密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 小一選校 pls advise: DBSPD vs St. Paul's co-ed
樓主: melody8
go

pls advise: DBSPD vs St. Paul's co-ed [複製鏈接]

21#
發表於 09-6-5 01:31 |只看該作者
hi melody8, i'm sure many mums would like to learn from you.  I'd also like to know:
1. did you let your son attend any "interview training class"?
2. in your viewpoint, do you think "interview training class" helps?
3. how did your son move from reading picture books to roah dahl books?
4. did your son take any Chinese and Maths classes outside school?

Thanks in advance for sharing.

22#
發表於 09-6-5 23:07 |只看該作者
thank you for all your advices :loveliness:

let me share some of my experiences.

23#
發表於 09-6-5 23:11 |只看該作者
on swimming

- my son joined a swimming association in causeway bay (i can pm u if u want to know the name) at the age of 4. this is the minimum age to get in. they have swimming courses and the coach can advise u what competitions to join.

- they have other ball games too but my son doesn't have time to join them

24#
發表於 09-6-5 23:16 |只看該作者
on english

- my son has been attending an advanced english course in a learning centre. their curriculum is based on schools like DBSPD and DGJS. the materials are quite difficult but manageable
- they need to take a test before enrollment. the test is not easy. but u can skip the test if u take the same level course. pls pm if u want to know the name

25#
發表於 09-6-5 23:18 |只看該作者
on interview class

- my son is very shy in front of strangers and needs a long time to warm up. therefore he attended an interview course. but in my opinion, not every kid needs that. some kids can express themselves appropriately in front of strangers

- the interview course he attended is an intensive one during summer. i think that's the most suitable time as it's near the actual interview time. yet i still have time to do make ups if his performance is not good enough

- i chose a course which focuses on the technique and manner rather than memorizing model answers. Some centres are quite commercial and they claim 99% successful. but the numbers could be misleading

26#
發表於 09-6-5 23:20 |只看該作者
from reading pictures to roah dahl

- this really takes a long time to achieve that. he used to read oxford reading tree but i think there are too few words. he takes a reading and writing course which slowly teaches him to read longer story and less picture

- at home, i have a fixed reading time everyday to revise the materials he learnt from the course and read another story book together. if he can finish 1 book in a week, i'll give him something as a treat

27#
發表於 09-6-5 23:21 |只看該作者
on chinese courses

- i didn't put much emphasis on chinese as it's his mother tongue. he can't be too bad. i'll consider taking courses only if the level in school is too high for him

28#
發表於 09-6-5 23:21 |只看該作者
on maths courses

- i teach him at home. there're many fun exercises u can find in page one.  i always find candies as a very effective tool to teach him how to add or subtract!

29#
發表於 09-6-5 23:23 |只看該作者
i think i've answered all the questions. Good luck and hopefully we can meet each other in DBSPD later!

30#
發表於 09-6-5 23:31 |只看該作者

English Course/Swimming Course

melody 8,

Please PM me the details for the English Course and swimming course for your son.  Thanks.

31#
發表於 09-6-5 23:36 |只看該作者
Hi melody8

You're a great mum and I feel thankful when I read your sharing.  They're very practical!  If you don't mind, pls pm some center information to me.

32#
發表於 09-6-6 00:47 |只看該作者
Hi melody8:
Indeed many thanks for your sharing.  So apart from oxford reading tree, which book series that in y our opinions are good for age 4.  I am trying to find a series that has a storyline such that my child could follow thru.  Please also check pm.  thanksdaisy17772

33#
發表於 09-6-6 00:53 |只看該作者
Hi melody 8,

You are so good in organizing and choosing the correct things for your son.  So envy ar!!

Would you please PM me the details for
- English course
- swimming school
- interview class
- speech class for Eng speech festival
- reading and writing course to help no just read the pictures

many thanks
LionMM
(Email: [email protected])

34#
發表於 09-6-6 07:37 |只看該作者
Hi melody 8,

I think you really have a good planning for your son. Apart from sports, did you prepare some music course for your child? My friend, DBS parents, told me that DBS also focus on music. On the other hands, I want to share some of my personal experience with you. When I was studying in university, I have some good friends from DBS and girls from st. Paul co edu.  I think st. Paul's co-edu girl is more smart but it may be case by case. Also, for boy, it is better to study with girl at the begining level but for girl is better to study girl school becuase of the different development.

The location is important to consider. If moving house is not the big concern, I prefer St. Paul co- edu. However, if you continue to live in KLN, better to choose DBS.

[ 本帖最後由 elvisBB 於 09-6-11 21:14 編輯 ]

35#
發表於 09-6-6 09:24 |只看該作者
melody8,

You are an excellent mum and willing to share your thought and experience.

I want to enhance my son's overall English level. Could you please pm me the details of your son's learning center. Thanks a lot.

原帖由 melody8 於 09-6-5 23:16 發表
on english

- my son has been attending an advanced english course in a learning centre. their curriculum is based on schools like DBSPD and DGJS. the materials are quite difficult but manageable
- th ...

36#
發表於 09-6-6 10:01 |只看該作者
melody8,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.  I'm also looking for some English course for my daughter.  In fact, I am planning to enroll my daughter to British Council's English courses.  Would you PM me the English course that your son is taking so that I may consider another choice.  Moreover, I would like to know the interview course, as my daughter is also very shy and doesn't talk too much in front of stranger, I think she needs some training on interview technique, too.

In a nutshell, would you just PM me the name of all courses in which your son has enrolled, as I have no idea about the quality of those training courses on the market.

Thank you very much.

37#
發表於 09-6-6 21:50 |只看該作者
hi melody8,

is the "advanced english course" the same as the "reading and writing course"?  can you PM the course info to me.  many thx!

38#
發表於 09-6-6 22:01 |只看該作者
Would you PM me the English course that your son is taking?

39#
發表於 09-6-6 22:10 |只看該作者
melody 8,

May I know the details of the course centres as well as the tutor names?  Many Thanks.

Pls PM or send to [email protected]

40#
發表於 09-6-6 22:27 |只看該作者
I just wonder that can we uphold the offers both from DSS Schools? (DBSPD and SPCCPS) I've heard that if someone got more than one DSS school's offer, they have to choose only one of them in the very beginning. Otherwise, they would loss both.  

原帖由 melody8 於 09-6-1 15:12 發表
thank you for your advice. luckily, both schools have accepted him and i started to feel the pressure as parents.

you're right. i think i ll spend more time to allocate his activities since he's too  ...
‹ 上一主題|下一主題