升學美國

發表於 12-6-28 22:06 |顯示全部帖子
有冇人用過學貫中西攪仔女去美國升學,有冇用?

發表於 12-7-5 10:41 |顯示全部帖子
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽
簽名被屏蔽

發表於 12-7-5 22:56 |顯示全部帖子
回復 nickmum 的帖子

To be honest, the effect of engaging a consultant is limited. If you buy a book concerning the US colleges admission, you know what the consultants tell you. A book costs you $200 to $300. Even if you buy 3 books, the cost is not more than $1,000.00. The costs of engaging a college consultant is between $80,000 to $120,000.00 What a big difference.

If there is a big effect, maybe it is worthy to do so. The true fact is unless you are holding an American passport and have GPA more than 3.8 and SAT more than 2,200 and many leadership and service experience, I do not think a consultant can make any significant difference to the admission result.

發表於 12-7-6 01:32 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 bobbycheung 於 12-7-6 02:19 編輯
Shootastar 發表於 12-7-5 22:56
回復 nickmum 的帖子

To be honest, the effect of engaging a consultant is limited. If you buy a book ...

Hi, Shootastar,

Could you tell us more?
(1) Are you saying "holding an American passport + having GPA of more than 3.8 and SAT of more than 2,200 + many leadership and service experience" is the minimum threshold?  If you can't meet it, no consultant can get you into a good US college.   
(2) What if you are able to meet these criteria?  Would it be worthwhile then to engage the service of a consultant?

I understand that the consultancy fees for US college admission range from $100K to $300K nowadays.  It is infinitely more expensive than buying a few books on the subject.  I bought well over 10 books on US college admission myself.  But the problem is that the more I read, the less confident I become of handling the application by myself.  It's mainly because each book will tell you something "new" which is not mentioned in the other books.  I am aware that these "secrets" are there to boost the sales.  But you never know if you've missed out some "tricks" or "shortcuts" that are fatal to your application.

I know having perfect or near perfect scores and grades is the minimum requirement as almost all applicants have them,  To me, the most difficult part of the application process is the "leadership and activities" part.  They want someone who "shines".   But with lots of students doing all kind of unusual or even weird activities nowadays, how could one become outstanding and stand out from the crowd?  I heard that many consultants would tailor-make activities for their students.  But again, when you have lots of applicants doing all kinds of "unique" activities, how could you possibly distingush yourself?   

Bobby

發表於 12-7-6 11:07 |顯示全部帖子
回復 bobbycheung 的帖子

(1) If you do some researches on the number of international students admitted by Ivy colleges, you will find that their incoming classes have around 8% of international students. On average, the class size of each Ivy college is around 1,200 to 1,600, with the exception that Cornell admits 3,200 and UPenn admits 2,400 freshmen each year. Take the example of Cornell, the international students it admits each year is about 300 while the other Ivies admit about 130 to 150. On average, they could only admit one student from one country. I have to stress that it is just an average figures. Assuming each college admits 2 HK students (not holding US passport), the total number of student  (not holding US passport) is around 15 to 20. There are at least more than 100 local students have the statistics I mentioned (or its equivalent, such as IB 42 or above, or 4 to 4A* (A-level) plus 9 to 11 A to A (IGCSE). If you do not have the statitics (which I think is minimum), the chance of being admitted is very slim with or without the assistance from a college consultants. If you hold an US passports, you will be in the other pool. Each colleges admits more than 1,400 students, you will have better chance.

(2) If you have the statistics I mentioned and hold a US passport, it is worthwhile to engage an admission consultant although I doubt very much about the effect. If the consultant is of ethics, he cannot write any application essay for you. He can only explain and advise you the best way to make a very competitive application., You will find the same information from books.

發表於 12-7-6 11:25 |顯示全部帖子
回復 bobbycheung 的帖子

I continue to share with you my experience.

I had gone through college application twice, one for my S and the other for my D. I engaged no college consultant in both occasions. My S obtained 4 offers from UK top law schools and he was  even in the winter pool of Cambridge. He made 9 applications to US colleges. He was successful on 2 applications, one from a state U and the other from a second tier private college. Al;though his statistics were more or less the same as his classmates, they were admitted to Ivies (including Columbia, U Penn and Princeton) because all of them hold US passports.

My D had SAT 2,200+ plus 3 SAT II subject tests 800. She had 4AP "5" at the time of making the application last year. She was the editor in chief of the year book. She was the captain of the badminton school team. She was also a service team leader in a charitable organisation. Her GPA is amongst the top 5% in her class. She had very strong recommendations from school counslor and teacher. Her application essay was proof-read by her English teacher and school counselor. It appears to me that she has a very competitive application.  The result is quite disappointing because none of the 5 Ivies (or Ivy equivalent) she applied admitted her. The reason is most obvious. She is not an American. She made application to UK medical school as well. She had 2 offers from 2 UK medical schools. She also made applications to medical school in HK. My D had offers from both local medical schools.

發表於 12-7-6 11:47 |顯示全部帖子
回復 bobbycheung 的帖子

I continue to share with you my experience on service and leadership.

In my view, the admission officers would like to see your passion.  how and why you choose a particular service and what do you learn or gain from them. You need not to do some weird activities or service to boost up your application.

Some traditional activities or services may have bettter effect. For example, your kid could form a club providing tuition to lower class students on science subjects. He could ask his classmates join the club, For example, every day after school, the team-members would stay in the classroom to wait for the students who are in need of assistance on the science subjects. Each member would be on duty once a week. As a leader you kid can stay twice a week. If your kid can do so for a period of time, it can show that he has the leadership, he has the passion to help others. He needs to revise his science subjects before he is on duty. In a way he is helping himself. I think he could make a good application by making a reflection on the formation of the club, the chance for him to practice and grow, Of course this is one of the examples I wish to share with you. There are many other ways to show your activities and leadership. The college admission officers can distinguish some leadership and activities which could be :"bought" or gained as a result of the passion to do great thing.

發表於 12-7-7 02:56 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:Shootastar 的帖子

Thanks for your advice.

I will pm you later to seek for your comments on US applications.

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

發表於 12-7-7 17:03 |顯示全部帖子
Shootastar, thanks!

發表於 12-7-25 23:01 |顯示全部帖子

回覆:升學美國

睇下你想報中學定大學。駛乜搵中介,如你有心水學校,上學校的網站看admission  info.  我中學大學都在美國讀書,從來冇找agent or consultant.

發表於 12-7-26 01:55 |顯示全部帖子
回復 Shootastar 的帖子

Hi Shootastar,
Your replies are very informative. Do you mind to tell if your daughter studies in an international school in HK?
Do you think it will make a difference if, with all things unchanged, your daughter studied in a top tier private school in US like Andover?  

發表於 12-7-26 10:56 |顯示全部帖子
Cheer,

Re your question.

It makes a big difference if the student is from a US reputable Private high school (they call pre-school), not necessarily be as top-notched as Andoer. This explains why there are students year by year from HKIS transfer to study in the US from grade 9.

發表於 12-7-26 11:40 |顯示全部帖子
回復 ANChan59 的帖子

It is a pleasure to share experience with dedicated parents.

發表於 12-7-26 11:53 |顯示全部帖子
回復 Chess 的帖子

Chess

My D studies in an international school in Hong Kong.

I cannot say whether my D' case will change if she studies in an American boarding school such as Andover, Exeter, St. Paul or Deerfield. All I can say is there are two pools for American and foreign students. My S and D have classmates who switched to the boarding school in UK after grade 9. Both of them (holding UK passports) were admitted to U Penn. Maybe diversity worked.

I wish to stress that it is not important for local students to be admitted to Ivies or their equivalents. However, the odd is definitely lower if you compare an American with the same statistics.

發表於 12-7-26 11:55 |顯示全部帖子
回復 kkbbkk 的帖子

kkbbkk

For non-Ivies or their equivalents, I agree that it may make a difference. But if you apply for Ivies or their equivalents, I need statistics before I can draw my own conclusion.

發表於 12-7-26 12:22 |顯示全部帖子
回復 Shootastar 的帖子

kkbbkk & Shootastar, thanks!
I am curious to know in the case of a HK student (w/o foreign passport) studying in a US reputable private school, will the chance of being admitted to ivy league be bigger, i.e. he or she is not competing with international students for the limited places.
Shootastar, kindly share if you find relevant statistics.   

發表於 12-7-26 12:34 |顯示全部帖子
回復 Chess 的帖子

Chess

For classification purpose, the college would make the classification of domestic or foreign applicant solely on the base of their passports, not on the base of place where you receive your education.

Even if you study in a top 10 boarding school in USA, you are still a foreigner if you do not have an American passport or a Green Card.

I am also interested to know the statistics of admission by Ivies or their equivalents of non Americans, who study in elite boarding schools in USA.

發表於 12-7-26 12:37 |顯示全部帖子
Shootastar 發表於 12-7-26 11:53
回復 Chess 的帖子

Chess
There is an error in the sentence. I wish to stress that it is not "impossible" ..........., not "important".

發表於 12-7-26 12:56 |顯示全部帖子
Dear Shootaster:

True that it is difficult to draw a conclusion especially that we don't have figures. I just posted my observations. Here are some more examples. All are friends of mind and my son's classmates:

Three US passport holders:

1) Brother from HKIS to Deerfield ---> better results .----> not addmitted to Ivy league (but another very good Uni in 2010)
Younger brother from HKIS to reputable US prep-school -------> results not as good as elder brother --> admitted to Ivy League in 2012

2) HKIS to reputable prep-school ----> Ivy League in 2012
This girl, her father and all her siblings are Ivy League graduates. She has "double" legacy.

Non US passport holders:

1) A girl from HKIS to reputable prep-school -----> good results -------> Ivy League in 2011

2) from ESF to prep-school
Elder brother from a reputable prep school ------->to good university in 2011
Younger brother studying in Andover , a rising Senior. let's wait and see what university he enters.

All these are HK students.

I also know that for MIT, only those US passport holders can apply for Early Decision (this means the 1st phase of admission will be granted to US passport holders) . I don't know if any other IVY Leagues have the same policy.

發表於 12-7-26 16:42 |顯示全部帖子
回復 kkbbkk 的帖子

Thank you for your sharing.

It would appear that it is easier to be admitted to Ivies if you are from a top-notched boarding school in the States than from a local school or international school in Hong Kong