教育王國 討論區 教育講場 English Question
發新帖
查看: 1021|回覆: 2
go

English Question [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 05-5-7 05:12 |顯示全部帖子

Re: English Question

The proper way is to put "'s" behind all names ending in "s" (e.g. Louis's sweater, Charles's book) with a few exceptions (ancient proper names ending in -es and -is, possessive of Jesus (i.e. Jesus'), or forms such as "for righteousness' sake")

You're right, it's a common mistake nowadays for people to write "Louis' sweater"

2#
發表於 05-5-8 17:05 |顯示全部帖子

Yes, it's a very common misconception.  I used to make the same mistake (actually still do sometimes).  Took a year for my high school teacher to beat that into my head.

Do refer yourself to some reliable grammar reference guide.  

3#
發表於 05-5-9 15:31 |顯示全部帖子

Pls read carefully what Teresa has quoted from Swan's "ractical English Usage."  Singular noun's possessive form is usually done by adding "'s" at the end of the singular noun, with the exception of ancient proper names and a few other terms (as quoted earlier).  Note that "Louis" is a singular (proper) noun, and it's not (in its usual context) any form of ancient proper names.  Thus the correct possessive form should be "Louis's" or "Charles's."

There was an excellent book recommended by my professor many years ago on grammar and its practical usage.  I can't locate it now but if I find it I will quote the rule exactly as it's stated for everyone's reference.  The book's written by Strunk & White if anyone has it.

A word of caution - new words or terms might spring up in the English language (e.g. slangs) but grammar is a timeless thing.  It's either correct or incorrect; it doesn't change with time.

This is just to ensure that we parents are teaching the right grammar to our children.  Sorry if I came across as being argumentative in any way.  

:
‹ 上一主題|下一主題
返回列表
發新帖