密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 want my daughter to study in IS
查看: 3703|回覆: 29
go

want my daughter to study in IS [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 07-9-6 21:23 |只看該作者 |倒序瀏覽 |打印
My daugter is now studying in traditionl primary school P.5 with top rank in the grade.  

I have been seeing a lot of comments and opionions in
this section regarding the "good & bad" of IS.  My daughter loves to study English a lot and she said that it would be good to study in any English speaking school..... obviously IS is a good choice.

However, my husband feels that my daughter might not be able to adapt herself in this totally new learning environment and that we are unable to make up our mind.  My husband also worries that the syllabus of IS might not be able to fit into local one if she decides to go into local university.

Our targeting IS is KGV.

Any comments will be greatly appreciated.
   0    0    0    0

2#
發表於 07-9-6 22:54 |只看該作者
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

3#
發表於 07-9-7 07:24 |只看該作者
原文章由 asdfasdf 於 07-9-6 21:23 硐表
My daugter is now studying in traditionl primary school P.5 with top rank in the grade.  

this section regarding the "good & bad" of IS.  My daug ...

It is very difficult for non-ESF students to get into KGV or SC at Year 7 or 8 now as they no longer receive applications from outside in the recent years.  All places are filled up by ESF primary students.

It is also very difficult to get int HKIS or CIS.  So maybe you can consider those DSS or famous local schools which are using local exam system and fit more into local Us.

[ 本文章最後由 WYmom 於 07-9-7 08:13 編輯 ]

4#
發表於 07-9-7 07:59 |只看該作者

this section regarding the "good & bad" of IS.  My daug ...

我大兒子的經驗: P5 (11歲左右) 轉讀IS是不錯的時機. 太晚(14歲左右)英文可能很難趕上. 太早(8,9歲)中文基礎會差很多.

如果將來你女兒會去英美讀頂尖大學, 讀IS是正確的選擇. 好處一大堆, 壞處只有一個, 就是中文會差點. 當然香港IS間間不同, 我所指的是好的那幾間.

5#
發表於 07-9-7 08:17 |只看該作者
原文章由 阿胡 於 07-9-7 07:59 硐表

如果將來你女兒會去英美讀頂尖大學, 讀IS是正確的選擇. 好處一大堆, 壞處只有一個, 就是中 ...

Hi, 阿胡,

Long time no talk!  Actually now the Chinese standard in IS may not be lower than local schools.  In SC and KGV, the top group of Chinese students will take 1st language GCSE Chinese at year 11 and will target to do the Bilingual IBD at year 13, ie. achieving native language standard in both Chinese and English.

But P.5 in local school has to apply Year 7 in famous IS, chance of getting in is very low.  But will be easier to enter Renaissance College or Discovery College as they are new and need to take in a lot of students from outside.

[ 本文章最後由 WYmom 於 07-9-7 08:31 編輯 ]

6#
發表於 07-9-7 09:01 |只看該作者
原文章由 WYmom 於 07-9-7 08:17 硐表

Hi, 阿胡,

Long time no talk!  Actually now the Chinese standard in IS may not be lower than local schools.  In SC and KGV, the top group of Chinese students will take 1st language GCSE Chinese at y ...

真是希望如此呀. 哈哈.

我大兒子11歲轉讀IS後, 經過三年辛苦, 總算過了英文這道關, 謝天謝地! 但他覺得還是有小小差距. 估計像他這樣在香港長大的孩子, 盡管英文是第一語言, 但文化上同英美長大的小孩還是有不同. 這個小小差距可能是文化上的, 而不是語言上的. 這點上他本人也說不清楚.

因為大兒子的堅持, 小兒子在剛讀完中文小學小一後, 今年轉到ESF讀P3.  當然希望ESF能多提供一些中文時間. 實話說, 很難抱大希望.

讀CIS可能最好, 但學費交不起. :(

[ 本文章最後由 阿胡 於 07-9-7 09:03 編輯 ]

7#
發表於 07-9-7 09:14 |只看該作者
原文章由 阿胡 於 07-9-7 09:01 硐表

真是希望如此呀. 哈哈.

我大兒子11歲轉讀IS後, 經過三年辛苦, 總算過了英文這道關, 謝天謝地! 但他覺得還是有小小差距. 估計像他這樣在香港長大的孩子, 盡管英文是第一語言, 但文化上同英美長大的小孩還是有不同. ...

ESF primary also will increase Chinese classes since Y3, heard that they have daily Chinese this year, is it true?  As I know, they will streamline the students into different standard groups, and only the top standard group may be able to do bilingual IBD at the end.

My elder kid at Y7 is in the top group now and she is studying F.1 Chinese textbooks of local school.  It is not easy at all (as she in fact should be P.6 level in local school), especially all conducted in Mandarin.

If you want to develop your younger kid with better Chinese, may need to supplement him or her with some extra Chinese classes after school in primary.  I am doing the same with my younger kid as well.

Nice to chat with you.

8#
發表於 07-9-7 09:26 |只看該作者

However, my husband feels that my daughter might not be able to adapt herself in this totally new learning environment and that we are unable to make up our mind.  My husband also worries that the syllabus of IS might not be able to fit into local one if she decides to go into local university.

一開始一定有困難. 如果出現問題, 要多鼓勵, 少責怪. 有時刻孩子的問題並不一定以學習有困難而直接表現出來的, 而是以其他間接的形式表現出來, 像性格變壞啦或不想讀書啦, 等等. 你女兒是中文學校的好學生, 只要給她三年時間, 一定不會有問題的.

至於讀本地大學的問題, 有不少位都講起過, 香港本地大學都有一套規定. 錄取non-jupas學生已是各間大學每年的正常途徑之一. 他們的網站有詳細介紹.

[ 本文章最後由 阿胡 於 07-9-7 09:57 編輯 ]

9#
發表於 07-9-7 09:48 |只看該作者
原文章由 WYmom 於 07-9-7 09:14 硐表

ESF primary also will increase Chinese classes since Y3, heard that they have daily Chinese this year, is it true?  As I know, they will streamline the students into different standard groups, and only the top standard group may be able to do bilingual IBD at the end.

My elder kid at Y7 is in the top group now and she is studying F.1 Chinese textbooks of local school.  It is not easy at all (as she in fact should be P.6 level in local school), especially all conducted in Mandarin.

If you want to develop your younger kid with better Chinese, may need to supplement him or her with some extra Chinese classes after school in primary.  I am doing the same with my younger kid as well.

Nice to chat with you.

至少我孩子讀的這間ESF并非每日都有中文. 目前週末讓他補上中文課. 但效果同中文小學有天壤之別.

魚同熊掌, 不可兼得. :(

10#
發表於 07-9-7 11:12 |只看該作者
原文章由 阿胡 於 07-9-7 09:48 硐表

至少我孩子讀的這間ESF并非每日都有中文. 目前週末讓他補上中文課. 但效果同中文小學有天壤之別.

魚同熊掌, 不可兼得. :(

well, I believe in 一分耕耘, 一分收穫.  I teach the kids Chinese everyday and it's more effective.

For asdfasdf's kid, if able to enter St. Paul Co-ed or DBS in secondary, kids can choose either local exam or IBD.  Creative secondary also has such option, just not sure about its quality.

11#
發表於 07-9-7 13:06 |只看該作者
阿仔剛剛在9月6日面試完 (Renaissance College - Year 4), 阿仔話好大機會收, 但是我好擔心阿仔插班會比同學"合"和好易學壞.

當初你大仔插班時, 請問有沒有擔心這個問題.

Thanks/Lily3258

]原文章由 阿胡 於 07-9-7 07:59 硐表

如果將來你女兒會去英美讀頂尖大學, 讀IS是正確的選擇. 好處一大堆, 壞處只有一個, 就是中 ... [/quote]

12#
發表於 07-9-7 14:08 |只看該作者

Renaissance College

My son transferred to RC (Year 7) from a local school this year.   He truly enjoys his school life and adapt into the school life much faster than i anticipate.   Although he has to put extra effort in england, he told me he has been get used to english as the teaching medium.

13#
發表於 07-9-7 14:29 |只看該作者
In KGV, the top groups (set 1 and the elit class) of Chinese students will take GCSE Chinese at yr9 and take ALevel Chinese at yr11. My son is now in yr8.
It is true that it is hard to get in KGV in yr7. I just received the school newsletter from CWBS (my daughter is still in primary school) and it said yr6 new comers may not had a place in KGV.

原文章由 WYmom 於 07-9-7 08:17 硐表

Hi, 阿胡,

Long time no talk!  Actually now the Chinese standard in IS may not be lower than local schools.  In SC and KGV, the top group of Chinese students will take 1st language GCSE Chinese at y ...

[ 本文章最後由 joyfung 於 07-9-7 15:44 編輯 ]

14#
發表於 07-9-7 14:39 |只看該作者
原文章由 lily3258 於 07-9-7 13:06 硐表
阿仔剛剛在9月6日面試完 (Renaissance College - Year 4), 阿仔話好大機會收, 但是我好擔心阿仔插班會比同學"合"和好易學壞.

當初你大仔插班時, 請問有沒有擔心這個問題.

Thanks/Lily3258

"好易學壞"真是好難講. 對是否在IS容易學壞, 人人都有自己的觀點, 好容易引起爭論. 但我並不覺得這是個問題, 因為我相信IS的學生父母一般都受了較好的教育. 雖然不可以說"龍生龍, 鳳生鳳, 老鼠的兒子會打洞", 但統計數字可以表明受了較好的教育的父母, 通常子女會讀書.

插班對小朋友的沖擊是很大的. 我大兒子當年大過你的兒子, 應該問題更多. Year 4相對來說不會太難. 父母有意識地幫助他, 會讓過渡順利些. 好多父母出於自己的主觀意識而不讓小朋友玩一些喜歡玩的遊戲, 例如game cards, computer games, 或由於各種原因減少參加一些team sports, 我覺得肯定會延長這一過渡過程. 我當年幫我大兒子時做得很不好. 當然我有很多籍口, 例如工作忙, 但現在真是很後悔.

15#
發表於 07-9-7 22:04 |只看該作者
Hi 阿胡

現在你的大仔是否已經適應了IS,當初你仔仔有沒有同你講想唔想轉校.

原文章由 阿胡 於 07-9-7 14:39 硐表

"好易學壞"真是好難講. 對是否在IS容易學壞, 人人都有自己的觀點, 好容易引起爭論. 但我並不覺得這是個問題, 因為我相信IS的學生父母一般都受了較好的教育. 雖然不可以說"龍生龍, 鳳生鳳, 老鼠的兒子會打洞", 但統 ...

16#
發表於 07-9-7 22:17 |只看該作者
原文章由 lily3258 於 07-9-7 22:04 硐表
Hi 阿胡

現在你的大仔是否已經適應了IS,當初你仔仔有沒有同你講想唔想轉校.

哈哈, 他現在正在美國讀大學.

當年, 他真是有一次哭著對我說, "I hate the new school!". :(

17#
發表於 07-9-8 10:05 |只看該作者
hi,阿胡,
can you share with us on the topic" how to help your child when is transfered from local school to international school"? say for a 10 year old.
:-?

18#
發表於 07-9-8 16:05 |只看該作者
Hi, 阿胡

恭喜,恭喜!

我昨天問阿仔想不想轉新校,佢話不知道,兩間學校都喜歡.RC是否有好有錢人讀?

原文章由 阿胡 於 07-9-7 22:17 硐表

哈哈, 他現在正在美國讀大學.

當年, 他真是有一次哭著對我說, "I hate the new school!". :(

19#
發表於 07-9-8 17:58 |只看該作者
My son's situation is similar....he just changed to an IS this summer from local P5 to Year 7.  So far he's enjoying alot, probably because of the freedom!!!

20#
發表於 07-9-9 00:50 |只看該作者
原文章由 cs1980 於 07-9-8 10:05 硐表
hi,阿胡,
can you share with us on the topic" how to help your child when is transfered from local school to international school"? say for a 10 year old.

真是很難回答你呀.

我大兒子是讀完P5後轉去IS讀中學一年級(美國grade 6). 當時真是糊裡糊塗的. 轉學基本上是基於兩點: 一是想讓他去美國讀大學, 二是覺得他英文同他同齡IS學生有明顯差距. 當時真是不知道讀IS會有和讀香港主流學校會有如此大的差異.

語言專家說, 兒童12歲之後就很難完全學會一門語言.  我所見到有限的例子真是個個如此, 這也可能我孤陋寡聞吧. 我大兒子11歲轉讀IS, 他的中文可能一輩子就停留在小學程度, 盡管他去年在大學還加讀了一門中國古文. 哈哈.

他在中文小學裡, 應該算是一個好學生. 中文小學同IS小學比較, 數學訓練多很多. 所以他居然在IS裡數學可以一直讀honor classes. 這是讀中文小學的另一附加好處. 至於中文小學同IS小學數學程度的比較, 又是可以爭論一通的. 我的觀點是, 如果小朋友不是數學天才, 還是多訓練些好. 但過多訓練數學也是害人. 數學天才從來都不是老師教出來的. 哈哈, 越說越遠.

你的小朋友10歲從一個local school 轉去讀IS, 困難是會有的. 但基本上一定會成功, 只不過過程同我7歲小兒子比, 會辛苦些. 我大兒子的經驗是, 一定要多鼓勵. 特別是鼓勵多和同學交朋友. 朋友多, 就會有自信心, 過渡就會順利得多. 現在再回想起我大兒子的教育, 可能最好的決定就是將他從中文學校轉到IS.

因為怕過渡過程辛苦, 小兒子就早早轉學. 結果是, 要補中文, 還要補少少數學.  

人生不如意事, 十有八九. 哈哈.

亂七八糟說一通, 見諒.

‹ 上一主題|下一主題