用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 女兒Yr5,數學跟唔上,去邊到補英文數好呢?or點幫佢呢? ...
查看: 7269|回覆: 40
go

女兒Yr5,數學跟唔上,去邊到補英文數好呢?or點幫佢呢? [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 11-1-13 14:17 |只看該作者 |倒序瀏覽 |打印
enopi得嗎?好難塭人補英文數!
   0    0    0    0

2#
發表於 11-1-13 23:05 |只看該作者
可以給她試一下Math Monkey

3#
發表於 11-1-14 10:46 |只看該作者
原帖由 sabun 於 11-1-13 14:17 發表
enopi得嗎?好難塭人補英文數!

I guess U are probably not the only parent having this problem in her class. My younger dauther is also attending year 5 (I am not sure if they go to the same school in Ma On Shan)  . Even though she has no problem doing the ones with clear Math expressions, she has problem for those related to applications and problem solving, and she claimed some material were never taught in class before. May be that is the essense of "home learning"?!

Since there is no Math text book for year 5, we have problem following her progress until the report card came back at the end of each term.

4#
發表於 11-1-14 11:10 |只看該作者
原帖由 sabun 於 11-1-13 14:17 發表
enopi得嗎?好難塭人補英文數!

Sabun,

May be U can go to an outside book store ("Popular" at MK century plaza has a section of those)  to get an English math exercise book covering the units that she will learn in this year and ask her to do daily ,so that U can use that as a guideline to track her progress. If U don't have time, Umay also hire a  private tutor (U student)  back home ,for primary is about $100+ hour. I beleive that should be enough for primary.

One on one tutoring at reputable tutoring center cost more than $300/hour and require the year 5 girl to travel  a lot(even with a domestic helper) , which is less desirable.

If she is not good even with basic , try Kumon early, it is not as bad as others think. Kumon will assign daily assignment which require only 15 minutes per day ,but can build up the confidence of the kid , and she  only need to go the near by Kumon center once a week for an hour review.

[ 本帖最後由 acdad 於 11-1-14 11:12 編輯 ]

5#
發表於 11-1-14 14:38 |只看該作者
I read your post and want to ask whether the math curriculum in RC is difficult or not?  My son is in year two and he attends a math class (math club) twice a week by Mr Dan.  

原帖由 acdad 於 11-1-14 10:46 發表

I guess U are probably not the only parent having this problem in her class. My younger dauther is also attending year 5 (I am not sure if they go to the same school in Ma On Shan)  . Even though sh ...

6#
發表於 11-1-14 18:08 |只看該作者
not difficult!only you didn't have anything to follow!

7#
發表於 11-1-14 21:51 |只看該作者

回覆 2# Radiomama 的文章

I am not sure what are being taught in the Math club but from my older daugther experience 3 years ago , there was a big jump of the  expectation (Math skills) from year 5 to year 6. That was when I started writing in BK and put them on Kumon. Honestly, I did not think I would need to send my kids out for additional tutoring 3 years ago and thought the "brain pop" thing would be enough. I thought Math should be "a piece of cake" in IS. Obviously, I was wrong.

8#
發表於 11-1-14 22:26 |只看該作者
As Sabun said, it is difficult for parents to follow the child's Math progress  for PYP.  It may be too late if we wait until the report card comes back. Parents should frequently ask the child's to bring back the classwork normally completed in class and being  kept in school.

I am quite confident on my Math skills. I would say the depth of understanding the curriculum requires a lot  more than what is taught in class since year 6.  

If U are not a full time mom who can follow the kid's homework daily, start Kumon as early as possible. When U think Kumon is not enough, start private tutoring ,  if your child is just average. My younger one is getting 3 and 4 in Math in her report card and she just told me she remains the top 3 in her class so far. The experience 3 years ago did enlighten me somehow.

I am not sure what will happen next year. From what I experienced 3 years ago, Kumon would not be enough since  year 6. Good luck!

[ 本帖最後由 acdad 於 11-1-14 22:32 編輯 ]

9#
發表於 11-1-14 22:44 |只看該作者
do you mean kumon is the basic need for them!

10#
發表於 11-1-14 23:40 |只看該作者
acada,

Do you know if Enopi is also ok?  Thanks.

11#
發表於 11-1-14 23:49 |只看該作者
I think Kumon does provide a system for parents to track their progress, to build up the child's  confidence in Math step by step, and also set a rountine task need to be accomplished on a daily basis. And it only takes appx 15 minutes per day no matter which level they are at.

As a parent , U may at least check their kumon work at home whenever U want, identify her problems and  try to help her.  The Kumon tutor would also review her work weekly and try to help them to correct her misakes. They would also give them some incentives (promote to a higher grade ,issue them a certificate , etc) from time to time.

My 2 kids never refuse to do Kumon homework or   go to the weekly review in the last 3 years. If my younger one can get 3 and 4 in Math in Year 5 just with the help of Kumon, your child should be able to achieve that as well. But more important, it keeps her interest in the subject.

We all know in Math , if we are confused in certain part that was taught previously, we would not be able to follow what would be  taught later. So, we must keep track of the kid's work as early as possible and try to help them early.

12#
發表於 11-1-15 00:02 |只看該作者

回復 2# myjasmine 的帖子

Sorry, I don't have experience in that. Please share your info on the 2 below, Enopi and 學林 . My girls may need help in 解題.

enopi:

http://www.enopi.com/Main/Main_Local.aspx?CountryCd=HongKong&HMAC=zG5vOqdfp6I7mR3loo/s6KgOdn8=

學林:

http://www.selin.com.hk/

學林數學的特色

清晰的數學概念剖析。
小學生的思維特徵是從直觀形象思維過渡到抽象思維。所以每份學林數學的第一版有概念剖析,採用直觀圖形或一步步的圖解形式,作出指引,並加解釋,盡量少用文字敘述。最後寫出法則、定律或公式,這樣孩子容易理解吸收,補充了課堂上做筆記的作用。

每天計分計秒的練習。
學林數學作業有一定的題量和難度,各版作業的完成時間都有規定,孩子通過定時定量、循序漸進的訓練,培養了把握時間的觀念和專心一致的學習態度。我們驚奇地發現,孩子們通過了學林式訓練後,能提高對時間的統籌和駕馭能力,學習變得有成效,快速而正確。克服了做事懶散,注意力不集中的壞習慣。

應用「解題思路」,發展培養思維能力。
孩子不懂解題時,總是說"不懂",究竟哪一個步驟不懂,他無從問起,導師想教他也感到困難,只好一遍遍解釋,幫助他費時費力。現在有了解題思路,孩子可以自己先看解題思路,對不懂的哪個步驟或數量關係,導師也容易指導他。我們發現初期孩子做學林數學,問得比較多,後來問得越來越少,証明了孩子慢慢學會獨立思考,獨立解題,最後不再看解題思路也能解答應用題了。孩子自己解答了不懂得的難題,這比別人教他更是無比的高興。不斷累積這種成功的經驗,最終變得善於思考,喜歡數學。

多讓孩子能主動提出問題,學習由被動變為主動。
我們不僅重視孩子解題後的答案正確與否,更重要的是關注他的解題思考過程的合理性。讓孩子多提出疑難的問題,這樣更能增加他的思考機會,並及時糾正、補充、完善他的解題思路。孩子懂得提出問題,導師就有機會幫助他,孩子的學習變得主動和投入。事實証明,很多孩子通過學林數學的訓練後,思路清晰,思考更加嚴密,同時提高了口述表達能力。

[ 本帖最後由 acdad 於 11-1-15 00:12 編輯 ]

13#
發表於 11-1-15 10:07 |只看該作者
acdad,

sorry that i actually do not know much about enopi.  But friends told me that enopi's exercises are more funny for kids.  They do not have daily exercise but they will have exercise to be completed within the coming week.  Just like Kumon, the teachers will see their progress and may be able to spot whats wrong with the kids.

I guess our kids are studying in the same IS in MOS, your previous advice is really appreciated.  I think i need to plan seriously now.  Thanks acdad.

14#
發表於 11-1-15 12:53 |只看該作者

回覆 1# myjasmine 的文章

Hi myjamine,

Actually, this is the first time I hear enopi as well. By partcipating in this forum, I  have a chance to learn new things as well. So, thanks to you and other parents who don't mind sharing their experience and what they know.

I just talked to my daughters this morning and they keep reminding me not to cut their Kumon classes, that really means something to them.

By checking enopi website, there is an E. nopi center in MOS which is only 1 MTR stop away from our school. it seems quite convenient to us.

I will go to talk to someone in one of E.nopi center when I pick up the younger one from her painting class later today. May be we can share more info later.

15#
發表於 11-1-15 14:07 |只看該作者
by the way, it seems that teacher's expectation in this school is not low and many students will get some help outside school.  So how about Chinese?  Any good recommendation for Chinese learning outside?

16#
發表於 11-1-15 15:48 |只看該作者
Which years your daughters are now?
My son's math is ok and he is put into a special math class in school. But he comments that the math in Mr Dan's class is difficult.  I don't know what can I do but I keep giving him home exercise everyday.  He is doing Grade 3 maths and he can handle it.
Besides calculation, would Kumon cover a wide range of math curriculum??

原帖由 acdad 於 11-1-14 21:51 發表
I am not sure what are being taught in the Math club but from my older daugther experience 3 years ago , there was a big jump of the  expectation (Math skills) from year 5 to year 6. That was when I s ...

17#
發表於 11-1-15 21:16 |只看該作者
It seems that the Maths level of the IS at MOS is really high.  My daughter is studying in Yr 1 there.  Of course, everything is fine at this stage.  In order to prepare for the challenges in later years, it's really important to find some tuition class for her.  Now, she's taking tuition class in Math Monkey.  She likes it very much as there is not much pressure.  She needs complete an assignment once a week.  Still need more time to observe her level at regular intervals.  It's glad to hear more parents to share their valuable experience.  The most important thing is to keep the kid interested in the subject.

18#
發表於 11-1-15 22:48 |只看該作者

回復 1# erichkl 的帖子

Just find out the below workshops would be hold on Jan 27 related to this topic at RC. Please participate if U are interested. I do not know the differences between the 2 workshops, pls check with the school

1.Parent Workshop on Maths in the PYP (5:30pm-6:30pm)
2.Mathematics in the PYP Parent Workshop (5:30pm-7:30pm)

[ 本帖最後由 acdad 於 11-1-15 22:54 編輯 ]

19#
發表於 11-1-16 08:24 |只看該作者
acdad,

I even did not know about the workshops you mentioned.  Will it be opened to parents of a particular year level?  so do you know if it is to be held in the PAC?  do we need to sign up for that beforehand?

20#
發表於 11-1-16 17:16 |只看該作者

回覆 18# acdad 的文章

Thanks to your info !  But, I was not informed to attend those workshops.  I guess it's for parents of higher grade instead of Yr 1.

By the way, I & my wife have more concern on how to increase the interest of Chinese for our daughter.  Since Chinese is not a major subject in an IS, learning traditional Chinese really discourage her a lot.  But, it's not quite feasible to change to use simplified Chinese, it's also a headache issue.  We don't expect her to be able to write a good & long composition.  But, at least need to encourage her to read more Chinese books.  I don't know how many words does RC require the students to write in higher grade, say, Yr 5 ?
‹ 上一主題|下一主題