4#
發表於 13-1-22 12:25 |只看該作者
中大好過科大

5#
發表於 13-1-23 09:39 |只看該作者
Some info from
http://lsforum.net/board/viewthr ... 5661&sid=6IFqfF

Physics
HKU: small group study, there are two "hidden dragons" who are called the strongest physicists in Hong Kong by most of the others professors from other universities.
CUHK: piles of homework, your theoretical base will be very concrete.
UST: many opportunities for you to do undergraduate researches, very strong experimental teams.

If you want to learn from the two super professors => HKU
If you want to be a theorists => CUHK
If you want to be a experimentalist => UST

6#
發表於 13-1-23 12:11 |只看該作者
謝多各位的寶貴意見

7#
發表於 13-1-23 12:22 |只看該作者
回復 cow 的帖子

讀完有那些發展方向?
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

8#
發表於 13-3-12 01:23 |只看該作者
According to the tutor of my friend, it requires a clear and great mind to be good in the field of physics. It is not easy, but unfortunately, most students prefer engineering or other fields that secure them good jobs. Only those who really love physics would devote themselves to it, while other students that choose physics are just compromising.

9#
發表於 13-3-14 12:39 |只看該作者

回覆:HKAUS 的帖子

One of my som's good friend, he committed to Quantum Physics.

10#
發表於 13-3-14 17:27 |只看該作者
HKAUS 發表於 13-3-12 01:23
According to the tutor of my friend, it requires a clear and great mind to be good in the field of p ...

My son loves physics so much.  He is also struggling between physics and engineering.

11#
發表於 13-3-20 12:38 |只看該作者
nickmum 發表於 13-3-14 17:27
My son loves physics so much.  He is also struggling between physics and engineering.
I think Physics (theoretical Physics) requires a really great mind while Engineering is more practical in nature. This was what I have heard (from the tutor I mentioned before):
" When I was studying in MSc. Electronics Engineering, the field of most of the advanced subjects were just the same as that of those studied in undergraduate Physics......"

12#
發表於 13-3-20 12:43 |只看該作者
However, those study Physics may not know the application aspect. Again from this IGCSE tutor:

"I took a problem from the MSc. Electronics Engineering to ask my former Physics lecturer to help. Without saying anything more, he finished it with 4 pages of writing and my mouth was wide opened. However, he just asked what is the equation and this thing used for !"

This IGCSE tutor also told "To me, I respect those great physics scholars the most; just more than any other branches of sciences and engineering. Their work requires tremendous talent that no ordinary person can do!"

13#
發表於 13-3-20 12:53 |只看該作者
nickmum 發表於 13-3-14 17:27
Hi nickmum,

Sorry about speaking too much about Physics. What I can say to your son is if he can afford an ordinary reward (or may be even jobless) go for what he loves. It is a true that only the top most one will have good rewards,(not only in terms of money, but also for the attention and respect of their research.

Otherwise, go to engineering to secure for a job. Further study to higher level and he can meet some of the Physics aspect that he loves.

Finally I, and also the IGCSE tutor of my friend's children, do not mean in any way to look down upon for other branches of academics. It is he that had studies Physics and Electronic engineering can give such comparison.

14#
發表於 13-3-20 12:55 |只看該作者
ANChan59 發表於 13-3-14 12:39
One of my som's good friend, he committed to Quantum Physics.
Good luck to him. In fact our world need good scientists with wide and far vision.

15#
發表於 13-3-20 13:11 |只看該作者
HKAUS 發表於 13-3-20 12:55
Good luck to him. In fact our world need good scientists with wide and far vision.
He got all offers from HK, just waits for Imperial College...
Great kid.

16#
發表於 13-3-20 13:39 |只看該作者
ANChan59 發表於 13-3-20 13:11
He got all offers from HK, just waits for Imperial College...
Great kid.
Great!
Hoping to hear one day you tell us that this great scholar is my friend's child.

點評

ANChan59  Sure.  發表於 13-3-20 16:34

17#
發表於 13-3-20 18:41 |只看該作者
回復 HKAUS 的帖子

Dear HKAUS,

Thanks so much for your advice.  As parents, it is logical for us to think that to secure a job in future is very important.  But i think one who loves physics may not necessarily want to be an engineerer.  Maybe he can choose to study physics for his first degree and have a second degree on some practical subjects if he wants.

Nickmum

18#
發表於 13-3-20 21:44 |只看該作者
Thanks Nickmum.
The tutor of my friend's children also has done so. He was a chemist but also study Physics in his first degree besides chemistry. In the opposite sense, he wanted to be an electronic engineer instead. However, the road is long and winding. He managed to study for MSc. in electronic engineer only because he has met the academic requirement of the Engineer Council (called IEE at that time) as he had taken public examination of IEE.

To be an engineer, it requires some practical experience (with log book signed by chartered engineering that is hard to reach if he is not in the field of engineering), joining some institute... that an ordinary Physics student can be hard to reach. Therefore, please bear in mind that if he choose Physics, it takes him more time and effort and also slim chances to be endorsed by the chartered engineering for practical experience. Furthermore, nowadays Physics and engineering are more clear cut than that in the early days where so Physics man went to the engineering field easily because there were not many engineering at that time.

19#
發表於 13-3-20 21:45 |只看該作者

回覆:讀 physic

我仔個補習哥哥,物理狂熱分子!放棄香港大學學位,去咗清華讀量子物理

20#
發表於 13-3-20 21:57 |只看該作者
nickmum 發表於 13-3-20 18:41
回復 HKAUS 的帖子

Dear HKAUS,
Dear Nickmum,

In a nut shell, engineering also speaks of practical experience, joining engineering institution!! May be the ultimate goal is to be a chartered engineering while a Physics graduate may find no chance to join.

Allow me to say more. If you have such a good child with clear goal, just let him make his choice. However, tell him to do some research on the career path for those study Physics and engineering. Let him understand and make his right choice.

After all, studying Physics is not a dead end to his career. It is only the chance. He can further his studies, or may switch to the field of material sciences which grows rapidly years ago.

Help your child understand his pathway. Let him make his own choice. Support him whatever choices is made and the outcome.

Best of luck.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題