發表於 09-12-23 14:32 |只看該作者
Dear LaLa,
Thanks a lot. I'll let her try this.
原帖由 LaLa 於 09-12-23 11:25 發表
Rick18li,

We use Wide Range Starters.

122#
發表於 09-12-23 14:36 |只看該作者
Agreed. Everyone will have their own preference and frankly, DGJS do have a very fair process. I do not have any relationship with DGJS and live in N.T. but I still got the offer though finally I'll choose SPCC due to the family vote.
原帖由 LaLa 於 09-12-23 10:55 發表
Home address is definitely not among the most important considerations.  There are loads of DGJS girls living on HK side and some in N.T.  In the game of primary one application, a HK Island address w ...

123#
發表於 09-12-23 15:56 |只看該作者
This week is an exciting week for me.
Before receiving the letter from DGJS, there was acrimonious 'discussion' or 'debates' as to which school to go between my husband and I, among my coleagues and my friends.  
Now, I receieved the rejection letter.
It seems that everything is settled.
My ears and my brain can take a rest.
I can relax for the next few months.  
My opinion is that Mrs.Dai is very nice and devoted.  It's a fair game afterall.

124#
發表於 09-12-23 16:14 |只看該作者
Dear Charlottchan , Hui916 & Ricki18li,

Nice to know our daughters might be classmate in SPCC. Although I haven't received any letter from DGJS uptil now, I checked with the school yesterday, the lady said my girl should be not in the acceptance list. I am very happy with that co's no more agreement or hesitation even though I have decided to go for SPCC.

Congratulation to all girls accepted by DGJS.

Let's enjoy the school life (may be very tough) for  the coming 6 years.

125#
發表於 09-12-23 16:17 |只看該作者
原帖由 Rick18li 於 09-12-23 14:36 發表
Agreed. Everyone will have their own preference and frankly, DGJS do have a very fair process. I do not have any relationship with DGJS and live in N.T. but I still got the offer though finally I'll c ...

I don't think any of the school has fair process as it is very subjective, closed and criteria are kept secret.   SFA  probably has a process with near to being fair.

126#
發表於 09-12-23 16:19 |只看該作者
That's true. The debate is really hot..
原帖由 charlottechan 於 09-12-23 15:56 發表
This week is an exciting week for me.
Before receiving the letter from DGJS, there was acrimonious 'discussion' or 'debates' as to which school to go between my husband and I, among my coleagues and  ...

127#
發表於 09-12-23 16:26 |只看該作者
I think what we mean fair is at least they will give you chance to attend the interview. Whether the kid can get in will obviously subject to the preference of the interviewer. Even for Government's CAS, dont you think it's fair? Only those live in the area can get higher chance to get in the school (like Marynoll or St Mary). It is not fair to those who cannot afford the place there.
After all, chances have been given to you but whether you can get it or not depends on many factors. We cannot simply say this is not fair.
原帖由 smartmatt 於 09-12-23 16:17 發表

I don't think any of the school has fair process as it is very subjective, closed and criteria are kept secret.   SFA  probably has a process with near to being fair.

128#
發表於 09-12-23 16:51 |只看該作者
Inside_nicole,
Would you please tell us more about the two schools as you did your primary in SPCC and DGS for the high school?
I am very much interested to know because I am also a bit interested in switching my daughter to SPCC for high school, that is the other way of you.
My daughter is currently in DGJS. I preferred DGJS than SPCC purely because SPCC is a Chinese primary school and DGJS is an English primary school. (We have a strong preference in English than Chinese.)
I know the high school of SPCC is an English high school. Hence, I would like to know more of SPCC and of course we have to consider other factor such as switching school is not really such a good experience for the kid. Or you can tell us more of your experience.

原帖由 inside_nicole 於 09-12-23 12:35 發表
what a pity! i thought dgjs was your first preference! but yes indeed spccps is a good school, i personally finished primary school there too, but switched to dgs for secondary school..

129#
發表於 09-12-23 16:54 |只看該作者
Hi Oasismcmug
Would you mind to share what kind of txt books are DGJS using. Please pm me if you dont mind to share the book list
Thanks
原帖由 oasismcmug 於 09-12-23 16:51 發表
Inside_nicole,
Would you please tell us more about the two schools as you did your primary in SPCC and DGS for the high school?
I am very much interested to know because I am also a bit interested in  ...

130#
發表於 09-12-23 17:08 |只看該作者
原帖由 Rick18li 於 09-12-23 16:26 發表
I think what we mean fair is at least they will give you chance to attend the interview. Whether the kid can get in will obviously subject to the preference of the interviewer. Even for Government's C ...

If by fair you mean anyone can apply and get an interview, yes you are correct.   We should be thankful that discrimination is openly employed.  

The lucky draw system is fair in the sense you know the rules and its reasoning behind it.  What is unfair to all HK kids is that government has its head in sand when it considers all P schools to be equal, which is clearly not the case.

131#
發表於 09-12-23 17:14 |只看該作者

回覆 1# smartmatt 的文章

It is impossible that all the things is FAIR.  

the result was settled, it won't change even you blame it is an infair game.  

UNFAIR is all around, no matter at work, at school or in our life.

Should we all have a peaceful mind to have a wonderful x'mas with our kids!

132#
發表於 09-12-23 17:15 |只看該作者
Dear Rick18li,
I don't mind sharing it with you but it might take me sometime to type it all and send it to you. Plus I really do not know where I have put my book list as I bought all the books at once and I did not pay too much attention to the list.
In fact, you do not have to mind too much of what books or text books whichever school use. The difference is not in the book, but the school. Or I should also say the difference is also not that much in the school, but the students and the differece in peer group. The text books or reading books that DGJS used is just ordinary books as other primary schools in HK. Nothing special and not even to mention that they are hard. By the way, DGJS does not use much text book for their main subject expecially English and Maths (may be  in a later stage?) The only thing I was told is the Chinese standard of SPCC is the highest among most of the famous schools. This is also one of the very main reason that I prefer DGJS than SPCC.

原帖由 Rick18li 於 09-12-23 16:54 發表
Hi Oasismcmug
Would you mind to share what kind of txt books are DGJS using. Please pm me if you dont mind to share the book list
Thanks

[ 本帖最後由 oasismcmug 於 09-12-23 17:29 編輯 ]

133#
發表於 09-12-23 17:21 |只看該作者
I got the offer from DGJS, and I did not apply for SPCC.  as I know, many parent will give up DGJS if they got the offer from SPCC.  co-edu / girl school??

which one will you pick?

I just received the offer from CKY, I might put my girl in CKY instead of DGJS. My husband want my girl to have a happy school life.  we are still thinking?

can my girl/or me handle the pressure in DGJS.  I feel my girl just get in by luck....she is not that smart

134#
發表於 09-12-23 17:50 |只看該作者
原帖由 tvnotallow 於 09-12-23 17:14 發表
It is impossible that all the things is FAIR.  

the result was settled, it won't change even you blame it is an infair game.  

UNFAIR is all around, no matter at work, at school or in our life.

Sho ...

Thanks.  Agree nothing is fair.  I don't blame the result or not getting an offer, as I don't think my girl is an academically top student.  But to say its fair because you can apply and get an interview is stretching the meaning of fairness.   Merry Xmas!

135#
發表於 09-12-23 18:57 |只看該作者
Dear tvnotallow,

Very few parents will consider not to take DGJS (unless you have got SPCC), you and your hubby are trying to select the BEST for your girl. She is really lucky. I hope you can have a better picture of DGJS through sharing with the current parents. Actually some friends whose daughter studying in DGJS told me the different story. Some think the cirriculumn is not that hard and quite easy to handle. But some think it is a hard job for a working mum to follow up closely with their syllabus. I think it really matters the kid herself. And usually we will want to give it a try, say one year, before we forgo. I truely hope you can get the BEST for your girl finally.

原帖由 tvnotallow 於 09-12-23 17:21 發表
I got the offer from DGJS, and I did not apply for SPCC.  as I know, many parent will give up DGJS if they got the offer from SPCC.  co-edu / girl school??

which one will you pick?

I just received t ...

136#
發表於 09-12-23 19:16 |只看該作者

回覆 8# oasismcmug 的文章

I was thinking the other way around. One of the reasons I like SPCC is that its primary school used Chinese as the primary language of instruction. I am strongly convinced that a kid will benefit the most when educated using his/her first language. This would by no means compromise their academic standard. SPCC primary school compresses 6-year curriculum into 5 year. Their primary 6 teaches the curriculum used in other band 1 secondary schools. I was told that their bottom students have become the top performers after transferring to Wah Yan.

Their medium of instruction switch to English and Mandarin in primary 5. This would give students, whose native language is not English, a more comfortable transitional period.

In my discussion with Mrs. Lee during the 2nd interview, she seemed not worried at all about students' English standard. Rather, she was somewhat worried that some students have not paid good efforts to learn Chinese.

137#
發表於 09-12-23 21:35 |只看該作者
Tvnotallow,
I am not trying to convince you to go to DGJS or trying to convince you that DGJS is a better school than CKY.
However, as we are all mumies. I would like to give you a gentle reminder just as the other mummy said, it will never hurt to give it a try. You can at any time go back to CKY or any other local school that you think it has less pressure. However, it is unlikely that we can go back to DGJS after you got in CKY. I am sure a lot of schools will still wellcome your daughter if she finds DGJS does not suit her or if she finds it is too tough. CKY is quite different from the traditional local school in HK. It is almost you can never turn back to any traditional school once you have selected the path.
I believe the saying, no pain no gain and there is no free lunch in the world. Your daughter may need to work a little bit harder when she is little but she may enjoy a good life for another 40 or more yrs after school. I think it is worth it. Of course it would be another story if she is actually torturing in DGJS. Then of course it is not worth it.
原帖由 tvnotallow 於 09-12-23 17:21 發表

which one will you pick?

I just received t ...

138#
發表於 09-12-23 21:52 |只看該作者

回覆 1# oasismcmug 的文章

oasismcmug,

I am so appreciate for your comment.  I just have a good discussion with my  husband, but end up no decision was made.  I will still register for DGJS and have a deep consideration btw DGJS /CKY.  NOw I have pressure on making the decision, I am afraid I pick up the wrong one for my girl!  PAIN!

139#
發表於 09-12-23 22:10 |只看該作者
Dear tvnotallow,
Congrats to your daughter! I read from your previous posts that she is now in SPK and has already got offer from SPCPS. Would you still consider SPC? It is a school with higher reputation as compared to CKY, and the studying pressure is not as high as that in DGJS. A very good choice to many.

原帖由 tvnotallow 於 09-12-23 21:52 發表
oasismcmug,

I am so appreciate for your comment.  I just have a good discussion with my  husband, but end up no decision was made.  I will still register for DGJS and have a deep consideration btw DG ...

140#
發表於 09-12-24 09:52 |只看該作者
I would add to hui916's comments.  SPCCPS is quite special in that despite being a so-called Chinese primary school, its students are very good in English - in speaking and writing.  Their reading materials are very advanced.  My observation is that they may have the largest number of NET teachers among local primary schools (with the exception of CKY - Correct me if I got it wrong) and I wouldn't doubt their listening skills.  

The headmistress has rightly pointed out that she's more concerned about their Chinese standard.  In fact, their Chinese syllabus is rather demanding as it has made reference to the mainland syllabus.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題