搜索
教育王國 討論區 小學雜談 Maryknoll Vs TSL
樓主: WaWaMom
go

Maryknoll Vs TSL [複製鏈接]

21#
發表於 04-11-17 00:37 |只看該作者

Re: Maryknoll Convent School Vs TSL

各位家長我不是惡意破壞maryknoll 的校聲而我朋友個女仍然在maryknoll讀書, 她說學校的程度比以前差,因攪珠學生水平背景比較複雜, 不像從前.
學校收取家長捐贈建造維修校舍費和汽車等, 之後有d 人順利入學.
有部分家長知道後感覺好唔公平去ICXX投訴,轉走的
學生不是成績問題, 是師資差, 加起很不滿所以轉校. 這不單一個案而我朋友正為2個愛女計劃轉校.
TSL 校聲當然遠不及maryknoll啦!!但在教學和政策進取, 可以考慮.

22#
發表於 04-11-17 07:34 |只看該作者

(TSL , ST. Mary, Goodhope, & HY , they all are not in the same level with MCS , only DGJS is in the same level .)

Really? How can you compare DGJS with MCS?
DGJS is much more high standard than MCS and others.........HA HA  

23#
發表於 04-11-17 09:01 |只看該作者

As a half educationalist (previously a secondary school teacher and now working in EMB), my sister said that MCS should be ranked on the same level as St. Mary, while honestly speaking, DGS is a bit higher in standard than the two

24#
發表於 04-11-17 09:15 |只看該作者

I totally agreed with you.  But the different between St Mary is that students and parents of St Mary are low profile while parents of MCS are rich and professionals.
I believe that MCS with such a long history and good reputation is still a good school.  
The key question for the mom who raise this topic is whether you want to take the risk and go into the r2 lucky draw.  Are you sure you will get a place.  If TSL is not your choice, why apply.  
Two years before, I apply TSL also knowing that the school has a high English standard and students are happy but my former teacher comment that it won't fit my standard, as I result, I didn't attend the interview.
You better think carefully.

25#
發表於 04-11-17 09:49 |只看該作者

I believe this is true to a certain extent.  I know a girl who succeeded in the third round through similar channel.  But whether this is called "corruption" is rather disputable. I think this also happens in other famous schools.

gigi94121 寫道:

26#
發表於 04-11-17 09:57 |只看該作者

I don't think this is corruption and I believe that all schools have such things (special channel for the friends of headmistress).

The difference is that those parents want to get a seat in MCS go to ICAC and report the case but others don't have.

I think even DGS, St Mary had and sure for those parents who cannot get a seat will think that it is not fair. But we all know in the reality, it happens in all places not only in school.

27#
發表於 04-11-17 10:13 |只看該作者

若是真的,這便是corruption。公司Compliance部門整天提醒員工注意ICAC及anti-money laundering指引,收了捐款再給好處,好像exactly是corruption。再者受政府資助,利益好處涉及公帑學位,嘿…..

我不信”I believe that all schools have such things”尤其官校,沒有公務員(校長)那麽笨吧,隨時長糧也會失掉。收good friend學生可以,收了捐款才收學生不可以。

28#
發表於 04-11-17 11:00 |只看該作者

The point is whether they got the money first before the girls entered the school or after they accepted to the school.

As I know, most of the famous school (either DBS or some others) ask for donation and usually parents will contribute some for their students studying there.

If they show their enthusiasm in school affair and contribute after they accepted the girls, I don't think they will be sentenced to guilty. But of course if they give money first, it is guilty. right?

29#
發表於 04-11-17 11:17 |只看該作者

There are many ways to “give money”.  A service provider may give a better deal or favourable terms to the school, etc.

30#
發表於 04-11-17 12:09 |只看該作者

j-ma-ma 寫道:
Two years before, I apply TSL also knowing that the school has a high English standard and students are happy but my former teacher comment that it won't fit my standard, as I result, I didn't attend the interview.
You better think carefully.

j-ma-ma,

What sort of standard you are referring to?  Your English standard?  Your standard in choosing a primary school?   

31#
發表於 04-11-17 13:05 |只看該作者

gigi94121,

It seems these are what you HEARD from others. I also know some real cases in other famous schools such as St. Paul Co-ed and La Salles. I just want to share with you MY OWN CASE.

My daughter is 插班 in MCS. We are just a very ordinary family. We have no relationship with MCS. We do not know anybody in the school. We just sent one letter to MCS to apply. My daughter was invited to attend the entrance written and oral examination. All participants' names were posted in the notice board on that day. Then we were asked to meet with the principal for the second round. During the interview with the principal, there was no mention of any donation nor participation in any charitable activities. Mrs. Lo was only concerned with my daughter's academic achievement and extra curricular activites. She was also concerned with family involvement in my daughter's education/studies. The whole process is fair with high degree of transparency.

My daughter now enjoys the school life very much. All in all, MCS is a very good school. It is very dedicated to render the best education and resources to its students.

The purpose of this topic is to choose MCS or TSL for the Author's KID but not for parents to create any disputable dialogue.

gigi94121 寫道:

32#
發表於 04-11-17 13:09 |只看該作者

IT04,

Believed your daugher is very clever that can 插班 MCS.
May I know your girl apply for p ?
你們要將一切的憂慮卸給神,
因為祂顧念你們
彼前 5:7

33#
發表於 04-11-17 13:23 |只看該作者

Thanks, jazzmama.

Please allow me to keep this as privacy. I can only disclose that she is not in P.1 :). There are students 插班 in P.2 to P.5.

34#
發表於 04-11-17 13:46 |只看該作者

Hello! IT04,

May I enquire when is the best time to send letter to Maryknoll for the application for 插班 in P2 to P.5?  What are their basic requirement?
Thank you.

35#
發表於 04-11-17 13:54 |只看該作者

據聞MCS只收全級考第一的插班申請信,不知是真是假?

36#
發表於 04-11-17 13:58 |只看該作者

English standard of TSL is not low.  Relative to ordinary schools, they use more English books, Science, Maths.  But the overall result, students going to Brand 1 Secondary school is not as high as SFA, Good hope, St Mary etc.

37#
發表於 04-11-17 14:02 |只看該作者

After posting this issue, I didn't take a look at all until I made the final decision.

In fact, my daughter got accepted by both MCS and TSL. (I am not showing off but this is the fact). We didn't submit the form to MCS until the last day (ie Sept 17) after knowing that if we don't submit the form, we can't even get into the 2nd round lucky draw (just think the worse case that our daughter won't get accept by any private/DSS school).

Reasons to apply MCS:
1. good reputation (for sure)
2. nice campus
3. Catholic school
4. Free of charge

Reasons to apply TSL
1. English school w/ affortable tuition fee
2. Multi-cultural
3. Active approach

Overall opinion, MCS is a pretty good school. In order to keep the standard (and goodwill), pressure for students are unavoidable. Some students quit partially because they can't catch up to the standard and some are students' parents can't stand the pressure. The day I submitted the form, one class of girls were going for PE lesson and it is amazed that they are so quiet. Really disciplined.

TSL students are much more active for sure; some parents may think that they are not well disciplined. Teachers enjoy talking and playing with students. I heard a Chinese student spoke with an Indian student with pretty good English (as they were in front of me walking up to the classroom).

About standard, it is pretty hard to judge. I went to a gathering before and met a few kids who are the same age of my daughter. 2 of them can spell a lot of words but not my daughter (I am a lazy mom, seldom ask her to spell words). At that time, I think my daughter's English standard is not good. However, when all of them meet my friend's Canadian hubbby, my daughter is the one most capable to communicate with him. Even he commented that it is hard to believe that my daughter could speak such good English. Then, is it mean my daughter's has good English standard? So, it really depends.

After having family decision and talking to different people (some have kids in MCS, some have kids in TSL), we finally go for TSL, not saying that MCS is not good. Just because both my hubby and myself think that the school matched with my daughter's characters and our family lifestyle even though it may not the best school.

Actaully, choosing a Primary school is really based on what we, parents, but the child expect.

Good luck to all parents.

38#
發表於 04-11-17 14:11 |只看該作者

>>>攪珠學生水平背景比較複雜, 不像從前

true, especially after the ten marks of headmaster has been cancelled, but this is also TRUE for St Mary, La Salle, Heep Yun, old DPS, etc and etc !

>>>學校收取家長捐贈建造維修校舍費和汽車等, 之後有d 人順利入學.

this happens in every school and even in Famous Universities like Harvard, Oxford etc !

>>>轉走的學生不是成績問題, 是師資差, 加起很不滿所以轉校

do the teachers of this school have changed a lot in the past few years ????

39#
發表於 04-11-17 14:14 |只看該作者

m1m1sam 寫道:
As a half educationalist (previously a secondary school teacher and now working in EMB), my sister said that MCS should be ranked on the same level as St. Mary, while honestly speaking, DGS is a bit higher in standard than the two

agree!

especially if you take into account of the results of public examination !

40#
發表於 04-11-17 14:23 |只看該作者

wawamom,

good luck to your daughter and hope you have made the right choice for her !
‹ 上一主題|下一主題