發新帖
查看: 3761|回覆: 19
go

Which IS is good for gifted child [複製鏈接]

醒目開學勳章

1#
發表於 11-7-25 20:44 |只看該作者 |倒序瀏覽 |打印
Dear IS parents,
Please can you tell me which IS is good for gifted child?  Thanks!!!!
   0    0    0    0

醒目開學勳章

2#
發表於 11-7-27 10:34 |只看該作者
Hi parents, any suggestions?

3#
發表於 11-7-27 10:49 |只看該作者
I guess GSIS?
Not sure if they have any in-school support for gifted children but many students there take advance courses.

4#
發表於 11-7-27 10:58 |只看該作者
Hi mrshoho,

which area is your gifted at?

5#
發表於 11-7-27 10:59 |只看該作者
Hi Mrshoho,

which area your chid is gifted at?

6#
發表於 11-7-27 18:42 |只看該作者
原帖由 mrshoho 於 11-7-25 20:44 發表
Dear IS parents,
Please can you tell me which IS is good for gifted child?  Thanks!!!!

Discovery College

醒目開學勳章

7#
發表於 11-7-27 23:47 |只看該作者
Thanks for replying!!!

GSIS, very hard to get in and my son is not gifted in academic area.

Discovery is too far away from home.

My son is mostly vebally gifted after a test is done, the Ed psychologist suggested that traditional school would not fit my son's charateristic as he loves to ask questions and if he is asked to sit still and not allow to ask question, he will resist to cope and will demand to express himself.

I will take my son for another accessment to see if he needs to learn how to control his emotions... he is not one of those typical gifted child that school loves.. so, I am having a headache at finding a school for him.

8#
發表於 11-7-28 16:48 |只看該作者
Does it help if he is put in a small class?  If yes, how about Kingston and Norwegian Intl?

But how can a person be just verbally gifted?  I mean he must have a good and logical thinking (better than same aged group children) that made him talk so well.  It sounds to me that the centre who tested your son should be able to tell what type of schools suits him, and not just said "he wont fit in traditional schools'.

[ 本帖最後由 Mighty 於 11-7-28 11:53 編輯 ]
Mighty
love you for you
自分に負けるな!!

9#
發表於 11-7-28 17:16 |只看該作者
Hi, All,

I have similar concern which makes me headache recently:

I did not plan IS for my child initially, however, per the assessment result, he is evaluated as  "very advanced (gifted) intelligence". (I'm relieved to  learn that he has no emotional problem).  I think he behaves like most of the kids, but just like to ask "why" and answer with "because......", he could read and understand books (English) 3~4 years ahead of his age.  (parents just have normal English abilities)

Under this circumstances, will IS suit him better and we teach him Chinese by ourselves?
Is IS willing to teach according to his level?
I need to determine his path now. (he's almost 3yrs).

Please kindly advise, thanks.

原帖由 Mighty 於 11-7-28 16:48 發表
Does it help if he is put in a small class?  If yes, how about Kingston and Norwegian Intl?

But how can a person be just verbally gifted?  I mean he must have a good and logical thinking (better than ...

10#
發表於 11-7-28 23:35 |只看該作者
My little one at GSIS is reading at 5 years ahead chronological age based on recent school assessment and is not in any special class.  It's normal for kids to be reading at a higher level nowadays since they are exposed to many more materials and books than we used to.  

Don't worry too much.  Find a school that he's happy in.  That's most important.

原帖由 Rioboyboy 於 11-7-28 17:16 發表
Hi, All,

I did not plan IS for my child initially, however, per the assessment result, he is evaluated as  "very advanced (gifted) intellige ...

11#
發表於 11-7-29 01:04 |只看該作者
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

12#
發表於 11-7-29 09:48 |只看該作者
Sorry, may I know where did you take the assessment?  Some private centres?

As far as I know, it is not recommended for children under 5 / 6 to take such test, as the result may not be truely reflected.  From you post, I believe your child is less than 3-year old, right?  In my opinion, if you take such result as reference and "determine his path", I think it is just too soon.

原帖由 Rioboyboy 於 11-7-28 17:16 發表
Hi, All,

I did not plan IS for my child initially, however, per the assessment result, he is evaluated as  "very advanced (gifted) intellige ...

[ 本帖最後由 ramen 於 11-7-29 09:50 編輯 ]

13#
發表於 11-7-29 09:49 |只看該作者
Reading ahead of 3 to 4 years of UK peers are very common among my kids' class, I don't think it implies gifted child.  I don't know how those assessments are made, but just won't care too much on such results.  Generally the kids in IS in HK now have higher standard, so I would rather see if my kid is performing upto the standard of her peers in her school.

14#
發表於 11-7-29 14:13 |只看該作者
My son will go to KCIS, I like strong language of English and Mandarin.

15#
發表於 11-7-30 10:21 |只看該作者
原帖由 mrshoho 於 11-7-27 23:47 發表
Thanks for replying!!!

GSIS, very hard to get in and my son is not gifted in academic area.

Discovery is too far away from home.

My son is mostly vebally gifted after a test is done, the Ed psychol ...

How old is your son?  My son is in IS right now.  I have noticed that he won't "fit into" traditional school very early on, so I have decided that IS was the path.  I don't think it's the school that matters most, it's the class teacher that would really help my son.  His K1 class teacher has asked me to have him tested for giftedness, but I have not taken any action.  First, testing is not reliable until the child is 6 years old.  Second, gifted children usually have trouble in the classroom with social and emotional difficulties.  Like my son, he has some class SI symptoms that go with giftedness and I personally think his EQ is low.  You would really need a class teacher that understands your son and would continuous encourage him rather than discouraging him and discipline him.

We had a wonderful K1 year because he class teachers work closely with me to help my son out.  The wonderful thing about IS is that they allow each individual child to work towards their own goals.  There are some areas that my son is more advanced at, but there are some weak areas too.  I have been there myself and the ESF secondary school I went to allow me to go to classes with older kids in the subjects I was good at, while staying with my own peers for the other classes.  I graduated with my age group but with some advanced classes taken.

[ 本帖最後由 lottieclee 於 11-7-30 10:23 編輯 ]

16#
發表於 11-8-1 17:33 |只看該作者
lottieclee,

Could you please pm me which school your little one is attending?  I can tell this is a very good school.  Many thanks.

醒目開學勳章

17#
發表於 11-8-9 23:09 |只看該作者
Sorry for this later reply as we have been away, just came back yesterday... back to the topic... My son is almost 4, he had the test done simply becasue my father in law was very keen to get this grandson tested and after one year of nagging, I agreed to take my son to do it.  I have no idea what kind of accessment my father in law wanted my son to do until half way of the the accessment, I asked the accessment centre what exactly was my son being accessed on, and then I found out he had an IQ test done.  I knew my son was gifted in some area before I took him to do the test, he started talking in full sentences at an early age.  And I do notice his EQ problems as well...  I guess his EQ issue triggered me to do the accessment, becuase I was expecting an accessment on behaviour instead.  My son will start SI training class this week, I hope this can help him in some way...
I understand the IQ test is not reliable, since it was done, I just use this as an indication of this strength, but I am working hard to improve his weaknesses...  I dont think my son could fit in the traditional HK type schools, but I have no idea what type of IS suits him.
Could you pm me which IS your son goes to?

原帖由 lottieclee 於 30-7-2011 10:21 AM 發表

How old is your son?  My son is in IS right now.  I have noticed that he won't "fit into" traditional school very early on, so I have decided that IS was the path.  I don't think it's the school tha ...

18#
發表於 11-8-10 10:50 |只看該作者
Hi All,
How to know the kid good for IS or Local ?

19#
發表於 11-8-10 14:13 |只看該作者
原帖由 elsiewky 於 11-8-10 10:50 發表
Hi All,
How to know the kid good for IS or Local ?

For me... I could tell right away while my son was at Tutortime WOW for PN.  His class teacher also told me quite early on that, if I could afford it, to explore all the options available for my son, rather than going to a traditional local school.

20#
發表於 11-8-11 16:23 |只看該作者
My girl took this test at 3 and half years old: Stanford-Binet Intelligence Scale: Fifth Edition (SB5).  It was becoz the school didn't know how to deal with her and requested us to bring her to a developmental psychologist.  It turns out that she is highly gifted.  Closely we worked with the school which is willing to take the recommendation of the psychologist.  Now she loves the teachers and the school and the teachers also told us my girl has great improvement in the 2nd half of the school year.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題