用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 備戰大學 10 Lessons Jeremy Lin Can Teach Us Before We Go To W ...
發新帖
查看: 2605|回覆: 11
go

10 Lessons Jeremy Lin Can Teach Us Before We Go To Work Monday Morning [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 12-2-17 13:50 |只看該作者 |倒序瀏覽 |打印
本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 12-2-17 13:53 編輯

We all are amazed by Linsanity in the last three weeks, I found an article from Forbes related to him and summarized the 10 lessons.

Just Lin, Baby! 10 Lessons Jeremy Lin Can Teach Us Before We Go To Work Monday Morning

Lin-sanity has swept up the NBA over the last week.  Now it seems like the phenomenon has gone worldwide.
Friday’s 38 point performance by Harvard grad Jeremy Lin for the New York Knicks against the LA Lakers was his greatest performance yet as a starter, since he burst on to the scene and propelled the team to 4 straight wins.
Lin now has over 200,000 followers on Twitter.  He’s got over 800,000 on Weibo – including 200,000 new ones in the 24 hour period after beating the Lakers.
But there’s more to this story than basketball.  This isn’t just a modern-day, real-life version of the Hoosiers movie.  The Jeremy Lin story is incredibly popular because we can all see a little bit of ourselves in this man’s struggles and now successes.

What can all of us learn from this young man — and how can we apply these same lessons to our own lives when we go back to work on Monday morning?

1.        Believe in yourself when no one else does.Lin’s only the 4th graduate from Harvard to make it to the NBA.  He’s also one of only a handful of Asian-Americans to make it. He was sent by the Knicks to play for their D-League team 3 weeks ago in Erie, PA.  He’d already been cut by two other NBA teams before joining the Knicks this year.  You’ve got to believe in yourself, even when no one else does.

2. Seize the opportunity when it comes up.Lin got to start for the Knicks because they had to start him.  They had too many injuries.  Baron Davis was gone.  The other point guards were out.  Carmelo Anthony was injured.  Amare Stoudemire had to leave the team because of a family death.  Lin could have squandered the opportunity and we would have never have noticed.  But he made the most of it.  You never know when opportunities are going to arise in life.  Often, they’re when you least expect them.  Make the most of them. Don’t fritter them away.

3. Your family will always be there for you, so be there for them. It wasn’t until a few days ago that Lin got his contract guaranteed by the Knicks for the rest of the season.  Before that, he could have been cut at any time.  He had to sleep on his brother’s couch on the Lower East Side to get by.  His family always believed in him and picked him up when he could have gotten down on himself.  That made him continue to believe.  If you want your family to believe in you like that, you’ve got to be there for them too when they need it.

4. Find the system that works for your style.Lin isn’t Michael Jordan or Kobe Bryant.  He’s not a pure scorer.  He’s a passer and distributor – who can also score very well.  It didn’t work for him in Golden State or Houston – where he was before landing at the Knicks.  But Mike D’Antoni’s system at the Knicks has been perfect for him to show off his strengths.  You’ve got to do your best to understand what your strengths are and then ensure that you’re in a system (a job or organization or industry) that is a good fit for those strengths.  Otherwise, people overlook the talents you bring to the table.

1    0    0    0
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

2#
發表於 12-2-17 13:51 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 12-2-17 13:54 編輯

5. Don’t overlook talent that might exist around you today on your team. You probably manage people at your own company today.  Are you sure you don’t have a Jeremy Lin living among you now?  How do you know that “Mike” couldn’t do amazing things if you gave him a new project to run with?  How do you know “Sarah” isn’t the right person to take the open job in London that you’ve been talking over with your colleagues?  We put people around us in boxes.  He’s from Harvard.  He’s Asian-American.  Not sure he can play.  How many assumptions have you made about talent around you?  Don’t be like the General Managers in Golden State and Houston, and let talent slip through your fingers.  With all their money, scouts, and testing, they didn’t have a clue what they had in their hands.  Do you know what your people (or even yourself) is really capable of?  Take off the blinders of assumptions you wear when you look at the world.

6. People will love you for being an original, not trying to be someone else. You’ve got to be you.  You can’t be some 2nd rate copy of Michael Jordan.  There will never be another Michael Jordan.  Just be Jeremy Lin — yourself.  Whatever that is.  That doesn’t mean you don’t work hard — it just means you find what you’re good at and do it.  Fans will love you for being you, just like they love Jeremy Lin.  Judy Garland said it best:
Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.

7. Stay humble. If you one day are lucky enough to have newspapers want to put you on the cover in order to sell more, don’t let it get to your head.  It’s been remarkable watching how humble Lin remains through all this media frenzy.  It makes his teammates and fans love him that much more.

8. When you make others around you look good, they will love you forever. I didn’t know how good Tyson Chandler was, until I saw him playing with Jeremy Lin.  Lin has set Chandler up many times over the last week for easy dunks because he drew the defense and then passed the ball.  That’s partly why the Knicks are playing so well.  They are all working harder to share the ball with others.  And it’s beautiful to watch.  And when the media swarms Lin, he tells them how good his teammates are.  Do the same with your peers and reports.

9. Never forget about the importance of luck or fate in life. Some people believe in God, some in destiny, some in luck.  Whatever you believe in, be grateful for it.

10. Work your butt off. Lin couldn’t have seized his opportunity if he hadn’t worked like crazy for years perfecting his skills.  There are no short cuts to hard work.  Success is a by product of that.  If you’ve got a Tiger Mom who’s always pushed you to work hard, great.  If not, let your conscience be your own Tiger Mom!  Get up early, stay up late.  Nobody gave Lin any free passes. Why should you get any?  You can only control what you control and that means you’ve got to work harder than anyone else you know.

I hope the Lin-sanity continues.  And I hope we all can apply these lessons to our own work and family life.
There’s a great line from a New York Times article on Lin and his faith which is worth it for all of us to remember (from Romans 5:3-5):
suffering produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not disappoint us.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericjackson/2012/02/11/9-lessons-jeremy-lin-can-teach-us-before-we-go-to-work-monday-morning/

點評

Yanamami  Love it !  發表於 12-2-26 10:46
annie40  Thank you.  發表於 12-2-17 14:47

3#
發表於 12-2-17 15:26 |只看該作者
Nice.  Thanks for sharing.  

4#
發表於 12-2-17 16:57 |只看該作者

5#
發表於 12-2-17 17:57 |只看該作者
What I learnt from JL's 10 lessons:

1. Believe in yourself when no one else does - encourage and motivate our kids, yes, you can..... top elite schools, universities and career planning.

2. Seize the opportunity when it comes up - be ready to take up the chance, excel and stay there.

3. Your family will always be there for you, so be there for them - harmonized and close family relationship, they know we always support them in whatever situations.

4. Find the system that works for your style - right approaches, right schools, right peers, right careers, right partners......... fit their styles.....

5. Don’t overlook talent that might exist around you today on your team - appreciate their teams, their competitors....... open minded to new ideas and meet more people....

6. People will love you for being an original, not trying to be someone else - difficult to practice, less comparison and manage our expectation realistically on ourselves, families, kids, careers...

7. Stay humble - balanced head even you are Linsanity..... I guess difficult to be there, I doubt I can do that.

8. When you make others around you look good, they will love you forever -    my son practice more than I.

9. Never forget about the importance of luck or fate in life - We do our best, God does the rest.

10. Work your butt off - just like IB.......

Enjoy it.....

6#
發表於 12-2-17 18:37 |只看該作者
回復 ANChan59 的帖子

Anchan,

多谢sharing.  那十个lesson 是几乎每本厉志书籍都重复又重复的内容, 也是美国教育的金科玉律. 只不过是知易行难,
今次好啦! 林书豪一次过真情演绎, 唔到大家唔信美国的一套!  hiphipharah! hiphipharah!

这两天看了不少NBA youtube, 学坐一点vocabalury. 非常明白那个在球场上的女孩写: Be My Valentine 的心情. 连我都想 join Fans Club.  睇怕继Bruce Lee 后, Jeremy Lin 是另一位征服国际的华人.

已经转载内容比阿女, 希望可以再次提点吓!

annie

7#
發表於 12-2-17 19:27 |只看該作者
回復 annie40 的帖子

这两天看了不少NBA youtube, 学坐一点vocabalury. 非常明白那个在球场上的女孩写: Be My Valentine 的心情. 连我都想 join Fans Club.  睇怕继Bruce Lee 后, Jeremy Lin 是另一位征服国际的华人.

So, you become NBA fans........

This morning, I listened to RTHK 1 "Happy Daily", the female host, Ng Man Yee shared the inspiration as a mother, he is a perfect role model for our kids. Then, I searched and found some interesting articles ......... here is one of them....

8#
發表於 12-2-17 20:34 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 12-2-17 20:38 編輯

Another article from Taiwan

豪小子的父母 才真不簡單!
作者:王道維
2012年2月13日中國時報

這幾天的體育版新聞無不圍繞著華人之光林書豪,他在世界籃球殿堂NBA的傑出表現。身為台灣人,能夠看到子弟在海外有這樣的成就當然會讓我們覺得與有榮焉。但是仔細想想,就會發現這背後的意義並不是那樣簡單的。

在進入紐約尼克隊之前,林書豪曾被所有的NBA球隊都拒絕簽約,連坐板凳球員都在去年連續被兩支球隊踢走。更別提當初因為沒有一個NCAA的學校願意提供他獎學金就讀,以至於他不得不選擇進入那個並非以運動著名的長春藤名校,哈佛大學。在得到當前的榮耀之前,他所曾經過的這些彎曲挫折,卻正是我們一般台灣學生或父母所避之惟恐不及的。這樣的林書豪,似乎才是我們在「與有榮焉」時所應深思的一面。

試想一下,如果我們是林書豪的父母,當時難道不會覺得讓這樣會念書的孩子去打球太可惜了嗎?那不是只有「不會讀書的孩子」才作的事嗎?不能進入籃球傳統名校不就表示一種挫敗嗎?後來能在哈佛大學經濟系畢業,不就表示他應該走進華爾街才對嗎?若早知道要去NBA打球,那些高額的學費豈不就白白浪費了?又為何非要去挑戰那幾乎沒有亞洲人可以生存的地方,經歷這麼多失敗、冷落、與屈辱?如果走一般人的路,作爸媽可能還可以用關係拉你一把呢!

這些話聽起來都很熟悉?只是並非發生在林書豪身上,而是在台灣土生土長的孩子身上,反應出許多台灣中產階級父母對子女生涯規劃的一種「強迫性焦慮」。嘴巴上說是為了子女好,但更多時候是因為我們「自己害怕」未來的「不確定」:所以我們很少在乎孩子的興趣,只想培養他們才藝;我們不鼓勵他們尋求人生的夢想,只想讓他們走在一條我們放心的道路:與別人一樣拼明星學校、選熱門科系與作別人羨慕的職業。這樣的想法雖是出自於父母親的「善意」,但卻根深蒂固於我們社會,成為台灣教育改革始終無法成功的根本原因。事實上,這也是正是林書豪的家庭教育(而非學校教育)與我們最大的不同之處。

在去年十月份,林書豪與其母親吳信信接受台灣好消息電視台的專訪,讓我們有機會更了解是甚麼樣的家庭教育幫助了林書豪經歷這一段尋求夢想、忍受挫折、然後逐夢踏實的過程。因為信仰的關係,林書豪的父母在孩子打籃球的這件事上學會放手,讓他追尋上帝在自己身上的特殊計畫。他們明智地注重品格培養而非最後的成果,使得林書豪不會在輸贏的壓力下患得患失,反而更能謙遜感恩地享受籃球的樂趣,發揮出更大的潛能。

雖然我們大多數人並未有這樣的信仰思維,但我們還是可以從林書豪與其家庭的例子,學習到如何幫助孩子及早尋得自己生命的價值,引導合適的道路,接納他們的跌倒與失敗,並繼續鼓勵他們完成自己的夢想。這可能會是一條與他人不一樣的路,無法馬上有清楚的結果可以期待,但我們卻可以與孩子一起經歷生命中真實的歡笑與淚水。

(作者為清華大學物理系教授)

無怨無悔的支持 林書豪:媽媽成就我
東森新聞2012年2月13日

NBA小子林書豪,在體壇上發光發亮,去年他跟母親回到台灣,參加訪談節目中表示,一路走來靠著都是信仰和全家人的支持,而林書豪更說自己的媽媽是個中西合璧的媽媽,具傳統又開明,雖然林書豪曾經歷經兩次人生低潮,還一次吃掉40根辣雞翅出氣,但靠著母親的鼓勵,林書豪從新站起來,他說除了謝謝上帝,更謝謝媽媽。

才兩歲大就抱著一顆大籃球,沒錯!打入NBA這個籃球夢,從小就在林書豪的心中紮根,能夠在NBA球場上發光發亮,身邊這位女士功不可沒。林書豪媽媽吳信信:「我們全家都很支持他,我很記得那時候在談的時候,我有說了不起再多養你幾年。」林書豪曾說,自己的媽媽就像中西合璧,有傳統也很開明,不畏其他人的看法,支持林書豪走籃球路。林書豪媽媽吳信信:「那我是很感謝神說,他第一年就可以進NBA,所以我不用養他,現在是他養我。」

把夢想變成了職業,其實林書豪也算是幫爸爸圓了夢,爸爸是他的啟蒙老師,也是他的頭號大粉絲,陪著林書豪南征北討,看出一家人的好感情,但林媽媽爆料,無法進入心目中的史丹佛,遴選湖人隊落空,林書豪也曾經歷經兩次人生低潮。林書豪媽媽吳信信:「我們的訊息是湖人隊會選他,所以湖人隊是58(順位) ,所以58一沒有選他的時候,我們還是很沮喪,所以有蠻長一段時間,都不知道要講什麼。」

哈佛小子林書豪:「當我被擊倒的時候,我會試著再站起來,或者重新來過,我不喜歡放棄,我是個很固執的人,聖經上也講很多,上帝關上了這扇門,會再為開啟另一扇門。」沒被挫折撂倒,林書豪把家人的支持轉為動力,打出成績,也不忘把這份榮耀與父母一起分享,靠著努力成了台灣驕傲,但對林書豪來說,最感謝的是上帝與媽媽的成就。

點評

annie40  有信仰的人总是多点幸福的!  發表於 12-2-20 11:03

9#
發表於 12-2-17 20:40 |只看該作者
富比士----希望讓大多數人返回工作崗位時,從「豪小子」身上學到成功秘訣,應用到職場上。

從林書豪身上學到的10堂課,包括:

(1)就算沒人相信你,你也要相信自己;
(2)當機會降臨時要懂得把握;
(3)家人永遠支持你,你也支持他們;
(4) 找出最適合自己的方式;
(5) 不要認為團隊成功是自己的功勞等等;
(6) 不論外在環境怎麼變,都不要改變最初的自己;
(7) 保持謙遜;
(8) 讓身旁的人更好,別人會永遠愛你;
(9) 別忘記上帝的恩寵;最後也提醒所有人;
(10) 還是得要好好努力。

因為你不知什麼時候機會降臨,只有做好準備,才能把握機會。

10#
發表於 12-2-22 14:54 |只看該作者
Thank you for your sharing.  

This is such a good story to one self and for the kids.  Its too easy to talk but too difficult to apply.  I shall remimd myself to stay positive, believe my kids and implanting some good values in their mind set.

11#
發表於 12-2-26 07:31 |只看該作者
thank you for sharing

12#
發表於 12-2-28 00:10 |只看該作者
yes, thank you for sharing! A very encouraging story indeed
‹ 上一主題|下一主題