密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 CTY and EPGY
樓主: thankful
go

CTY and EPGY [複製鏈接]

21#
發表於 10-8-6 23:02 |只看該作者
I think you have made up your mind to go Infokids anyway, right?  

原帖由 Y2KChild 於 10-8-6 17:52 發表
Thanks for your reply and sharing.

From your description, it still can't have a solid comparison as your are still talking about 3 different courses. Maybe after you have learnt pre-calculus at GLL,  ...

22#
發表於 10-8-7 03:14 |只看該作者
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

23#
發表於 10-8-7 05:44 |只看該作者
Yes I am. And I'm a junior.

原帖由 Chole 於 10-8-6 23:00 發表
Thank you for your sharing.  It's just difficult to find someone with the experience.  I guess you are from an international school, aren't you?

24#
發表於 10-8-7 05:45 |只看該作者
I participated in the online program of CTY.

原帖由 Annie123 於 10-8-7 03:14 發表

For the CTY program, can you clarify whether you took the "online" program or the "on campus" program. THanks.

25#
發表於 10-8-7 12:04 |只看該作者
原帖由 arielle.w 於 10-8-6 14:33 發表
I have only joined one course at each center so I can't tell much about comparison betweens courses within the center.(didn't join English writing so I don't know how they conduct classes) I joined Pr ...

Hi! arielle.w,

Thank you very much for your input! Now I have a more clear picture of those programs. Actually my kid joined EGPY Maths online b4. After G5 Math,he was tired by the repetition of the exercises and quit. Do you think the same case will happen in CTY? When did you take the EGPY course? It's no longer using CD for teaching materials. My kid attended the online lectures and doing exercises afterwards every time he login. If you don't mind,could you describe a bit more on CTY program?

Thanks!

26#
發表於 10-8-8 16:08 |只看該作者
I participated in EPGY last year and I actually don't know that their teaching mode has changed!

Speaking of the quizzes and tests after lectures, of course they are essential to strengthen one's learning. The number of questions in the quizzes after CTY's lectures varies as I remember. And their questions are placed in order of difficulty. There, of course, are challenging questions but at CTY, students usually can tackle them given that they pay attention in the lecture.

I guess perhaps I get why your child are tired of all the quizzes and tests. I hated those after-lectures quizzes at EPGY also. It was because I had already lost a bit interest and got kinda bored after lectures at EPGY. Doing those questions afterwards became a 'torture' to me. Yet at CTY, I guess I was 'psyched' after ever lecture and I just couldn't wait to complete those quizzes and prove myself that I do have the ability to understand those difficult concepts which are made easy by CTY tutors. As the course I joined at CTY was self-paced, I could take as much lecture as I want at a time. Sometimes I watched the lecture videos non-stop that I completed the whole chapter in an afternoon. And the notes they provide online are really useful for review. Students have to take tests and exams at some point in the CTY program. If your child got any problem, s/he could contact the tutor at anytime. CTY gave me a feeling of school. And it's not just the usual kinda school, it's a good, caring school. I have my tutor on skype in case I need to ask him math questions. He would help me with any math problem and teach me until I completely understand. And it's not restricted only to CTY's math problems, but also math problems from school, GLL, extra exercise I had, etc. And even once, I confronted him about what course to take in high school and which path would be the best for my future, he consulted me as an academic consultant. This is something I never experienced from GLL or EPGY before.

So no matter how others think the three programs are the same, or EPGY stands out because its a Stanford program, CTY is and will always be the special one to me.

原帖由 seec 於 10-8-7 12:04 發表

Hi! arielle.w,

Thank you very much for your input! Now I have a more clear picture of those programs. Actually my kid joined EGPY Maths online b4. After G5 Math,he was tired by the repetition of the ...

27#
發表於 10-8-8 17:48 |只看該作者
According to Times's Top 200 universities, Johns Hopkins ranked slightly higher than Stanford in 2008/2009 (2010 not yet released).

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/hybrid.asp?typeCode=438

28#
發表於 10-8-9 11:09 |只看該作者

29#
發表於 10-8-9 13:08 |只看該作者
Hi arielle.w

My son is doing EPGY in HK.
How can he register for CTY? Any requirement including age as my son is just 7?

Thanks.

原帖由 arielle.w 於 10-8-8 16:08 發表
I participated in EPGY last year and I actually don't know that their teaching mode has changed!

Speaking of the quizzes and tests after lectures, of course they are essential to strengthen one's le ...

30#
發表於 10-8-9 13:45 |只看該作者
CTY is available for those Grade 2 (Pr2) and above:

http://cty.jhu.edu/ts/its.html

31#
發表於 10-8-9 18:07 |只看該作者

回復 29# Chess 的帖子

You can register for CTY courses online. I don't know the requirement details for young kids like your son. Older students have to take SAT test and enroll into the course based on their critical reading/math scores. Young students like your son probably have to take another test in order to gain admission to the program.

There is an online application system in the CTY website. The steps are easy to follow. After you submit the application, staff will contact you at once for your pending documents. After they review the test scores and all the other documents that you submit, they will send you the user ID and password  upon acceptance of your son. The tutor of your son will also contact you and give you a brief introduction of the course.

32#
發表於 10-8-10 11:58 |只看該作者
Many thanks.
Could you tell how much do the courses cost?

原帖由 arielle.w 於 10-8-9 18:07 發表
You can register for CTY courses online. I don't know the requirement details for young kids like your son. Older students have to take SAT test and enroll into the course based on their critical read ...

33#
發表於 10-8-10 12:07 |只看該作者

34#
發表於 10-8-10 13:17 |只看該作者
Thanks all.

I want to know how the students can contact their turors for the CTY course. Through e-mail or what? For EPGY, they have tutors delivering lectures in HK. For young kids, they may not be able to communicate effectively in writing.

Moreover, can anyone enlighten me if the CTR courses are accredited by overseas universities like the EPGY?

原帖由 thankful 於 10-8-10 12:07 發表
http://cty.jhu.edu/ctyonline/index.html

Go to "CTY Online-Distance Ed" on the left, you will find all the details there.

35#
發表於 10-8-10 20:19 |只看該作者
Students can contact the tutors by e-mail, phone or skype. (in my case) My tutor has tutored me privately by skype and at the virtual classroom of CTY. Basically we both log onto the virtual classroom. There is a board for the tutor to write anything for the class. We communicate by skype, which means texts and voice/cam calls. It's not much different from real classroom experience.

And yes, CTY programs are also accredited.

原帖由 Chess 於 10-8-10 13:17 發表
Thanks all.

I want to know how the students can contact their turors for the CTY course. Through e-mail or what? For EPGY, they have tutors delivering lectures in HK. For young kids, they may not be  ...

36#
發表於 10-8-11 11:41 |只看該作者
Want to share our experience with CTY - campus one!

My son went to the CTY course held in HKUST this summer.  Yes - it is expensive and the logistics of travelling to HKUST is awful.  But the course content was pretty interesting and it provided him a chance to share ideas / work with some really intelligent kids.   The instructors/assistants were friendly and really experienced.

Quite a joyful experience!

原帖由 Chole 於 10-8-6 23:02 發表
I think you have made up your mind to go Infokids anyway, right?  

37#
發表於 10-8-11 12:12 |只看該作者
Hi Cherishvalue

Is the course CTY open to all levels?  Any website for more info?

Thanks.

原帖由 Cherishvalue 於 10-8-11 11:41 發表
Want to share our experience with CTY - campus one!

My son went to the CTY course held in HKUST this summer.  Yes - it is expensive and the logistics of travelling to HKUST is awful.  But the course  ...

38#
發表於 10-8-11 12:49 |只看該作者
Summer course only for G5 and above (G9?)

Go to CTY site for details!

原帖由 Chess 於 10-8-11 12:12 發表
Hi Cherishvalue

Is the course CTY open to all levels?  Any website for more info?

Thanks.

39#
發表於 10-8-11 12:51 |只看該作者

40#
發表於 10-8-11 13:45 |只看該作者
Eleven / SCAT !!!!!
原帖由 thankful 於 10-8-11 12:51 發表
Cherishvalue,

How old is your kid?  Did he take SCAT or SAT?  
‹ 上一主題|下一主題