用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 No more Cat 1 and Cat 2 for ESF admission!
查看: 14226|回覆: 97
go

No more Cat 1 and Cat 2 for ESF admission!  

發表於 13-2-3 23:39 |顯示全部帖子
Just received an email from ESF confirming that starting next year, there will no longer be Category 1 and Category 2 division. Other priorities still remain (teachers' kids, sibling priority, legacy priority for parents who are former ESf students), but applicants will no longer be discriminated on the basis of their Cantonese ability.
The other big development is that this year's intake into ESF kindies will be the last year to enjoy interview priority into ESF primaries. Starting next year, ESF kindies will lose this priority.

Finally it appears that future ESFYear 1 interviews will no longer be "non-selective" and both students and parents will face a more rigorous interview process.

Rumors of all these developments have been going around for some time now - but now it is finally confirmed.

發表於 13-2-4 01:29 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:Mom2One 的帖子

Thanks for the info. Could you pls tell me that why ESF has sent you the letter? My girl sat for the interview at ESF WKS but we didn't receive any info so far. Many thanks!

發表於 13-2-4 03:07 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 FattyDaddy 於 13-2-4 06:37 編輯
Mom2One 發表於 13-2-3 23:39
future ESFYear 1 interviews will no longer be "non-selective" and both students and parents will face a more rigorous interview process ...

With the current HK government's plan to "do something" about ESF, it is not surprising that ESF bring about some changes.

Doing away with the Cat 1 & 2 prioritization might be a good thing, but then the catch is they will no longer be "non-selective", now that is a Leung Chun Ying style double negative, it simply means they will be "more selective". While the Cat 1 & 2 prioritization is out in the open for the public to see (and for some to attack), in future all kinds of selection criteria will be hidden behind this "more rigorous interview process", ESF will have all the prerequisites to become like those elitist schools in Hongkong.

發表於 13-2-4 08:32 |顯示全部帖子
Very logical move, and many people will be glad to see no more Category 1 priority.  As there will be no more govt subvention, ESF schools have to intake students with better academic capabilities so that the schools can be competitive with other IS.

發表於 13-2-4 08:49 |顯示全部帖子
one good thing perhaps is that parents do not need to train their kids to be non-Cantonese speaking in order to be in Cat 1

發表於 13-2-4 08:51 |顯示全部帖子

引用:one+good+thing+perhaps+is+that+parents+d

原帖由 poonseelai 於 13-02-04 發表
one good thing perhaps is that parents do not need to train their kids to be non-Cantonese speaking  ...
Agree.but it came to late. For us.

發表於 13-2-4 09:07 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:No more Cat 1 and Cat 2 for ESF admission!

Copy from the letter.

The priority for an interview or assessment under the new admissions policy (effective from August 2013) will be based on the following ranked criteria; students who are able to benefit from an English medium education and who (in order) are:

1. Children of full-time staff at ESF or ESF Educational Services Limited;
2. Siblings of students already attending an ESF primary or secondary school or Jockey Club Sarah Roe School;
3. Holders of ESF Nomination Rights;
4. Children of former students who have attended an ESF school for a minimum of three years or are former ESF students returning from a period overseas;
5. Other applicants who can benefit from an English-medium education.

Children who attend an ESF International Kindergarten have in the past received priority for interview at ESF schools. Those children currently attending an ESF International Kindergarten in the 2012-13 academic year, as well as those who apply for and gain a kindergarten place in 2013-14, will continue to receive priority when they apply for a Year 1 place. When the new ESF admissions policy takes effect for applications for the 2014-15 school year, the interview priority will no longer apply.

Non-Cantonese speaking嘅小朋友依然獲優先面試。新措施似乎係著眼於esf kindergarten 將失去面試優先喎。

發表於 13-2-4 09:08 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:Mom2One 的帖子

Thanks for sharing the information!

Would this new policy have any negative impact on sibling priorities?

發表於 13-2-4 09:40 |顯示全部帖子
Awesome news.

發表於 13-2-4 09:46 |顯示全部帖子
LOVELYABB 發表於 13-2-4 09:08
Thanks for sharing the information!

Would this new policy have any negative impact on sibling prior ...
Obviously that depends on whether the child speaks Cantonese. For anyone NOT speaking Cantonese, it's bad news.

發表於 13-2-4 09:53 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:md23 的帖子

Cantonese speaking affects sibling priorities under new and old system?

I thought siblings get priority for interviews regardless.  Sorry if this is an obvious question as I am not too familiar.  New mummy here

發表於 13-2-4 09:54 |顯示全部帖子
LOVELYABB 發表於 13-2-4 09:53
Cantonese speaking affects sibling priorities under new and old system?

I thought siblings get prio ...
Within the sibling priority, non-cantonese speaker is still ahead of cantonese speaker, under the old system.

發表於 13-2-4 10:03 |顯示全部帖子
Now, ESF PIS (DC , RC) like that. No Cat 1 or Cat 2

I think that the parents have heavy pressure. ESF will check / test their Eng standard.

Maybe, in coming day have tutor class for Parents interview.

發表於 13-2-4 10:04 |顯示全部帖子
WYmom 發表於 13-2-4 08:32
ESF schools have to intake students with better academic capabilities so that the schools can be competitive with other IS ...
I doubt that, if ESF has been non-selective in their intake and yet achieve respectable academic results, it shows that it is the "process" that counts and not so much the "input material".

Now that they will become more selective and less transparent, I think they will probably favour those who have family bank statements showing at least an 8 figure sum, the introduction of nomination rights last year is already a step in that direction.

點評

WYmom  They are because Cat 1 always has priority.  People speak English do not necessarily good in academics.  發表於 13-2-4 10:07

發表於 13-2-4 10:10 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:FattyDaddy 的帖子

good education is always expensive.

點評

FattyDaddy  Ever wondered why it should be so? Wouldn't you prefer good education being not expensive? {:1_1:}  發表於 13-2-4 10:36

發表於 13-2-4 10:28 |顯示全部帖子
A more details from the letter :

The new admissions policy will put an end to the  category system. Starting from August 2013, the admissions assessment process  will be strengthened. The emphasis will be on the actual testing of the  children’s English language proficiency, and on verifying the parents’  commitment to an ESF style English medium education through a parental  statement and interview.

We believe that the revamped admissions  policy will be more appropriate to modern Hong Kong. ESF is very successful  in providing a modern liberal education through the medium of English. We are  confident that the revised policy will be seen to be transparent and  fair to families with an English language background.

第五點 -->Other  applicants who can benefit from an English-medium  education. 這句明顯如樓上有媽咪說, non-cantonese speaking仍然優先. 如何分出誰的小朋友可以benefit fr eng-medium educcation??? esf自有自己的標準, 我們只憑一信內容, 是不得而知的. 但常理來說, 當然是 "小朋友用英文比用其他語言更能適應學習" 了! 小朋友要切入呢個 priority ,我認為first-language 是英語也不為過.

如果再細心看看接住based on eng lang proficiency那句, "and on verifying the parents’  commitment to an ESF style English medium education through a parental  statement and interview."  我很懷疑往後的interview或selection process要不要接見家長!!! 如果要寫parental statement 或 interview埋家長, 我相信esf更能find out 他們的 right-students.

學生英文好, 那麼家人的英文如何??? 往後家長參與學校活動, 做helper帶隊出trips 也是有機會的. 如果家長英語有一定水平. 對學校辦活動, 對教導小朋友學業, 也有極大幫助.

整理說, 我覺得這是非常公平的做法. 內地人讀esf的人, 有人說不公平, 因為他們不懂cantonese 但懂mandarin, non-esf kinder對esf kinder有priority 也有不滿的. 甚至以前有些posts 說hk的mixed baby, 明明識cantonese也有piority......總總...... 今次esf做法也算公平公開, 杜絕一些符符碌碌入去, 但小朋友或家長英文水平不高的人. 對真正入到去讀書的小朋友是好事哦!

發表於 13-2-4 10:29 |顯示全部帖子
> WYmom  They are because Cat 1 always has priority.  People speak English do not necessarily good in academics

I'm not sure what you mean here.

ESF have been non-selective, the only "selection" is that they take on more Cat 1 children who probably speak better English than average, but just like you said these children aren't necessarily good in academics, and yet at the end of the day their IB and IGCSE results and university placements are more than respectable, then doesn't that imply the "intake" is not as important as the "process"?

If that is the case, I see little reason why they would change to select by academic ability and not financial ability.

發表於 13-2-4 10:35 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 WYmom 於 13-2-4 10:43 編輯

回復 FattyDaddy 的帖子

I mean they were non-selective in the past as cat 1 has priority, so students are not necessarily good in academics.
After changing admission policy, they can select students who speak English well plus better in academics.  So they can be more selective obviously.

Regarding financial ability, I think when the school fees are raised by 25%, most applicants will be families with good financial abilities, so this won't be a factor for prioritization.  The richer ones always have a lot more choices, this has been a fact for ages.

發表於 13-2-4 10:39 |顯示全部帖子
回復 WYmom 的帖子

totally agree with you.

it's gd for school attaining brilliant academic results in public exams.

發表於 13-2-4 10:41 |顯示全部帖子

引用:回復+FattyDaddy+的帖子 I+mean+they+were

原帖由 WYmom 於 13-02-04 發表
回復 FattyDaddy 的帖子

I mean they were non-selective in the past as cat 1 has priority, so student ...
I don't know how to select good academic children at the interview age of 4yrs old?!

點評

WYmom  For kinder students, they can choose smarter ones with parents matching their criteria.  發表於 13-2-4 10:47
WYmom  I am referring to secondary school tests.  發表於 13-2-4 10:44