用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 Would you keep your son back one year to go to CIS?
查看: 3796|回覆: 40
go

Would you keep your son back one year to go to CIS? [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 09-12-1 22:27 |只看該作者 |倒序瀏覽 |打印
My son is happy at KCIS, and so am I.
However, CIS's reception application process and interviews are going on. We are going next week, but I am really hesitant about making all the arrangements to go to the interview with my son.

Because I know if CIS DOES offer, my son has to repeat Reception year because he's a "small" boy born in November.

Would you do it just to get into CIS?

I can't make up my mind.
   0    0    0    0

2#
發表於 09-12-1 22:46 |只看該作者
If he's happy at KCIS, what is the reason for switching?  For the reputation of CIS?

原帖由 Pianokc 於 09-12-1 22:27 發表
However, CIS's reception application process and interviews are going on. We are going next week, but I am really hesitant about making all the arrangements to go ...

3#
發表於 09-12-2 08:29 |只看該作者
To me, my girl was small 2004 Dec girl. I have thought about similar situation years ago. I also liked CIS but because the cutoff period is 30 June 2009, if I want my girl to study there, she has to repeat. I don't think that is good. So we eventualy not even apply. She is now with another relatively good IS with a balance of Mandarin and English, though its reputation is not as brilliant as CIS. I will consider to apply CIS when she turns to secondary school.

So the critical question, how do you compare KCIS and CIS. Just my personal opinion, the status of CIS is far more prestigious (in term of track records of academic results and other awards) than KCIS. I heard that when children at upper secondary stage, some famous universities will come and pick good students. It is a real and famous international school in Hong Kong.

If I am you, I will definitely try the best efforts and see the results first.

However, CIS's reception application process and interviews are going on. We are going next week, but I am really hesitant about making all the arrangements to go ...

4#
發表於 09-12-2 10:27 |只看該作者

As an on-looker, it is a very simple decision. If YOU like CIS more than KCIS, Go. If not, STAY.
Children know nothing reason behind the change. If he is happy in KCIS, he can be happy in CIS.

5#
發表於 09-12-2 10:31 |只看該作者
hi Pianokc,

好高興又遇到你!建議你先讓兒子參與CIS面試,籍此期間再好好比較兩所學校,看看那裏更適合兒子各方面的發展,再作決定。

如果你兒子現時學術方面完全無問題,甚至覺得太簡單,重讀未必係好的選擇。

你女兒有沒有申請CIS?

如果你的小朋友真係要離開 KCIS,我會唔捨得你吔!

[ 本帖最後由 Yau_Cheung 於 09-12-2 10:32 編輯 ]

6#
發表於 09-12-2 10:50 |只看該作者
me too, because of this reason, so no CIS right now

7#
發表於 09-12-2 12:44 |只看該作者
I want to consider CIS because a number of reasons:

1) Reception year is the best chance I have got to get my son in there. My daughter has been on waiting list for primary for 2 years, and yet, not even have a chance to interview because there are so little spaces once you get into Primary, unless someone leaves the school, and then one or two spaces, the corporate packages get these seats with priority, or those with siblings.

2) I like CIS' reputation, the name and fame, the facilities especially, KCIS is good school, but doesn't have the facilities that I really wish my kids can enjoy. But on the other hand, I really have to watch how the "atmosphere" of the rich and famous.... will affect my kids, don't want my kids spoiled, and always talking about "money" oriented things, or showing off.
But that's something I know I can and will try to teach and guide through my family's morals and values.

3) My son is small son, doing well, but of course, has a siginificant disadvantage compare to those kids in his class that are almost older by 1 year. Physically, emotionally, and motor skills.... reading, writing.... everything, if he goes to CIS and is repeating Reception.... I am asking myself, is it going to be a "waste" of a year?

Will probably go ahead with the whole process since we are given the chance and opportunity already, if we are fortunate enough to get offered, then I will think about it I guess. For now, just try right? Doesn't hurt.

Yau Cheung- thanks for your kind words. Will keep in touch. My daughter is still in KCIS, and will have to see how my son perform at the interview, and how my husband and I do during the parents' interview !

Wish me luck!

8#
發表於 09-12-2 14:55 |只看該作者
CIS is a great school, but i don't want to let my daughter waste one year for this reason. this period you can see the big difference of a big boy and a small boy, but for primary kids, not big difference.

[ 本帖最後由 steamball 於 09-12-2 14:57 編輯 ]

9#
發表於 09-12-2 15:31 |只看該作者
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

10#
發表於 09-12-2 18:48 |只看該作者
Agree totally with Avatar.  My son is an April boy, so I don't have this consideration.  

Honestly though, if my son is a "small boy" (say, like born in Nov - Dec), regardless of the school I'll pick (be it CIS, KCIS or whatever school it may be), I'll definitely let him start schooling a year later.  Note here I'm not talking about deferring for a good school, but to start nursery a year later.  10 - 11 months of age difference may not matter for adults.  But for babies, it does matter, not only on fronts like self-confidence, cognitive developments, etc. that Avatar mentioned, but also it impacts upon the opportunities available to your kid.  Read Malcolm Gladwell's book "Outliers" and you will understand what I'm trying to say.  

原帖由 Avatar 於 09-12-2 15:31 發表
多讀一年而能由細仔變大仔是不會"浪費"的,好處多得很,例如能建立自信、鞏固學習基礎等,那些有親身經驗的父母便能領略到其長遠的益處。更何況若是能由 KCIS 轉到 CIS, 跟本完全無需考慮。

又何需急於讓孩子提早畢業呢?

11#
發表於 09-12-3 02:14 |只看該作者
Thanks everyone for your opinions.

Just curious, what is "wrong" with KCIS in most parents' minds? Why is it NOT comparable to other IS with reputations such as CIS and HKIS ...etc.

(Except for facilities.... I like to know what is the overall impression of KCIS in others)

Thanks.

12#
發表於 09-12-3 10:05 |只看該作者
I think there is nothing wrong with KCIS.  Just that you wish to compare KCIS and CIS, then, CIS is definitely a more favourable choice in terms of academic standard, English training and everything.   

In overall, I understand that the English training in KCIS is comparatively weaker than IS like CIS, GSIS or even ESF.

原帖由 Pianokc 於 09-12-3 02:14 發表
Thanks everyone for your opinions.

Just curious, what is "wrong" with KCIS in most parents' minds? Why is it NOT comparable to other IS with reputations such as CIS and HKIS ...etc.

(Except for fac ...

13#
發表於 09-12-3 13:30 |只看該作者

回覆 10# Ann0805 的文章

I also agree with Avatar. I also think repeating one year does not necessarily mean 'wasting' one year, especially if CIS's standard is higher then KCIS (I know nothing about these 2 school, just hearsay).
I switched my son from one IS to another when he was in Year 3. There was nothing wrong with the previous IS, my son was happy and we were happy. We had to switch school for him just becos we had to move from N.T. to Island side.
Fortunately, my son got accepted by a renowned good IS in Island side. Now he has been studying in this new IS for almost 2 years. He's very happy and he loves this school more than the previous one. So do us. We can tell there's a difference between the 2 schools. The current one is better although the previous one is not bad too.
Me and my husband are very glad that we made the decision for this change.
My son thank me for it.

So, don't give up without even trying, if you think CIS is a good choice!  

Ruby

14#
發表於 09-12-3 14:07 |只看該作者
CIS 是成立較早及有多屆畢業生記錄,但可否說明 "Compare KCIS and CIS, CIS is definitely a more favourable choice in terms of academic standard, English training and everything" 及 "KCIS is comparatively weaker than CIS, GSIS or ESF" 的具體例子?

原帖由 Ann0805 於 09-12-3 10:05 發表
I think there is nothing wrong with KCIS.  Just that you wish to compare KCIS and CIS, then, CIS is definitely a more favourable choice in terms of academic standard, English training and everything.  ...

15#
發表於 09-12-3 14:14 |只看該作者
衷心希望各位家長在bk的意見為客觀事實而非以訛傳訛。

16#
發表於 09-12-3 14:20 |只看該作者

17#
發表於 09-12-3 14:47 |只看該作者
Back to the orginal topic..
It depends if you have concern on delay for one year. If you are not, I strongly recommended you to delay for one year. Therewill have less pressure on you child and yourselves for the coming 6-9 years before your child can catch up with others.  Even for a smart one, the IQ is OK but the EQ is still one year behind others. i.e. emotion control, finish the project/homework by him/herself, concentrate in the classroom, leadership in the classroom ...etc.
原帖由 Avatar 於 09-12-3 14:20 發表
可將KCIS公報的GCSE成績與其他國際學校比較作為參考。 將來怎樣無人能說,但目前以有的客觀數據 (註:只代表中學成績) 的確如是,而並非以訛傳訛。

[ 本帖最後由 InitialD 於 09-12-3 14:48 編輯 ]

18#
發表於 09-12-3 14:56 |只看該作者
我給你的 post 只是問題, 請勿對號入座。

KCIS 有多少屆成積?其他學校又有多少屆成積?用KCIS 1or 2屆成積去比較是否洽當?其他學校成立初期第1 or 2屆成積又怎樣?個別學校成積每屆亦有高低,可否因為1 or 2屆稍差就 comment 為 "comparatively weaker than other IS" & "less favourable choice in terms of academic standard, English training and EVERYTHING" ?

原帖由 Avatar 於 09-12-3 14:20 發表
可將KCIS公報的GCSE成績與其他國際學校比較作為參考。 將來怎樣無人能說,但目前以有的客觀數據 (註:只代表中學成績) 的確如是,而並非以訛傳訛。

[ 本帖最後由 Yau_Cheung 於 09-12-3 15:06 編輯 ]

19#
發表於 09-12-3 15:02 |只看該作者
完全同意。其實重點可能係再讀一年reception 對小朋友的影响 (好處多於壞處 / 壞處多於好處??)。

原帖由 InitialD 於 09-12-3 14:47 發表
Back to the orginal topic..
It depends if you have concern on delay for one year. If you are not, I strongly recommended you to delay for one year. Therewill have less pressure on you child and yourse ...

20#
發表於 09-12-3 15:41 |只看該作者
‹ 上一主題|下一主題