發表於 10-4-22 18:05 |只看該作者
What do you want to know? [/quote]

1.  請問你知否有一些網頁或機構可以查詢美國的中學暑假課程?

2.  我兒今年升上中二。

3.  通常是何時開始報名的?

thanks a lot.

4#
發表於 10-4-23 15:56 |只看該作者
Most of the high schools offer summer programme. go to www.boardingschoolreview.com  ----> choose the state you want to go ---> check for individual school for summer programm.

For general info of US high school studies, one can try for http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/. --> search for high school/prep school information.

醒目開學勳章

5#
發表於 10-4-23 21:08 |只看該作者
I would like to know if the kid go back to US to study middle school, will there be any school fee for public school? If private school, is the fee same as overseas students? Where can I find info on the ranking of the schools? and what things do I need to prepare? Thanks.

6#
發表於 10-4-23 23:06 |只看該作者
原帖由 kkbbkk 於 10-4-23 15:56 發表
Most of the high schools offer summer programme. go to www.boardingschoolreview.com  ----> choose the state you want to go ---> check for individual school for summer programm.

For general info of US ...

謝你的回覆。 我還有一些問題,可否請你回答。

1.  如何知道這些學校的summer course 質素如何?

2.  多數  報讀的又是哪類人? (因我想囝囝多點聽和講的機會)

3.  各校的收費是否差異很大?  

心急心急人上。  謝謝!

[ 本帖最後由 johnmon 於 10-4-23 23:07 編輯 ]

7#
發表於 10-4-24 00:12 |只看該作者

回覆 2# Elem 的文章

As far as I know there is no "ranking" for US private schools. You can still go to boardingschoolreview.com, check the "Comparisons" column and view schools sorted by highest SAT score. This may give you some idea on the respective school's academic performance.

For private schools, you need to take SSAT or Toefl (depending on school's requirement), and work hard for the coming school exam.

8#
發表於 10-4-26 09:44 |只看該作者
原帖由 Elem 於 10-4-23 21:08 發表
I would like to know if the kid go back to US to study middle school, will there be any school fee for public school? If private school, is the fee same as overseas students? Where can I find info on  ...

Elem,

As far as I know, for public school (if u are US Citizen), no/minimal fee. For this point u better double check.

For private schools, there are some pure day school and there are a lot more accepting both day and boarding students.

There are different tuition fees for day / boarding students. At the same time there are different fees for local/overseas students.

The school fees, however, for local/ international students will not be that huge. May be $ 3000 -4000 difference per year for boarding students.

You can check on the school website for the details of tuitions between local/international students. All school website will contain this info. Just go to the item like "tuition or Fee".

9#
發表於 10-4-26 09:54 |只看該作者

回覆 6# johnmon 的文章

Dear Johnmon,

All summer schools are taught by teachers hired for summer purpose only. However, the course structures (almost applicable for all school) are pretty standard. Since if you obtain upto a certain grade for the academic subject, the grade is acceptable as part of the GPA for their day time high school.

My experience was:

My son attended a famous "Phillips Academy, Andover" summer course. The name "Phillips Andover" gave us a lot more advantages when he subsequently applied for acceptance of good boarding schools in the States.  

If you are not so much concern about further studies in the States, I would say the "quality" of the courses conducted by most of the schools are pretty much the same.

10#
發表於 10-4-26 10:01 |只看該作者

回覆 5# Elem 的文章

Hi Elem,

One more thing between local / international students is that it would be more easy for local student to get financial aids.

11#
發表於 10-4-26 10:06 |只看該作者
Dear Johnmon,

My son went for summer school in 08. At his time, there are few HK kids and all of them, except my son, are from international schools (HKIS, CIS,ESF).

If you look at the website of Phillips Academy, Andover summer session, they have a breakdown on the student nationalities. I would say the students are highly international. There are a lot more chance for your kid to practice Eng. Your kid will be placed to share a room with English - speaking students because there are also many US local students (mainly from public schools) to study summer course.

For the case of Phillips Andover, the institute offers Free Summer Boarding courses for some talented students from poor families.

醒目開學勳章

12#
發表於 10-4-27 11:07 |只看該作者
luima and kkbbkk,
Thank you very much for the info.

kkbbkk, can you give me some example of famous public and private schools? or where can I find the info.?

For Phillips Academy, what age do it accept application of the students?

Many thanks.

13#
發表於 10-4-27 17:18 |只看該作者
原帖由 Elem 於 10-4-27 11:07 發表
luima and kkbbkk,
Thank you very much for the info.

kkbbkk, can you give me some example of famous public and private schools? or where can I find the info.?

For Phillips Academy, what age do it ac ...

Dear Elma,

There is no official ranking. There are a lot of arguement on which one is better.

For private boarding school, some use Ivy league + MIt Placement as indicator. Some use SAT and some use Acceptance Rate, etc.

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/prep-school-admissions/890284-2010-boarding-school-rankings.html?highlight=northfield+mount+hermon

For public school, there are un-official ranking as well. Public school are placed according to the district you live. There are another category called "Charter"? school, which are similar to selective schools in Australia. Entry exam is required for those charter schools.

Here are some of the good public school:

Boston Latin School, MA   (top 20 in 2007)
Lexington HS, MA   

Newsweek has ranking on US public school. I don't have the link. Please check on web.

I don't know if the Maths League ranking will give you some insight about academic standard of those private/public school. Normally public schools are denoted as HS(high school).

The Math League (National)  2010

Rank    Name of School    Final score
1    Stuyvesant HS, NY    180
2    Francis Lewis HS, NY    179
3    Mission San Jose HS, CA    179
4    The Windsor School, NY    179
5    Lexington HS, MA    178
6    Lynbrook HS, CA    178
7    South Vigo HS, IN    177
8    Torrey Pines HS, CA    177
9    Brookfield HS, CT    176
10    Palo Alto HS, CA    176
11    Saratoga HS, CA    176
12    Deerfield Beach HS, FL    176
13    Phillips Academy, MA    175
14 Northfield Mount Hermon 175

The admission grade of Phillips Academic Andover (both summer and boarding school) is grade 9, equivalent F.3 in HK.

14#
發表於 10-5-2 01:38 |只看該作者

回覆 11# kkbbkk 的文章

Dear kkbbkk,

Thank you very much for your usefull advice, I will think about it and hope to talk to you in the future.

醒目開學勳章

15#
發表於 10-5-3 13:46 |只看該作者
kkbbkk,

Millions thanks for the detailed info.

16#
發表於 10-5-4 12:44 |只看該作者

Stuyvesant HS, NY

Dear kkbbkk Mom,

我地申請緊移民, 如無意外應該下年會到美國,亞囡今年14歲(香港讀緊 Form 3),Stuyvesant HS 的口碑好嗎?而我會住在 Brooklyn,亞囡可以申請這間學校嗎?

Thanks in advance.

17#
發表於 10-5-4 16:39 |只看該作者
原帖由 myip1995 於 10-5-4 12:44 發表
Dear kkbbkk Mom,

我地申請緊移民, 如無意外應該下年會到美國,亞囡今年14歲(香港讀緊 Form 3),Stuyvesant HS 的口碑好嗎?而我會住在 Brooklyn,亞囡可以申請這間學校嗎?

Thanks in advance. ...

Dear myip1995

I have to apologize that I don't know much about public high school in the States. But I believe that the following link would help.

http://www.usnews.com/articles/education/high-schools/2007/11/29/americas-best-high-schools.html

18#
發表於 10-5-4 16:42 |只看該作者
Dear my 1995,

Form the link, you check for top 100 madel schools. Your target school was ranked 15th.

19#
發表於 10-5-5 12:27 |只看該作者
Hi kkbbkk,

Thanks for your help and the link for top 100 madel is very useful.

best,
myip

20#
發表於 10-5-5 13:03 |只看該作者
Stuyvesant HS is a great school.  However, it is a gifted public school.  Entrance exams must be taken.  Competition is very keen for a spot in the school.  it will also be a bit far if you live in Brooklyn, as it is in lower Manhattan near the former world trade center.

原帖由 myip1995 於 10-5-4 12:44 發表
Dear kkbbkk Mom,

Thanks in advance. ...

‹ 上一主題|下一主題