用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 幼校討論 Victoria or St. Paul's Convent?
查看: 3010|回覆: 20
go

Victoria or St. Paul's Convent? [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 04-5-20 00:34 |只看該作者

Victoria or St. Paul's Convent?

Victoria is half-day English/Putonghua international and St. Paul's is full-day nursery. Anyone has any comments on these 2 schools?

醒目開學勳章

2#
發表於 04-5-20 10:00 |只看該作者

Re: Victoria or St. Paul's Convent?

Hi, Newton,

I am thinking of the same option too, very confused at the moment.... Do you know whether the teacher in SPN teaches in English / Catonese?  Cos I heard the teacher at Victoria is native English speaker, dunno is true or not
[size=small]所以不要為明天憂慮.因為明天自有明天的憂慮.一天的難處一天當就夠了 (太六:34)

王國長老

3#
發表於 04-5-20 13:53 |只看該作者

Newton,
你的孩子是女兒嗎?如果是女的話,當然是St. Paul’s,因可直升上小學、中學,可不必為將來煩惱。如果是男孩的話,因太多女孩而男仔是minorities,怕不是太好,小學又是女校男仔無得讀上去。我仔在Victoria讀K.3了,學校是比較commercial,但孩子都喜歡上學的。一班是有兩個班主任,其中一個是Native Speaker。小朋友每日面對外語老師,聽講能力是不錯的。St. Paul’s Convent現在有沒有Native speaking teacher我不太清楚(30年前我讀時有的,因當時很多外籍同學),但St. Paul’s出來的女仔,英語水準不會太差,我同學的女兒讀P.4及P.3,英語說得很好。
另外現行的派位制度,如參加政府的,你女兒有幾多分?如果分數不夠,更應選擇St Paul’s,雖說Victoria有很多小朋友派位理想,但實質不是幼稚園因素,如考私校及直資另說。我弟婦的女兒舊年成功考入St. Paul’s,但最終沒有讀,因她本人是St. Stephen’s Girls的舊生又是教友,她女兒派到佢母校機會好高好高,所以唔入St. Paul’s疊埋心水入St Stephen’s,唔使比學費嘛!

4#
發表於 04-5-20 14:28 |只看該作者

Thanks for 麟媽媽's opinion! (in fact, I am also Paulinian, but only since secondary school...but I guess we are about the same age cos' I also attended kindergarten about 30 years ago   )

Well..back to the topic....I am also thinking what is better for my son...originally, I think I will send him to Victoria cos' it's very close to my home, but my friend said that the teacher there is very discriminating to the "rich" kid.  So, she suggest me to go to Ling Leung Tong or St. Paul's.  In fact, I hope my son can get in to St. Joseph.  So, what is a better choice? Is there any kindergarten in St. Joseph? Heard that there is only K2 and K3 available.

Please feel free to share your exprience and opinion.  Thanks in advance!

王國長老

5#
發表於 04-5-20 15:16 |只看該作者

HSI,
A big "HI" to another Paulinian! (There are quite some of us in BK!) 30 years back for sure we were in the same batch!
Regarding the "discriminating" you mentioned earlier, I don't see any for the past few years, I think it's all depands on indiviual.... all teachers I encounter are loving, caring and responsible ones.
You are right, St. Joseph only start at K.2, as a traditional kindergarten, teachers are quite straight to the pupils, as told by my schoolmate  (her son was in St. Jo kinder and now P.1). Ling Leung Tong has very good reputation but I don't know anybody studying there, so not much comment. I haven't think of St. Jo cause my hubby was a Wah-Yanite, these 2 schools.... I suppose you will understand why my hubby won't let his son to go for St. Jo, haha!!

6#
發表於 04-5-20 15:35 |只看該作者

SPN's teachers communicate with children in Cantonese and there are no native English speaker according to the photos posted in their website. It so happens that language is one of my major concern. Originally I tilted towards St. Paul because they provide all-round care which include breakfast and lunch which seems quite nutrient and the training they provide must be better than the maid. However, after reading so many good comments about Victor, my intention is shaken and now more lean towards Victoria. Tough choice!

7#
發表於 04-5-20 15:47 |只看該作者

My son will be one of the handful male in St. Paul. I don't quite concern about the gender imbalance there.

Why the English standard of those children in St. Paul high. Are they acquiring the language mainly from primary school. I know their secondary school English are pretty good but according to the interviewer, they communicate with the kids in Cantonese at kindergarten and that worries me.

"雖說Victoria有很多小朋友派位理想,但實質不是幼稚園因素" - What is the other factors for good allocation?

Bear with me for so many questions.

Thks a lot

What is the point system for primary school. I am completely new. Would you minding offerring some pointers?

王國長老

8#
發表於 04-5-20 16:10 |只看該作者

Newton,
What about choice for primary school? If you wish to send your kid to international school whose pupils enroll when they reach 5, then Victoria will be a better choice. But if you tend to send your kid to local school, you have to consider more than just language development as Victoria won't guarantee a good allocation of primary school.
It's really a hard choice for you, right?

9#
發表於 04-5-20 16:12 |只看該作者

Deleted

Deleted

王國長老

10#
發表於 04-5-20 16:22 |只看該作者

Newton,
You should have told me earlier that yours is a son! If that's the case, I vote for Victoria. St. Paul's Convent School (Primary Section) is an English school which means except Chinese Language all other subjects are to be taught in English. They use P.2 English text books for P.1 and so on (that's what it was when I was in Primary). Teachers conduct in English during class and most students can listen well. Too bad that it's a girl's school that's why I sent my boy to Victoria.   

11#
發表於 04-5-20 16:38 |只看該作者

Yes. Got accepted.

12#
發表於 04-5-20 16:47 |只看該作者

Thank you for your opinion.

I have a serious thought to send my son to international school for primary education. I personally do not quite enjoy the local education system above the primary school level and I think it has high chance to hinder children development even though it can produce 10As students effectively. Therefore I am thinking about German-Swiss (but I think the deadline is due) and Canadian International.

麟媽媽 寫道:
Newton,
You should have told me earlier that yours is a son! If that's the case, I vote for Victoria. St. Paul's Convent School (Primary Section) is an English school which means except Chinese Language all other subjects are to be taught in English. They use P.2 English text books for P.1 and so on (that's what it was when I was in Primary). Teachers conduct in English during class and most students can listen well. Too bad that it's a girl's school that's why I sent my boy to Victoria.   

13#
發表於 04-5-20 16:47 |只看該作者

Deleted

Deleted

王國長老

14#
發表於 04-5-20 16:55 |只看該作者

I copied the below information from ed website, hope it helps!

教育統籌委員會在提出小一入學機制的改革建議時,主要的改革理念是維持「就近入學」的原則;避免以幼童能力作為收生準則,減低幼兒教育揠苗助長的誘因。現行的小一入學機制,分為「自行分配學位」和「統一派位」兩個階段:

自行分配學位

在「自行分配學位」階段,家長可替其子女向一間官立或資助小學遞交小一入學申請表,申請該校的自行分配學位:

(i) 供有兄�姊在該小學就讀或父�母在該小學就職的申請人的學位

所有這類的申請人必獲取錄。此類申請是不受學校網限制的。若這類申請人數目少於學校小一學額的30%,餘下學額可由學校根據(ii)項方法自行分配。若這類申請人數目多於學校小一學額的30%,不足之數將會以原本預留作「統一派位」的50%學額填補。

(ii) 根據「計分辦法準則」分配的學位

學校應根據以下的「計分辦法準則」甄選申請人。這類申請也是不受學校網限制的。視乎上述第(i)項的申請人數目,這類學位不少於學校小一學額的20%。

(一) 父�母全職在與該小學同一校址的幼稚園或中學部工作 (20分)

(二) 兄�姊在與該小學同一校址的中學部就讀 (20分)

(三) 父�母為該小學的註冊校董 (20分)

(四) 父�母或兄�姊為該小學的畢業生 (10分)

(五) 首名出生子女(即為家庭各子女中最年長者) (5分)

(六) 與該校的辦學團體有相同的宗教信仰 ( 5分)

(七) 父�母為該小學主辦社團的成員 (5分)

(八) 適齡兒童(即在九月開課時年滿五歲八個月至七歲) (10分)

註:申請人只能在第(一)至第(五)項中選一項填報;而在第(六)至第(七)項中,亦只能申報其中一項。所有申報的關係必須證明屬實,才可以獲得有關分數。

學校在甄選自行分配學位的申請人時,不可進行任何形式的面試或筆試。在經修訂的「計分辦法準則」下,原則上,學校沒有需要約見申請人。但若學校認為有需要在公布「自行分配學位」結果前約見申請人,則會通知家長有關約見詳情。然而,申請人是否獲學校取錄,應取決於「計分辦法準則」的得分而絕非面見的結果。

若有申請人在「計分辦法準則」下得分相同,而申請人數目亦超過學校剩餘的自行分配學位的學額,學校應以隨機方式甄選同分的申請人。學校可自行抽籤,但須秉承公平、公正的原則,或交由教育統籌局中央處理。學校應預先通知申請人校方將採用的方法及有關細節。

統一派位

學校須預留小一學額的大約50%,由教育統籌局按學校網和家長選擇進行「統一派位」。「統一派位」的學額中有10%是不受學校網限制的,家長可選擇最多三所位於任何學校網(包括住址所屬學校網)的小學。

「選擇學校表格」分為甲部(不受校網限制的學校選擇)及乙部(住址所屬學校網的學校選擇)兩部份。家長可在甲部填入最多三所任何學校網的選校編號。此外,家長在填寫乙部時,應盡量將其居住地址所屬學校網的小學,按照意願排列先後次序填入表內。

電腦進行統一派位時,首先會處理「不受學校網限制」的選擇,然後處理「住址所屬學校網」的選擇。統一派位是根據家長的選擇分派學位,若某些學校的小一學位求過於供時,電腦將會按「隨機編號」分配,務求公允。電腦首先會依據「隨機編號」次序審閱所有申請人在甲部填寫的第一選擇。當所有申請人的第一選擇審閱完畢後,再依次序審閱未獲派位申請人的第二選擇,然後第三選擇。未能在「不受學校網限制」的選校中獲派學位的申請人,電腦會依上述程序處理他們在「住址所屬學校網」的選校,直至每名申請人皆獲得分配一個小一學位為止。

小一入學改革分兩階段循序漸進實施,短期機制適用於2002/2003學年至2004/2005學年,長遠機制則於2005/2006學年開始實行。政府在實施長遠機制之前,會檢討「計分辦法準則」。

15#
發表於 04-5-20 16:58 |只看該作者

My feeling is if you get the interview, you are pretty much in.

The interview was conducted by one of the teachers. She sat my son down on a small table to play with legco himself and brief us a bit about the school. Nothing special and not too many questions. Especially almost none went to my son.

We were actually quite under-prepared for the interview and even thought that we were not able to make it.

However, don't take my words for granted. It may be different for each individual interviewer.

2mings 寫道:
Hi Newton
Yes, you should think about it as St. Paul's is a dream school for girls but not for boys! However, I think you can also check with the school where the old boys of SPN been? I heard that most of them can enter some famous schools.

BTW, would you please share with us if there is an interview for SPN. What's the contents of the interview?

16#
發表於 04-5-20 17:14 |只看該作者

Hi 麟媽媽

Hum...I think I got only 20 point at most!

Some other questions since you are from St. Paul's as well.

1) Full-day vs half-day - do you think kids will be better trained in terms of discipline and manner. My thought is that Victoria are so free and the maid cannot train them well, a full-day nursery with St. Paul may be a better choice.

2) As mentioned by the others, do you have any information about the primary allocation records for SPN or SPK, both girls and boys (although I know most of the girls will go straight to St. Paul's Primary.

3) Do you think day-nursery for the kid is too long, especially for a slightly over 2 years old boy.

Any of your advise is highly appreciated.

17#
發表於 04-5-21 17:08 |只看該作者

up

18#
發表於 04-5-22 10:57 |只看該作者

Deleted

Deleted

王國長老

19#
發表於 04-5-22 12:50 |只看該作者

Hi Newton,

My own opinions to your questions:

1) Full day nursery for sure will train up better discipline and independence. I agree with you that Victoria are too free in some extent but they will tighten up when kids reach K.3 in order to comply with future local primary school life. Like my son, he was quite depressed when he promoted to K.3 which he was asked to follow all instructions from teachers which he need not to be for the past few years. But kids adept to changes easily.
2) I don't have any idea. According to existing allocation system, no privilege will be given to students from famous kindergartens, it all depends on the marks in your hand. I think students from famous kindergartens might have higher chances to get in private / DSS schools.
3) I myself think it's okay.

The major concern for the decision is which education stream (international / local) you will take for your son. If your son going to be studying in International school in the future, Victoria will be a better choice as he will adept easier with better English listening / speaking ability.

Another little opinion, since your son will be only in N1 this coming year, why not let him study in SPN and if you think Victoria will be a better choice if he can sucessfully enroll into an international school, you can still apply for Victoria K.1 next year. Frankly speaking, it's much more easier to get in Victoria than to get in SPN! Will this be a better choice for you?

20#
發表於 04-5-22 21:35 |只看該作者

Hi, my daughter also studies here.  Just same as 2mings mention that many resource eg. human, event... so your children explore more and very dependent. eg. change his swimming suit by herself because she can play 'water'.  They can have a floor full with toys.   Ha.. I also like to play ...everyday going to garden and play slide.  Ha... I like too.

They have so many chance to sing, speak in the stage and a lot of competition.  So that they are built up 'Difference'

‹ 上一主題|下一主題