密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 應否選擇國際學校?(唔該俾D意見)
樓主: foreverbb
go

應否選擇國際學校?(唔該俾D意見) [複製鏈接]

61#
發表於 09-7-2 15:54 |只看該作者
By the way, i know u are a concubine, i'll bust my butt trying to prove it here. Poor u!

原帖由 Reximom 於 09-7-2 15:44 發表

等咁耐先等到你回應, 查左好耐dictionary先砌到呢兩句呀?

62#
發表於 09-7-2 15:58 |只看該作者
(內容含極度不雅字眼由版主刪除, 請注意發言態度, 多謝合作!)

[ 本帖最後由 edea 於 09-7-15 18:00 編輯 ]

63#
發表於 09-7-2 16:02 |只看該作者
Elementary instead of plain. Poor u!

原帖由 Reximom 於 09-7-2 15:52 發表

都係要寫番d plain English呢!

所以咪死充啦, 下下要查字典摷d深既字寫回應好辛苦架!

64#
發表於 09-7-2 16:03 |只看該作者
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

65#
發表於 09-7-2 16:06 |只看該作者
Don't smear all the parents here. I only do that to U. If you want to do some reprisal attack, come on. I am all ears and don't get other involved.

原帖由 Reximom 於 09-7-2 16:03 發表

嘩, 嚇死人啦, mug國際D家長咁得人驚架!

66#
發表於 09-7-2 16:08 |只看該作者
yes, i am, u'd better watch ut.

嘩, 嚇死人啦, mug國際D家長咁得人驚架!呢個原來係色情狂, 專講核突野!

67#
發表於 09-7-2 16:16 |只看該作者
Why keep your mouth shut? Come on, I still have time to muck around with you.

嘩, 嚇死人啦, mug國際D家長咁得人驚架!呢個原來係色情狂, 專講核突野!

68#
發表於 09-7-2 17:28 |只看該作者
原帖由 leschelems 於 09-7-2 14:11 發表
I reckon yours is a fair account.  So for  BlastedSkull 's workload, do you think it's just his individual practice?

First, each teacher's practice can be different. Some teachers, especially primary teachers, do not believe in homework and would give out very little homework. However, some are keen of assigning daily work for children. So even for the same year level of the same school, may be one class has daily homework and another doesn't.
Then of course, it may also be whether a person is quick in doing his work. My son is fast with his work, while my daugter is slower.
However, I think if BlastedSkull has to stay up that late often, he might want to rethink what problem he has with his work. I would think it is mostly focusing problem (a person may be at the desk but not exactly focused and plays often with pencils, eraser, etc) and time management skills (a person may have miscalculated the time he needs for a piece of work due next week and started working on it too late, etc). It would sound really scary for any high school student to stay up late often for homework.

[ 本帖最後由 almom 於 09-7-2 19:38 編輯 ]

69#
發表於 09-7-2 18:40 |只看該作者
My kid is in Middle Year Program of IB now. It seems that projects and assignments are getting to be more and more. Usually he has to spend several hours for an assignment for a subject, sometimes even 10+ hours (search for information, design, write, comments), and there are 9+ subjects. I heard that 1 or 2 years down the road, he must work late at night to finish assignments, especially during peak seasons (i.e. near term end).

One parent commented that kids can spend 10 minutes to finish the assignment, and some may spend 10+ hours. But the grades will be different, of course.

So I believe in what the ex-La Salle boy's comments on his homework load.

原帖由 almom 於 09-7-2 17:28 發表

First, each teacher's practice can be different. Some teachers, especially primary teachers, do not believe in homework. However, some are keen of assigning daily work for children. So even for the  ...

70#
發表於 09-7-2 19:01 |只看該作者
I really think it is wrong to think that IS students do not have much homework/hometraining.  That may only be true when they are in primary.  But then when they go to higher grades, they do hv to spend time in their work/projects.  Only may be the method in learning is different with that in local education.
Mighty
love you for you
自分に負けるな!!

71#
發表於 09-7-2 19:37 |只看該作者
原帖由 foolish.mom 於 09-7-2 18:40 發表
So I believe in what the ex-La Salle boy's comments on his homework load.

May be my English is that poor, but I never said I did not believe him.

Just that, I do not think any high school student should have to stay up that late all the time.
Of course there are so many "big" work all the time. I am sure all parents with secondary kids know that. But I have already said that time management is very important.

If there is this piece of work that 10+ hours is required to finish it, I do not think the teacher would ask the students to complete it overnight.

As far as I see, yes, work load can be huge. But with good time management, I do not think any high school kid should have to stay up late. At least not often. And may be one also has to work more efficiently. Say, for example, do not split yourself between work and MSN or Facebook.

I would say that if he cannot overcome or solve this homework problems, he would have even more problems at university. If now he needs to stay up late all the time, what is he going to do in university?

Hope I have made my message clear this time.

[ 本帖最後由 almom 於 09-7-2 19:42 編輯 ]

72#
發表於 09-7-2 20:05 |只看該作者
I don't sense any distrust from you towards him, either.

In my opinion, no one is in a better position than the students (and teachers) to judge the amount of time for finishing homework, esp if he was once deeply-rooted in local schooling and might have needed a lot of extra time in the transitioning to IS.  

I just see that even among IS parents and student,   certain amount of homework which keeps the students busy is accepted, provided it is to the students own good to do it.

If necessity of heavy workload is situational, at any kind of schooling, we can go back to the teaching approach.  I have actually raised a question to another parent before.  The teaching approach of IS schools originates from their respective home countries.  But UK's progressive school system is notorious and US's public school system is disastrious.  What are the reasons that make the teaching approach of IS so successful here while back in UK and US this thing causes so much trouble?

原帖由 almom 於 09-7-2 19:37 發表

May be my English is that poor, but I never said I did not believe him.

Just that, I do not think any high school student should have to stay up that late all the time.
Of course there are so many  ...

73#
發表於 09-7-2 21:06 |只看該作者
QUOTE  But UK's progressive school system is notorious and US's public school system is disastrious.  UNQUOTE

May be the difference is between 'public' and 'private' ?
Mighty
love you for you
自分に負けるな!!

74#
發表於 09-7-2 21:32 |只看該作者
原帖由 leschelems 於 09-7-2 20:05 發表
But UK's progressive school system is notorious and US's public school system is disastrious.  What are the reasons that make the teaching approach of IS so successful here while back in UK and US this thing causes so much trouble?

The problems are probably complex.
But for one, I would not compare public schools with private schools. IS in Hong Kong are basically self financed and are never really "affordable" to most families.
Money is probably the main issue here.
As far as I know, the US and Canadian public schools are suffering because they lack the funds. Not sure about the UK.

75#
發表於 09-7-3 00:37 |只看該作者
Haha, finally some sane conversation going on with some sane people.
    Anyways, from my personal experience, the workload you get from IS is totally under your control. It is totally up to the students what kind and how many classes they would like to take (although there certainly is a minimum amount of credits you have to take). For each subject, there are diffeernt levels you can take, no matter what grade you are in, so it's totally the student's choice to how academically challenging the school years would be.
    However, no matter how heavy the workload is, I have to say learning was fun. Although in the final years, there certainly were many nights that I had less than 3 hours of sleep, they were definitely stressful, but deep down I was actually quite satisfied. Learning was fun. For every single topic, there are numerous ways (and sometimes its up to the studens) to how it can be learnt. For example, powerpoint presentations and graphical posters were certainly nice ways to learn. It may sound trivial to you now, but trust me you remember more fromm these kinda work than cramming  huge stack of notes and exams.
    For every year, we also have to choose on a school trip to go to. There were aorund 30 choices each year and about 90% of them were oversea choices. My personal experiences included paddling down the Wanganui River (the one in Lord of the Rings) for a whole week, without any means of contacts with the outside world, to feeding wild dolphins in Australia, to building a house for the people in need in Malaysia. These trips were certainly the most precious and educational highlights of my life so far.

76#
發表於 09-7-3 11:00 |只看該作者

回覆 7# wisekid2007 的文章

Hi Wisekid2007,

Can you share with me how do you make sure the written and reading Chinese standard of your boy are not too far different from those of the local students? Why I'm asking is that I like the way of how IS teach but concerned about the Chinese (Mandarin) standard of my kid if she goes to traditional IS without stress on Chinese.

Thx!

77#
發表於 09-7-3 13:31 |只看該作者
Mighty mentioned private vs public; almon brought up financing; Blastskull said resouces.  We are converging onto something.

To my knowledge, other than fundraising, tuition fee is the major income of IS, with the exception of ESF which still receives an annaul bulk funding from government.  

Judging from your responses, the money should be well spent, for GSIS and ESF hiring Cambridge graduates as teachers, some even with summa cum laude; for organizing the Blastskull's memorable overseas field trips.

If resources make the difference, then the key success factor of IS in HK is you, parents for your willingness to pay for them.

Nobody commends our local school system.  Funding is meagre;good schools are a minority.  However, when some of the good ones have turned DSS, parents are flocking to them.  These schools get the same praise and support from parents and students just like what I've read here.

The next time, IS parents and DSS parents as a group, when you find your kids are making good progress in academic study, instead of blaming the public school system, you should honor yourselves.

原帖由 almom 於 09-7-2 21:32 發表

The problems are probably complex.
But for one, I would not compare public schools with private schools. IS in Hong Kong are basically self financed and are never really "affordable" to most famili ...

王國長老

78#
發表於 09-7-3 15:09 |只看該作者
各會員請注意討論時的態度, 如果再有不禮貌或人身攻擊字眼出現, 版主會考慮將之禁言. 請尊重自己, 尊重別人.

多謝合作.

版主
edea

79#
發表於 09-7-3 15:45 |只看該作者

80#
發表於 09-7-3 15:49 |只看該作者
‹ 上一主題|下一主題