而你地d小朋友係成功入到IS。可唔可以分享下你地係點做?thx!

2    0    0    0

2#
發表於 13-3-1 23:43 |只看該作者
One parent speaks English the other speaks Mandarin {:1_1:}

3#
發表於 13-3-1 23:43 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 hoeve 於 13-3-1 23:53 編輯

My child is studying in IS. I have a domestic helper who  take care for my child and they talk in English all the time. I mainly speak Cantonese with my child (except in some occasion e.g. went to playgroup as the playgroup require parents don't use Cantonese in the classroom, read English story book...)When my child was around 1 year old, I let my child went to English playgroup and attend English speaking nursery in order to let the child to immerge in an English speaking English.
I know some parents who speak mainly Cantonese with their child and now their kids go to IS too. From my own experience, it is possible but need some more arrangement and effort to make sure the child can communicate very well in English. Hope this help

點評

Radiomama  same here!  發表於 13-3-2 09:29
桐桐於9月20日出世 歡迎參觀桐桐的網頁

4#
發表於 13-3-2 09:03 |只看該作者

回覆:有冇屋企唔係同小朋友講英文嘅媽媽

English only at home but they pick up some Cantonese when they attend the ECA classes.

5#
發表於 13-3-2 10:00 |只看該作者

回覆:hoeve 的帖子

It depends on which IS...?! GSIS, Cdnis, HKIS are quite impossible to get in if your kid is not compatible to native speakers...
ESF was just discriminating Cantonese, if kids speak mandarin or Taiwanese with a minimal level was ok. But from next year, the admission criteria will solely test the kids English proficiency.

點評

jolalee  agree.  發表於 13-3-2 21:36

冬日勳章

6#
發表於 13-3-3 02:47 |只看該作者

引用:+本帖最後由+hoeve+於+13-3-1+23:53+編輯+\

原帖由 hoeve 於 13-03-01 發表
本帖最後由 hoeve 於 13-3-1 23:53 編輯

My child is studying in IS. I have a domestic helper who  t ...
Does your maid work for your family when your kid was born? I don't have one now but considering to hire one. I'm going to let my girl having some pg classes while she is 1 yr old and apply for a international nursery. How many days you put your kid in pg each week? And which IS is your kid studying and how old is he/she now? Thanks for your help.

冬日勳章

7#
發表於 13-3-3 02:50 |只看該作者

引用:It+depends+on+which+IS...?!+GSIS,+Cdnis,

原帖由 Shrimpiggy 於 13-03-02 發表
It depends on which IS...?! GSIS, Cdnis, HKIS are quite impossible to get in if your kid is not comp ...
I can teach my girl Taiwanese, I speak quite well Taiwanese.

8#
發表於 13-3-5 14:16 |只看該作者

After decided to apply IS at age 3.5. I started speaking english with my son. We did not have maid.  A bit late but works.

冬日勳章

9#
發表於 13-3-5 16:45 |只看該作者

引用:After+decided+to+apply+IS+at+age+3.5.+I+

原帖由 judymama 於 13-03-05 發表
After decided to apply IS at age 3.5. I started speaking english with my son. We did not have maid.  ...
Which IS your boy is studying now? you must speak very good English!

10#
發表於 13-3-5 16:53 |只看該作者

引用:Quote:原帖由+judymama+於+13-03-05+發表Af

原帖由 Jayelle 於 13-03-05 發表
Which IS your boy is studying now? you must speak very good English!
CAIS.  my son memory is good. Therefore pick up fast.  Also. We bought him DWE disney world of english at age 3 that helped and graduated DWE within 1 year.

11#
發表於 13-3-6 17:40 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 acdad 於 13-3-6 17:47 編輯

回復 Jayelle 的帖子

We only speak Cantonese at home and allow the kids to watch  Cantonese , Mandarin and English TV programs/movies. They both attended English speaking nursery and kinders before they entered IS.

BTW, all the maids at home speak English. :)

12#
發表於 13-3-7 12:09 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 LeeTai818 於 13-3-7 12:16 編輯

Big Big mistakes to avoid are :

1 - Let kids learn/speak English with Php helpers  
==> to avoid kids picking up bad English and Php accents from Php helpers, we'd rather hire non "English" speaking helpers

2 - Parents who are not native English speakers communicate with kids in English
==> same reason, this will "pollute" kids native English accent they learn from native English teachers outside/at school. Learning is easy for kids but getting rid of bad habits/accent takes time.

3 - English language skill is everything
==> Wrong again.  I happen to know of some IS/top IS style private schools executives in HK.  Most of them opine that knowledge and critical thinking of kids are more important than English language skill.  Kids will pick up language skill very quickly after they have got in anyway.  As long as they understand the kids, they can communicate with them. That's good enough.  Having been learning 3 years in kindergarten from a native English teacher will sure enable a kids to reach this "conversational" level.   

Just my 2-cents to share.  Nothing personal.

p.s. Off track a bit, learning English should never be more important than 用母語溝通的親子關係。

13#
發表於 13-3-7 13:40 |只看該作者
I think having helpers who speak English can help facilitate the use of the English language at home, but we must be aware of their shortcomings since it is still their second language. Many IS may not accept kids raised speaking in broken English full of grammatical error and heavy filipino accent.

Personally I often had to correct my helper's English so that my son wouldn't pick up on the errors (fortunately she doesn't mind and accepted it as a learning process for herself). A friend of mine wouldn't even allow his helpers to speak to his daughter, which i find a bit extreme for people living under the same roof.

Anyhow I just want to raise this issue in case there are parents who rely on having live-in helpers as a source of language learning for their kids.

14#
發表於 13-3-7 14:11 |只看該作者

We speak Cantonese most of the time.  Only during the "English Fun" with my kids in the evening we talk in English. We are not native speaker and actually quite poor in English, just頂硬上some times in order to facilitate the kids to practice.
Sometimes let them watch a bit of English cartoon such as Clifford, Kipper the Dog...etc. and play book CD at home as well. But when the kids meet with the cousins, they talk English all the time.

15#
發表於 13-3-7 14:35 |只看該作者

It really depends on how good u can speak english when u consider this…

16#
發表於 13-3-7 22:41 |只看該作者

我都想知

醒目開學勳章

17#
發表於 13-3-8 10:46 |只看該作者
我成家同亞女都係講廣東話的
N1都係讀LOCAL
以家K1就轉左去IS
個問題出現左,
亞女既英文, 差唔多全班最差
老師話佢唔係好敢講
我以家就搵D 1對2既英文ORAL堂俾亞女一個星期上一次
希望佢有多D機會講....遲D會好D

我家工人姐姐講英文D音好怪, 所以我唔會指意工人
而我亦見好多家長同小朋友一開始就講英文既
小朋友大左, 唔係好肯講中文/讀中文
對我來講, 我英文唔好, 所以一定唔會咁做
而且中文/廣東話係好難學的.
如果將來都係讀IS, 就唔好一開始就放棄中文

我女以家K1, 我都開始教佢認中文字,
我想佢大約識20-30個
係街見到佢識既宇, 佢都會好開心咁講我知

醒目開學勳章

18#
發表於 13-3-8 10:47 |只看該作者
即係我想講,
如果係IS到讀, 英文遲早會好
所以唔好放棄咁難而又必要既中文

19#
發表於 13-3-8 11:06 |只看該作者

我都諗住當亞女八月在IS開學後,就自己從新再學中文,歷史,文化呀等等。我自己中文都好唔掂啊!想教都唔知點教.....

20#
發表於 13-3-8 11:15 |只看該作者
回復 crystalpui 的帖子

Don't worry about them speaking.  I think it takes 4-6 months for a child to start speaking after being in an immersion environment since it will take time for them to build their language skills to a point where they are comfortable speaking.
Can't agree more with you on Chinese.  I spend the bulk of my time worrying about it than English since it is so much easier to learn.
今日佳句: 我以往也以為國際板的家長也有質素,但現在才知deal with 一些麻煩家長也不易!  
‹ 上一主題|下一主題