教育王國 討論區 國際學校 RC Yr 6 Math. test result
發新帖
查看: 2700|回覆: 10
go

RC Yr 6 Math. test result [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 07-12-19 15:09 |只看該作者 |倒序瀏覽 |打印
Hi,

My kid scored below 50% in the Math test last week  , even though she got very good remarks from her class teacher  on the same subject last year.   The material being tested was taught since Nov.

I met and wrote to the class teacher to ask for the average (mean) and median score but she refused to disclose  to avoid comparison between students. The message I got from the teacher was , we did not follow the math development of my kid good enough and therefore, the kid's Math skill does not match the expection.

I admitt that to a certain extent and is trying to review all the Math classwork and homework with her again. However, I was never informed by her teacher that she has any problem in her Math homework until we  need to sign on the test paper to acknowlege the score she got. The teacher said, it is the parents responsibility to follow the homework and check if the kid has reached the level of expectation. Again, I have to admitt that we should be responsible partially for that.

From my own sources, I know my girl's peers score between 30%-60% and another class in year 6 scored average  about 50% .

I hope people reading this post would agree that the test score (check point) is not just a measuring tool for the students, it is also a measuring tool to the teacher and the curriculum being taught. If most year 6 kids did score below the expectation, I think the school need to offer some remedies on that instead of just asking the  parents to read the expections described in the modified school website and help their kids  to achieve that.

I am not trying to blame anyone for my girl's poor Math test result since it only covers material that was taught in last month and I am pretty sure I can help her to catch up within a week!  

In fact, it alarms us at an early stage that even if you do not receive any comments from the class teachers about your kid acadamic development, just don't think they are ok automatically!

However, I am horrified by the "bureacratic" tone from the class teacher's reply , who also copied the email to PYP head and other senior  staffs in PYP. If I do not receive any other email from the other senior staffs of PYP, I would tend to consider that as an official reply from the school.

Share responsibility , right? 20% teacher , 30% students and 50%  parents?

Please share your opinion on this.

Thanks.
   0    0    0    0

2#
發表於 07-12-19 18:15 |只看該作者

回覆 #1 acdad 的文章

Seems that this is an internal assessment of PYP.  This was not used in my daughter's ESF school in her Y6 last year.  In ESF school, Y5 and Y6 students join the public UK assessment for English and Maths by June and parents don't know the exact score results, but will know if the kid is above average or not.  There is comparison of the school's results vs the general public but there is no comparison among the class.

I think maybe you need to understand more the assessment system of RC under IB and discuss with the teacher how to help the kid to improve.  In ESF schools, some kids have to repeat Y6 if they do not reach the expected standard.  So parents do need to monitor and help the kids to reach the expected standard.

3#
發表於 07-12-19 21:15 |只看該作者
Thanks for the feedback and info  but the test  score for a month learning  is relatively trivial when comparing to the teacher's defensive feedback. I was looking for a proactive and open discussion with the teacher as partners and try to help to find out the main cause but not the ultimate party who would act as the QA for the school.

If my kid is the only one has the problem, we should focus on her and ourselves. If the majority of the class has the same problem and not in other classes in year 6, we  should focus on her  teacher. If it is a general problem in year 6, we should then focus on the curriculum.  

In RC's website, I found the following goals for our children. I  hope  teachers and parents may use that as reference too.

Students at Renaissance are:

Open-minded - They understand and appreciate their own cultures and personal
histories, and are open to the perspectives, values and traditions of other
individuals and communities. They are accustomed to seeking and evaluating a
range of points of view, and willing to grow from the experience.

Inquirers - They develop their natural curiosity. They acquire the skills
necessary to conduct inquiry and research and show independence in learning.
They actively enjoy learning and this love of learning will be sustained
throughout their lives.

Thinkers - They exercise initiative in applying thinking skills critically
and creatively to recognize and approach complex problems, and make
reasoned, ethical decisions.

原文章由 WYmom 於 07-12-19 18:15 發表
Seems that this is an internal assessment of PYP.  This was not used in my daughter's ESF school in her Y6 last year.  In ESF school, Y5 and Y6 students join the public UK assessment for English and M ...

4#
發表於 07-12-20 14:09 |只看該作者
原文章由 acdad 於 07-12-19 21:15 發表
Thanks for the feedback and info  but the test  score for a month learning  is relatively trivial when comparing to the teacher's defensive feedback. I was looking for a proactive and open discussion  ...

acdad,

Agree with you.  Maybe you can discuss with some other parents of year 6 students in RC and see if they have similar concern and have a meeting with the teachers and PYP co-ordinators.

The goals you quoted are the general goals for students under IB programs.  For each subject, there should be specific objectives and expectations for students in different years.

[ 本文章最後由 WYmom 於 07-12-20 14:12 編輯 ]

5#
發表於 07-12-20 16:37 |只看該作者
原文章由 acdad 於 07-12-19 21:15 發表
If my kid is the only one has the problem, we should focus on her and ourselves. If the majority of the class has the same problem and not in other classes in year 6, we  should focus on her  teacher. If it is a general problem in year 6, we should then focus on the curriculum.  

I know people from quite some other years (including secondary). Unfortunately, I do not know anyone in Year 6. No parents I know have big concerns regarding academic situation. Never heard from parents that everyone in one class or everyone in the whole year scores low. If that is really happening in Year 6 math, you need to find out why.  I know that some teachers purposely made a test very difficult in order to sort students into different levels. Some teachers also purposely make a test long to check how fast students can do the work. So you need to know the who purpose behind the test itself.

So far, most people I know are happy with the school. There are complains, but they are mostly administrative issues (eg uniform shop, book shop, primary pick up procedures, cafeteria etc) rather than the teaching part. So far, I have not really heard complaints of individual teachers or their teaching methodology.

I think, for your case, the best thing to do is go to Max Muller or Chiqui Colet the first thing in the morning tomorrow and discuss your concerns. Better not let your concerns haunt you for the whole Christmas holidays.

6#
發表於 07-12-20 17:27 |只看該作者
原文章由 WYmom 於 07-12-19 18:15 發表
some kids have to repeat Y6 if they do not reach the expected standard.

唔係話學校分小組,不同水平的教嗎?
又話因材施教,讀了 6 年,有問題應該一早知,一早諗辦法幫學生,唔係到 6 年級先話,你唔達標,要留班。
我覺得好離譜。

7#
發表於 07-12-20 20:43 |只看該作者
WYmom and JennyL,

Thanks for the inputs. Actually, I have started the discussion with MM and CC in email in the last 2 days and would meet MM after the holiday.

Sometimes, I really hope  if RAPT or the school can create a platform on internet so that some kinds of info sharing/discussions should  stay within the RC community.  But I also understand practically, the authority normally would not encourage/welcome discussion forum in the school or RAPT website due to various concerns.

I know there is a section (IB PYP overall expections)   in the  school website which list out the overall expectations in Language based on the IBO Scope and Sequence documents.

But for Math, which is quantitative in nature, should we also list out all the formulaes related and assign related work sheets instead of asking the students and parents to bear the responsibility to explore,  interpret and measure if the students can match the expectation based on what is being  decribed  in the following paragraphs under  "measurement"?

]-->estimate, measure, label and compare perimeter, area and volume using formal methods and standards of units of measurement

]-->develop procedures for finding perimeter, area and volume and recognize the relationship between them

In my opinion, the homework assign to student also serve as a check point. Just assigning conceptual homework in Math is not enough.

Students and parents would be confused if worksheets are not given for repeated practices. And that would bring out another issues, who would check/grade the homeworks done by the students? I am not just talking about if the arents  are willing to do that or not, but if we are capable of doing that correctly.

原文章由 JennyL 於 07-12-20 16:37 發表

I know people from quite some other years (including secondary). Unfortunately, I do not know anyone in Year 6. No parents I know have big concerns regarding academic situation. Never heard from pa ...

8#
發表於 08-1-10 21:20 |只看該作者
原文章由 acdad 於 07-12-20 20:43 發表
WYmom and JennyL,

Thanks for the inputs. Actually, I have started the discussion with MM and CC in email in the last 2 days and would meet MM after the holiday.

Sometimes, I really hope  if RAPT or ...

acdad,

Do you mind telling me what feedback you have got from MM?

Thanks.
Jenny L

9#
發表於 08-1-10 22:09 |只看該作者
acdad,

I'd also like to know the development of this case. Hope it's on the right track now.

10#
發表於 08-1-14 21:11 |只看該作者
Hi,

I have met MM today and as expected, messages I got can be interpreted in either direction.

I heard that  someone has sent an anonymous letter to other RC parents about the test score issue. Does anyone know what's that about?

11#
發表於 08-1-14 22:02 |只看該作者
acdad,

Do you mind telling us what MM said?

Anonymous letter? Not heard of this at all.

[ 本文章最後由 JennyL 於 08-1-14 22:03 編輯 ]
‹ 上一主題|下一主題