搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 Local School to International School
發新帖
查看: 2473|回覆: 7
go

Local School to International School

發表於 10-7-16 10:26 |顯示全部帖子
Dear All,

My children are studying in a local school. I am thinking to switch them to IS when they promote to secondary school.

Any sharing?
Any comment?

發表於 10-7-18 23:22 |顯示全部帖子
my personal opinion for you is actually vice versa. child in youger age growing up in IS style helps creativity but at older age, traditional school helps disciplines!!

醒目開學勳章

發表於 10-7-19 11:49 |顯示全部帖子
There are always different preference of path for various reasons. Location, curriculum, fees, religious needs, etc.
I would not advice anyone to switch because he wants "stricter" discipline. If there is discipline problem with a child, mostly it is because the family (parents) are not hands-on with their kids education and discipline issues.
I do not think IS primary schools are any way loose in discipline. On the other hand, even with the most old fashioned traditional local school there are students with serious discipline problems.

發表於 10-7-19 12:59 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 jefferyho 於 10-7-18 23:22 發表
my personal opinion for you is actually vice versa. child in youger age growing up in IS style helps creativity but at older age, traditional school helps disciplines!!

in my opinion,

it is hardly to change personal character at a comparative older age

at younger age, children don't know what is right & what is wrong but require a closely guidance

發表於 10-7-19 13:02 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 Darth 於 10-7-19 11:49 發表
There are always different preference of path for various reasons. Location, curriculum, fees, religious needs, etc.
I would not advice anyone to switch because he wants "stricter" discipline. If ther ...

i find that my children's way of thinking is relatively creative and most of time can apply the knowledge to the real life
this is also the comment from teachers but i relatively reluctant to check the IQ for gifted

therefore i'm considering is it appropriate to switch to IS so as to receive training on "thinking out of the box"

any sharing / comment?

醒目開學勳章

發表於 10-7-19 13:57 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 bbfish1992 於 10-7-19 13:02 發表

i find that my children's way of thinking is relatively creative and most of time can apply the knowledge to the real life
this is also the comment from teachers but i relatively reluctant to check  ...

It is the curriculum, the way of teaching in western education system that children are allowed to be much more creative than under the local Hong Kong system. It has nothing to do with the IQ or giftedness of a child.
The differences can be spotted when 2 groups of children (local schools and international schools) are put together for activities. Local school kids are usually less willing to venture into the unknown. They are afraid to make mistakes or "look silly". So they would rather not put in they own ideas or speak up with their own views. International school kids are used to being encouraged to give comments, whether they comments are worth discussing or silly. So they usually have much more creative ideas, which sometimes might be quite silly.
I myself believe that it is more important to allow creativity to bloom during primary school years because the curriculum of primary IS have huge tolerance with "silly" views and "crazy" ideas.
It would be harder for local school kids to shine in a secondary IS because, first, they usually have more problems with communicating in English. And then, they are have much problems with coming up with creative ideas.

發表於 10-7-19 15:28 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 Darth 於 10-7-19 13:57 發表

It is the curriculum, the way of teaching in western education system that children are allowed to be much more creative than under the local Hong Kong system. It has nothing to do with the IQ or gi ...

Thanks for your prompt reply & useful information.

You really say my words & this is what I am looking for the children particular they ask me for many 'silly questions' and make 'strange ideas'. Comments from school teachers: they are mentally more mature than the children at the same age.

But i don't know should I better to let them switch or not to switch

What should be prepared?
What difficult would be faced?

In your opinion, is it better to switch now & not wait until secondary school. I suppose eng environment is not a very concern to them right now.

[ 本帖最後由 bbfish1992 於 10-7-19 15:29 編輯 ]

醒目開學勳章

發表於 10-7-19 18:42 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 bbfish1992 於 10-7-19 15:28 發表

Thanks for your prompt reply & useful information.

You really say my words & this is what I am looking for the children particular they ask me for many 'silly questions' and make 'strange ideas'. C ...

You sound happy with your kids' school.
What make you want to change?