密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 SIS admission test for p1
樓主: ngmyan
go

SIS admission test for p1 [複製鏈接]

21#
發表於 12-11-12 10:07 |只看該作者
lui, py1 and py2 are K2 and K3.  SIS Year 1 = local Primary 1.

Nobody said SIS is more difficult in its admission test.  They certainly require better English ability than local prestigious schools.  From what I know, local prestigious schools ask verbal questions such as 2 - 4 =?   ; 15 X 18 = ?  If you don't think this it difficult, I don't know what is.

In addition, even if SIS sets a higher standard in admission than LS, I don't see a problem. It is a private school independent of the HK gov't, so it can do as it pleases.  It is the parents' choice.  I am not saying SIS is better than top LS, but whether top LS is everybody's cup of tea (or if one regards them as better) is entirely another matter.  For me, even if top LS admits my children, I have NO plans to send them there!!!

22#
發表於 12-11-12 11:19 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 minirat 於 12-11-12 11:22 編輯
FattyDaddy 發表於 12-11-8 11:27
Sorry this is off topic but I can't help but express my sadness.

Singapore is a society not unlike  ...

I am a Singaporean who is working and living in HK for almost 9 years.  Speaking from my point of view, most Singaporeans in HK are merely working or living here, and are still holding Singapore citizenship and will probably go back to Singapore one day.  However Hongkongers in Singapore are mostly new immigrants in Singapore and will probably try to adapt into the local culture and hence local schools.  This perhaps explains why there is a SIS in HK, but not vice versa.  Correct me if I am wrong.

It is true Singaporeans used to look up to Hong Kong and we admired Hongkongers, I vaguely remember this when I was a child.  Singapore picked up fast in the last 2 decades.  It is however difficult to compare the two cities.  Singapore is an independent country, tiny, no natural resources, and completely dependable on our own people.  Hong Kong on the other hand is not a country, strictly speaking, but a city, with backup from Mainland China.  Political aspects and approaches can be very different.

My 2-cents thought.  Hong Kong is not only facing the doubt on new government capabilities, but also the people's mentality.  No country or city will be strong without the love from her people.  What I see is, Hongkongers are complaining everyday about everything.  Apparently strikes have become a routine.  We want our children and next generation to grow up in a environment with love and positive elements, don't we?

Back to SIS.  I am just an ordinary Singaporean who wish to send my child to our own school, coz there is always a chance that we might relocate back home for good one fine day.  However I am surprised with the level of popularity SIS has managed to obtain over the past years in HK.  I hope this aggravating situation will not jeopardise the chance of SIngaporeans who are the "needy" users.

23#
發表於 12-11-12 11:42 |只看該作者
minirat 發表於 12-11-12 11:19
My 2-cents thought.  Hong Kong is not only facing the doubt on new government capabilities, but also the people's mentality.  No country or city will be strong without the love from her people.  What I see is, Hongkongers are complaining everyday about everything ...
It is true that if a government faces lots of opposition from all walks of society, it cannot do much, but then we have to examine what they are trying to do. Lets say if the HK government were trying to bring universal suffrage to HK as soon as possible, I'm sure they can push that through at lighting speed with lots of cooperation from Hongkongers. If what they are trying to do is to take civic rights away from Hongkongers, I guess it is natural that they would face overwhelming opposition. The question is, who initiated all these confrontations? In most cases it was the government trying to push unpopular or even draconian policies (e.g. Article 23), and if they fail they try to package their failure as Hongkongers being uncoorperative.

Anyway, enough about politics. I concur with your decision regarding SIS, I would do the same if I'm in your position. If HK had gone downhill (compared to SG) and has an uncertain future, why invest your children's future in it? {:1_1:}

24#
發表於 12-11-12 13:01 |只看該作者

引用:+本帖最後由+minirat+於+12-11-12+11:22+編

原帖由 minirat 於 12-11-12 發表
本帖最後由 minirat 於 12-11-12 11:22 編輯
The way I see it, it is actually one of HK's core value to be able to complain about everything (if we really complaint about everything) without worrying too much about retaliation and getting into jail.  The way we complain and protest are comparatively more civilized.

Everybody has the right to complain and their issues to the street. Not all complains and protests will end well but they all have the right to do so in Hong Kong. Not many places in Asia you have that freedom.

Things develop slower like this?  Yes, but I think freedom is much harder to come by.

The more bizzare a thing is, the less mysterious it proves to be.

25#
發表於 12-11-12 14:37 |只看該作者
FattyDaddy 發表於 12-11-12 11:42
It is true that if a government faces lots of opposition from all walks of society, it cannot do muc ...

I am not a political person actually, and definitely don't think Hong Kong is a bad place.  In fact, my husband is a Hongkonger too and I am already quite used to the life in Hong Kong.  Personally I hope that my boy can grow up in an environment with more positive elements.   If he cannot love his country and the place he lives in, how can we expect him to love his family and love himself?  As for SIS, it's merely my sense of belonging.  Practically it would be easier for me since I went through the similar curriculum.

點評

LeeMama328  Well said.  發表於 12-11-12 16:30
LeeMama328  Well said.  發表於 12-11-12 16:30

26#
發表於 12-11-12 15:12 |只看該作者

回覆:minirat 的帖子

Hi minirat,
We are a couple of Singaporean husband n hongkonger wife, my hb moved here for 11 years. How old is your son? Also targeting for p1 in the forthcoming academic year.

27#
發表於 12-11-12 16:22 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 LeeMama328 於 12-11-12 16:30 編輯
elmostoney 發表於 12-11-12 10:07

Nobody said SIS is more difficult in ...

not trying to sabotage.......but 15x18 for P1 admission?  I bet millions of adults in HK cannot come up with an answer without pen & paper.  

28#
發表於 12-11-12 16:58 |只看該作者
unfortunately, those questions are reported by my friends who have children going to prestigious LS for interviews this year.  They are just as completely dumbfounded.  From what I have heard, it's entirely possible, provided that you start sending the children to math classes at age 3.

29#
發表於 12-11-12 16:59 |只看該作者
ngmyan 發表於 12-11-12 15:12
Hi minirat,
We are a couple of Singaporean husband n hongkonger wife, my hb moved here for 11 year ...

Hihi, my boy is only 16 months old, haaa!  But I bet the competition will only get stiffer each year.  It seems a little paranoid, but I got worried and thinking whether I should just go back to Singapore to avoid getting involved in these.  Then again.  Relocating the whole family is not an easy thing, and my husband's career is equally important.

How come your child did not try from PY1?  Is your child holding Singapore passport as well?

30#
發表於 12-11-12 17:01 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 elmostoney 於 12-11-12 17:05 編輯

2-4=? is asked by one school on eastern HK Island, while 15 X 18 (or something similar) by the topmost school in Kowloon - you get the picture.

If finance is not a concern, I don't see the point in going to LS where most English teachers cannot speak proper/fluent English and most Mandarin teachers cannot speak good Mandarin.  The passing rate of the teacher standard test in English leaves me completely stricken - imagine our children taught by teachers of such calibre.

31#
發表於 12-11-12 17:53 |只看該作者

引用:lui,+py1+and+py2+are+K2+and+K3.++SIS+Yea

原帖由 elmostoney 於 12-11-12 發表

Nobody said SIS is more difficult in ...
If I didn't get you wrong in your previous message, for  a 5 years old kid, she or he is required to write something in English and Chinese words? I supposed it is not a copybook question. Maybe my standard is low, this is not acceptable to me.

32#
發表於 12-11-12 18:33 |只看該作者

回覆:minirat 的帖子

coz I let my girl started studying from n1 then change to another school for k1 n want to let her learn traditional Chinese (pth). if py1 change to sis , she would have studied 3 schools in three yearsso let her in in primary. yes she is Singaporean n need to go back Singapore before 21 years old to declare the nationality.

moving back is a very tough decision n big move, we are still thinking whether should let her join the p1 national allocation or not in the forthcoming Aug if sis does not give us a seat.

33#
發表於 12-11-12 20:46 |只看該作者

引用:coz+I+let+my+girl+started+studying+from+

原帖由 ngmyan 於 12-11-12 發表
coz I let my girl started studying from n1 then change to another school for k1 n want to let her le ...
I understand where you are coming from.  Apparently we will be in the same fix in time to come.  And we probably need to make this decision earlier coz he needs to serve NS at 16 years old, hence we cannot wait till he is 21 years old.

34#
發表於 12-11-12 21:21 |只看該作者
elmostoney 發表於 12-11-12 16:58
unfortunately, those questions are reported by my friends who have children going to prestigious LS  ...
It is possible for a P1 applicant to do 15 x 18 by heart provided he/she had been trained in mental arithmetic.

Of course, doing the multiplication the normal way would be quite a handful even for adults, but what they do in mental arithmetic is to break down the problem into more manageable parts, e.g. ...

15 x 18 = 15 x 20 - 15 x 2 = 300 - 30 = 270

But in this computer age, mental arithmetic doesn't have much practical value when it is much quicker to grab a calculator and punch a few keys. In a way this reflects part of the problem with traditional teaching in local schools, children often learn skills which doesn't have much practical value.

35#
發表於 12-11-12 22:50 |只看該作者
回復 FattyDaddy 的帖子

'''But in this computer age, mental arithmetic doesn't have much practical value when it is much quicker to grab a calculator and punch a few keys.'''

I agree. However, wouldn't you also agree that teaching mental math would be a brain training apart from a arithmetic technique? I think that's why calculator is not allowed in junior year of IS as in LS.

點評

FattyDaddy  Yes they are good mental exercises, but having them at P1 admission tests is just way over the top.  發表於 12-11-12 23:16

36#
發表於 12-11-12 23:05 |只看該作者
'''Hongkong International School in Singapore, or any foreign country for that matter.'''

What an interesting idea!

However, what curriculum will it adopt? NSS for the secondary students and 呈分試 for the primary? If so, I wonder any student will apply.

37#
發表於 12-11-12 23:12 |只看該作者
I actually thought Singaporeans cannot attend international schools in Singapore?
今日佳句: 我以往也以為國際板的家長也有質素,但現在才知deal with 一些麻煩家長也不易!  

38#
發表於 12-11-13 07:45 |只看該作者

引用:I+actually+thought+Singaporeans+cannot+a

本帖最後由 shadeslayer 於 12-11-13 07:59 編輯
原帖由 HKTHK 於 12-11-12 發表
I actually thought Singaporeans cannot attend international schools in Singapore?

Correct, Singaporean are not allowed to send their kids to international schools in Singapore. Hong Kong people enjoy a huge amount of freedom compared with others but we take it for granted.  We should feel blessed.

The more bizzare a thing is, the less mysterious it proves to be.

39#
發表於 12-11-13 09:41 |只看該作者

引用:I+actually+thought+Singaporeans+cannot+a

原帖由 HKTHK 於 12-11-12 發表
Not entirely true.  I know Singaporeans (both parents are also Singaporeans) who studied in international schools in Singapore.

40#
發表於 12-11-13 09:56 |只看該作者
My Singaporean friend in HK checked and said that if the child previously lived overseas and had attended school, then upon returning to Singapore, will have the option to go to either local or international school.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題