教育王國 討論區 國際學校 小學讀際小學,中學時轉回傳統中學
樓主: heiB
go

小學讀際小學,中學時轉回傳統中學 [複製鏈接]

41#
發表於 09-9-26 10:50 |只看該作者
小學讀際小學,中學時轉回傳統中學

Practically, yes.
If we are merely talking about the Chinese curriculum, then there is a way out.
A lot of secondary schools offer French as an alternative language to Chinese.
Regarding other subjects, it is hard to say.
Everyone is different.
Switching school is itself a challenging task. Even if you are switching from local to local, or IS to IS, you are probably expecting some bumps. No 2 schools are exactly that similar and there are the peer relation thing to consider as well. Some children hate to be taken away from their buddies in the previous school.
Lots of things to consider.

42#
發表於 09-9-26 11:20 |只看該作者
how could university distingush good student from normal student? I don't have an answer.

but I know the answer about all-A studnents, some of them are just exam machine, i saw many of such in my univeristy days. they were boring people. they can't have any fun discussion with the guest in high-table dinner.

getting all A should not be the purpose of education. nurturing a child is more than that.

[ 本帖最後由 mattsmum 於 09-9-26 11:25 編輯 ]

43#
發表於 09-9-27 09:03 |只看該作者
moved to other topic

[ 本帖最後由 mattsmum 於 09-9-27 09:40 編輯 ]

44#
發表於 09-9-27 10:17 |只看該作者
WYmom,couldn't agree with you more! 我睇住我d親戚,佢地入is嘅目的係唔想同仔女做功課!所以學術上佢地係唔會理,家長唔鼓勵,又唔係屋企提供環境因素,個小朋友點會想睇中文?我一見到呢d家長,諗住自己舒服d,我就ar哂頭.個阿媽自己做政府工,覺得好正,所以想d細路將來都係,但佢又知道考政府工中文一定要得,佢都知自己細路d中文唔掂.

想問下,你嘅小朋友中文可以理解到物野書呢?我有考慮申請ESF,我覺得數學behind LS唔緊要,最緊要睇小朋友取向,又唔係要做數學家或讀理科就冇物所謂,如果佢有興趣呢方面就自然會比多d effort,我讀完calculus,而家都唔記得哂啦,工作上亦都冇用,所以我又唔係好insist一定要所以academics都要match with ls,除非想留條後路轉返出來.但中文係大勢,我驚單靠係屋企推動唔夠.

45#
發表於 09-9-27 10:27 |只看該作者
Baba Ted, I think a different way of teaching, a new environment, etc. can really bring the child around. If a child knows he is known as the bottom of the class, he may not have much motivation to improve vs. in a new school, he starts afresh.  anyway, i believe there are many factors.

I didn't go to school in the UK.  I was in the US.  Their level of math is really easier when I started.  Here's is my math schedule:

F2 Algebra 1
F3 Geometry
F4 Algebra 2
F5 Trigonometry
F6 Calculus

For one whole year, I only did one aspect of math.  I don't know if I have caught up with the HK curriculum by F6, but we did cover all aspects by the time I graduated.

As for university admission, truly TOP US universities do not take school grades alone into account. Usually there is an interview, an essay, the SAT of course (which a lot of Chinese will have a hard time with the English part), community work and extra curriculum activities.  In effect, top US universities are looking for well-rounded individuals who also excel academically, capable of independent thinking and problem solving - traits which, I am afraid, LS will find hard to offer as LS often emphasize on 聽話,乖,etc.

46#
發表於 09-9-27 13:14 |只看該作者
我覺得數學behind LS唔緊要,

I do not think they are exactly behind local school.
I think they are learning math at a totally different approach.

47#
發表於 09-9-27 16:33 |只看該作者
但無可否認,好多時international math level做親比較, 亞洲國家 - 特別係用傳統方法教授 - 係呢d比賽通常都係呢類學生勝出, 幾時聽過有人話歐美d數比亞洲人d數好?  我唔係expert, 亦冇做過物野detail 研究, 但係我相信呢d真係the results speak for themselves.

我唔知外國教數學可以有幾唔同, 都係上堂, 老師教, 上堂做下練習, 返屋企做下功課, 最多編排課程嘅先後唔同.

48#
發表於 09-9-27 18:09 |只看該作者
原帖由 elmostoney 於 09-9-27 16:33 發表
但無可否認,好多時international math level做親比較, 亞洲國家 - 特別係用傳統方法教授 - 係呢d比賽通常都係呢類學生勝出, 幾時聽過有人話歐美d數比亞洲人d數好?  我唔係expert, 亦冇做過物野detail 研究, 但係我相 ...

I was not talking about the person, but the curriculum.
My point was, western math curriculum is not BEHIND local math curriculum.

49#
發表於 09-9-27 19:54 |只看該作者
但無可否認,好多時international math level做親比較, 亞洲國家 - 特別係用傳統方法教授 - 係呢d比賽通常都係呢類學生勝出, 幾時聽過有人話歐美d數比亞洲人d數好?  我唔係expert, 亦冇做過物野detail 研究, 但係我相 ...

The way of teaching in IS on Maths, English, Science, History, Geography etc. is very different from local schools.  They teach the concept much more clearly.  They require students to explain maths in texts.  Please don't draw conclusion to standards without thorough understandings.

This is not a topic of local schools vs IS.  They are very different types of schools, parents should understand more first before choosing rather than switching back and forward.

50#
發表於 09-9-28 09:46 |只看該作者
i guess I myself qualified as a person who went to what we call international schools here in HK as I studied in a US school - in fact, a school made up with 90% caucasian in a middle class neighborhood (engineers, doctors, etc.) My math was just very average in HK, and it zoomed to all As once there.  I don't think the way math was presented was very different.  When I first got there, the math was just...simpler, although it did get tougher in the higher levels (last 2 years).  Even with the last 2 years, I still scored very well on SAT for the math part.

My school was a relatively good school with the good students (all schools have more achieved and less achieved kids) going to good universities.  As I myself went through the system (instead of witnessing it second hand through my kids), I truly believe what I said have grounds.  

Having said that, because of my own experience between hong kong mainstream schools and what we choose to call international schools in HK, I prefer to send my kids to international schools as I don't believe high level of academics is everything in life.

[ 本帖最後由 elmostoney 於 09-9-28 09:51 編輯 ]

51#
發表於 09-9-28 10:03 |只看該作者
原帖由 elmostoney 於 09-9-28 09:46 發表
i guess I myself qualified as a person who went to what we call international schools here in HK as I studied in a US school - in fact, a school made up with 90% caucasian in a middle class neighborho ...

What I have experienced with my kids are quite different from US or Canadian schools (I also have experienced with that in Canada), in HK ESF they use UK cirriculum and IB PYP now.  I think different IS use different system and methods.  SIS uses Singaporean method, which is also different from US and UK methods.  

Besides, as I have said before, there is age difference between local, Singapore, UK and US/ Canadian system, UK's Y1/Y6 = other countries'  K3/ P.5, so it is not correct to compare ESF Y1-Y11 to other schools' P1-F.5.  

UK GCSE is taken by their Y11 students (age 15), which equals to F.4 level in HK / US/ Canada/ Singapore, so people always said that HKCEE is more difficult, standard is higher... no one really recognize or admit that in fact in the past, HK students study 3 years of kinder, 6 years of primary and 7 years of secondary, 3 to 4 years of universities, so naturally they should attain a higher standard than all others!!

In future, the HK students will be taking the new secondary diploma and no more HKAL.  The results will be different from the past.

[ 本帖最後由 WYmom 於 09-9-28 10:48 編輯 ]

52#
發表於 09-9-28 13:03 |只看該作者
"幾時聽過有人話歐美d數比亞洲人d數好?  " - 數學家歐美應該較亞洲多。

[ 本帖最後由 Yau_Cheung 於 09-9-28 13:04 編輯 ]

53#
發表於 09-9-28 13:33 |只看該作者

回覆 51# WYmom 的文章

係咪真係咁呢?如果祇計年齡,HKU學士咪=UK master?

54#
發表於 09-9-28 13:39 |只看該作者
原帖由 elmostoney 於 09-9-28 09:46 發表
i guess I myself qualified as a person who went to what we call international schools here in HK as I studied in a US school - in fact, a school made up with 90% caucasian in a middle class neighborho ...

I have lived in Canada and the US. And I have a total different experience. May be it was just me? But the way they taught math was definitely very different from the Hong Kong way.

I do not think the "fast" and "ambitious" curriculum in local school is that beneficial. Most student do not understand what they are doing. They are just doing their calculations mechanically. I am sure many people are simply looking for quick return, but I would rather my children have good and solic foundation before moving on. Unfortunately, local curriculum cannot provide the solid foundation I expect.

[ 本帖最後由 almom 於 09-9-28 14:40 編輯 ]

55#
發表於 09-9-28 13:47 |只看該作者
唔祇數學家,mud家中國都比欧美少,中國績弱數百年,咁又点培養什麽家?不過古時數學應該亞洲人好啲,阿拉伯數字印度人發明,畢氏定理中國早千多年發現,易經有道:鈎三股四其絃即五也。

原帖由 Yau_Cheung 於 09-9-28 13:03 發表
"幾時聽過有人話歐美d數比亞洲人d數好?  " - 數學家歐美應該較亞洲多。

56#
發表於 09-9-29 10:43 |只看該作者
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

57#
發表於 09-9-29 10:48 |只看該作者

58#
發表於 09-9-29 13:23 |只看該作者
Although local Hong Kong students are 1 year older than IS students when they enter university, they have received education for exactly the same number of years, NOT more.
Local students go through 6 years of primary & 7 years of secondary education making a total of 13 years before entering university.
IS students enter university after Year 13 - also receiving 13 years of education.
Therefore HKCEE & UK GCSE should be viewed as the same level, NOT 1 year higher.
Of course, things will be different in the future with the new 334 system.

59#
發表於 09-9-29 13:57 |只看該作者

60#
發表於 09-9-29 15:24 |只看該作者
原帖由 mow-mow 於 09-9-29 13:23 發表
Although local Hong Kong students are 1 year older than IS students when they enter university, they have received education for exactly the same number of years, NOT more.
Local students go through 6 ...

Haha, can't understand why you still don't understand?  If all kids start school at 3 years old, why HK students enter U one year later than UK, US or Canadian students?   They are not just older, they study one more year than others !!  So HKCEE is really one year higher than GCSE.  
In future, the new HK Diploma's level should equal to GCSE AL!!
Simple Maths!!

[ 本帖最後由 WYmom 於 09-9-29 15:33 編輯 ]
‹ 上一主題|下一主題