密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 聖士提反書院附屬小學 Question for St Stephens parents
發新帖
查看: 3428|回覆: 6
go

Question for St Stephens parents

發表於 08-11-11 09:48 |顯示全部帖子
I'm fortunate enough to have received SSPC's acceptance letter this year.  A few parents I spoke with said very positive things about this school.  Every school has a negative side, I was wondering if someone can kindly share what are some concerns you have about the school or your children attending this school?  Thanks so much in advance.

發表於 08-11-11 16:35 |顯示全部帖子
SSCPS is a private school. I found that it does not receive much services or support from Government, e.g. few resources  for gifted children. Besides, since competition among students are not stressed, gifted children may not be pushed to their limits. (However, many parents may think it is a merit ). Besides, many activities are self-financed.

原帖由 obama2008 於 08-11-11 09:48 發表
I'm fortunate enough to have received SSPC's acceptance letter this year.  A few parents I spoke with said very positive things about this school.  Every school has a negative side, I was wondering if ...

[ 本帖最後由 ssspwong 於 08-11-11 18:02 編輯 ]

發表於 08-11-11 17:44 |顯示全部帖子

回覆 # 的文章

Thank you, that's very helpful.  

As parents we want everything for the children - we want them to enjoy their school life, we want them to have high academic achievements, we want them to be well-rounded..... and the list goes on.

When you mention the school doesn't push the children to their limits, does that mean their academic curriculum is quite easy that many children are capable of learning more advanced stuff?

And can I ask if you know of people that transfer their children out later on during primary or secondary years to other schools?

Thanks so much again.

發表於 08-11-11 18:20 |顯示全部帖子
As far as I know, the drop out rate is not high for primary school. However, students need to retain if he fails any main courses (Chi, Eng or Maths). Sorry that I can't remember the details which have been circulated by notice during early September.

The academic standards actually are quite high. However, the study environment is not very stressful. Students and parents themselves would not compare with each other because the school does not build this kind of culture. In fact, we hardly know our classmates' ranking.

SSC turned to be a DSS last year. Over 90% of its primary school graduates continued their study in SSC because of the alignment of curricula and school values. Most of good features of primary school can be kept, e.g. smaller class size, NET for English, PTH for Chinese, etc because more resources are available ($50000 tution fee p.a.)

So, will the drop out rate as high as before? I can't tell.

原帖由 obama2008 於 08-11-11 17:44 發表
Thank you, that's very helpful.  

As parents we want everything for the children - we want them to enjoy their school life, we want them to have high academic achievements, we want them to be well-ro ...

發表於 08-11-12 17:41 |顯示全部帖子

回覆 # 的文章

Your insight is so valuable, thank your for sharing.  

This school really does seem like an ideal school.  I'm looking for a school that has high academic standards and yet still allows the child to pursue their other interests.  And the fact that the children and parents don't feel very pressured by the grades is surely a good thing.  Thanks a lot for all the insights again.

發表於 08-11-17 13:51 |顯示全部帖子
The offical shows that the teacher vs student ratio is 1:18.
The class size is 30 with one teacher.  How can they achieve 1:18?  Will there be 2nd / assitant teacher for each class?
Thanks.

發表於 09-8-7 15:12 |顯示全部帖子
In fact, the class size is about 32-34 students. I think the ratio is calculated by dividing the total number of students with the total no. of teachers. (Some teachers are not class teachers.)