密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 UK schools are swamped by Chinese students
樓主: bobbycheung
go

UK schools are swamped by Chinese students [複製鏈接]

21#
發表於 12-3-23 19:08 |只看該作者
I have just looked at St. Paul's Girls' School which is supposed to the only UK school having an Oxbridge admission rate higher than Westminster School during the period from 2007 to 2009.  For 2011, it had 36 students going to Oxbridge out of a total of 87 students.  The percentage is 41%.  Out of these 36 "Oxbridge" students, 2 did Law and 2 did Medicine.  It kind of confirms that the chance of getting into Oxbridge to do Law and Medicine etc. is pretty slim even for the very top UK schools like these.  Of course, I can't rule out the possibility that students in these top UK schools don't like to take Law and Medicine etc and they only like to take History and English etc. in universities.

22#
發表於 12-3-23 19:19 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 bobbycheung 於 12-3-23 19:20 編輯
Choisumwong 發表於 12-3-23 18:46
回復 bobbycheung 的帖子

I think oversea students in CLC is about 10-20%. Chinese/asian students, ac ...

I am not saying students should only try for Law and Medicine etc.  Of course, they should do what they like.  (When I looked at the lists, I see degree coureses that I can't even dream of doing.)  Anyway, as with subjects, students may not even aim at the "top" universities.  Some may even choose universities based on their location rather than anything else.  What I am saying is that for HK students who aim to do Law and Medicine etc, the difference between going to UK to study as opposed to studying in IS in HK might not be as great as one would imagine because the universities they ultimately go to may well be the same.   I note there are people from these UK schools going to US, but they are really the minority.

醒目開學勳章

23#
發表於 12-3-23 22:33 |只看該作者
Arcana 發表於 12-3-22 09:39
If you think the only reason of studying overseas is to learn English, there is no point in studying ...
can't agree more

24#
發表於 12-3-24 09:16 |只看該作者
bobbycheung 發表於 12-3-23 19:08
I have just looked at St. Paul's Girls' School which is supposed to the only UK school having an Oxb ...
If statistics is a major factor and your focus or personal preference is subject based like law or medicine or architecture etc "practical" disciplines, I believe HKU, CU or other uni in HK may just be fine. And to enter local uni, I think some 地區名校 not necessarily traditional famous schools in HK have high admission rates, ie good statistics in recent years.

25#
發表於 12-3-24 09:18 |只看該作者
caa 發表於 12-3-24 09:16
If statistics is a major factor and your focus or personal preference is subject based like law or m ...
Sorry I mean HKU, CU etc are not only just fine, they are very good.

26#
發表於 12-3-24 09:58 |只看該作者
caa 發表於 12-3-24 09:16
If statistics is a major factor and your focus or personal preference is subject based like law or m ...
Thanks for your advice.  Let's go back and focus on the pros and cons of going overseas.  I know the cons such as the kids will have to be separated from their families members and the high school fees.  The pros are that the kids will have more exposure to the outside world and they will learn how to be independent.  Choisumwong also said that "top schools in UK are better than so-call international schools in Hong Kong in terms of teacher-to-student ratio, school facilities, student activities, academic level and top university admission."   Any other pros that I have missed out?

27#
發表於 12-3-27 01:38 |只看該作者
I graduated from Roedean back in 1986. I was the only girl from HK in the whole form ^^

28#
發表於 12-3-27 11:19 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 bobbycheung 於 12-3-27 11:50 編輯
IJai 發表於 12-3-27 01:38
I graduated from Roedean back in 1986. I was the only girl from HK in the whole form ^^

I understand that Roedean was one of the best in your days, but apparently a lot has changed since then.  Please read this.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=35860715&highlight=roedean
(PS. No offence meant)

29#
發表於 12-3-28 17:16 |只看該作者
回復 bobbycheung 的帖子

If you are so interested in statistic figure of admission to Oxbridge and Law/Medicine degree, look at this school.

http://www.concordcollegeuk.com/default.asp?page=44&news=384

They got a very impressive Oxbridge record this year - 18 total!!! Beating many schools you mentioned!!!

30#
發表於 12-3-28 17:56 |只看該作者
raymonds 發表於 12-3-28 17:16
回復 bobbycheung 的帖子

If you are so interested in statistic figure of admission to Oxbridge and L ...
Wow just looked at this school's website. It says students work incredibly hard to achieve not only their hopes and dreams but also hopes and dreams of their family!
Education is not just about results (esp in terms of what college or uni or subject you eventually go to) right? I can't imagine nowadays our children are still expected to achieve parents' own hopes.

31#
發表於 12-3-28 19:21 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 bobbycheung 於 12-3-28 23:43 編輯
raymonds 發表於 12-3-28 17:16
回復 bobbycheung 的帖子

If you are so interested in statistic figure of admission to Oxbridge and L ...

Out of the 4 school that I mentioned (ie. Westminster school, Wycombe Abbey, CLC and St. Paul's Girls' School), I am afraid Concord College's record of 18 students could only beat CLC's record of 13.  But then we will have to look at the percentage as well.  It seems that Concord College has more students in Upper Sixth than CLC and it works out that the percentage of students going to Oxbridge is about the same for both schools ie. 10%.  To avoid any misunderstanding, I am not saying Concord College is no good or in any way not good enough.

I notice something interesting about Concord College.  Its website says that "the Sixth Form is its largest part, roughly 75%".  Its Lower School only comprises 25% of the college.  I could only imagine that it takes in a lot of new students in the Sixth Form.  Looking at the list of students going to Oxbridge, I found that all of them have a foreign name.  Could it be that they are all top foreign students who joined Concord College in the Sixth Form?  I don't know.  Another thing is that the subjects they take at Oxbridge resemble the subjects that are generally "popular" to the Asian.  If you compare them with those of the 4 schools I mentioned, you will know what I mean.   

By the way, I am not saying that these Oxbridge figures are the be all and end all.  In fact, I think they should always be looked at in the light of the subjects these people take.

32#
發表於 12-3-28 19:32 |只看該作者
caa 發表於 12-3-28 17:56
Wow just looked at this school's website. It says students work incredibly hard to achieve not only  ...
Of course, kids are expected to achieve their parents' own dreams!   Who pays for the tution fees?
  No pay, no say!

33#
發表於 12-3-31 22:04 |只看該作者
I heard that the legal and medical professions in Hong Kong have made it very hard for those who are non-local university graduates to practise in those two professions. Following the practical approach advocated by some contributors here, this must be one of the cons to consider. I have even heard to my astonishment that some HK students in UK boarding schools have forgone the offer from Cambridge to read medicine and have returned to HK for a local medicine degree instead.

34#
發表於 12-4-1 00:59 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 bobbycheung 於 12-4-1 01:03 編輯
4eyesDad 發表於 12-3-31 22:04
I heard that the legal and medical professions in Hong Kong have made it very hard for those who are ...

I don't know anything about the medical profession.  But I understand that one could do a law degree in a UK university and then come back to HK to do the PCLL.

35#
發表於 12-4-1 08:52 |只看該作者
回復 bobbycheung 的帖子

I heard there will be some kind PCLL quota for non-local law graduates. It is a daunting prospect that all oversea law graduates will have to compete against each other for very limited PCLL places. It follows that if you have a first class honours law degree from Cambridge, your chance of getting a PCLL place will be very good. On the other hand, if you have a lower second class honours law degree, you don't have much of a chance - even your degree is from Cambridge!

36#
發表於 12-4-1 10:21 |只看該作者
If one want to practice in HK, surely I would choose to study medicine in HK Us. It would be almost impossible for graduates of overseas Us to practice in HK. If u still remember how difficult it was just to hire a few overseas doctors to work in gov't hospitals got a ver short time. Interestingly some doctors rejecting the ideas of temporary hiring of overseas doctors actually studied overseas prior to 1997.

37#
發表於 12-4-1 10:39 |只看該作者
I see.   What about medicine?

38#
發表於 12-4-1 12:00 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 nintendo 於 12-4-1 12:01 編輯

Go to websites like jobsdb.com and have a look at the legal section. A lot of companies are hiring "LLB graduates" to do paralegal work. It might indeed be that there are quite some LLB graduates now in Hong Kong who cannot get PCLL place and have to do work which previously not done by law graduates.

39#
發表於 12-4-1 14:59 |只看該作者
I googled and found that for HKU's LLB, the intake quota is 86.  Around 15 % to 20% of the total places will be allocated for non-JUPAS candidates.  Does anybody know PCLL's quota for overseas students?

40#
發表於 12-4-10 16:52 |只看該作者
回復 bobbycheung 的帖子

I would like to know how they allocate the places for PCLL too.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題