發新帖
查看: 7004|回覆: 3
go

what should I do? [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 14-3-2 22:27 |顯示全部帖子
broadband 發表於 14-3-2 16:07
一直以來,我都認為IS只是主張多看書,由小朋友自由發揮創意。...

I think your quote above is mainly referring ESF schools. When it comes to IS, a UK curriculum can look very different from an American or an IB one. IS comes in a spectrum as wide as various types of LS, such as St. Paul Co-Ed vs. DGS vs. CKY. For example, my boy mainly goes to a Montessori kindergarten but also attends ESF. The contrast between the two schools is so stark that although they both seem very 'free' schools, they do crank out very different kids. Further research can help you find out more if you really have the intention to look into putting your girl in one.

2#
發表於 14-3-2 22:55 |顯示全部帖子
本帖最後由 jolalee 於 14-3-4 02:03 編輯

" it's a waste for her to stay in LS because she likes exploring."

This reminds me of a conversation i had with another mother just yesterday:
The mother has two intelligent boys and her younger one attended Kentville (根德園) for kindergarten. At that time he was a shining star; the teachers loved him because he was so smart, but at the same time he could never sit still and couldn't help 'bothering' other kids. For primary school he followed his elder brother's footstep and went to a super traditional school on the HK Island side. Since he was loud and jumpy, the teacher focused on 'keeping him in line', and in the process quenched his desire for learning. Although he was then transferred to a freer high school, the mother told me it was already too late. The young man is now 19 years old and refuses to go to college. The mom is not worried as he has a head full of ideas and she is sure he will do well. However, she does regret not putting him in an International school back then and said that she would definitely do so if she could only turn back the clock...

The point of mentioning the chance conversation above is to make sure, that the teacher who gave the above statement in regards to your daughter is not hinting at any possible problem. Is your daughter finding school boring? Is she in trouble with anything in certain ways that is hindering her motivation to learn? I think it is important to find out the reason behind the statement in order to determine what really needs to be done about it.

Like yourself, i have a lively and creative child. Even though I have determined from day one to place him in an International School setting, i am still struggling whether to put him where he fits well (IB setting) or a more disciplined environment to balance him out (UK or similar curriculum). This is not an easy decision and probably no right & wrong answer either. Anyhow, with the limited good IS options for primary entry, i'd be lucky if he gets into a good IS that we like anyhow. This decision will probably be determined for me by the lack of options   

All the best in your research and decisions!!

3#
發表於 14-3-8 04:00 |顯示全部帖子
broadband 發表於 14-3-8 00:29
其實,這幾年來我也覺得囡囡的性格較適合讀IS。我在這裡誠心向IS家長徵詢,是希望證明自己的看法錯誤 ...

很欣賞你嘗試放下自己固有看法來配合你女兒的成長。

This is a good start, but doesn't mean the future path will be easy, especially since currently your child seem to do well in her school. Ultimately your family can only choose one path, and live with all its consequences (either way), and may never know what would've happen if you choose the other.

Given you are genuinely thinking of switching your child over, there is a few heads up which your family may encounter if you decide to change system now: (given she gets into a good, genuine IS)

1. Initially your girl may be socially rejected. I heard from other parents that existing IS kids may say nasty things like "you don't belong here" to kids switching from LS. Although your child is outgoing and sociable, i believe she has been socializing in Chinese? The playground language in IS is English, and so is the culture. What they read, watch and do on weekends may be quite different from one another. Kids are human, and there are both the nice and the nasty. She will need to rise above any negative treatment and move on. Unlike most parents here who has their kids growing up in an IS environment, LS family switching over may take some adapting, sorta like moving to a foreign country.

2. Parental adjustment could be devastating. Depending on the IS you choose, there may be very little homework and 'academic improvement' on your child immediately. Many parents from local families complain to the school and ask the teachers to give their kids additional exercises. That's monstrous. When in Rome, please do as the Romans.   

3. Once she adapts, there may be social gap between herself and the family. As mentioned above, the social culture is quite different from the locals. I did hear about kids who refuse to go to family meals (with relatives and/or friends) since they cannot participate holistically in the conversations. I think you child's case should be a bit better, since she has been growing up in a Canto environment until now. Age 8-12 is a good time to switch her over without losing her roots (or her Chinese accent, unfortunately).

All in all, find a good school that fits her, not just any IS. If you don't mind, I shall PM you on that.

點評

shadeslayer  May be I am lucky. My girl and us blend right in without skipping a beat. She also grow up with cusins and friends in Cantonese.  發表於 14-3-8 08:52

4#
發表於 14-3-9 00:03 |顯示全部帖子
broadband 發表於 14-3-8 23:16
至於他爸爸,我說LS好他便說讀LS,老師說IS適合囡囡,他便贊成我提出的轉讀IS。他完全不做研究及分析,所以我便要承擔這重任。而最煩惱的是囡囡的能力正逐漸顯露中,在LS讀得很有自信,很開心... 但她比原IS的學生遲了幾年開始西方教學模式,她可能會因落後而放棄自己。她的缺點是遇錯折便退縮。...
Ha ha, your husband is like my husband. I think it is important though to let him be aware of all the financial commitments, including the rise of tuition fees, debenture (anything from 75k to 500k) as well as ancillary costs such as school trips abroad etc. If the rest he is okay, then the pressure does fall on us women, unfortunately (^.^)

As to overcoming possible transition issues, it could be good life lessons. As a primary school child, I personally had gone through language barriers, system adaption issues and discrimination (with threats of violence) in another country when my family emigrated from HK. After two years i thrived, found my strengths & talents, and increasing love to study. What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;) Transition problems (if any), is short term, but the desire to learn and create, that's life long benefits.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題