搜索
教育王國 討論區 海外留學 USA high school
樓主: kaan
go

USA high school [複製鏈接]

41#
發表於 08-1-14 15:21 |只看該作者
Dear Kaan,

My son is studying in F2. I plan to send him to the Stete next year for Grade 10.

However recently, he urged me to send him overseas this coming Sept. But I am not that prepared for sending him this year as 1) he did not attend the SSAT yet (those school not require SSAT are not that good) 2) most of the schools are approaching deadline and I don't think I can enough have time to apply for them. (at least need to apply for 4-6 school to play safe).

I am thinking of sending him to ths UK for this year and then transferring him to the State in 09. Applying for a UK school can go through  or rely an agency (agencies for UK schools are far better than those for US schools in HK) and thus can expedite the process. If he can enter into a top 100 UK high school, I will send him in this coming Aug / Sept, otherwise my son will wait until next year for the US high school.

I have been monitoring the syllabus of HK vs UK and US. I notice that HK syllabus are far lag behind in Science and History/Geography (collectively Humanities) subjects. My son worries that the later he goes studying overseas, the harder he has to catch up with these subjects, in addidtion to English Language.

42#
發表於 08-1-14 16:47 |只看該作者
hi kkbbkk,

小女最初是考慮申請往UK, 因為UK的學校總體上較嚴謹, 她有幾個好朋友正在英國讀書。可是大部份UK top的學校, 都沒有offer助學金, 除非有特殊才藝, 才可獲部份奬學金, 因此她放棄了。

據我所知, 若要申請08年9月往UK入學的話, 於07年底已經截止了, 是嗎? 因為她有些同學已在去年底前申請, interview, 並已知結果了。

原文章由 kkbbkk 於 08-1-14 15:21 發表
Dear Kaan,

My son is studying in F2. I plan to send him to the Stete next year for Grade 10.

However recently, he urged me to send him overseas this coming Sept. But I am not that prepared for sendi ...

43#
發表於 08-1-14 17:05 |只看該作者
Dear Kaan,

Thanks for your info.
If it is really the case (i.e. past deadline for application), I will re-focus on the US. Frankly speaking, studying in the State is our primary goal.

You are lucky and it is really a blessing that your kid is so smart to be able to apply for the scholarship. My bottom is get my son into a more-than-decent high school. To pay for his tuition, I have to continue to work instead of retiring early.

44#
發表於 08-1-14 17:22 |只看該作者
hi kkbbkk,

雖然我每天努力工作, 但仍未能負擔得起送孩子出國讀書的費用。
申請只是申請, 極有可能, 最後她還是要乖乖的留在HK讀書, 目前她還是要認真地去應付會考。

你兒子幸福得多, 有你們一早為他準備。

GOOD LUCK!

45#
發表於 08-1-15 00:20 |只看該作者
good school in east coast next to top notchs like Phillips Academy, Choate Rosemary Hall and Deerdield, you can consider : -

-  Dana Hall  ( MA )
  -  St Mark's  ( MA )
  -  Northfield Mount Hermon  ( MA )
  -  Pomfret   (  CT )
  -  LoomisChaffee  ( CT )

原文章由 kkbbkk 於 08-1-13 14:34 發表

Dear Kaan,

Having read this topic for sometime and only then do I have time to reply.

I plan to send my son to study in East Coast next year, year 10 and I conducted some research as well.

No d ...

46#
發表於 08-1-15 13:37 |只看該作者
Dear中天英:

Thank for your info.

Dear Kaan,

Wish your daughter be admitted to one of the good school with scholarship so that we can continue to chat here.

47#
發表於 08-1-15 14:45 |只看該作者
Dear kkbbkk,

謝謝你.

我想有些經驗不是那麼容易, 在剛好時間和機緣下有人可以跟自己分享, 給自已作參考及準備:

昨日 Phillips Andover 在HK 有個tea meeting,  主要邀請申請08年入讀的學生作初步見面, 同時介紹一下學校及安排接下來在HK的interview. The head of admission department 說, 他們要求ssat成績十分之高, 要有93%才會考慮. 另外, 就算成績逹到要求, 還須看學生品行, 這是另一要求, 他們選學生是十分嚴謹.
昨天所見, 申請學生約20個左右, 大部份是int'l school student. local school student 只得幾人, 也許有些沒有穿校, 我沒認出來.

希望上述資料, 對你有幫助. good luck too!

48#
發表於 08-1-15 16:23 |只看該作者
Hello Kaan,

真係唔知原來美國的 high school 都在香港會有interview,我仲以為出名的U先會有!

想問下你見的local school 學生係咪都係名校生?

還有考SSAT 係咪按年齡組別架?  

原文章由 kaan 於 08-1-15 14:45 發表
Dear kkbbkk,

謝謝你.

我想有些經驗不是那麼容易, 在剛好時間和機緣下有人可以跟自己分享, 給自已作參考及準備:

昨日 Phillips Andover 在HK 有個tea meeting,  主要邀請申請08年入讀的學生作初步見面, 同時介紹 ...

[ 本文章最後由 Goody 於 08-1-15 16:26 編輯 ]

49#
發表於 08-1-15 17:13 |只看該作者
Dear Kaan and Goody,

St Mark's conducted their interview in Oct/Nov 07. If Goody, you are preparing for your kid to go, you have to check for the website of each school for their interview dates. Some do have an Asia tour.

I can tell you that not only us (I presume our kids are in local school)  are targetting to send our kids to top high school. Friends of mind whose sons/daughters are in int'l also planning (some has sent) to do so. The reason being that the chance of getting into Ivy League U / HYP is higher if you are from good US high school. Hence, competitions are really keen for good schools. Bearing in mind that we are not competing among HK students but internationally. I was told that in recent years, Korean students are really strong academically.

To aim high, I will initially target those schools like Philips, Deerfield. To be realistic, I think I have to settle for less.

As for SSAT, marks required for entry is different for differnt grades/age. No matter what, SSAT is by no mean a easy exam.

Kaan,
If your daughter is in F5, another alternative is to ask her to work hard. I am sure that she can get good Cert results, then she can be accepted as 尖子/Elite not only by local U, but US U as well.

50#
發表於 08-1-15 17:40 |只看該作者
Dear goody,

我所見的local student, 看他們校服, 均是名校生.

Dear kkbbkk,

我已經日哦夜哦呀女, 應付完這兩星期的面試, 趕快收拾心情, 回到會考路上. 畢竟, 這是她較有把握的.
謝謝您.

51#
發表於 08-1-15 18:26 |只看該作者
原文章由 kkbbkk 於 08-1-14 15:21 發表
Dear Kaan,

However recently, he urged me to send him overseas this coming Sept. But I am not that prepared for sendi ...

Hi kkbbkk;

Would like to confirm you said your son is taking F2 and going to apply Grade 10 next year or this year in states.

52#
發表於 08-1-15 19:04 |只看該作者
Dear kkbbkk,

Thanks for your info.  Please do let me know if you have further news.  That means if I want to aim for grade 10 in the States, I need my girl to attend interviews end of this year?  

I don't know much about high schools in the States.  I prefer schools in the North East.  Heard that they are better and students from those schools could get in better Universities.

53#
發表於 08-1-15 19:32 |只看該作者
Dear Goody,

My son is same as your daughter, now studying form 2 and will apply for Grade 10 for the school year 09/2010.

Interviews will be conducted from Oct this year till Easter next years. Different schools have different dates for interview.

Son of my friend (seldom in touch now) flight to the State for the interviews (4-5 schools) during Easter Holiday last year.

Go to the website
www.boardingschoolreview.com
for more info.

Some suggest me to send my son to the West Coast, saying that students there are richer and hope that my son can marry a wealthy girl. (just kidding). No doubt, on average, U in the East Coast are better.

I concentrate my research on states like MA, CT, New York, or even New Hampshire.

54#
發表於 08-1-15 19:56 |只看該作者
Dear kkbbkk,

My girl is F1 now so your son's school hunting info is just right for me   When is your son taking SSAT and TOEFL? I've heard that there are courses for SSAT, will your join if there is such course?  I've seen some SAT books in bookshores but not SSAT.  I may ask my relatives to send me from the States.  

Really nice could chat with you.  You are so knowledgeable!  

原文章由 kkbbkk 於 08-1-15 19:32 發表
Dear Goody,

My son is same as your daughter, now studying form 2 and will apply for Grade 10 for the school year 09/2010.

Interviews will be conducted from Oct this year till Easter next years. Diff ...

55#
發表於 08-1-15 20:47 |只看該作者
Dear Goody,

Go to the www.ssat.org website to find out the test schedule. As far as I can remember, April is the closest test in HK. It will be held more frequest from Aug to Dec.

For the SSAT book, just go to Swindon, Dymock and other big book store to buy. (easy to find one).

There are classes out there for SSAT, organized by Princeton and Kaplan. I don't know whether they are good or not.

I mainly use the SSAT study pack to teach my son.

56#
發表於 08-9-22 20:52 |只看該作者
Hello kkbbkk,

Have you started the school hunt for your son yet?  Can you PM the details, if you have any?  When should I start the process if I plan to let my girl go in 2010 summer?   Wish to receive your rsponse soon

57#
發表於 08-9-23 16:24 |只看該作者
Dear Goody,

I have been conducting research on high schools all along. I identified a batch of them to apply but after checking with my friend, I found that I have to  re-identified a lower tier batch of schools for application.

The reasons is that competition is realy keen. Son of my friend had SSAT level achieving >80% and he was from good international school with good results, he can only entered Kent last year. I have a feeling that unless the student is very smart in terms of results and there are special relationship (sibling or alumni) or donation???, it is very difficult to get into top tier (top 20, may be) schools.

Institute of International School (a non-profit making organization) will hold a fair on 2 Nov in HK. There are TABS (www.schools.com) member schools to participate. You can get a lot of info from there.

If Kaan is happen to be here, can you share with us the application experience of your girl for us?

58#
發表於 08-9-23 19:53 |只看該作者
Dear kkbbkk,

So happy to see your response!!   I'll visit the site you gave and have a detail check.(just registered)   Thanks so much.   

I don't think my girl can get into the top tier schools as she's just an ordinary student from a local English school.  I would be more than happy if she can get into the second tier.  How do you get the ranking of schools in the States?  I've found a Taiwan site which has the school ranking for 2008 http://www.urwinner.net/ranking/2008/08bs.htm Is it same as yours?  

Has your son taken any SSAT yet?  Do I need to identify schools before taking the test?  What to prepare for the test?  Sorry for so many questions at one time as I hope you'll be my 盲公竹if you don't mind.

[ 本帖最後由 Goody 於 08-9-23 20:04 編輯 ]

59#
發表於 08-9-23 21:42 |只看該作者
There are many criteria to rank a school. Apart from the webpage you rely on, there are books you can purchase
http://www.prepreview.com/ranking/us/high_schools.php

It is not required to sit for the SSAT before identify schools. Normally, for those from local school (unless you are top student from co-ed or dbs), don't think of top 50 schools. Do concentrate on those which will offer English as Secondary Language (esl) programme. These schools are normally not so demanding on Eng requirements upon admission.

Whether a school is of quality can be seen from a no of factors:

a) College placement (i.e. how many students go to decent or Ivy League or good university. Normally for private high school, almost all students can go to universities. Thus which U they go to is more important).
b) How many no of AP subjects the school offer. Usually the more AP , the better the school. But it is not a must. Some are very good even they offer 6-8 AP subjects.
c) SAT score of the students.
d) SSAT required score (percentile). Good schools demand high SSAT score.
e) Acceptance Rate

Try the www.boardingschoolreview.com web, which you can compare the school you choose with National Average. You can order Peterson's Private Secondary School via Amazon for reference as well.

I will predict for those from local school like our kids should focus on those schools with the acceptance rate reaches 60 - 70%.

60#
發表於 08-9-23 22:17 |只看該作者
By the way, US East is renowned for culture and education. More good schools are located in Massachusette, Pennslyvia, Connecticut, New Hampshire and New Jersey(NY up state).
‹ 上一主題|下一主題