用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 One strategic step closer to HKIS, CIS, AISHK, CDNIS ...
樓主: jolalee
go

One strategic step closer to HKIS, CIS, AISHK, CDNIS & ICS [複製鏈接]

61#
發表於 13-3-1 11:19 |只看該作者
回復 Shootastar 的帖子

Also, I don't have experience with DSS students yet in the workplace, as DSS is still a rather new creature.  I can tell you that those people are not from poor family and thus I do not see how their parents did not spend time and money on them.

62#
發表於 13-3-1 11:44 |只看該作者
回復 Shrimpiggy 的帖子

I can't agree more!

63#
發表於 13-3-1 11:52 |只看該作者
回復 DreamKid 的帖子

Sure!, Non-academic skills are as important as academic skills. I have no doubt about that.

I have not side-tracked the discussion. If one wants to compare the soft (non academic skills) of LS and IS and draws the conclusion that IS students (on average) is better than LS students, we have to need to know the reasons why it is. Money matters as far as education (either soft or academic skills) is concerned.

64#
發表於 13-3-1 11:57 |只看該作者
回復 DreamKid 的帖子

Yes, you tell the point. DSS students come from families who can afford to pay more so the performance of DSS students (on average) would not be inferior to IS students.

I know you do not have much knowledge about DSS students because they are new creatures. However, you will be amazed by the academic performance of the students from DGS, DBS or St. Paul Co-ed. Last year alone, there were about 38 students of St. Paul Co-ed admitted to the medical school of HKU. You may click into their websites to find out the information if you are interested.

65#
發表於 13-3-1 11:59 |只看該作者
回復 Shootastar 的帖子

I did not draw that conclusion!

66#
發表於 13-3-1 12:05 |只看該作者
回復 Shootastar 的帖子

Okay, they go the HKU medical school.  Does that proof that they have or they have not good soft skills? I actually know a girl from DGS went to HKU Medical School before DGS was a DSS.  And so?

I don't undestand why people also jump to that "LS is better than IS" or "IS is better than LS" conclusion at once.

67#
發表於 13-3-1 12:29 |只看該作者
回復 DreamKid 的帖子

"My company has many people came from good schools.  Some of them even got the highest mark in the world in their professional exam.  However, when it comes to work, they somehow seem not able to see the issues and come up with proposed solutions.  They are also very week in handling people.  

These people are doing fine when they are junior staff.  However, when they move up, they just don't have the soft skills to cope with the challenge"

If I am not wrong in understanding the above statement, I have the impression that LS students (on average) are infereior to IS or overseas boarder as far as soft skills are concerned. Please correct me if I am wrong.

68#
發表於 13-3-1 12:43 |只看該作者
haha, Dreamkid, when I replied "I can't agree more", I originally also typed "but I am sure you will be seriously challenged and end up having a ideological debate between IS kids vs LS kids", but I just deleted and I didn't expect the attacks could come so quickly and with so many. I think many should have a relaxed mind in understanding one is only saying what he honestly sees and observes. And what one observes does reveal something that deserve our close scrutiny of what is lacking in any system to see how things can move forward. When it becomes a debate between "whether you IS kids are superior or we LS kids are worse", this is only a bickering.

69#
發表於 13-3-1 12:48 |只看該作者
sorry, I got it wrong. I didn't say "I can't agree more". But I said to the same effect "I entirely understand what you are saying"

70#
發表於 13-3-1 12:53 |只看該作者
I think we should put aside unnecessary bickering. When one says he sees good IS students with such and such qualities, it doesn't help the disucssion by saying but we have DGS,DBS graduates with such and such academic results. There are top students in both streams, and with their top qualities, they should be able to fare well in another stream. A more constructive discussion would be to identify what qualifies of a particular stream "seems" to be missing from the other, and what is that? why is that? how can it be obtained elsewhere? This would be a more meaningful discussion. In fact, local stream is moving towards critical thinking, project assignments, whilst international stream only stresses on academics. Any disuccsion otherwise would be a debate like whether communism or capitalism is better system

71#
發表於 13-3-1 12:59 |只看該作者

引用:回復+DreamKid+的帖子 Yes,+you+tell+the+

原帖由 Shootastar 於 13-03-01 發表
回復 DreamKid 的帖子

Yes, you tell the point. DSS students come from families who can afford to pay ...
While there are 38 students in SPCC admitted to medi in hku. Local band one school 林護 has a few more students than SPCC get admitted to medi school ( some in cu)

72#
發表於 13-3-1 13:59 |只看該作者
回復 jeff76916 的帖子

I actually did not say anything about LS.  What I sad was I found westerners also value things other than academic.  My elder one's school is spposed to be very academic among IS, her classmate moved to another IS which is supposed to be more all arounded.

I also said I see people very academic but lack of soft skills make them not going further as they move up the corporate ladder.  I never thought of coming to the conclusion that IS is better than LS.  So, I do not understand how my comment cause all the disputes here.

Those people I mentioned did come from local school but that is not my point and thus I did not mention in my original post that they are LS students.  I've done recruitment before and met with some very bright students from HKU.  So, I don't think that LS students are necessarily inferior.  Those bright students probably chose ibank instead of my company.

I was referring to the point quoted on what the Open U person said about the local system.  I personally think if you have very strong academic result, you will have very high chance get into good university.  Graduating with good grades from good university will likely give you the ticket to big company.  From that point on, soft skills play a more and more important role as we move along.  I think it is not right to think an education system is all fine because we can send people to good universities.  Universities are a place getting us prepared for the workplace.  It is just the beginning not the end.  

73#
發表於 13-3-1 14:05 |只看該作者
I also said that HK parents value a lot on academic, even for parents like us (or I should say me) who put our kid in IS.  We still prefer academic IS.

74#
發表於 13-3-1 14:39 |只看該作者
回復 jeff76916 的帖子

"A more constructive discussion would be to identify what qualifies of a particular stream "seems" to be missing from the other, and what is that? why is that?"

I have already identified one major factor - money. If you put more money in one's education, there is a higher tendency that he receives more soft skill training (non-academic).

It is always said that LS kids lack of creativity. However, if you do not have a chance to know the basics techniques which help to create, how can you expect one to write a popular song without the knowledge of playing violin, piano or other instruments or musical theory. It needs money to nurture someone of soft skills.

75#
發表於 13-3-1 14:45 |只看該作者
回復 lui 的帖子

Thanks for your sharing. Lam Woo is indeed a fabulous school, not only in Kwai Chung or Tsuen Wan districts, but in the whole territory of Hong Kong.

76#
發表於 13-3-1 14:55 |只看該作者

回覆:Shootastar 的帖子

Yes, u identified money. Thank you

77#
發表於 13-3-2 13:58 |只看該作者

回覆:DreamKid 的帖子

Can't agree more. You seem to be a senior person in a corporate. Please share how you nurture your children. Thank you very much. You don't need to argue with those local parents. We understand what you are trying to say.

78#
發表於 13-3-2 18:02 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 jolalee 於 13-3-2 18:07 編輯

I started this thread simply to seek advice on whether a Montessori system or an ESF system would better prepare my child for the application of the captioned schools. I think a comparison between LS & IS is way beyond the subject here, as all the schools in discussion are IS based.

21Ckid kindly raised the point that if academic is the main concern (through reading between the lines and noticed that i was academic focused), then there is an alternative path which would yield higher high school scores. Whether we'd like to follow it in exchange of other aspects we also value is our own choices. I thank 21Ckid for pointing that out, although we both stick to the IS system in the end.

It is good to see different points of views, and thank everyone for giving their advice on how I should go about my son's education. In the end we all walk our own paths and make our own decisions, but it's good to hear different voices and widen each of our own perspectives. That's the whole idea of coming to an education forum.

May I suggest that interested parties open up another thread on LS vs. IS, and continue the discussion there. I am sure there are other parents who'd be interested to discuss this (including myself), and in the end we'll all learn from it.

79#
發表於 13-3-4 12:53 |只看該作者
回復 jolalee 的帖子

Are you a canadian passport holder? The school said from13/14 onwards, it is unlikely anyone not fitting in any of the priority list will get an interview, let alone a seat.

Also, for others' information, the school said the date of application no longer counts any more.

80#
發表於 13-3-7 01:10 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 jolalee 於 13-3-7 01:33 編輯

回復 21Ckid 的帖子

Are you referring to CDNIS? Yes, I'm Canadian so my son has Cdn passport. They only accept application starting in October prior to the  year of entry anyway, so i don't think app date matters.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題