教育王國 討論區 初中教育 請問香港有多少間行IB的直資學校?
樓主: 凱倫
go

請問香港有多少間行IB的直資學校? [複製鏈接]

21#
發表於 10-11-6 10:13 |只看該作者
原帖由 fotk 於 10-11-6 08:40 發表
How about Yew Chung's IB program??

Sorry, your question is off the topic, here focus on DSS.

I am not an expert in IB and IS, pls refer to some posts in sub-forum - IS.

22#
發表於 10-11-6 16:08 |只看該作者
原帖由 ANChan59 於 10-11-4 19:15 發表
I heard from an insider of HKUGA, they applied for IB, but EDB  only allowed them to run limited classes in IB and the balance in NSS. It's difficult for them to accountable to parents, so they dropped to run IB.

All DSS schools except Li Po Chun have to run HKDSE as the main stream (ie: at least half of the students have to take the HKDSE). Principal Yau has cleverly solved this problem by offering both IBDP and HKDSE to all students. But I doubt if this is good for students.

[ 本帖最後由 cow 於 10-11-6 16:10 編輯 ]

23#
發表於 10-11-6 16:26 |只看該作者
原帖由 cow 於 10-11-6 16:08 發表
Principal Yau has cleverly solved this problem by offering both IBDP and HKDSE to all students. But I doubt if this is good for students.

Wait & see, he is clever or stupid....... I guess he is either over-estimate the ability of his students or fulfill his empty promise for years....."IB approach" to IBDP finally........

I personally wish he is clever, if not another diaster.... not him, students and parents.

24#
發表於 10-11-6 16:30 |只看該作者

All DSS schools except Li Po Chun have to run HKDSE as the main stream (ie: at least half of the students have to take the HKDSE).

Any source of info or link? NSS > 50%. Thanks.

I would like to know the logic, make EDB looks not so ugly????? or any other reason????

25#
發表於 10-11-7 22:11 |只看該作者

回覆 23# ANChan59 的文章

以某君那三寸不爛之舌,責任那會在他身上,他的名言是-你們誰不相信學校或者覺得學校有問題請走,waiting-list 很長,我早上一個電話,下午就有人來註冊"。
到頭來最可憐的是孩子,尤其是家境不足以送出国補矱的。

26#
發表於 10-11-7 22:31 |只看該作者
原帖由 PoPofamily 於 10-11-7 22:11 發表
以某君那三寸不爛之舌,責任那會在他身上,他的名言是-你們誰不相信學校或者覺得學校有問題請走,waiting-list 很長,我早上一個電話,下午就有人來註冊"。
到頭來最可憐的是孩子,尤其是家境不足以送出国補矱的。 ...

Of course I know that, you can refer to other posts, I hate those IB approach schools in HK. After Logos, many more in HK, if you go to primary school sub-forum in BK, you can see so many parents in those schools defend for those schools without really verify the claims from the headteachers against IBO.

Back to the basic, parents are frustrated by the education system in HK and have and had false hope on "Happy Learning" and "IB approach" schools. If they can execute as they promise, it's a dream come true and great solution for us.

I double checked those schools as back up for my son before F1. Most info from the parents related to those schools are either negative or without any track record to justify their claims, empty words without any authorization from IBO for years, except Creative Secondary School got it in 2009 finally.

Unfortunately, parents bet on the false hope and lack of critical thinking to evaluate it's true or not (Becasue they like to use the claims from the headteachers to defend the case, so funny, they don't trust IBO). If it is wrong, find another solution for our kids before it's too late.

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 10-11-8 21:12 編輯 ]

27#
發表於 10-11-8 16:42 |只看該作者

回覆 26# ANChan59 的文章

Can't agree more.
Those so-called "IB approach" schools always explain that it is no need to get the authorization so early as their students have not yet reached the years to select those IB courses.  Therefore  it is meaningless to pay the membership fees years ahead. And many of them don't have any IB qualified teachers so far while some said that they have been sending teachers for IB training.  Hence, that means the students studying in those IB approach schools have not been taught nor assessed by  any experienced IB qualified teachers(except for Creative School, before it is authorized, there were experienced IB teachers from aboard to monitor the courses but many of them had transferred to some famous DSS IB schools). I really doubt how to turn all students in those IB approach schools of various academic standards especially English to fit in the demanding IB courses in just 2 to 3 years time.  We should bear in mind that the current IB schools are mostly international schools with English speaking students  or schools well-known of having outstanding academic results(but still not all the students can take IB courses).
I do worry if those IB approach schools luckily get the authorization at last, they will just blindly send their substandard students to take the exam.  What will be the future of these poor kids?

[ 本帖最後由 PoPofamily 於 10-11-8 16:52 編輯 ]

28#
發表於 10-11-8 21:27 |只看該作者
All DSS schools except Li Po Chun have to run HKDSE as the main stream (ie: at least half of the students have to take the HKDSE). Principal Yau has cleverly solved this problem by offering both IBDP ...

Just for clarification, LPCUWC is not a DSS school, private school instead.

Quote from IBO
Li Po Chun United World College of Hong Kong has been an IB World School since December 1991. It offers the IB Diploma Programme. The school is private. The head of the school is Stephen Codrington.
Unquote

The link -
http://www.ibo.org/school/000638/

29#
發表於 10-11-9 01:16 |只看該作者

回覆 27# PoPofamily 的文章

Those so-called "IB approach" schools always explain that it is no need to get the authorization so early as their students have not yet reached the years to select those IB courses. Therefore  it is meaningless to pay the membership fees years ahead (Annual fee only US$10,000, 200 student in IBDP, US$50 per head per annum).  And many of them don't have any IB qualified teachers so far while some said that they have been sending teachers for IB training.  Hence, that means the students studying in those IB approach schools have not been taught nor assessed by any experienced IB qualified teachers (I am not sure, some % may be IB teachers or even examiners)(except for Creative School, before it is authorized, there were experienced IB teachers from aboard to monitor the courses but many of them had transferred to some famous DSS IB schools)(You mean DBS & SPCC..... ). I really doubt how to turn all students in those IB approach schools of various academic standards especially English to fit in the demanding IB courses in just 2 to 3 years time (They may enrol only some capable students to take IBDP or MYP. Should be OK).  We should bear in mind that the current IB schools are mostly international schools with English speaking students  or schools well-known of having outstanding academic results(but still not all the students can take IB courses)(I know some parents defended that kids are ready in those schools, as the schools run years in IB approach ).
I do worry if those IB approach schools luckily get the authorization at last, they will just blindly send their substandard students to take the exam.  What will be the future of these poor kids?

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 10-11-9 01:21 編輯 ]

30#
發表於 10-11-9 09:43 |只看該作者
"As a local educator of a subsidised school, I bear in mind to offer local education system. At least there is no immediate need of IB in DGS” said by Mrs Stella Lau
(DGS Headmistress) in the DGS admission talk.

[ 本帖最後由 cman_li 於 10-11-9 09:45 編輯 ]

31#
發表於 10-11-9 10:09 |只看該作者

回覆 29# ANChan59 的文章

(They may enrol only some capable students to take IBDP or MYP. Should be OK). -This is the core issue.  How about the rest? The average standard students are the sufferers.  They should be the largest portion, can they go back to the local education?  Take 334 exams at the end of the day  after putting so much efforts in those IB courses.  Though a Mr. Y of one IB appraoch school said that for students trained to sit for IB exams. will have no difficulties to sit for 334 exams. Is it really so? Every exam. needs different skills. I agree that for exceptionally talented students, they can fit in any systems but not all. If they are so bright, they should have excellent results in IB  exam. no need  to seek other outlets. While those below average students,  where can they go?

[ 本帖最後由 PoPofamily 於 10-11-9 21:57 編輯 ]

32#
發表於 10-11-9 11:03 |只看該作者
原帖由 cman_li 於 10-11-9 09:43 發表
"As a local educator of a subsidised school, I bear in mind to offer local education system. At least there is no immediate need of IB in DGS” said by Mrs Stella Lau
(DGS Headmistress) in the DGS ad ...

In DSS, all headmasters and the board of education providers have the right to opt for NSS, and or IB. If they have the right to choose and they still maintain the staus quo, I respect their decisions.

In another DBS admission talk 2 years ago by Mr. Terrence Chang "Every year, we have so many brilliant students study in overseas before F5 or F7, as they want to have a better chance to study in Ivy League or Oxford / Cambridge. IB is a program for them to study in HK and apply local universities through non-JUPAS and link to those elite universities internationally without taking so many examinations."

I am a firm believer in HKCEE and HKAL's academic standards. If no NSS, I will keep my son in local curriculum. We decided to switch to IB after listening to the admission talks from the admission officers from Oxford and Cambridge. Just an example, our HKDSE A** not equivalent to GCE A** (amended by ANChan59, A** instead of A*), if we browse through the prospectus of LSE or equivalent university, it clearly state the requirement on certain subjects in certain grade, so the chance is ??????

I also recommend parents go to UCAS website and see the tariff table, particularly the small prints which will provide a better picture of HKDSE, not just look at the summary from EDB.

As my son is the second batch of HKDSE, no track record, elite universities are hesitate, IB is a good choice for him.

After 5 years or more, we may have different view on HKDSE.

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 10-11-9 14:04 編輯 ]

33#
發表於 10-11-9 11:33 |只看該作者

回覆 32# ANChan59 的文章

"Just an example, our HKDSE A* not equivalent to GCE A*, only A, if we browse through the prospectus of LSE or equivalent university, it clearly state the requirement on certain subjects in A*, "-CORRECT.
I have attended a talk on HKDSE recently, there is 5**(A**) which is yet to be acredited with the appropriate grading after the 1st batch of results come out(2012). For my understanding this 5**(A**) marking is to cater  for students showing exceptional insights in the subjects.
According to UCAS marking scheme
HKDSE (marking except Maths)
5**-yet to be determined
5*-130
5-  120
4- 80
3- 40
APP(Advanced Placement Programme)
5- 120
4- 90
3- 60
CIE Cambridge Pre-U Diploma
D1- not applicable
D2-145
D3- 130
M1-115
M2-101
M3-87
P1- 73
P2-59
P3-45
GCEA-level
A*- 140
A -  120
B -  100
C -  80
D - 60
E-  40
IB(Higher Level)
7 -130
6 - 110
5 - 80
4 -50
3 -20
Sources from EDB-www.hkeaa.edu.hk/tc/hkdse/
UCAS website- www.ucas.co.uk
I am open to all exam. systems but I am just annoyed by some irresponsible educators who do not really consider the welfares of their students and misled  parents to push their kids in the wrong paths.  Being a mother of two, I learnt that different kids need different appraoches in learning.  Parents must keep an open mind and open our eyes wide to evaluate carefully what is best for our kids.  The school and the system we chose should fit our kids but not our kids to fit the school or system.

[ 本帖最後由 PoPofamily 於 10-11-10 16:48 編輯 ]

34#
發表於 10-11-9 11:44 |只看該作者
Parents you have provided good information on IB.and some concerns over HKDSE

So among the DSS in HK, which school's IB program is with good quality?

原帖由 PoPofamily 於 10-11-9 11:33 發表
"Just an example, our HKDSE A* not equivalent to GCE A*, only A, if we browse through the prospectus of LSE or equivalent university, it clearly state the requirement on certain subjects in A*, "-CORR ...

35#
發表於 10-11-9 13:15 |只看該作者
原帖由 ssdiana 於 10-11-9 11:44 發表
So among the DSS in HK, which school's IB program is with good quality?

Unfortunately, none for DSS, as no 1st batch examination result released yet. Creative and DBS's IB students will sit for IBDP in 2012, I know some DSS may sit for IBDP in 2012, but they keep it low profile or confidential and just for parents reference only.

You may query the above answer, as many IB approach schools in HK, and they preach "happy learning", IB and established for some years........ My definition of IB school must be authroised in IBO website.

I am not sure about your definition of quality: students, teachers, facilities, boarding facility, overseas students etc. I did compare DBS and SPCC in another post IB vs NSS in local DSS, the link is listed as follow:

http://forum.edu-kingdom.com/viewthread.php?tid=2214323&extra=&page=4

If I really compare the DSS, IB schools, just only CSS (MYP & IBDP) and DBS (IBDP only) eligible, but I am not in a position to compare this two schools as no track records and I am not familiar with CSS. If any parents know any other DSS schools authorised by IBO, pls share with us.

The best in HK is LPCUWC (Local students 39+, avaerage 37+), then CIS (refer to their IB results from their website.), most established IB schools in HK are either IS or ESF right now.

[ 本帖最後由 ANChan59 於 10-11-9 13:21 編輯 ]

36#
發表於 10-11-9 13:22 |只看該作者
原帖由 ANChan59 於 10-11-9 13:15 發表
If I really compare the DSS, IB schools, just only CSS (MYP & IBDP) and DBS (IBDP only) eligible, but I am not in a position to compare this two schools as no track records and I am not familiar with CSS. If any parents know any other DSS schools authorised by IBO, pls share with us.

I vote for SPCC.

37#
發表於 10-11-9 13:24 |只看該作者
原帖由 cow 於 10-11-9 13:22 發表

I vote for SPCC.

Any grounds? Pls share with us.

38#
發表於 10-11-9 13:34 |只看該作者
Based on the history of SPCC and the quality of the students. I don't want to compare SPCC with DBS but SPCC must be much better than CSS.

39#
發表於 10-11-9 13:49 |只看該作者
原帖由 cow 於 10-11-9 13:34 發表
Based on the history of SPCC and the quality of the students. I don't want to compare SPCC with DBS but SPCC must be much better than CSS.

Noted with thanks.

My son applied both SPCC and DBS this year, I can say they are comparable.

Personally, I appreciate CSS more, low profile and authorised MYP in 2009, IBDP 2010, years before IB authoization hired IB certified teachers and examiners to upgrade the school and curriculum as per IBO's assessment requirements. With limited resources and history relative to DBS and SPCC, CSS achieved alot and the principal is "walk the talk". A role model for DSS IB school in HK.

40#
發表於 10-11-9 14:09 |只看該作者
ANChan59,

My question may look stupid.  

In the absence of track record, how can you ensure DBS is on the right track in providing the IBDP?
‹ 上一主題|下一主題