搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 國際學校是否需補數學呢?
發新帖
查看: 1320|回覆: 15
go

國際學校是否需補數學呢? [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 08-9-9 11:51 |只看該作者 |倒序瀏覽 |打印
小朋友9月開始讀Int'l sch P.1, 是否再需學e.g. E.nopi, KIWI Maths.....之類的Maths? Int'l sch的數學科會否比本地小學差or程度較淺呢? Thanks!
   0    0    0    0

2#
發表於 08-9-9 20:19 |只看該作者
据我所知,SIS數學和科學兩門科目的程度,絕對不比本地學校的淺。

但其他IS的情況我就不太清楚了。

E.nopi我覺得比較適合IS的學生,而KIWI就比較適合本地學生。

以上意見純屬參考之用。

原帖由 hellovicky 於 08-9-9 11:51 發表
小朋友9月開始讀Int'l sch P.1, 是否再需學e.g. E.nopi, KIWI Maths.....之類的Maths? Int'l sch的數學科會否比本地小學差or程度較淺呢? Thanks!

3#
發表於 08-9-9 22:25 |只看該作者
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

4#
發表於 08-9-9 23:33 |只看該作者
There is no harm if the kids like to have supplementary lessons after school.  I'd like my kid to do more reading or sports activities after school instead.

5#
發表於 08-9-10 09:14 |只看該作者

6#
發表於 08-9-10 10:31 |只看該作者
非常認同你的説法,孩子應該趁小參與多一些書本以外的課外活動,此外,培養孩子在欣賞方面的能力也不能忽視。

原帖由 wisekid2007 於 08-9-10 09:14 發表
More supplementary lessons after school means less time for reading, sports, music, art and other intereseting activities.  

Is it really no harm?

I think most of the kids wouldn't like to have supp ...

7#
發表於 08-9-10 13:39 |只看該作者
Every kid is different and we cannot tell whether individual kid really needs assistance on studies. Of course the most important thing is to strike a balance between ECAs and studies.  Rest is important as well.

8#
發表於 08-9-10 16:15 |只看該作者

9#
發表於 08-9-10 18:19 |只看該作者
wisekid2007,

I agree with most of your points. But I know that currently there are some kids attending Math course run by Infokids for gifted kids (run jointly with Stanford U) to advance their concept further and beyond their age level.

10#
發表於 08-9-10 18:47 |只看該作者
Well, the Maths course offered by Infokids has it's selling point. However, the way they teach is not really that good. Actually I know many students end up of  withdrawl at about G7+.

原帖由 foolish.mom 於 08-9-10 18:19 發表
wisekid2007,

I agree with most of your points. But I know that currently there are some kids attending Math course run by Infokids for gifted kids (run jointly with Stanford U) to advance their conce ...

11#
發表於 08-9-10 23:47 |只看該作者

12#
發表於 08-9-11 09:17 |只看該作者
eemay,

Thank you for your comments. I am teaching my kid Math myself and he is in G7 now. As I know that some of his classmates are learning at Infokids, I am tempted to join. Can you share more on how Infokids methods are not that good beyong G7?

原帖由 eemay 於 08-9-10 18:47 發表
Well, the Maths course offered by Infokids has it's selling point. However, the way they teach is not really that good. Actually I know many students end up of  withdrawl at about G7+.

13#
發表於 08-9-12 09:50 |只看該作者
原帖由 foolish.mom 於 08-9-11 09:17 發表
eemay,

Thank you for your comments. I am teaching my kid Math myself and he is in G7 now. As I know that some of his classmates are learning at Infokids, I am tempted to join. Can you share more on h ...

Hi!

Since my son is only 7 yo, I don't know much about courses for upper grade students.
It was about 2 years ago when I met a group of teens from an elite school. Some is taking Infokids's course and some has dropped. The main reason why they quit is because of the huge workload and the cost.
One selling point of it's courses is one can take the courses and get the points of university in advance. However, actually you have to take AP course and pass in their exam before entering to university level. You can calculate how much you have to spend and evaluate the cost of effectiveness.
For lower level,one boy explained to me that he only spent 6 months to finish G1-6 when he was in G5 and advise my kid not to join too early.

I heard few parents (also at G7 and above) said teachers are not that good at Infokids. However, I also doubt how they can come to this conclusion.

Actually my kid has experiences at Infokids. He likes the course but the homework make him lost his interests in doing maths.

Back to the issue which 樓主 concern, as your kid is only in G1,you can teach him by yourself. Go to Page one to choose a exercise book for age 7-8 and let him practise if you think it's really necessary.

14#
發表於 08-9-16 20:52 |只看該作者
I know some of my friends kids ( G1-G6) went to study Selin Maths in Causeway Bay near Tin Hau.

15#
發表於 08-9-17 17:29 |只看該作者
既定義係乜先? 追吾上要补. 你既小朋友有無話上堂聽吾明老師講乜? 有無test 吾合格?
, 要补啦, 吾掂Y嘛!

, 去學吓游水,强身健体 or 學 art 加强想像力 好過啦! 因為讀到中學, IS都好push 架, 無得多元智能架啦.

16#
發表於 08-9-17 18:25 |只看該作者
My children have never attended any extra Math, Chinese or English classes. They are only doing sports and music after school.

I also believe that most children in international schools probably do not need extra after school lessons. But there are children that might need just a little bit extra help. And if that little extra help can really boost up their confidence, why not?

If parents have the time, and patience to teach/tutor their own children, this is probably the best solution. If parents do not have the time, or are not keen on having too much conflict with their children because of school work, do consider hiring a tutor or putting their children in suitable tutorial classes.

However, you need to see in what way your child is not good at. Is it really math issue? Some people are simply not a mathematical person, if you know what I mean. Or is it merely language problem? Children with weak language skills may not understand word problems. Or there are some children that are very good in language skills but they are simply unable to "convert" word problems to mathematical sentenses that easily.

Now what type of "problem" does your child has? Locate the problem and then find the right type of solution.

The best way to decide whether extra classes are needed is talk to the teacher. Most international schools have teaching assistants to help children that need extra help in learning. Weaker students are probably already receiving extra help at school. Now, if the teacher thinks that even with extra help at school, your child still need to attend extra classes, I am sure he/she would let you know soon.

Do not believe in the myth that international school students are that poor at math.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題