用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 海外留學 UK Girls Schools,Which one is better?
發新帖
查看: 3408|回覆: 4
go

UK Girls Schools,Which one is better?

發表於 10-9-20 19:21 |顯示全部帖子
本人明年將會到英國升讀F.3(Year 9),申請了以上3間中學(Harrogate Ladies' Collge,Haberdashers' Monmouth School for Girls and Casterton School),請問各位以上3間哪一間比較好,THX~

發表於 10-9-20 21:48 |顯示全部帖子
My dear lady,

Most of participants here are parents.  Happy to see a middle school girl prepare for herself.

Prepare yourself well for entrance tests, as you are going to Year 9, the test should not be easy.

Do not believe that the westerner students are not as good as Chinese students.  If you are going to fees pay school, you pay the same as other UK students.  They would accept good students accodringly their requirements.  If you apply schools via agents, check the school on web and check on Daily Telegraph/ Independent/ Guardian/ Observser and Times Newpspapers for school ranks, sometime, the agents would mislead you.  (Those newspaper education pages provide a lot of information on this field)

I personally prepare traditional boarding school which mean the schools had been established for over a hundred years.

Once you are offerred a place, the school will send you details about stuffs you need.

Look for name tags for laundry and name label to label person items.

If you don't have a list for school, come back here, I send you a suggestion list which I found on a summer boarding school in UK.

Mind you, English is very important, reading, writing, speaking and hearing.  Watch TV is good for practice.

All the best.  Though my info may be outdated, UK does not change as rapdily as HK.  Come back here for help.

Finally, once you confirm you are going & any return dates for holidays (school will provide school calender much earlier than HK ones), you better to book all the fligth tickets, mind you, you are not the only one.  A lot of small travel agents provide good services to oversea students.

發表於 10-9-21 11:01 |顯示全部帖子

回復 1# rachel-kim 的帖子

League tables are always controversial but I find this one quite useful: www.timesonline.co.uk/parentpowe ... t_secondary_schools
The 3 schools you mentioned are all ranked between 100 to 200:
Casterton 140
Harrogate Ladies' 170
Haberdasher Monmouth 187 (it was 82 a year ago)
So they are decent schools but not top tier.
Another good website is:
www.isi.net
You can find all the detailed school inspection reports here.
I am afraid I don't know anyone studying in any of these 3 schools so I can't give you any intimate details about any of them.

發表於 10-9-21 17:29 |顯示全部帖子

回復 3# rachel-kim 的帖子

check PM, (some inf fr newspaper)

發表於 10-9-21 20:15 |顯示全部帖子

回復 4# rachel-kim 的帖子

I 've friend whose girl studies Monmouth at Grade 11. She recommends this school for me if I have daughter. Monmouth's school fee is not high and the accommodation/meals are quite good. In addition, the teachers are sincere.

If I were you, I would take the followings into consideration:
1. The tradition of school such as some schools emphasize on all-round while some may emphasize on academic especially for some top notch ranking girl schools placing emphasize on academics only.
2. The ratio of Chinese in the form. Some schools with agency in HK may absorb more Chinese than others and your girl may not be mixed with locals in this case even the school is of high ranking.
3. Since your girl is still young, you may consider the location of school since some school teachers may not speak traditional English and your girl may not learn traditional English accent.
4.  The academic ranking of schools. I would not consider schools with ranking over 200.
5. Since the boarding house is the 2nd home for your girl, I prefer school with  boarding houses with over 300 students. The facilities might be better for large and many boarding houses.

You may write direct to schools to know more information such as the timetable of lessons, Chinese students ratio, boarding room size, housemate ratio, requirement to promote Grade 11 etc.

Good Luck!