真光小學 [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 04-5-31 20:21 |只看該作者

真光小學

請問知不知窩打老道真光小學何時要註冊及交學費、買校服?

2#
發表於 04-6-2 21:04 |只看該作者

Re: 真光小學

Any parents have kids studying in this school? If so, please advise me the strengths and weaknesses of this school. Please help. Many thanks,

3#
發表於 04-6-3 12:04 |只看該作者

The school campus is small but it also created a family feel.  The school encourages the big sisters to take care of P1 students.
Teachers are nice. The class size is small so teachers can take good care of the girls.

4#
發表於 04-6-3 12:38 |只看該作者

Many thanks,
I saw a banner at the school this morning which invites applications for various grades. I wonder why there are still vacancies as there are only 2 classes each grade. Do U know? I have to make up my mind, KTS or True Light.

5#
發表於 04-6-3 13:07 |只看該作者

Because they do not have enough students for each class law. For this year P1, each class only got 20 students.  

6#
發表於 04-6-3 14:28 |只看該作者

Thanks again.

Last week, the school said that they would only inform the kids on the waiting list by mid June. If they don't have sufficient students, they should have informed us earlier. Quite strange Besides, as per the student figures in their website, each class should have 30 students. Not honest???

7#
發表於 04-6-3 21:58 |只看該作者

借問聲知否何解這麼多人退學?差不多走了三分一?
據我所知申請的P1的人數應該頗多的。

謝謝

心急的爸爸

8#
發表於 04-6-4 08:29 |只看該作者

there is no student 退學 since last Sept, this may be the policy of school to keep a small class size. To be honest, this is very good for the students. They can have full attention of the teachers and they know each other very well.  
The homework volume is reasonable.  All girls like to go to school. One special thing is it has a strong connection with its secondary school, not saying how many girls will go to the secondary school but is the primary school frequently ask secondary students to come in and help out. The little girls like their big sisters very much.  Academically it may not be the best, because they are not pushy. But the culture is very good for development of girls, mentally and value.

9#
發表於 04-6-4 09:52 |只看該作者

Thanks Jessica.

So it seems that the school intentionally restricts the no. of students in each class. I agree with your view that this is good to the kids. BTW, do you have any idea in terms of percentage, how many graduates were successfully allocated to the secondary school? And is the secondary school an English school? I can't have such information in either this school's web site and the secondary one's. Would it be any preference to the graduates if they apply for other True Light secondary schools?

Thanks. I got to make up my mind before 8th.

10#
發表於 04-6-4 11:51 |只看該作者

the secondary school is a Chinese one.  Since the class size is small, if the result is not too bad, I think it will accept all its primary school student. As 25% of the seats (160 x 25% = 40)  is reserved for its primary school.
If you are at the top of the class, you can apply to True Ligh English secondary school in Yau Ma Tei. Priority will be given.
Historically more than half of the student go to its secondary school. Top one go to other band 1 English secondary school.
Its secondary school is now under expansion to build a extra building.

11#
發表於 04-6-4 12:10 |只看該作者

Jessica, 100% thank you! Without your information, I must get into trouble. BTW, (hope you don't mind telling us) are you in the field / a teacher of True Light as you know so much about the True Light group?

Thanks again.

12#
發表於 04-6-4 15:08 |只看該作者

Thanks Jessica for the information, the reason why I think that the percentage of 退學 is high is that based on the past years’ (2002/3) figure, the average class size is 32!! And in the application form they said they can admit 90 students!!! There must be around 10 student leaving the school during the academic year!? And I did hear from 朋友個朋友個朋友that quite some students left the school after P1, P2 or P3. Their reasons are usually, “not suit their daughter”, “level not high enough”, etc. One mother said “why should I paid the tuition fee if the level is that low(程度低) and I cannot guarantee an English secondary school place!” Maybe she forgot the primary aim of primary education.

CKW921, I think I faced similar dilemma as you, my alternate choice is 聖母小學! I gave up KTS in the first round. I am living in Lam Tin and will probably give up whatever the result is unless my 垮區 choice of 協恩(5 places only!!) is drawn.

Thanks Jessica again for your information, kindly keep posting any up-to-date news. Thanks

13#
發表於 04-6-4 15:43 |只看該作者

Agreed with what Horas said. To me, English teaching schools may not be suitable for all kids unless their language levels are OK. Besides, with respect, I don't think all the teachers can well present in English, unless they are English (I said English, not British or Americans or Indians or Australians etc.). Sometimes, parents need to think, whether they want an English school (not necessarily Band 1) or a Band 1 Chinese school.

Do the parents think that they have water-proof guarantee (for an English middle school place) if the level of the primary school is on the high side???

My middle school is a reputable one in Kln. The level is pretty difficult. But it is not suitable for those who are not genius like myself. A personal experience! So I want my little girl happy, at least during the forthcoming 6 years.

14#
發表於 04-6-4 16:13 |只看該作者

Well, to be honest, I think using English textbook and writing/exam is preferred for Science. It is easier and faster to get in touch with the world using English in the Science field. Anyway, millions of people in China are using Chinese. English shall not be the primary aim of choosing a secondary school.

About True Light, I really want to gather more information on the teaching method, homework and extra-curricular activites. One comment is that it is a 傳統過傳統 school. Maybe there are too few students in this school, I couldn't get too much comment on it.

May I shall visit the school on Monday morning to see the girls faces.

So CKW129, did you make up your mind? KTL or TKS?

15#
發表於 04-6-4 16:53 |只看該作者

My girl is studying in P1. I did a lot of research last year, some coming from BK, some from other parents. This is not a top band 1 school but I think your girl will be happy studying in this school. last year my dilemma is Tak Nga and TL.

ckw921 寫道:
Jessica, 100% thank you! Without your information, I must get into trouble. BTW, (hope you don't mind telling us) are you in the field / a teacher of True Light as you know so much about the True Light group?

Thanks again.

16#
發表於 04-6-4 17:08 |只看該作者

Thanks Jessica, so your kid must be very happy with the school.  I was really surprise to know that there are only 20 students in the class, which is quite a large deviation from the previous years!! There were quite a number of applications, they should be able to admit more students. If the class is so small, it is really a big advantage to both the students and the teachers.

What’s your view on the comments that TL is a very 傳統 school? Well, I am sorry that I don’t know what is a “standard” 傳統 school. Maybe somewhat like what we were educated.

Thanks a lot

17#
發表於 04-6-4 19:01 |只看該作者

Thanks both of you! I have been struggling whether my kid should go to True Light or KTS or Tak Nga. I have intentionally kicked away Tak Nga as many parents mentioned that the school life is pretty harsh and the pressure is too heavy for both parent and kid. Besides it is just a half day school.

I got 2 friends whose kids are graduates of KTS. They do recommend me to choose KTS but draw my attention to the fact that KTS does not have linked middle school. I note from KTS's web site that the allocation results of the past few years are quite fluctuating. Of course, I have to admit that in terms of space, environment and possibly the variety of extra-curricular activities, KTS may win.

But I find it difficult to collect information of True Light and really thank Jessica. Up to now, I still love True Light a little bit more, cos. the small class size, the teacher having lunch with kids and the big sisters help the little ones. I think these are the "family feel" mentioned by Jessica. I don't want my kid studying in a "eking Duck" school, cos. the 3 years kindergarten has already caused us too much, in terms of examination pressure etc. But I don't know whether True Light has reasonable extra-curricular activities and whether its teachers would accept active kids. Perhaps, Jessica, please let us know your observations. Besides, does Jessica know whether the campus would be renovated shortly? Is its size reasonably enough for kids' development?

Many thanks again.

18#
發表於 04-6-4 23:13 |只看該作者

ckw921:
我在多年前畢業於真光,到現在我也會想起當日的校園生活
如你說,真光給我溫暖的感覺,像大家庭,高年級會take care 低年級,老師也很有耐性和愛心,此感覺就算到了中學也仍存在...
至於課程,真光小學算是不過不失吧,想直升的話,只要全級頭30名就多數到得(根據上一年的資料)
我女女今年4歲,我也有帶她會母校,讓她見見我的老師,希望她將來能入讀呢!
其實現在難考嗎?可以分享一

19#
發表於 04-6-5 07:21 |只看該作者

Thanks Sim Sim. Given the small no. of students in each grade, it seems that most, if not all, students can be promoted to its linked secondary school. Do you know how many students can be promoted to its English schools (the ones in Tai Hang and Yau Ma Tei) and how many students can be allocated to other English teaching schools? I want to compare these with KTS.

I recalled that on the interview day, there were quite a no. of applicants. The teachers would check the documents with the parents and there was a short chat with them e.g. why you chose us? how much did you know about us? Would it be too distant for you (I live in Yuen Long)? Given the small no. of p.1 places (2 classes / 90 as per the appication form or even around 60 as per the web site information), it was a challenge to get a place. And my little girl is actually on the waiting list after the interview. For your information, I have written several letters to the Principal with attachments of my kid's latest school report, awards / merits etc. and requested her to consider my kid once there is a vacancy. Just the day before I wanted to send the 4th letter, I got a call from the school. I was very excited (luckily I just stopped my car at the car park otherwise ...).

Can you / Jessica tell me more about the school? My kid is an active girl. Sometimes, I feel difficult to ask her concentrated. Would such be OK to teachers? Thanks

20#
發表於 04-6-5 12:36 |只看該作者

ckw921 :
真光是一間幾傳統的女校,在校的小朋友到比較斯文有禮,我女女也是個活躍型,so 我希望她能將來入讀能而學得lady d... 至於老師也會循序漸進地讓她改善,放心啦,到現在我也認識一些剛畢業的師妹,不論是中學or小學在行為和學業上也不錯呢!至於升英中,也有些人派到同區的銀禧,黃'忽'(no this word in computer)楠,...
又有d 會自己考,入到St mary呢!
‹ 上一主題|下一主題