密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 小一選校 港學童英語能力急跌
樓主: gingerale
go

港學童英語能力急跌 [複製鏈接]

41#
發表於 09-12-2 15:01 |只看該作者
My second-cousin had good English as a small kid, but as he grew bigger, his English got worse.  He's not very willing to use it, unless it's really necessary.  It's kind of awkward to speak to a Chinese person in English.

When I was in secondary school, we had English campaigns and English days.  But none of the students would speak in English.  We just kept our mouth shut when there were teachers around.  I agree that English environment is really important for learning the language.

42#
發表於 09-12-2 15:07 |只看該作者
現在英文好的小朋友以後會不會變差將來才知道。
但現在英文不好的十幾二十歲年輕人﹐他們小時候的英文水平﹐一定比我們小時候好得多。
現在我們要作的是﹐怎樣使我們正在讀幼稚園/小學的小孩讀到中學大學的時候﹐ 他們的英文不會像現在的年輕人那樣。

原帖由 wootaitai 於 09-12-2 14:49 發表
But amongst the kids I know everybody can speak in english and they can read books... I wonder why it will deteriorate when they grow up.

Yes, they might not have perfect accent but they have good vo ...

43#
發表於 09-12-2 15:12 |只看該作者
這個要看父母本身的英語水平是怎樣﹐但單是靠家裡一個星期一倆天英文日也不夠。  當然家校合作的效果是最好的。

原帖由 daisy17772 於 09-12-2 14:35 發表

My personal opinion is even studying at English local school is inadequate to reach high in both vocal and written English proficiency, but it's better than none.  If possible, let them exposure mor ...

44#
發表於 09-12-2 15:43 |只看該作者
原帖由 rachncurtsmom 於 09-12-2 15:01 發表
My second-cousin had good English as a small kid, but as he grew bigger, his English got worse.  He's not very willing to use it, unless it's really necessary.  It's kind of awkward to speak to a Chin ...

We should encourage our kids to speak English.  I play simple games with them and keep repeating the same phrases where they can reply in simple phrases.  We build on this.   E.g. hide and seek, "where are you?", answer "I'm here", "are you in bed?", "no /yes",...and it goes on to build vocabulary and confidence.

45#
發表於 09-12-2 15:45 |只看該作者
原帖由 daisy17772 於 09-12-2 14:56 發表

Oral and written are two things.  One can speak English well doesn't mean he/she can write good English.
I observed that personality and confidence play a role.  In my previous work, even some gradu ...

My observation is majority of uni graduates (even ones returning from abroad) can't speak good English.

46#
發表於 09-12-2 16:00 |只看該作者
原帖由 gingerale 於 09-12-2 15:07 發表
現在英文好的小朋友以後會不會變差將來才知道。
但現在英文不好的十幾二十歲年輕人﹐他們小時候的英文水平﹐一定比我們小時候好得多。
現在我們要作的是﹐怎樣使我們正在讀幼稚園/小學的小孩讀到中學大學的時候﹐ 他們的英文 ...

點解你咁肯定呢??

47#
發表於 09-12-2 16:02 |只看該作者
原帖由 wootaitai 於 09-12-2 14:49 發表
But amongst the kids I know everybody can speak in english and they can read books... I wonder why it will deteriorate when they grow up.

Yes, they might not have perfect accent but they have good vo ...

這不是就叫做:

win 在起點... 但輸在終點....

48#
發表於 09-12-2 16:08 |只看該作者
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

49#
發表於 09-12-2 16:15 |只看該作者
也許你比較年輕﹐我讀幼稚園是七十年代的事﹐4歲才學A for apple﹐b for boy﹐etc

現在年輕人讀幼稚園已是九十年代以後﹐小時候學的英文﹐肯定比我那一代多和深吧﹖

原帖由 rabbitpiggy 於 09-12-2 16:00 發表

點解你咁肯定呢??

50#
發表於 09-12-2 16:16 |只看該作者
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

51#
發表於 09-12-2 16:17 |只看該作者
原帖由 gingerale 於 09-12-2 16:15 發表
也許你比較年輕﹐我讀幼稚園是七十年代的事﹐4歲才學A for apple﹐b for boy﹐etc

現在年輕人讀幼稚園已是九十年代以後﹐小時候學的英文﹐肯定比我那一代多和深吧﹖

yes, well for minority, its at 3 yrs old instead of 4 where learn their ABC's.  By 4 they are learning more worlds and simple sentences.

52#
發表於 09-12-2 20:59 |只看該作者
原帖由 smartmatt 於 09-12-2 15:45 發表

My observation is majority of uni graduates (even ones returning from abroad) can't speak good English.

I met those ppl returning from abroad.  Because if those overseas students stay only with ppl from HK, they are unlikely to pick up good English.  But HK uni graduates having poor speaking English is more common due to lack of English environment, those overseas graduates still having poor speaking English is because they haven't made use of the favourable Environment, and /or they were sent to abroad not early enough to learn language. So the key is still " having the environment and do make use of it', and ppl who is not afraid of speaking up will win.  Those ppl from overseas uni who do speak good English ( i don't mean perfect accent) usually come from very good University and have studied in overseas countries since they were small.

53#
發表於 09-12-2 22:36 |只看該作者
原帖由 daisy17772 於 09-12-2 20:59 發表

I met those ppl returning from abroad.  Because if those overseas students stay only with ppl from HK, they are unlikely to pick up good English.  But HK uni graduates having poor speaking English i ...

If you like your kids having perfect accent, you need to send them overseas starting S1 rather than waiting until Unversity. It is a bit diffcult to develope your accent after S1.

54#
發表於 09-12-2 23:12 |只看該作者
原帖由 appletree09 於 09-12-2 22:36 發表

If you like your kids having perfect accent, you need to send them overseas starting S1 rather than waiting until Unversity. It is a bit diffcult to develope your accent after S1.

Studying abroad only for Uni is unlikely to develop american/british accent, but they could still have good writing skills.  I have a few friends who went to overseas in junior high or upper high school could still pick up excellent british accent, but they are kind of ppl who have almost perfect pitch.

55#
發表於 09-12-2 23:14 |只看該作者
I would like to share the experience of my boy:

My son nearly 6 in K3, in estate kindergarten. We emphasis English during he grew up.

We borrow many books for him from public library and sometimes bring him to library on Sat or Sun.

He likes reading, especaillly the books about Dinosaurs, and can memorise those long names, even those books not for his age, he will not afraid to read
(maybe only the photos and heading).

All in all, he likes English very much, even he choose interview in English (we know he only speak fairly).

Even we listen Radio, he will ask to change to English Radio.

And he can read (maybe 80%) of a P.4 English Text book (Step up English), and do the C4Cat internet word games.

We believe It all depends the environment for the children, no matter he will be in Chinese or English primary school.

[ 本帖最後由 bowling68 於 09-12-3 12:24 編輯 ]

56#
發表於 09-12-3 14:32 |只看該作者
原帖由 bowling68 於 09-12-2 23:14 發表
I would like to share the experience of my boy:

My son nearly 6 in K3, in estate kindergarten. We emphasis English during he grew up.

We borrow many books for him from public library and sometimes b ...

Good for you.

When the children are small, there is not so much influence from their classmates.  But when they go to primary school, they start talking to their classmates on the phone, and spend more time with them at school.  So the environment would be quite different.

57#
發表於 09-12-3 14:40 |只看該作者
原帖由 daisy17772 於 09-12-2 20:59 發表

I met those ppl returning from abroad.  Because if those overseas students stay only with ppl from HK, they are unlikely to pick up good English.  But HK uni graduates having poor speaking English i ...

I also have a story to share.

There was this guy from HK who went to university in Canada.  He majored in Engineering, and has finished all the other courses, except one, that he needed to graduate.  The only course he needed was English.

He paid someone to write English essays for him for all the assignments.  But he had to go in person for the finals, and he failed the finals.  So he had to stay in Canada for another year just for one English course.  The second time round, he paid someone to write his assignments as well.  When it came to the finals, he's lucky to be given several topics to prepare at home.  So he got one written up, recited the whole assay, and dictated it for the finals.  He should be really grateful for his good memory.

58#
發表於 09-12-3 19:22 |只看該作者
不過,同國籍學校不同,很多英小都係由返中國(老師)人教,其實,她們的發音和文法同NET差很遠。如果,讀國際學校,又學不好中文

真係難搞!
‹ 上一主題|下一主題