用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 升中派位 St. Paul's co-ed 部份學生英語能力不足?
發新帖
查看: 2099|回覆: 16
go

St. Paul's co-ed 部份學生英語能力不足? [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 09-5-6 18:50 |只看該作者 |倒序瀏覽 |打印
怎解讀呢:

「教育局昨天公布對九間直資學校的中期評鑑報告,......聖保羅男女中學......部分學生未能適應英語教學,建議校方若要適合英語授課的原則,應協助學生培養在課室內使用英語的興趣。」

﹝09年5月6日大公報﹞

[ 本帖最後由 b-7 於 09-5-6 19:00 編輯 ]
   0    0    0    0

2#
發表於 09-5-6 20:44 |只看該作者
Oh.  Really?

原帖由 b-7 於 09-5-6 18:50 發表
怎解讀呢:

「教育局昨天公布對九間直資學校的中期評鑑報告,......聖保羅男女中學......部分學生未能適應英語教學,建議校方若要適合英語授課的原則,應協助學生培養在課室內使用英語的興趣。」

﹝09年5月6日大公報﹞ ...

3#
發表於 09-5-6 21:42 |只看該作者
怎解讀呢:

﹝09年5月6日大公報﹞ ...

"部份”是多少呢? 這很重要。

4#
發表於 09-5-6 22:01 |只看該作者
大公報訊】教育局昨天公布對九間直資學校的中期評鑑報告,讚揚拔萃男書院及聖保羅男女中學辦學出色,前者由津校轉直資後樣樣達標,而聖保羅男女中學營造良好的英語和普通話環境,但有小部分學生在課堂上使用英文習慣卻有所欠缺。 教育局規定,直資學校須於創校或轉制後第五年接受全面評鑑。拔萃男書院於○三年改為直資,並於本年一月接受視學評核,報告讚揚男拔是一所非常成功的學校,扎根於悠長和卓越的歷史。報告指出,該校教師表現優秀,與學生關係良好和互動。學生對於學校生活擁有良好態度,以及熱心地參加校內各種活動,而學生在公開試更有出色表現,如會考及格率較全港水平為高,而小學部的學生中、英、數成績亦十分優異。報告補充,男拔應有更加明確的學生學習目標和標準,以處理學生的不同需要,學校應注意學生在不同學習能力上的差異。報告指,該校中學部有需要更多關注部分具備較高學習能力的學生,提供給他們更多資源,引導他們達到更高標準。 另一方面,評鑑報告指聖保羅男女中學於○二年轉為直資後,該校設施不斷改善,課程亦更為靈活,而學生的生活經驗更為豐富。報告讚揚該校語文政策,成功營造英語及普通話學習環境,促進學生有效運用英語及普通語表達,但儘管該校教師嚴格遵照英文教學的規定,部分學生未能適應英語教學,建議校方若要適合英語授課的原則,應協助學生培養在課室內使用英語的興趣。

5#
發表於 09-5-6 22:05 |只看該作者
Full report can be found here

http://www.edb.gov.hk/index.aspx?langno=2&nodeID=7282

6#
發表於 09-5-7 11:19 |只看該作者
會不會St Paul Co-ed的英文教得比較深,有部份同學未適應呢?以我認識有幾位在該校就讀的同學,他們的英文都比其他學校同form的高!

怎解讀呢:

﹝09年5月6日大公報﹞ ...

7#
發表於 09-5-7 11:59 |只看該作者

回覆 1# outdoor 的文章

有則改之,無則加勉!
外評都是抽樣看幾日課,評語總不能只讚不彈的!
如果SPCC英語不成的話,中學會考怎能有如此佳績,40% of their students get level 5* in English language, 80% of their students get level 5* or 5 in English language .(http://www.spcc.edu.hk/sec/HKCE2008.htm

8#
發表於 09-5-7 13:15 |只看該作者
Having read the entire report, I can't help but think that a mountain has been made out of a mole hill!
The report actually praised the students' standard of English.
Its criticism was directed at the students' habit of using (or rather, not using) English in the classroom.
In other words, it is not a problem with capability, just a matter of not enough enforcement of the rule of sole usage of English in the classroom.
Yes, there is room for improvement but one hardly needs to lose sleep over this.

9#
發表於 09-5-7 13:34 |只看該作者
份報告唔知係咪講緊我個仔果類呢?
佢入去時英文係差d(普通屋村小學), 不過真係睇到佢進步左好多, 初初都係D/E到, 而家可以去到B(B係英文科既平均分).
而且有d學生應該唔會升到班(或者係唔想升班), 果d學生唔係點理老師

10#
發表於 09-5-8 21:24 |只看該作者
Dear Littlekidult,

很多謝你的回應, 另我想問吓St.Paul o-ed
有沒有夏令時間, 早放學, 謝謝!

11#
發表於 09-5-9 20:50 |只看該作者
Here is the extract of the report which has already been highlighted by mow-mow above:

Programme Review in Page 20:

A clear language policy which aims at providing a favourable environment for the learning of English language and Putonghua was in place. The result of this effort is easily observable. During the morning assembly both English and Putonghua were beautifully spoken by the students in charge of the activities. During our discussion with them, the students were capable and comfortable in switching between English and Putonghua. Inside the classroom, teachers follow the language policy dutifully, yet the habit of students using English in class has room for improvement. To be consistent with its English Medium Instruction (EMI) status, there is a need for the School to enforce its language policy on students inside the classroom.

Concluding Remarks in Page 23:

To be compatible with the EMI status, there is a need for the School to help students form the habit of using English language inside the classrooms.

12#
發表於 09-5-9 21:13 |只看該作者
Seemed like Ta Kung Po is adopting a different standard on DBS despite the following comments in the EDB's report:

Student Performance:
In the past three years, the percentages of students with 14 or more points in the best
six subjects in the Hong Kong Certificate of Education Examination (HKCEE) were higher than the territory averages. In comparison with schools with similar S1 intake, the school performed barely satisfactorily in the HKCEE for the past three years and the performance was slightly below the expected level. In the Hong Kong Advanced Level Examination, the percentages of students in the school awarded the minimum entrance requirements for local degree courses were well above the territory averages over the past three years.

Concluding Remarks:

Given its commitment to addressing the diverse needs of students, the school should review its provision for learner differences.

Whilst the school has correctly identified a need for better time-management and punctuality, for example, there needs to be more daily positive reinforcement by teachers of these and other good habits.

13#
發表於 09-5-9 21:21 |只看該作者
報告讚揚男拔是一所非常成功的學校,扎根於悠長和卓越的歷史。報告指出,該校教師表現優秀,與學生關係良好和互動。學生對於學校生活擁有良好態度,以及熱心地參加校內各種活動,而學生在公開試更有出色表現,如會考及格率較全港水平為高,

上述報導有斷章取義之嫌,因報告指出與收錄類似水平中一生的中學比較,男拔會考成績只能算僅僅滿意而亦在預料水平之下。

[ 本帖最後由 DSS 於 09-5-9 21:26 編輯 ]

14#
發表於 09-5-10 08:54 |只看該作者
Dear ksnghk,

Thank you so much for posting the CR Reports' link, I have saved my son's future school's CR Report for my own reference and will recommend my fellow parents to study the report.

Transparency of schools are greatly improved via these reports, a good thing for parents.  It is more interesting to read these reports side by side.  I read my son's future school along side with the SPCC's report, with the help of a 17" 10x6 monitor, more are revealed.  After doing so, I am happy with my son's school.

May I share the followings with my fellow bk friends:

1.  They were prepared by different teams.  DBS was by EDB and St. Paul's was by her own invited Panel.  

2.  Although the content is already in an EBD framwork, they are not only different in writing style and also different in some fine areas of focus.

3.  Where the students are put in the reports and how they were discussed.  As a parents, the fame of the school is not my area of prime concern.

4.  What we can read between the lines of those critics and recommendations in the reports?

It is fun to read them, and for me the most rewarding thing is that my son is going to a reasonable good school.

15#
發表於 09-5-10 09:24 |只看該作者
St. Paul
接受外評時,小兒正讀中一,當時亦有提及外評的一些情況,或者對理解『
部分學生未能適應英語教學,建議校方若要適合英語授課的原則,應協助學生培養在課室內使用英語的興趣。』有些幫助。

St. Paul是規定學生上課時及下課後與老師交談只可用英文或普通話,但似乎沒有規定學生之間不可用廣東話交談,至少沒有嚴格要求,就是在外評前似乎亦沒有特別提醒學生必須用英文或普通話。
所以在外評時,一些課堂例如在科學堂分組做實驗時,學生間的交談亦有些用廣東話,所以外評便有上面的結論。這點在外評人員向學校作口頭報告時已指出,而老師事後亦有告訴學生,讓他們知道外評人員對他們的評論,這點當時小兒亦有回家告知我們。
事實上,平時學生和老師在課堂以外的交談,若不是與功課學習有關,而是一般的閒談,亦會用廣東話的;同學之間亦多是普通話,這是習慣問題,和語文能力無關。
若以我的觀察和小兒的反映,St. Paul學生平均的英語水平是遠高於全港中學生的水平,這點是不用懷疑的。

16#
發表於 09-5-14 10:03 |只看該作者
Dear Littlekidult,

很多謝你的回應, 另我想問吓St.Paul o-ed
有沒有夏令時間, 早放學, 謝謝!

17#
發表於 09-5-14 10:22 |只看該作者
Dear Littlekidult,

請收PM, 謝謝!
‹ 上一主題|下一主題