密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 海外留學 USA high school
樓主: kaan
go

USA high school [複製鏈接]

61#
發表於 08-9-24 11:37 |只看該作者
What does AP stand for?   Should I let my girl sit for the SSAT earlier to check for her test result before targeting schools of her range?  

I'm also targeting schools of the North Eastern part as it's closer to Canada where my relatives live.  

原帖由 kkbbkk 於 08-9-23 21:42 發表
....Whether a school is of quality can be seen from a no of factors:

a) College placement (i.e. how many students go to decent or Ivy League or good university. Normally for private high school, almost all students can go to universities. Thus which U they go to is more important).
b) How many no of AP subjects the school offer. Usually the more AP , the better the school. But it is not a must. Some are very good even they offer 6-8 AP subjects.
e  ...

62#
發表於 08-9-24 20:16 |只看該作者
AP courses are university-level courses in a variety of subject areas that students can take while still in high school. Earning AP means that a student could skip the introductory class in this subject at a univesity and enter a higher - level university class. In addition, universities in many countries recognize AP as a verification of rigorous academic coursework in secondary school to inform admissions decisions.

At the conclusion of an AP course, students have the opportunity to take the corresponding AP exams. They're graded on a scle of 1 to 5.

So imagine what kinds of exam a student should take in the state before going into U.

a) internal graudation exam
b) SAT (Maths, Critical Reading and Writing)
c) SAT II (required for two subjects normally)
d) AP subjects (not mandatory but recommendable).

From that you will know that curriculum in the States is highly demanding and rigorous. Those who choose this path for their children have to prepare their children to take an ardurous journey.

63#
發表於 08-9-25 13:48 |只看該作者
Dear kkbbkk,

Thanks very much for your clear explanation.  I'll see what I can get on Nov. 2 and then plan for the next step.  In the mean time, please keep me informed if you have any information that you think may be useful.  Thanks so much.

One more question - would it be too early if I let my girl take SSAT now?

原帖由 kkbbkk 於 08-9-24 20:16 發表
AP courses are university-level courses in a variety of subject areas that students can take while still in high school. Earning AP means that a student could skip the introductory class in this subje ...
‹ 上一主題|下一主題