用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 今日去參觀Harrow,其實無想像中咁多大陸人既學生! ...
樓主: JosephineSam
go

今日去參觀Harrow,其實無想像中咁多大陸人既學生! [複製鏈接]

41#
發表於 13-4-30 19:16 |只看該作者
回復 hkparent 的帖子

For ESF, I am quite sure that over 70% are HK residents. So called mainland Chinese are mostly oversea Chinese. There is nothing wrong with it because most foreigners will not stay in HK with their family. Even teachers are difficult to recruit from UK. If someone want more mixture of different nationalities, Harrow HK will be a good option.

42#
發表於 13-4-30 19:37 |只看該作者

引用:I+have+heard+that+ESF+and+GSIS+have+some

原帖由 hkparent 於 13-04-30 發表
I have heard that ESF and GSIS have some 80-90% of HK students and Mainland students in the secondar ...
There is a document published by the EDB which has precise demography information. ESF's range is quite large and GSIS's HK locals was 19.4% at Sep 2011.

I notice generally schools located near HK island closer to central has a lower percentage of local and mainland Chinese. When you reach Kowloon and NT, the % is higher.

The more bizzare a thing is, the less mysterious it proves to be.

43#
發表於 13-4-30 22:04 |只看該作者
HKTHK 發表於 13-4-29 15:23
回復 Mighty 的帖子

I think the reference is to the mainlanders who work in HK and not the ones who  ...

可能這一代(現在是20左右的)的大陸人会好小小、、、、、。 我AUNTIE是在香港XX大学工作的、這10年内来了非常多的大陸教授(助教)、初初以為教授級応該好D身教、但係真係不敢恭維、個人自身的修維、大声吐痰、一大陣煙味等等、用過的宿舎、真係生人勿近。 総知覚得KUI地有種観念就係、5係自己GE野、GE地方、話知你死。
Mighty
love you for you
自分に負けるな!!

44#
發表於 13-4-30 22:30 |只看該作者
回復 Mighty 的帖子

No one washes a rental car !
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

45#
發表於 13-4-30 23:28 |只看該作者

回覆:shadeslayer 的帖子

I think most Chinese are in GSIS' English section, not the German section. I have a friend in the secondary section of KGV. There are only one or two foreigners in the class, with the rest being Chinese.

46#
發表於 13-5-1 06:01 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 shadeslayer 於 13-5-1 06:36 編輯
hkparent 發表於 13-4-30 23:28
I think most Chinese are in GSIS' English section, not the German section. I have a friend in the se ...

Did you really think the German section has as many as 19.4% HK local?  The number I quoted was for English section.
KGV has 13.6% Chinese.

There are 8.7% and 12% Canadians in GSIS and KGV respectively.  A large number of them may be emigrated Chinese.  They may have grown up in Canada and do they really count as Chinese in terms of culture?

Imagine these schools before 97, there is no denying every IS has more local and mainland Chinese.  I am not overly bothered by this in general except for some schools with extra ordinarily high percentage of locals/mainland like YCIS/Kingston.  That is just my personal preference, you may like them for their better Chinese learning environment.

Find out more for yourself

http://www.edb.gov.hk/attachment/en/student-parents/ncs-students/overview/Prospectus-Dec%202012-final.pdf

47#
發表於 13-5-1 09:20 |只看該作者

回覆:shadeslayer 的帖子

Thank you for the statistics. I don't think the Mainland Chinese in the International schools in HK hold HK or Mainland passports. Most if not all hold US, Canada or Australian passports. They have money or other means to become citizens of these countries. I know quite a number of them.

48#
發表於 13-5-1 09:21 |只看該作者
回復 shadeslayer 的帖子

I actually see a lot of parents originated from mainland china devoted a lot of their time to their kids education, working as volunteers at school, etc. Not anything like generalization here...

49#
發表於 13-5-1 09:28 |只看該作者
回復 shadeslayer 的帖子

Yes, there are a lot of dark side under the current situation but do you think people are also the victim? How many Hong Konger are actually originated from mainland China, like they swam across the sea to reach Hong Kong? Pointing fingers at people's quality... I think it is totally prejudice.

50#
發表於 13-5-1 10:22 |只看該作者

引用:+本帖最後由+shadeslayer+於+13-5-1+06:36+

本帖最後由 nintendo 於 13-5-1 10:51 編輯
原帖由 shadeslayer 於 13-05-01 發表
本帖最後由 shadeslayer 於 13-5-1 06:36 編輯

The figures can only tell u the nationality of students.

Canadians are most probably offsprings of Hong Kongers that emigrated to Canada;not necessarity western kids
They have separated "hk local" (ie those with SAR passport only) from "Chinese" ( those from chiina with no rights of abode, ie what people call 大陸人).

Yew Chung has 27% Chinese, 41% HK local
Shatin Junior has 22% Chinese, 18.2% HK local
Shatin College has 10% Chinese, 17.9% HK local
Harrow has 0% Chinese, 30% HK local

Harrow has  zero Chinese national.

PS  These are facts and I am not trying to reach any conclusions. Whether parents like this combination is up to them. I have no problem with being in the same schools with children of B6 since I see most of the B6 parents are educated and behave decently.

51#
發表於 13-5-1 10:27 |只看該作者

引用:Quote:原帖由+shadeslayer+於+13-05-01+發

本帖最後由 nintendo 於 13-5-1 10:45 編輯

duplicated, deleted

52#
發表於 13-5-1 10:40 |只看該作者
其実都好GE,多D B6離開大陸、在外面看一看、知道下貪汚Ge悪果、希望KUI地将来帯D好習慣帯番去。  但香港「児家」真係要GAU好亞湯単野、成個ICAC被KUI一個人製衰SAAI !!
Mighty
love you for you
自分に負けるな!!

53#
發表於 13-5-1 11:04 |只看該作者
hkparent 發表於 13-4-30 23:28
I think most Chinese are in GSIS' English section, not the German section. I have a friend in the secondary section of KGV. There are only one or two foreigners in the class, with the rest being Chinese.

Those statistics are most misleading.
A lot of students are children of parents from Hong Kong, Taiwan and CHina that have a foreign passport. My children and my nephews and nieces are all considered non "HK locals" because they have only foreign passports (born outside Hong Kong and never got HKSAR passport). But they are 100% ethnic Chinese.
In any case, I do not see how these figures can tell use anything other than the passport they hold.
To be honest, asian kids normally preform a lot better academically, while western kids would like to spend more time with sports.

54#
發表於 13-5-1 11:58 |只看該作者

回覆:今日去參觀Harrow,其實無想像中咁多大陸人既學生!

本帖最後由 shadeslayer 於 13-5-1 12:32 編輯

If HK local have Canadian passport, or mainlanders have American passport, they may have been brought up in Canada or America, with western culture. Or they are just 100% HK/mainland with a foreign passport, we never know.

What is your concern here? Chinese and HK as a race in IS, or Chinese and HK as a culture in IS.

As I said I am not overly bothered by the percentage and am definitely not over-analyzing the situation, a waste of time in my opinion. The % is going up, with fewer expats compared to 97 and more and more HK mainlanders entering IS in HK.

55#
發表於 13-5-1 12:19 |只看該作者

引用:Quote:hkparent+發表於+13-4-30+23:28+I+th

本帖最後由 shadeslayer 於 13-5-1 12:54 編輯
原帖由 nintendo 於 13-05-01 發表
Those statistics are most misleading.
A lot of students are children of parents from Hong Kong, Tai ...

If you want to find out the mix of ethnicity, yes they are misleading. Then again the table was not put together for that purpose. What is important here?  American Chinese or Canadian Chinese may have western culture.

The numbers are still useful not literally on the percentage, but broadly speaking the student mix.  You can tell schools like island school, west island school or south island schools have a much lower percentage of Chinese community (which ever way you define that) than say Kingston or YCIS.

56#
發表於 13-5-1 12:49 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 bobbycheung 於 13-5-1 12:50 編輯

依個世界好現實, 如果 Harrow HK 將來成績好好, 好多同學入到一流大學, 話之佢全校都係大陸人, 大家一樣爭崩頭想入.  如果成績好差, 就算全校都係純種外國人, 大家一樣覺得唔係咁吸引.

57#
發表於 13-5-1 14:34 |只看該作者

回覆:bobbycheung 的帖子

I see that most top students in international schools in Hong Kong are Chinese. I am curious to know whether the westerners do not put enough efforts or they are less intelligent. But ironically, those successful MNCs are founded or managed by westerners, and most Nobel prizes are awarded to westerners. So, are academic results the only thing we are looking at?

58#
發表於 13-5-1 14:41 |只看該作者
shadeslayer 發表於 13-5-1 11:58
What is your concern here?

I am sure your question was not addressed to me. Or was it?
Because I am not concerned at all with culture mix. May be some people are, but well, they have their rights to be concerned. And if they are that concerned, then they may just as well avoid schools like Yew Chung or STC as theses schools have more Chinese/HKers.
The reason why I posted my messages were that you put a link here regarding passports. Well, I am sure that tells us something, but other than that, it cannot proof or dis-proof anything -----  ie which schools have more ethnic Chiense. And that is it.

59#
發表於 13-5-1 14:46 |只看該作者
bobbycheung 發表於 13-5-1 12:49
依個世界好現實, 如果 Harrow HK 將來成績好好, 好多同學入到一流大學, 話之佢全校都係大陸人, 大家一樣爭 ...

True.
I suggest people check out the university placements of different IS, in particular compare within ESF, since ESF schools have similar curriculum etc. Most students that perform well are asians from STC and KGV (probably other ESF schools on the island too but again mostly asians). Still dislike asians or chinese students? Well, may be schools should thank them. These are the students that help schools to earn recognitions because they usually have very good grades.

60#
發表於 13-5-1 14:59 |只看該作者
shadeslayer 發表於 13-5-1 12:19
The numbers are still useful not literally on the percentage, but broadly speaking the student mix.  You can tell schools like island school, west island school or south island schools have a much lower percentage of Chinese community (which ever way you define that) than say Kingston or YCIS.

That was why I said it was misleading.
No, you cannot tell from the figures.
A lot of Chinese have foreign passport and with this in mind, you cannot come to any conclusion.

However, I agree that may western families are living on the island. And from information provided by friends at ESF schools on the island, we can SEE that there are fewer chinese or asian.

I was not trying to correct you or anything. I am sure you know so much. I just wanted to point out to OTHER PEOPLE that the figures were only about the passport people hold.

I am not in any way concerened. I think we must look at a school as a whole and decide whether it is good. I am not going to judge a school by counting how many Chinese there are. Ask any people that know ESF schools well and they will tell you that STC and KGV are good schools for different reasons, actually a lot of the ESF community know that those on the island are a lot less academic (the students). And I have a friend with a child that was once with Yew Chung and he later went to an ivy league school. Of course, some people will say that the person must be an outlier. Oh well, whatever. I think people that are biased would be biased anyway, so statistics would not be of any use anyway.

In any case, looks like I have said something a lot of people would not like to hear. So I would rather not discuss this further.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題