用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 Yew Chung going bankrupt- rumour or truth?
查看: 4525|回覆: 20
go

Yew Chung going bankrupt- rumour or truth?

發表於 09-9-1 13:39 |顯示全部帖子
Anyone else heard of this? A student of mine told me that they read in the newspaper, Yew Chung international are going bankrupt, so closing the schools in the future....

發表於 09-9-1 15:33 |顯示全部帖子
I read a related article in Appledaily on Sunday.
http://hk.apple.nextmedia.com/template/apple/art_main.php?iss_id=20090830&sec_id=4104&art_id=13154154

原帖由 Pianokc 於 09-9-1 13:39 發表
Anyone else heard of this? A student of mine told me that they read in the newspaper, Yew Chung international are going bankrupt, so closing the schools in the future....

發表於 09-9-2 11:44 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 Pianokc 於 09-9-1 13:39 發表

I don't give equal weight to everyone and am good at ignoring the ought-to-be-ignored.  But as you are (or claim to be) a teacher, now that I'm concerned. Tell me, what should a decent teacher do when being told a rumour:

(a) big mouth it in a public forum,
(b) do her homework and find out the truth, or
(c) ignore the rumour and keep her mouth shut.

I won't call a teacher who goes down path (a) a decent teacher.

Back to the topic, anyone who knows ABC of accounting knows that the article in AppleDaily, which tells you nothing about liquidity, is sheer nonsense.

I am not related to YC and knows nothing about its financial condition.  BTW, your posts tell more about you than the article in AppleDaily can tell about YC's finance).

[ 本帖最後由 iamfine 於 09-9-2 11:48 編輯 ]

發表於 09-9-2 12:32 |顯示全部帖子
to "iamfine",

I won't do any personal attacks here as that 's what being a "decent teacher" is about.

However, this has been a rumour for a while, and now that it's been presented in an article in a newspaper, whether you respect the newspaper or not is another issue, but since there is written article about the "numbers" in Yew Chung's finance, well, why am I not allowed to find out more ? Especially from parents and students who might know more about it?

I am not slandering YC, or creating any rumour about it. I am simply posting a question, and looking for more information. This is precisely what THIS forum is about isn't it?

I have students at YC, and they are concerned as well because what they hear from YC is something different from what we read and hear right now.

Your response is totally uncalled for. If you have no information about it, then why did you reply?

原帖由 iamfine 於 09-9-2 11:44 發表

I don't give equal weight to everyone and am good at ignoring the ought-to-be-ignored.  But as you are (or claim to be) a teacher, now that I'm concerned. Tell me, what should a decent teacher do wh ...

[ 本帖最後由 Pianokc 於 09-9-2 12:38 編輯 ]

發表於 09-9-2 13:07 |顯示全部帖子

Let's get to the practical point.

According to Apple Daily, the school(s) is a good sourse of income for Ms Chan and her family. So do you think they would close the school(s) down.

I am in no way related to YC at all. Parents are of course welcome to discuss and ask questions about any school. But parents should try to ask sensible questions.

發表於 09-9-2 13:14 |顯示全部帖子
well, then it's great to hear that YC is going to succeed in maintaining all the campuses, students, and teachers, and the facilities.

So the "truth" is, YC isn't in debt, actually making lots of money, but just transferred to a huge source of income for the "family.

However, I do want to ask almom, you mean just because one WANTS to continue to makes lots of money, one would be able to continue to do so despite the huge debt in a certain "business"?

It's one thing to "want", but whether it can continue to happen is another.
YC is a huge business, I wouldn't be surprised at all if there was trouble with the finances because they keep opening more campuses, but number of students have been decreasing.

發表於 09-9-2 13:18 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 Pianokc 於 09-9-2 13:14 發表
well, then it's great to hear that YC is going to succeed in maintaining all the campuses, students, and teachers, and the facilities.

So the "truth" is, YC isn't in debt, actually making lots of mo ...

Sorry, I did not read the whole of your message.

What I said was just speculations. I was trying to brainstorm the possible futures of YC. I have never said I know any "truth". And since I am in no way related to YC, may be I would just keep my hands off.

If you want the truth, may be you should ask the school directly.

Good luck.

[ 本帖最後由 almom 於 09-9-2 13:24 編輯 ]

發表於 09-9-2 13:47 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 Pianokc 於 09-9-2 12:32 發表
to "iamfine",

I won't do any personal attacks here as that 's what being a "decent teacher" is about.

However, this has been a rumour for a while, and now that it's been presented in an article in a ...

My points are:

(1) You are participating in the spread of a rumour;

(2) The article in AppleDaily does not tell us a thing about YC's finace.  It's not rocket science but something that anyone with post-secondary education should be able to understand.

發表於 09-9-2 14:09 |顯示全部帖子
to "iamfine"

I don't understand why I am participating in "spreading the rumour" ? I just posted a question regarding a "topic" that isn't a secret. It is a featured in a newspaper, it's being discussed among the students, and parents, and teachers, and Int'l school circle.

Sorry, I didn't read the article you are talking about as I am not a literate in Chinese.
I was informed there was a newspaper article about it, and hence asking for more information.

You might want to consider using "kinder" choice of words when posting in a forum. It's a forum for education and schools, (this one)... not necessary to be hostile about it.

原帖由 iamfine 於 09-9-2 13:47 發表

My points are:

(1) You are participating in the spread of a rumour;

(2) The article in AppleDaily does not tell us a thing about YC's finace.  It's not rocket science but something that anyone wit ...

[ 本帖最後由 Pianokc 於 09-9-2 14:10 編輯 ]

發表於 09-9-2 14:18 |顯示全部帖子
I overheard that pianokc is x$5*/@ - rumour or truth?

I hope I'm not asking too much, but try to be a little considerate and think about the impact that may have on the parents/students/staff of YC.

It's not your English that concerns me (perhaps I should, given that you are a teacher), it's your attitude.

發表於 09-9-2 15:16 |顯示全部帖子
Someone who cannot tell the diference between a "followup question" and " making up a rumour" shouldn't be speaking with your tone of voice.
I certainly did not post here to be attacked by you.

But since you gave an example, I will as well. If a newspaper had an article about pianokc being @$&*, then I think. It would be fine for you to ask this question.
My question is as valid as when Gsis was rumoured to move to ma on shan, but not confirmed, everyone was worried too. People asked many times in here whether true or not, until Gsis announced it officially. At the end, it's great it didnt happen.

Doesn't matter, I won't waste my time anymore, goodness, my kids aren't at YC. I was just worried about my students at YC.

發表於 09-9-2 15:43 |顯示全部帖子
Bad luck!  I happen to know GSIS well.  GSIS (by the way, do you know which sections of GSIS you are talking about?  I bet $10 you don't) was NOT rumoured to move to MOS.  There were circulars sent to parents, meetings held and polls taken.  If you do not know, please don't start another rumour.

發表於 09-9-2 15:55 |顯示全部帖子
HAHAHA.  My dear your know who you are. You make my day. It is truly funny. I did not realise there are still people who love to pretend to be Chinese-illiterate.

王國長老

發表於 09-9-2 17:07 |顯示全部帖子
任何人都有權發問, 如果覺得問題無聊可以不答, 如果覺得有誤解可以解釋.  並不存在散播謠言的指控, 會員有他們的自由去發問, 請勿陰謀論.

發表人身攻擊字眼是違規的, 如果會員不會尊重別人, 版主會覺得遺憾和介入作出適當處理.

版主
edea

發表於 09-9-2 19:42 |顯示全部帖子
Although I don't see why I owe any explanation, just curious, why would anyone want to pretend to be chinese-illiterate? It's my ultimate goal in moving to Hong Kong to live, is to get my kids'chinese foundation laid out before they leave for overseas. Not to be like me. I can read some words, but cannot write most words.

I would LOVE to be able to read and write the all the chinese characaters in the newspaper. It's the reason I am not able to help my child in local kindy, so hence I moved them to int'l schools.

I am sorry you have such reactions towards my question, it's sad to read your posts that there are parents with such words.

I give up, when you talk about Gsis, it's absolutely unbelievable. I have no idea what you are talking about, as my students from GSIS and I was personally there for assessment with my daughter, the admissions office told me this whole story.

if you go a seach on GSIS in this forum:

http://forum.edu-kingdom.com/viewthread.php?tid=2115097

and many more...

Perhaps you don't understand what "rumour"means ? I am not here to start any rumours, purely speaking my mind, like what everyone is entitled to in this forum.
(but without personal attacks).

原帖由 iamfine 於 09-9-2 15:55 發表
HAHAHA.  My dear your know who you are. You make my day. It is truly funny. I did not realise there are still people who love to pretend to be Chinese-illiterate.

[ 本帖最後由 Pianokc 於 09-9-2 21:29 編輯 ]

發表於 09-9-2 21:59 |顯示全部帖子
Fine.  Illiterate in Chinese = can read some but cannot write some; deficit in the book = going bankrupt and closing down the school; decanting = moving; Ma On Shan = Wanchai.  Good that I cannot understand you.

Do your homework, brush up your English and learn some basic accounting.

I feel gutted not because of you, but because of you as a teacher.  I have a secondary school teacher and a university lecturer in my immediate family.  I rate the teaching profession very highly (they deserve more respect than lawyers and accountants) and cannot put up with lesser teachers.  If your students tell you something next time, don't take their words.  They are kids.  Do you part and verily the facts.

[ 本帖最後由 iamfine 於 09-9-2 22:11 編輯 ]

發表於 09-9-2 22:19 |顯示全部帖子
By the way, as a matter of fact GSIS is NOT going to use the decanting site in Ma On Shan.  They will take over the site in Wanchai when SIS moves out of it.

Taking what you read in a forum like this for granted is bad.  Repeating it is even worse.

發表於 09-9-2 22:54 |顯示全部帖子
原帖由 edea 於 09-9-2 17:07 發表
任何人都有權發問, 如果覺得問題無聊可以不答, 如果覺得有誤解可以解釋.  並不存在散播謠言的指控, 會員有他們的自由去發問, 請勿陰謀論.

發表人身攻擊字眼是違規的, 如果會員不會尊重別人, 版主會覺得遺憾和介入作 ...

You have all my respect as the moderator of this forum and I think you are doing a good job.

A few things to clarify:

(1) Is it OK to blackmouth (expressly or by innuendo) a school based on something one heard from an unverified source?  

(2) Should wrong or misleading information be allowed to remain in this forum?

(3) Is the way someone speaks more important to what he or she says?

(4) Is this forum an exception to the time-honoured wisdom that opinion is opinion is cheap?  Are we allowed to say whatever we like to say as long as we keep pretending that we are merely stating our opinion?

I know the job of a moderator is not an uneasy one (especially with problem guy like me).  Feel free not to answer my questions.  Good night.

[ 本帖最後由 iamfine 於 09-9-2 23:03 編輯 ]

發表於 09-9-2 23:41 |顯示全部帖子
I think you are way over the line. Do not drag in my "teaching" profession in here to criticize. You have no right.

I am not sure who is the one who cannot read here.

I told you the GSIS admission office informed me that originally they were proposed to move to Ma On Shan.... but now will not because of all the parents, and students and voiced out opinions.

Hello ? Where are you getting your interpretations?

I was saying that GSIS had this rumour, and had alot of parents concerned,including ones on this forum, and then at the end it didn't happen. Can you read carefully before you start blasting others?

I am a teacher, so ? I still don't see your point, why am I accused of bad mouthing YC when I am simply asking about an article that was featured in a HK local newspaper? We are not allowed to discuss anything that is in local newspapers? Furthermore, I didn't ANNOUNCE this, I ASKED a question. So stop attacking my personal integrity and my profession as a teacher.

You have educators at home? Maybe you should have a talk with them about what you have written here?

I respect ALL professions, not just teachers. I don't see why teachers should get MORE respect than lawyers and accountants? Aren't you a little bias? Why do you have to say this? Just because you have family members as teachers?  

And parents who asked about GSIS's relocation temporarily were also "bad mouthing" then? Or as you call it, participating in spreading a rumour? I can't figure your logic.

What you asked our moderator.... how about "personal attacks" and "insulting" other members like yours? And THAT you think is ok to be here? Go figure how people have such double standards.

[ 本帖最後由 Pianokc 於 09-9-3 00:36 編輯 ]

發表於 09-9-2 23:46 |顯示全部帖子
BTW, everyone knows this already, why are you writing about it like you are the only one that just found out ?

原帖由 iamfine 於 09-9-2 22:19 發表
By the way, as a matter of fact GSIS is NOT going to use the decanting site in Ma On Shan.  They will take over the site in Wanchai when SIS moves out of it.

Taking what you read in a forum like this ...