密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 備戰大學 Sharing of IB vs NSS
樓主: ANChan59
go

Sharing of IB vs NSS   [複製鏈接]

141#
發表於 11-8-7 11:44 |顯示全部帖子
Last year, It's difficult to buy IB textbooks for my son. I tried B&N last year, availability was an issue.

This year I used Amazon UK to buy IB textbooks, very convenient and most books are available. You can have choices of delivery, take the faster one as our delivery costs are for international express. The leadtime is 4-5 days.
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

142#
發表於 11-8-21 12:45 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 mattsmum 於 11-8-21 11:10 發表
sometimes I wonder what is the meaning of average points of 34 in relation to grades that we are familiar, and I found this from an uk independent school:

"an average Diploma score of 34 points, equa ...

My understanding of 34 points equivalent to our IB scores (4 * 7 + 3 = 45 points / scores).

Another word also used in UCAS is tariff, you may also come across in UK university admission.

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-8-21 12:47 編輯 ]

143#
發表於 11-8-21 15:17 |顯示全部帖子

回覆 303# mattsmum 的文章

I get your point.

Normally, local universities take their local curricullum a bit higher than foreign curricullum. I always quoted medicine in HKU & CUHK even higher than Cambridge Medicine. We make the informed choice, played by the rules.

144#
發表於 11-9-1 21:22 |顯示全部帖子

First day - IBDP Year 1

My son enjoyed the new IB campus, 8 classrooms and 4 labs, pretty spaceous.....

3 classmates joined LPC and they are good in two languages, also not bad in other subjects. 1 joined India UWC........ amazing. 2 new recruits from IS in HK for IBDP year 1.

The IB coordinator told them the last Yr 1 IBDP students' predicted scores are very good (As predicted scores only, I prefer keep quiet for another 10 months and see the coorelation.). More than 10 aim at HKU medicine, 8-9 LSE, many for financein HK, 2-3 Harvard.......some got offers from Ivy League. Looking forward to see the final admission results.

They are busy to form the student council committee, clubs as office bearers etc, prefects, school MO teams........

They have some teacher turnover, the teachers profile more and more international......

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-9-1 21:53 編輯 ]

145#
發表於 11-9-2 22:54 |顯示全部帖子

回復 306# kym 的帖子

No idea yet.

If I have further info, let you know if appropriate.

146#
發表於 11-9-2 23:39 |顯示全部帖子

Text book - NSS more expensive than IBDP

My son told me that the text book cost of IBDP cheaper than NSS. Just LS has 6 textbook .....

Last year we shopped from B&N, it took longer time and need to wait for printing. This year we used Amazon UK and we got all books including shipping within 5 days. For international delivery, the two shipment costs made no difference (I tried with the calculator), I picked the express delivery.

147#
發表於 11-9-3 12:29 |顯示全部帖子

回覆 309# mattsmum 的文章

i would guess:
lpc is a boarding school, (Not valid)
lpc has a big campus, (Not valid)
lpc has lots of international students, (Yes)
lpc had experienced career master. (Not valid)

My comment only based on my son's school, directly disclosed my son's school name.

lpc is a co-edu school.

148#
發表於 11-9-3 12:44 |顯示全部帖子
I guess SPCC and DBS's IB results will be comparable to LPC. Just consider how many EAS students from them around 20+ each school per year.

LPC mainly recruited students can't get in local universities via EAS, the IBDP results also flying colors. Base on deduction, I guess SPCC & DBS's IB results not better but pretty close to LPC results.

Of course, I heard about the first batch students' predicted grades, the result may be even better than LPC, that's why I prefer to disclose 10 months later.

I guess more DSS Grant Schools will provide IB sream in near future, as they have solid foundation to provide good IBDP programs......

149#
發表於 11-9-5 12:14 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 Shoeshine 於 11-9-3 23:26 發表
Anybody got a list of the universities and colleges that the graduates of SPCC and DBS go to?  It seems that only DGS's website gives us such details.

Yes, I can't find them in their websites respectively.

I want to know the details as well.

150#
發表於 11-9-5 15:10 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 Shoeshine 於 11-9-5 14:55 發表
Isn't your kid studying in one of these 2 schools?

Yes.

I got some ideas about both schools, if possible, a detail destination list will be helpful.

151#
發表於 11-9-5 20:28 |顯示全部帖子

回覆 318# mattsmum 的文章

Thanks for your friend's reminder, I have some comments on the reminder.

"2012的Non-JUPAS名額大激增!. (I guess his comment based on no more EAS and more IB and GCE students in HK, but still minority in coming years.)

雖然很多IB學生都志在國際,不會有意報讀本地大學,但每年都有收到零星以非聯招(Non-JUPAS)途徑的申請,原因不一。(Correct. Another point is the IB score for local university is too high, students have more choice from overseas. Also, the exchange rate make overseas education more expensive.)
當然各系收非聯招的人數會否調整,則還須細考,但因為學生水平基本沒變(GCE and IB standard will be the same, but HKDSE will be dropped cf HKALE),每屆的聯招與非聯招比例不可能有太大的變化(2012 onward, no more EAS, the rule of game will be changed),若然,明年的非聯招收生人數將達過往的兩倍,若非聯招的申請人數沒有忽然增加一倍(I doubt it),勢必把收生成績下降,以將貨就價。...(I guess the standard will be dropped because of HKDSE and not non-JUPAS)"

My personal concern is high school students study one year less, but one more year in the university mainly focus on general studies. but the credits of major more or less the same as 3 years program. The graduates standard will be declined except medical school.

I guess professor will favour best students, no matter HKDSE, GCE or IB... if HKDSE just below HKALE's standard (I always feel HKDSE is closer to HKALE, other vetern posters even consider HKDSE closer to HKCEE standard), and more better choices from other exam boards, the choice is obvious.

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-9-5 20:31 編輯 ]

152#
發表於 11-9-5 20:41 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 Shoeshine 於 11-9-5 15:19 發表
I thought parents would have access to this information in detail.  Anyway, could you tell us roughly what you know?  

Say 120 F6 students, 20+ go for EAS and overseas before F7. So around 80% of the balance get into local universities, the rest either study overseas or taking sub-degree programs in HK.

153#
發表於 11-9-6 11:48 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 meddlesome 於 11-9-6 11:43 發表
Hi parents,

Do you have idea of the best IB school in Hong Kong in terms of teaching, result...etc?

Meddlesome

I will say LPCUWC.

154#
發表於 11-9-6 12:48 |顯示全部帖子

回覆 323# Shoeshine 的文章

You can also check what levels of each subject. If some IS encourage students to take Chinese standard B, Maths studies, 6-7 is min.... average is 35+, if other IB schools Chinese in A1 or A2, Maths in SL or HL, average also 35+......

I can't say it's cheating, but not far from there.....

155#
發表於 11-9-7 00:58 |顯示全部帖子
I know a girl at SIS, but I am not in a position to comment on the school. In terms of teachers experience and qualification, LPC should be the best.

After SPCC and DBS have students taking IBDP, will be interesting in the ranking.

156#
發表於 11-9-7 10:55 |顯示全部帖子

回覆 328# Shoeshine 的文章

Thanks Shoeshine

I start this thread more than a year ago to share the selection between NSS & IB in local schools and not for international schools. As I didn't do much research on IS after my son got into G1 in local school.

In international school sub-forum, more parents share IS & ESF info there.

157#
發表於 11-9-8 00:28 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 cstchan 於 11-9-7 23:56 發表
http://www.spcc.edu.hk/english/academic/university_offers

Thanks.

Surprised me, no one admitted into Oxford or Cambridge.

158#
發表於 11-9-9 00:56 |顯示全部帖子

回覆 335# papa_pop 的文章

What you said is common sense to most of us here, you missed the point. Let me elaborate more.....

In all public examinations in HK, SPCC results are better than DBS. As DBS every year had students admitted to Ivy League (This year a newly promoted Yr 2 IBDP student accepted by Columbia in July) and Oxbridge. I felt more students from SPCC.

Students from elite schools more prefer to stay in HK if they aim for professioal programs like medicine in HK. A friend of my son was back from London and rejoined DBS IBDP year 1 as he aims for medicine......

159#
發表於 11-9-9 11:30 |顯示全部帖子

回覆 337# Shoeshine 的文章

Shoeshine

I didn't have the comprehensive list of university admission of both SPCC & DBS. I know only a few cases and not represent the population.

Both schools have IBDP stream is the only way to keep more elite students. I guess after seeing the first batch results, may be more and more students opt for IBDP in both schools.

In F7 of DBS, around 100 students (F6 intake 120).

In HKDSE, ~200 students; IBDP, ~50 students.

ANChan59

160#
發表於 11-9-9 15:34 |顯示全部帖子

IB Score Boundaries 2011

In the last few weeks, my son searched the IB score boundaries for his subjects. I hope this may be useful for you all.

[url=http://www.sevenoaksschool.org/W ... undaries%202011.pdf]http://www.sevenoaksschool.org/W ... undaries%202011.pdf[/url]

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 11-9-9 15:36 編輯 ]
‹ 上一主題|下一主題