setting) or a more disciplined environment to balance him out (UK or similar curriculum). This is not an easy decision and probably no right & wrong answer either. Anyhow, with the limited good IS options for primary entry, i'd be lucky if he gets into a good IS that we like anyhow. This decision will probably be determined for me by the lack of options   

All the best in your research and decisions!!

16#
發表於 14-3-7 15:19 |只看該作者
囡囡性格活潑,交際能力高,很受老師和同學歡迎。她說很多同學仰慕她,而且有太多朋友不知與誰玩。除了她不喜歡的中文及中文字艱深的常識外,其他科她都讀得很好。這兩年幾來,她在LS讀得還是挺開心的。

由細到大,很多朋友,家長同老師都讚她是叻女。有一次interview完一間有名氣的活動教學小學,校長還說我們很幸運“生了個咁叻既女“。也曾有一心理學家說她是一匹千里馬,如有一個伯樂,她將才華出眾。但我都沒有把那些說話放在心上。我一直認為她是有些小聰明,但她也很會表現自己,是俗話說的"識少少扮代表"的人。這次,相處半年的老師說如不送她進IS是浪費了她,LS不能給予她所需要的。令我又重新思考IS是否更適合她。在徵詢過其他老師的意見後, 她們都認為她好發問, 喜歡尋根究底及表達意見. 而且見解獨特. IS的學習方式適合她.

事實上,她不喜歡傳統學校的單向學習。而且她不是會勤力操練及認真記億來溫習的學生。加上她的粗心大意及容易緊張。可以預見,如她一直在LS讀上去,到考大學時並不會有很好的成績。

其實要我推翻自己一直以來對IS的看法, 重新考慮給囡囡讀IS, 真的很困擾,請大家給我一些意見。

17#
發表於 14-3-7 15:41 |只看該作者
Majority of is graduates further university education overseas. You may need to consider where you want your daughter to end up to be.
Btw, not sure which elite local school your daughter is now in, top IS all have waiting lists and it is not as easy to enter as one casually wishes

18#
發表於 14-3-7 16:21 |只看該作者
回覆 broadband 的帖子

"另一方面,聽聞的IS學生放任及吸毒問題在傳統名女校似乎不會發生。"  ==> 應該係IS 肯直接面對, LS 鍾意收埋, 驚死影響校譽. 之前驗毒計畫俾一班要面子"教育"人士破壞晒, 正PK.

"而且,囡囡的性格外向,喜歡與男仔玩。如讀IS,應該很早便拍拖。"  ==> 應該係性格, 係LS定IS 都冇關係.  
係LS 及所謂傳統女校選擇時, 男女關係都係我重要考慮, 結果選LS, 因為現今開放型社會, 除個人能力外, 社交及人際關係特別是男女相處之道, 對個人整體性格健康成長都好重要.  我個人不反對早拍拖, 只要明白"底線"便可.

19#
發表於 14-3-7 16:23 |只看該作者
broadband 發表於 14-3-7 15:19
囡囡性格活潑,交際能力高,很受老師和同學歡迎。她說很多同學仰慕她,而且有太多朋友不知與誰玩。除了她不 ...
其實你已經有答案. 想人認同你?

20#
發表於 14-3-7 16:34 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 oooray 於 14-3-7 16:37 編輯

回覆 broadband 的帖子

我覺得你應該信自己感覺多d;你係最清楚你個女的 人。其他老師/專家對你個女時間有限;冇理由人地一句就改變你(and你個女)一生?如果出年LS個老師叫你個女出國留學你又煩下去定唔去?

你擔心IS的問題完全合理;到中學絕對有機會遇到;

還有;LS跟IS要求好唔同;你說今天你個女係LS 萬千寵愛集一身 and proud of 的東西;過到去IS可能一文不值;
換句話說;;你同你個女或會有從天上跌落凡間的感覺。你可否接受?

個人意見 : 做個LS家長適合你多d。

點評

konimama    發表於 14-3-7 19:36
‹ 上一主題|下一主題