1#
發表於 13-5-24 18:44 |只看該作者 |倒序瀏覽 |打印
女兒現在就讀本地學校中三,如果過了暑假唸IBDP(Y12)的話,會沒辦法應付嗎?新學校已經收了她可是擔心會很困難
能給一些意見嗎?

0    0    0    0

2#
發表於 13-5-24 19:46 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 WYmom 於 13-5-24 19:46 編輯

Which school?  Maybe your daughter is very intelligent so the school allows her "jump" to IBD?

3#
發表於 13-5-24 20:58 |只看該作者

回覆:跳班?

Check pm?

4#
發表於 13-5-24 21:01 |只看該作者
回復 lsm0113 的帖子

Is there any special reason that you want to "skip" a class?  I would have thought it is better to spend a year adjusting to a new environment and curriculum before jumping into IBDP which is not easy?
今日佳句: 我以往也以為國際板的家長也有質素,但現在才知deal with 一些麻煩家長也不易!  

5#
發表於 13-5-25 00:49 |只看該作者

回覆:跳班?

There isn't really a special reason. It was just that my kid was a 大女when she entered primary school and the school thinks she should do DP for her age and thinks she would be okay after looking at her grades

6#
發表於 13-5-25 11:14 |只看該作者
I think one important concern you should consider is your daughter's English proficiency. Obviously, IBDP in HK is conducted in English. Even if your daughter gets admitted to an IS that is less "international" and there would be no problem for her to communicate with her classmates, she really needs excellent proficiency in English to do well in IBDP.

In IBDP, your daughter will have to choose 6 subjects. I'm assuming that she has to study English as either a group 1 (more likely) or group 2 subject. Even if her course combination is more science-heavy (e.g. 2 science subjects plus Maths SL/HL), she still needs to deal with English plus a group 3 subject, which is also quite English-heavy in many ways.

I took English Literature HL as my group 1 subject in the IBDP. Obviously, not many people choose Eng Lit HL given its difficulty, but even if your daughter will take Eng Lit SL (or Eng Lang Lit which I'm not too familiar with), the course contents are actually quite similar. The two oral internal assessments are definitely hard for non-native English speakers. (and they are the same for both Eng SL and HL) If she can't articulate her ideas in English like a (near) native speaker can, she's pretty much put at a disadvantage. And this is only for the English orals. In the written exams, time is limited but she is required to write A LOT. It'd be very hard for her if English isn't her strongest strength. (My English teacher said writing a 6-page commentary in the exam would be the minimum requirement to getting a decent grade)

Say, her English isn't strong enough but she can take English B as her group 2 subject with Chinese in group 1, she still needs to study a group 3 humanities subject that is rather English heavy. Obviously, if you take History, it'd be extremely English-heavy. However, I took Economics HL as my group 3 subject and also found it hard for someone whose English proficiency isn't the best. We are given limited time in the external written exams but we have to write a lot and think very fast in English in order to write enough materials in our exam essay. One of my Economics classmates is a non-native English speaker and she really struggled with both English and Economics, even though she does all the other science-heavy subjects as part of her IBDP. (2 science subjects and Maths, all at higher level)

To be honest, materials wise, I wouldn't be too worried. Many subjects in IB teach from the very basics (especially the science subjects), but group 1 - 3 subjects may require some pre-obtained knowledge which your daughter may struggle to catch up with if she's never learnt them.

Would you mind telling us what subjects she's planning to take in IBDP?

7#
發表於 13-5-25 13:09 |只看該作者
回復 lsm0113 的帖子

If there is no special reason to skip a grade, why rush?  I am not sure your reasons for moving to an IS.  But there will be a lot of adjustments involved from proficiency of English as others have pointed out, to teaching methods, to new group of friends, to new environment, to new curriculum, to getting involved in school activities, ....  Unless you think all of these can be handled easily, I think it is better to spend a year to take it all in.  Don't forget, if you are applying for US colleges, your last two years will be extremely busy.  Most of Grade 11 will be spent taking SATs and other tests.  Early part of Grade 12 will be about writing essays to fill in college applications.  And all of these will be on top of a very demanding IBDP program.  
今日佳句: 我以往也以為國際板的家長也有質素,但現在才知deal with 一些麻煩家長也不易!  

8#
發表於 13-5-25 14:12 |只看該作者
1st year of the IBDP programme is very important in terms of university application.  Students make the application at the beginning of the 2nd year based on the predicted grade of the 1st year.  Do you think your daughter can fit in well and do well in the 1st year?
‹ 上一主題|下一主題