密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 Thinking of Transferring from ESF to DGJS
查看: 9467|回覆: 24
go

Thinking of Transferring from ESF to DGJS [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 09-8-6 18:41 |只看該作者 |倒序瀏覽 |打印
I am seriously thinking of applying to DGJS for P1 this year.  I know it is tough, impossible or no Chinese background as some of the excuses, but does anyone here know any actual case that works, that is from ESF P1 then to DGJS P1?

[ 本帖最後由 Onsen 於 09-10-16 14:31 編輯 ]
   0    0    0    0

2#
發表於 09-8-7 12:51 |只看該作者
Onsen,

Have you considered other IS with stronger Chinese curriculum such as CIS, KCIS, ISF, or SIS?

ESF and DGJS are very different in teaching style.  It would be very difficult for your daughter to re-adjust.

But it wouldn't hurt applying.  After all, DGJS is a very good local school.

原帖由 Onsen 於 09-8-6 18:41 發表
I am really tire of teaching my daughter Chinese (together with Kumon).  If going on like this, she would not be proficient in Chinese language.  Therefore, I am seriously thinking of applying to DGJS ...

3#
發表於 09-8-7 13:39 |只看該作者
Onsen, do you have any realistic idea HOW HARD it is and how much preparation you need to get into DGJS (just for the interview) for P1?

DGJS is not a school you JUST apply.
CCKG is the kindergarten that people plan years to get in, and not all get in, and once you get in CCKG, your chance is higher.

Other schools that has better chances:
St Catherine's, Kentville, and Victoria.

Of course, you can try, but the interview is in Cantonese only, and conducted by the Mrs Dai, the principal.

Are you alumni of DGJS? You have a portfolio of 5 pages prepared? Does your daughter have any special talent or achievements up to this day? If your daughter has won any competitions, or is physically tall, or talented in speech, music, or sports, you have a higher chance.

You can always hire a tutor to teach her chinese, or send her to classes for Chinese tutoring.
Anyways, Putonghua is the path to go for the future, DGJS isn't going to give you what you need.

It's the top girl's school, but from ESF, and with your background, and intentions, it's not the right school for your child.

[ 本帖最後由 Pianokc 於 09-8-7 13:42 編輯 ]

4#
發表於 09-8-8 09:09 |只看該作者
Hi Onsen,

I see how you feel about Chinese. Why don't you consider Choi Kai Yau School? My child will change to Choi Kai Yau School from one of the ESF primary schools this coming September.

You can PM me. Maybe we can share more about our feelings towards Chinese teaching at home...

Minggrace

I am really tire of teaching my daughter Chinese (together with Kumon).  If going on like this, she would not be proficient in Chinese language.  Therefore, I am seriously thinking of applying to DGJS ...

5#
發表於 09-8-10 09:20 |只看該作者
Hi minggrace and Onsen,

Pls share more about the Chinese teaching in ESF. I understand that some of the ESF schools are offering Chinese lesson once a week and I expect students Chinese will be markedly improve....
My daughter is attending a local English school and planning to switch to ESF school this year. We passed the interview and are waiting for their calls once vacancies arise.

thanks in advance.

6#
發表於 09-8-10 13:06 |只看該作者

Hi Onsen,

The very basic problem you have now is, with getting into ESF, you should stop using Kumon as one of your tools to teach your kid. ESF emphasis on interactive learning, like most IS, while Kumon is a duck-stuffing class only. If you want your kid to be happy, should let him stay in ESF.

Change your kid back to DGJS is no use. You will be only much harder as you have so many other stuffs to take care at the same time in order to "compete" with other kids. Think twice yourselves. Do you and your kid really want life like this?

7#
發表於 09-8-10 16:27 |只看該作者
The choice between local and international (or the switching between them) should not be based on language issues.  If you decide to switch to a local elite school solely because of better Chinese learning, your child will end up losing more.

8#
發表於 09-8-10 23:51 |只看該作者
Hi All, I think you both have experience and understand about the International School...I want to apply P1 for my son, shall you advise me some more...
1) is IB program can enter into the University after they have finished P12?

2) Which IS is better in HK ? I just know ESF, but don't know the quality of their education level ?

3) is all IS school need to buy Debenture ?

Thanks your advise in advance.

9#
發表於 09-8-11 00:21 |只看該作者
原帖由 lo_bobo 於 09-8-10 23:51 發表
1) is IB program can enter into the University after they have finished P12?

2) Which IS is better in HK ? I just know ESF, but don't know the quality of their education level ?

3) is all IS school need to buy Debenture ?

1) Yes, but not all IS use IB. Some still use GCE or other syllabus

2) ESF is one of those, and among ESF still have good or not too good. Hard to tell, depends on what you want. And most importantly is when you want your kid to go study in IS, you want them to learn the creative mind, and the logic thinking. Not duck stuffing learning.

3). No, at least ESF no need to buy debenture.

10#
發表於 09-8-11 09:14 |只看該作者
Hi popolung,

Thanks for your information.  besides ESF, do you have any suggestion of IS that without debenture ? Actually I have no idea out of ESF.  And what is the standard of IB ? is this like A level, is depends on how many credit that you get ?

Thank you in advance

11#
發表於 09-8-12 01:38 |只看該作者
原帖由 lo_bobo 於 09-8-11 09:14 發表
Hi popolung,

Thanks for your information.  besides ESF, do you have any suggestion of IS that without debenture ? Actually I have no idea out of ESF.  And what is the standard of IB ? is this like A  ...

Unfortunately, besides ESF, good IS mostly need debentures, like GSIS, ISF, HKIS, ICS...... and most of these IS their school fees are much expensive than ESF.

I didn't rule out other like AIS, SIS, JIS, NIS, etc. Just I have no idea. Please check other threads.

12#
發表於 09-8-13 00:17 |只看該作者
Hi popolung,

Thanks for your info...it's useful for me.....

13#
發表於 09-8-13 18:00 |只看該作者
Thanks for all your replies.  My child has studied Kumon for several months now.  I agreed that their way of teaching is not the best way to teach a child a different language.  However, my child has already started reading many characters.  She has no problem in speaking fluent Mandarin or Cantonese.  It is just the reading and writing that really kill me.   I don't know how good DGJS is.  I heard that they teach their students to be independent, confident and study hard.  If this is indeed the case, then DGJS is for us.  I know it is extremely competitive to get in.  However, I do know that my child is really good in handling herself.  By the time of interview, she would be able to read and write simple English, some Chinese and well verse in English, Cantonese and Mandarin.   I am sure many of the parents here share my mixed feeling.  So far, her most famous graduate is Liao Sau Tung, a very successful one.  I look upon her as the role model for my child.

[ 本帖最後由 Onsen 於 09-10-16 14:33 編輯 ]

14#
發表於 09-8-13 19:10 |只看該作者
However, I do know that my child is really good in handling herself.  By the time of interview, she would be able to read and write simple English, some Chinese and well verse in English, Cantonese and Mandarin.  If this is not the type of student the DGJS wants, I don't know what they want.

I don't doubt your assessment of your child.  The problem is - there are only a hundred or so places for hundreds of similarly gifted children.

15#
發表於 09-8-13 19:13 |只看該作者
Are you native mandarin speaker?

For your information, DGJS will hold the interview in Cantonese. Excellent command in English and Mandarin would not help.

Anyway, to study in DGJS simply means that you have to worry about your girl in all aspects, not only Chinese, so that she can compete with others.

16#
發表於 09-8-13 19:49 |只看該作者
DGJS has a few thousands applications every year so it is not difficult to select 100 highly capable and confident girls who are also fluent in English, Mandarin, and Cantonese (and perhaps even a fourth/fifth language).

Not getting into DGJS is not a reflection of local school system.  It's just it's too competitive as it's "the target school" for most, of not all, parents who want to send their daughters to local schools.

If Chinese is the only probblem, there are other IS and DSS schools you can consider.  I would not discourage you to apply to DGJS but I would urge you to apply to other schools just in case.

Just my 2 cents.

17#
發表於 09-8-14 09:09 |只看該作者
Did you consider KCIS?

18#
發表於 09-8-14 12:59 |只看該作者
I am an alumni of DGJS. From your reply, I am sure now you have no idea what DGJS is all about.

Try to apply, and good luck to you.

What's more important, during this upcoming few months, talk to the present studentsa and parents of DGJS, think you will be get a much clearer picture. (The elite schools of HK's local system... not just DGJS, including Maryknoll, St Mary, St Paul CoEd, DBS, La Salle..... ).... there are those who get in by pure interview and entrance exams, but I know many who get in by connections...

Honestly, I think it applies to all schools in HK... there are those who will get in not because of their academics or accomplishments, just connections and past relationships... get accepted.

My point is, although your child may perform superbly in the interview, top grades, top accomplishments.... she still maybe rejected, not because it's your child's problem, but it's all about timing, and luck too.

Siblings of the present students also get priority.... so that's another factor you need to remember, and past alumni's daughters, and present teacher's circle of friends, family...

100 seats..... it's not many.

CCKG's girls of K3.... more than half get accepted... that's another bunch of seats already taken even before you go to the interview.

Just my opinion.

19#
發表於 09-8-31 12:36 |只看該作者
Thanks for your comment and suggestion.  My daughter just started the school.  The teacher of her class is probably the best I have ever seen, kind patient and gentle, much better than the one she got in the USA.  Just after 2 days of classes, she started reading the books she borrowed from the library.  This is amazing.  I have to wait until she needs to do the book report and present it to the class.  I am still holding that DGJS application form. The deadline is on September 10 so there is still a week to go.

[ 本帖最後由 Onsen 於 09-10-16 14:35 編輯 ]

20#
發表於 09-8-31 13:43 |只看該作者
I think one only need to worry AFTER the child has received formal acceptance from DGJS.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題