用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 海外留學 急,Help! State Hong Kong IBD or UK A-Level??
發新帖
查看: 1821|回覆: 9
go

急,Help! State Hong Kong IBD or UK A-Level?? [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 13-12-3 15:42 |只看該作者 |倒序瀏覽 |打印
亞女剛剛收到Lancing College Offer,但佢而家係香港讀緊IB課程,暫時成績都唔錯,亞女目標想考英國較好既大學,大家覺得去英國好定留係香港繼續讀IB,以IB成績去考英國d大學呢?謝謝!
   0    0    0    0

2#
發表於 13-12-3 16:24 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 kwokyk 於 13-12-3 16:30 編輯

Same case.
My DD also got offer from Lancing College and other schools. She is now studying MYP in HK. We decide to let her study abroad.
Which year does your daughter apply?

3#
發表於 13-12-3 16:53 |只看該作者
She studying in HK F.5 next year is Lower 6

4#
發表於 13-12-3 18:30 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 bobbycheung 於 13-12-3 18:32 編輯

3 ideas for your consideration:-
(1) First of all, you need to consider whether your girl is a IB person.  By that, I mean whether she can handle 2 languages, maths, science and humanity subjects reasonably well.  Some kids just can't do science and some can't manage humanity subjects.  In A-levels, you can pick and choose what you like.  But in IB, you don't have this luxury.  Of course, you could choose to do SL in your weak subjects.  Even then, some kids just can't do it.
(2) When we look at a school's university destination records, we must look at the subjects these kids take as well.  For example, in UK, we see some schools have a large number of students going to Oxbridge.  But if we look at the details closely, you will see that a lot of these students take eg. Classics, History, Natural Science, English... etc.  Not that these aren't great subjects, but are these the subjects that your kids want to take?  If not, the fact that the school has a lot of these students going to Oxbridge might not be as relevant as it first appears.
(3) If your kid joins the school in Lower 6, she might be competing for leadership roles etc. with students who have been studying in the school a lot longer.  Will she be able to stand out?  Will the teachers have sufficient time to get to know her well enough in order to write her a recommendation that would reflect her true potential?
There is no right or wrong.  Every case is different.  But I think the above factors are worth considering as well.

點評

Choisumwong  Comment on point 3. Usually sixth form teachers are not teaching lower forms.  Your academic level and achievement are enough for teachers to give recommendation. Not fair for 6th form teachers.  發表於 13-12-3 21:40

5#
發表於 13-12-3 20:37 |只看該作者
Thanks for you advice bobby Cheung!!! It helps a lot :)

6#
發表於 13-12-3 22:55 |只看該作者
u apply lancing sixth form through Academic Asia?
Me too

7#
發表於 13-12-4 00:52 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 bobbycheung 於 13-12-4 01:10 編輯

Choisumwong,

If we look at say Westminster School, they award a dozen of Queen’s Scholarships,  Honorary Scholarship and exhibitions (minor scholarships) to students as early as 13+.  These students build up their leadership roles, resumes and reputation over the next few years.  It is difficult to imagine Sixth Form teachers do not know these star students or have never heard of them.  It is equally hard to imagine teachers in the Sixth Form will treat these star students who have been with the school for years in exactly the same way as those who are completely new to the school.  When the Sixth Form teachers write a recommendation for these star students, will they completely disregard what these star students achieved prior to Sixth Form?  I doubt it.  Could the teachers write a recommendation with the same conviction and details when they have only known the new students for a year or so?  I don't think so.  Will it be difficult for a newcomer beat these star students to a leadership role?  You bet.  When Catherine's daughter's target is to get into one of the "better" universities (and not just any university), who would have a better chance in the circumstances?  The star students or the newcomer?

8#
發表於 13-12-4 07:12 |只看該作者
kwokyk 發表於 13-12-3 16:24
Same case.
My DD also got offer from Lancing College and other schools. She is now studying MYP in H ...
Apart from Lancing College, which school accepts your DD pls? she is so smart , get offer from many school.  

9#
發表於 13-12-4 08:09 |只看該作者
Check PM pls

10#
發表於 13-12-4 09:58 |只看該作者
回覆 bobbycheung 的帖子

To be honest, if the kids' target is to be recommended for leadership, it sounds like impossible. What I mean is that other area of talents should be recommended. Oxbridge does not just look for leadership. You can not imagine if there are only leaders in university. I agree that top schools have very smart students and teachers. Brain storm and interaction with students and teachers really benefit international students. Oxbridge should not be only target for international students. Thanks for your reply and sharing.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題