發表於 09-7-22 11:07 |只看該作者
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

22#
發表於 09-7-22 11:09 |只看該作者

23#
發表於 09-7-22 11:32 |只看該作者

回覆 2# thankful 的文章

我有這個題問,不是因為經濟問題.只是我朋友的孩子現讀國際學校小學,想中學轉回本地中學.只是問問有沒有人試過,並想從中了解可行性及遇到的因難.正如有媽咪講過,轉校真的要有周詳的考慮,所以在些問問.如各位媽咪有實際資料,請告知作參考.

24#
發表於 09-7-22 11:39 |只看該作者

25#
發表於 09-7-22 12:14 |只看該作者
你要勸下你個friend不要太多心, 轉來轉去不是一件好事, 要個11, 12歲己不再是小朋友的孩子去適應全新的教學模式,會很難溶入新的社交圈子, 小朋友中文能力真的好到可以應付到本地中學的中文科及中史嗎? 如不是, 這對小朋友打擊或自信會有好大的影響.  

雖然我的小朋友只是小學生, 有過同樣經驗,  真希望家長不要隨便幫小朋友轉去另一種教學模式. 對小朋友的傷害總會比你後悔來得快!

原帖由 heiB 於 09-7-22 11:32 發表
我有這個題問,不是因為經濟問題.只是我朋友的孩子現讀國際學校小學,想中學轉回本地中學.只是問問有沒有人試過,並想從中了解可行性及遇到的因難.正如有媽咪講過,轉校真的要有周詳的考慮,所以在些問問.如各位媽咪有實 ...

26#
發表於 09-7-22 13:57 |只看該作者
對不起想問問.你是不是有小朋友由國際小學轉回本地小學的經驗嗎?如方便的話,可否告知過中的困難?
原帖由 TINGMUM 於 09-7-22 12:14 發表
你要勸下你個friend不要太多心, 轉來轉去不是一件好事, 要個11, 12歲己不再是小朋友的孩子去適應全新的教學模式,會很難溶入新的社交圈子, 小朋友中文能力真的好到可以應付到本地中學的中文科及中史嗎? 如不是, 這對 ...

27#
發表於 09-7-22 20:05 |只看該作者

28#
發表於 09-7-24 10:25 |只看該作者

29#
發表於 09-7-24 10:57 |只看該作者
原帖由 Reximom 於 09-7-24 10:25 發表

Your argument is totally illogical.
You were merely trying to find ways out to explain why local students are easier to fit into IS while IS students have more difficulties to fit into local schools ...

30#
發表於 09-9-6 13:51 |只看該作者
My son studied at SIS from PY1 to P6. Then promoted to local school Ti-i, and he is studying F.3.

Difficulties:
1. As SIS's Chinese standard is quite high, the problems are about simplified --> traditional writing, and lack of Chinese vocab.
He failed in Chinese at the first term at F.1, and then all are passed afterwards.
2. Adapt to Culture, it depends on personality. A lot of changes in the school cultuer, facilities and peers background. He spent about half term to adapt.
3. Maths - SIS's Math is complicated but the quantity is less than local school. So, we spent time to speed up his calculation.

The main reason for my son to switch to local school is "he likes drawing, art and design". And Ti-i established a good environment and spent a lot of resources in the art development. So, he wished to apply this school when he was P.4.

I always believe my son is lucky and his educational path is easy. Not much workload, but good languagues (Mandarin & English) developed in primary school. Low workload in the secondary school. When everyone busy in picking up English(Hist, Geog, Art, Liberal Studies), he only spent time in picking up Chinese.

Finally, he enjoys his study life at the current school.

Yes, personality is the main issue for a child switch the educational stream.

31#
發表於 09-9-7 16:54 |只看該作者

回覆 1# chanms 的文章

chanms

Thanks for your information.  It is very useful.

32#
發表於 09-9-15 17:16 |只看該作者
I also know a kid switching from an IS to local school.  Far as I know, she had studied up to P3 at IS.  Don't know why the change.  But she's been doing great all along (great grades in HKCEE).
I'm not encouraging such a switch, but only telling you a case for ref.

33#
發表於 09-9-16 13:13 |只看該作者

回覆 1# papa_pop 的文章

Thanks.  The case is good for reference.

醒目開學勳章

34#
發表於 09-9-17 15:42 |只看該作者
delete delete..

[ 本帖最後由 Mimi_Ma 於 09-9-27 17:17 編輯 ]

35#
發表於 09-9-25 14:50 |只看該作者
chanms, how did you find SIS in general?

Other than a handful of IS which has strong emphasis on Chinese, I doubt IS students can transition into LS smoothly.  My neices go to ESF, studying in F.4.  Their Chinese is equivalent to LS P.5 or P.6 level - with a lot of 白字.  Math curriculum is equivalent to F2 of LS.

36#
發表於 09-9-25 15:17 |只看該作者
原帖由 elmostoney 於 09-9-25 14:50 發表
chanms, how did you find SIS in general?

Other than a handful of IS which has strong emphasis on Chinese, I doubt IS students can transition into LS smoothly.  My neices go to ESF, studying in F.4.   ...

Please note that:

1. ESF is running UK system, F.4 means Year 10 equals to F.3 in local school (ESF starts primary at age 5 and have 7 years of secondary school)

2. ESF classifies students into different levels of Chinese and Maths groups since primary according to their abilities,  Your niece's Chinese and Maths levels only reflect her own standard and definitely not representing all IS students.  The top Chinese group of ESF students are studying the same or higher level of Chinese books as their counterparts in local schools, i.e. Year 10 students (which equal to F.3 local students) learn F.4 Singaporean Chinese books.

3. As I have mentioned before, transition to local DSS is possible, I know some ESF students switched to local DSS due to lower school fees.  All depends on the capabilities of the students.

[ 本帖最後由 WYmom 於 09-9-25 15:22 編輯 ]

37#
發表於 09-9-25 22:23 |只看該作者
my nieces are in the advanced group already in all classification, whether math or chinese.  I do know they use singapore textbooks for chinese class.  they are above average students in their school.  I have also spent some time investigating their chinese and math curriculum as I am thinking about sending my kids to IS.  believe me , they already represent, if not the top 10% in school, at least the top 30% or so.  I have expressed a lot of interest in their learning as it has direct effect on my decision as to which school to apply.

I have 3 other nephews and niece who graduated from CIS.  2 graduated from the University of Chicago (one of the top 10 schools in the US) and the other one is studying law in the UK.  The father is crazy about education.  Everywhere he goes, he goes campus visiting at universities.  When his kids were still in secondary school, he would sent them to summer schools at Cambridge and the likes.  His daughter graduated as the top 2 or 5% from CIS that year(sorry, I don't remember).  She scored I don't remember how many A's on her UK中五會考,BUT even the father admits that UK中五會考 is easier than HK.  Their Chinese?  their f.6 curriculum includes something from 巴金 too, but don't expect them to understand 金庸.

i left HK to study overseas after F.1, and i went to a so-called English LS - with only 2 subjects in Chinese - history and literature. but i can understand 紅樓夢 and 金庸.the key to good chinese is not only what they teach in school. are the kids willing to read chinese books on their own?  I took French for 6.5 years starting from HK equivalent of F.2. When I was going to school , i could read something as difficult as 17th century literature which uses a lot of grammar much more complicated than present day french.  but I could never attain fluency in terms of writing and reading (not to mention oral and aural) because it was just a subject from school.  I did my work and had good scores, but I didn't normally do leisure reading in french - which is probably much easier than Chinese. The problem with most IS in Chinese is that, the environment doesn't promote the language! My nieces talked to their Chinese school mates in English!  they just feel Chinese is a difficult subject, so it is confined as school work and not made part of their daily life.  They can score based on the subject matter taught, but they cannot write the language as part of life.

[ 本帖最後由 elmostoney 於 09-9-25 22:49 編輯 ]

38#
發表於 09-9-26 02:20 |只看該作者

39#
發表於 09-9-26 07:37 |只看該作者
原帖由 elmostoney 於 09-9-25 22:23 發表
my nieces are in the advanced group already in all classification, whether math or chinese.  I do know they use singapore textbooks for chinese class.  they are above average students in their school. ...

In real IS, the environment is naturally and should be an English speaking environment instead of Chinese speaking one as they have staff and students of international nationalities.  Only those "IS" such as Yew Chung having 90%+ local Chinese students will provide a Chinese speaking environment.  You can choose those if you prefer that.

To help kids using, reading or writing Chinese more in real life,  it is really the parents' job.  We develop our kids to read a lot of Chinese and English books since they are very small.  My elder kid in secondary ESF now still likes to borrow Chinese story novels frequently herself, same level as other local kids at her age.

Anyway, as many IS parents have mentioned again and again, in IS, there are many more important aspects to treasure for developing our children rather than only focusing on learning Chinese.

40#
發表於 09-9-26 10:45 |只看該作者
I do not see why somehow, some parents is going back to this "chinese thing" again.

It is a little unfair to compare the chinese standard of IS students with local school students. We cannot simply say the chinese curriculum or chinese environment is a "poor model" simply because students do not have good chinese skills.

As parents, it is our responsibilities to do the due diligence. Parents should see what you expect, and see whether the school can possibly deliver what you want.

When you go to law school, you cannot possibly expect your law 101 professor to teach you how to do calculus. If you want to learn more about calculus, go to calculus 101. You have gone to the wrong class. You cannot say that the law school is "not good enough" simply they do not teach you math.

Same thing apply here. We all know (should know) international schools are not going to provide chinese curriculum as demanding as local schools. Oh, you were not aware of that. You have not done your due diligence. No use to complain now. Withdraw you child from the IS and put him in a local school.

In any case, lets get back to the original topic and not drag on the "chinese thing" again.....

[ 本帖最後由 almom 於 09-9-26 10:52 編輯 ]
‹ 上一主題|下一主題