教育王國 討論區 國際學校 IB....考試 ??
查看: 4158|回覆: 39
go

IB....考試 ?? [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 08-6-6 20:49 |只看該作者 |倒序瀏覽 |打印
今年報紙 am730 --> 狀元視窗

作者在李寶?預科書院..讀 IB Disploma

http://www.am730.com.hk/old_issue/issue/2008/200806/20080606/default1.html?startpage=17

[ 本文章最後由 木土土 於 08-6-6 20:51 編輯 ]
   0    0    0    0

2#
發表於 08-6-7 12:42 |只看該作者

回覆 #1 木土土 的文章

he is a tyopical hong kong boy who thinks the purpose of schooling is to fight with the exam system. if you read his articles everyday, you can see that.

he does not seem to think learning is for joy.

3#
發表於 08-6-7 20:11 |只看該作者
If you plan to get into top tier university, it is not fun anymore. I know a lot of kids in IS ( HK and other countries top ten IS), all the students (doesn;t matter from where) are also very concern on acedemic result as this is the "key" to university.

原文章由 mattsmum 於 08-6-7 12:42 發表
he is a tyopical hong kong boy who thinks the purpose of schooling is to fight with the exam system. if you read his articles everyday, you can see that.

he does not seem to think learning is for joy ...

4#
發表於 08-6-7 21:46 |只看該作者
原文章由 matthewdad 於 08-6-7 20:11 發表
If you plan to get into top tier university, it is not fun anymore. I know a lot of kids in IS ( HK and other countries top ten IS), all the students (doesn;t matter from where) are also very concern  ...

IS students are generally more active and all-rounded.  If they want to get into top Us,  they need to show outstanding performance in all areas - sports, music, service, academics etc.  Exam results are important but IS students do not spend all time in studying, they spend a lot of time in doing other activities and researches.  They do have a lot of fun out of these.

5#
發表於 08-6-8 16:24 |只看該作者
All the excellent one are more active and all-round (in IS or Local school). The average one has choice to spend more time on acedemic (or spend more time to do the project under IB scheme)=> cannot afford too much time on activities. Those below average one is neither good in acedemic nor musical instrument/sports (in IS or local school).

原文章由 WYmom 於 08-6-7 21:46 發表

IS students are generally more active and all-rounded.  If they want to get into top Us,  they need to show outstanding performance in all areas - sports, music, service, academics etc.  Exam result ...

[ 本文章最後由 matthewdad 於 08-6-8 22:08 編輯 ]

6#
發表於 08-6-9 16:58 |只看該作者
Agreed. Most parents sending the kids to IS thought that theirs kids can have learning with fun, good in academic and musci and/or sport and of course - be able to enter top US university.  But I think not really a high percentage of IS students (same as elite local schools) belong to this top tier.

原文章由 matthewdad 於 08-6-8 16:24 發表
All the excellent one are more active and all-round (in IS or Local school). The average one has choice to spend more time on acedemic (or spend more time to do the project under IB scheme)=> cannot a ...

[ 本文章最後由 木土土 於 08-6-9 17:00 編輯 ]

7#
發表於 08-6-9 19:08 |只看該作者
原文章由 木土土 於 08-6-9 16:58 發表
Agreed. Most parents sending the kids to IS thought that theirs kids can have learning with fun, good in academic and musci and/or sport and of course - be able to enter top US university.  But I thin ...

I see that most kids in IS (real ones) do enjoy very much their school life.  Your kid is studying in local school, how do you know if  "not really a high percentage of IS students (same as elite local schools) belong to this top tier"??

[ 本文章最後由 WYmom 於 08-6-9 19:52 編輯 ]

8#
發表於 08-6-9 22:46 |只看該作者
Top one have excellent achivement but ~30%-40% of kids from IS (ESF or GSIS or other IS) cannot get a place for A Level or equivalent.  

原文章由 WYmom 於 08-6-9 19:08 發表

I see that most kids in IS (real ones) do enjoy very much their school life.  Your kid is studying in local school, how do you know if  "not really a high percentage of IS students (same as elite lo ...

9#
發表於 08-6-10 06:56 |只看該作者
原文章由 matthewdad 於 08-6-9 22:46 發表
Top one have excellent achivement but ~30%-40% of kids from IS (ESF or GSIS or other IS) cannot get a place for A Level or equivalent.  

I don't know how you get such data but I think there is no surprise.  I think it is common sense that getting into IS or even into those top elite local schools never guarantee students to get top results or top Us.  ESF even does not select students based on academics at all.  Getting good academic results really depends on the students' abilities.  But IS does offer a lot of all-rounded acitivities and help the students to improve their academics.  Students enjoy their school lives much and are more active generally.  Of course some kids do not study or care about their academics and so won't be able to get good results.  In IS, there are always mix of band 1 to 3 students.  Parents play a very important role in shaping their own kids.

Re the subject topic and the passage quoted by 木土土 , the student switched from local school to Li Po Chung for IBD did not understand IS at all.  This school is the top IBD school with only F.6 and 7.  It only takes in top students from local exams.  The essence of this school is producing top students with excellent IBD results.  So it is obviously very different from the general IS.

Yesterday's news told us about a mother expecting her girl getting into top American Us and will become an investment banker in future as the girl just gets a seat in MCS through the lucky draw.  I think her school life will be quite miserable under such an expectation from the parents.

Your call.

[ 本文章最後由 WYmom 於 08-6-10 07:36 編輯 ]

10#
發表於 08-6-10 08:01 |只看該作者
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

11#
發表於 08-6-10 08:37 |只看該作者
原文章由 thankful 於 08-6-10 08:01 發表
I am not sure as to what matthewdad meant by "not getting a place for A Level or equivalent".  If failing the A Level is what he meant, then I am a bit surprised.  In a class of 20 pupils, he is sayin ...

thankful,

Agree with you.  I don't think there are 30-40% students in IS failing A level.  It is very easy to verify from the past records on various IS' websites.

Anyway, I guess we all know that learning in English does not mean getting good results.  Getting into top Us is not what IS for.  I would expect IS more to provide good quality all-rounded education and global visions.

12#
發表於 08-6-10 12:10 |只看該作者
The statement should be "the O level grade is not good enough to be accept to study A level course".ie. no chance to take A Level exam. A lot of them  become NAT teacher in Kinder..

原文章由 thankful 於 08-6-10 08:01 發表
I am not sure as to what matthewdad meant by "not getting a place for A Level or equivalent".  If failing the A Level is what he meant, then I am a bit surprised.  In a class of 20 pupils, he is sayin ...

[ 本文章最後由 matthewdad 於 08-6-10 12:11 編輯 ]

13#
發表於 08-6-10 20:34 |只看該作者
I also think that most kids in IS (real ones) do enjoy very much their school life even my kids are not studying in IS.

Every one may have different definition of 'really a high percentage' and 'top tier group'. I've already stated my definition of 'this top tier'.  

When you talked about something of local school, can I challenge your statement just because your kid is studying in IS ?

原文章由 WYmom 於 08-6-9 19:08 發表

I see that most kids in IS (real ones) do enjoy very much their school life.  Your kid is studying in local school, how do you know if  "not really a high percentage of IS students (same as elite lo ...

[ 本文章最後由 木土土 於 08-6-10 21:10 編輯 ]

14#
發表於 08-6-10 21:02 |只看該作者

15#
發表於 08-6-10 21:39 |只看該作者
原文章由 木土土 於 08-6-10 20:34 發表
I also think that most kids in IS (real ones) do enjoy very much their school life even my kids are not studying in IS.

Every one may have different definition of 'really a high percentage' and 'top  ...

Yes, you can, if you have doubt.  Actually, my kids have studied in local school before too.  I also know much about your kid's school too as my nephew is studying there.  As you said, everyone has different definition on those words "high" or "low", it will be better if you can give some nos. for discussion.  Thanks.

[ 本文章最後由 WYmom 於 08-6-10 21:56 編輯 ]

16#
發表於 08-6-10 22:16 |只看該作者
Do you read my previous message of the top tier definition ?

"good in academic and music and/or sport and of course - be able to enter top US university"

Just for the last criteria, I think it is common sense that not really high percentage of students (even IS) can enter  top US university. If you disagree, it will be better if you can give some nos. for discussion.  Thanks.

原文章由 WYmom 於 08-6-10 21:39 發表

Yes, you can, if you have doubt.  Actually, my kids have studied in local school before too.  I also know much about your kid's school too as my nephew is studying there.  As you said, everyone has  ...

17#
發表於 08-6-10 22:59 |只看該作者
For O Level C is passing grade, ie. GSIS got passing rate of 98.5%, West Island got passing rate of  91.3%, South island got passing rate of 88.1%. It is needed to get good grade to get to A Level course.

原文章由 thankful 於 08-6-10 21:02 發表
I see.  You meant some 30% to 40% of kids from IS (ESF or GSIS or other IS) cannot make it to the 6th Form because their O level grades are not good enough.  But GSIS's website shows that in 2007, 98. ...

[ 本文章最後由 matthewdad 於 08-6-10 23:05 編輯 ]

18#
發表於 08-6-10 23:15 |只看該作者
I don't know how much you know about my kid's school. But it seems not related to this topic, what's the point of quoting this   ? It makes me feel that if I talk further more about IS which you disagree, you are ready to fight back by what you know about my kid's school. It's just my own feeling. You may not really mean it.

原文章由 WYmom 於 08-6-10 21:39 發表
.. I also know much about your kid's school too as my nephew is studying there. ...

19#
發表於 08-6-10 23:24 |只看該作者

20#
發表於 08-6-11 01:51 |只看該作者
Grading is A*, A, B,C (passing grade is C)
Most UK university only give offers for those has at least got 5As or more in O level (passing grade such as B or C is not good enough). Top tier UK university expect 4 A*s+ in O level (the also send letter to exam broad to check the actual marks as too many student get same grade with a lot of A or A*).
It is simialr to HK system (virtuall same as English Education system), it is hardly find any place in F6 if you only get 5-6 subjects with E grade in HKCEE.(or even D or C grade).

原文章由 thankful 於 08-6-10 23:24 發表
That's right.  They leave school for all sorts of reasons and that's why it's futile to compare the number of pupils remaining after O levels.  But I also got the another set of figures that might hel ...
‹ 上一主題|下一主題