用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 One strategic step closer to HKIS, CIS, AISHK, CDNIS ...
發新帖
樓主: jolalee
go

One strategic step closer to HKIS, CIS, AISHK, CDNIS & ICS [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 13-2-23 22:54 |顯示全部帖子
回復 jolalee 的帖子

I think if you aim at top overseas university, you should aim at LS. Get a top results and aim at a reputable overseas high school at 14 or 15. At the end they look for good exam results.  None of the IS (even HKIS or CIS) get you there as good as the top LS, if you have no connection.

I know 2 friends with kids at CIS secondary, and neither consider the top overseas universities as realistic choices, these are mostly reserved for those with good connection and those transferred from LS, and very few home breed 路人甲families.

2#
發表於 13-2-23 22:57 |顯示全部帖子
回復 jolalee 的帖子

CIS is "not" known for academic, and the atmosphere is play play play, and freedom freedom freedom. Your kid need extremely good self initiative or you need to push so hard.

3#
發表於 13-2-25 00:05 |顯示全部帖子
If you need to ask about IB scores, you care about academics and good university placement and i am afraid, with child of same intelligence, the best is still to go the LS > elite LS > overseas high school route. A handful wiill though transfer to GSIS first (esp DGS girls). We have to accept that most children need to be pushed and LS still chunks out better exam scores. I have friends in both top LS and IS secondary and the above is really a consensus in that circle. Sometimes, I couldn't understand why some bloggers here always insist the oppposite.

I am a fan of IS but i won't try to mislead here. Still i will put my kid in IS as i want him to have a happier childhood. Still, that effectively strips him the chance to become a doctor, and a lower chance to get into top universities. For me, that's okay, life is much more and much longer than that. But fact is fact. I would not say every single bit about IS is better than LS.

4#
發表於 13-2-25 14:25 |顯示全部帖子
回復 bobbycheung 的帖子

It is a known fact that CIS and GSIS recruited a lot of top grade LS students. It is still better to start at LS, if academic is what u look for. I know girl started at st Stephen girls at early secondary, then to DGS then to GSIS then to a top overseas high school!!
I know people at CIS and most good university placements go to alumni, sponsors and top students from LS. For home breed middle class families, it is not as good as it seems .Still, I believe in pedigree and CIS is certainly still my top target.

Your example is not correct, that's why I am always sceptical of media. The market price for sponsoring one student is US$5 million, not 2.2 million for two. I think they know the price but want to go to "back door" way . Or perhaps their background is not good enough.

5#
發表於 13-2-25 17:31 |顯示全部帖子
回復 bobbycheung 的帖子

No. They vet the background as well. So even if I have that money , i would not help. There is no guarantee nor is it a published price. It is a ball park no that those in that circle knows. Of course ,if you are those mr li(s) they expect more. ( I heard it from my friends with kid in CIS and some top US high schools).
The top US universities will be swamped with mainland ( and Indian and Korean) students because their SAT scores are very very high.

6#
發表於 13-2-25 17:42 |顯示全部帖子
回復 bobbycheung 的帖子

I always refrain from using the word "all" as we don't live in a all or nothing world. If you know friends whose kids are in CIS secondary planning for tertiary, you know what I am talking about.
Top IS is a good stepping stone, as my st Stephen / DGS/ GSIS girl example above. Also, many top SPCC students leave for top high schools at 13-15.

As I said, I like IS but we cannot insist it is good at everything. When you got something,it is more often than not that there is a price to be paid.

7#
發表於 13-2-25 17:46 |顯示全部帖子
回復 bobbycheung 的帖子

No. If you have money and good background, you can get into top university whichever high school you attended. Or, for most if not all parents here, you need top academic results. On this, LS does it better as they pushed the kids , that some may become book worms or unhappy is another question.

8#
發表於 13-2-25 18:07 |顯示全部帖子
Also CIS has quite a number of parents who are alumni of those top universities. If they make regular donations ( which many will) it is easier for them to get in.

9#
發表於 13-2-25 20:35 |顯示全部帖子
Sorry to make some parents feel offended. I just want to share knowlege, which i believe are facts from friends i trust, and who are parents of kids at CIS, GSIS, DBS, DGS, SPCC and some top US and UK high schools (I know no one at HKIS, and so can't tell). Of course, i also wish the truth is otherwise.

10#
發表於 13-3-4 12:53 |顯示全部帖子
回復 jolalee 的帖子

Are you a canadian passport holder? The school said from13/14 onwards, it is unlikely anyone not fitting in any of the priority list will get an interview, let alone a seat.

Also, for others' information, the school said the date of application no longer counts any more.

11#
發表於 13-3-7 11:42 |顯示全部帖子
I had contacted CDNIS some time ago, prior to 2012 earlier applications did have some advantage. Not any more, still you can apply any time.

Now, all on priority lists (mainly siblings and passport holder) will be interviewed (300+), all those not in the list will not (200+). 100+ had been assessed as pass and 40 seat offered with rest on waiitng list.

So, non passport holder need not apply and waste $2350, i was advised.

12#
發表於 13-3-8 12:03 |顯示全部帖子
回復 jolalee 的帖子

The numbers are for 2012. I was told the waitlist will not be carried forward to the next year, not like ESF. Need to reapply. You better ask yourself in case your are given the offer.

I am not a canadian passport holder. So, I will not apply waste money, unless they change the policy.

13#
發表於 13-7-25 19:23 |顯示全部帖子
回復 pppwong 的帖子

I had called them several times, it was always to voicemail. In the return calls, I recognised 2 different voices, one very unhelpful and a bit rude, the other very helpful (and provided the info above). So depends on your luck. Perhaps you leave messages in english, may help!!!

Regarding debenture, I checked with friends later, there is no longer second hand market for years, so just forget it. I gave up finding out how to "acquire after enrolment". There are now only 3 "tradeable" debentures, the one with CIS can only be acquired by sizeable listed companies and have limited duration, the one by Harrow no one offer for sale yet, the one by ISF now quoting $6.8 million (!!!). So, i suppose none viable for most moms here.

I was told the application date no longer matters. You may ask again. As i am not a canadian passport holder, i may not apply for prereception or reception (only 40 seats, guess barely enough for siblings). Perhpas wait for preparatory (grade 1 in esf), seems there are 5 classes of 20 (or 25?) each, and see if any change in policy, But that is some years down the road.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題