教育王國 討論區 小學雜談 九龍塘小學放榜
發新帖
樓主: est
go

九龍塘小學放榜 [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 04-12-3 15:06 |顯示全部帖子

Re: 九龍塘小學放榜

Luckily, my little girl was accepted by KTS, APS, Kln. Rhenish, Tak Nga and Kln. True Light last year.  I chose KTS and now, she loves the school very much.  My reasons are quite simple:
- spacious & greenery campus (my girl is an active one);
- good secondary school allocation result;
- good secondary school net;
- highly recommended by my colleagues whose kids are graduates;
- various kinds of extra-curricular activities for selection;
- good moral training / good manner training.

From my observation in the past few months, the teachers are very nice.  The workload is reasonable.

2#
發表於 04-12-3 15:08 |顯示全部帖子

If unchanged, they only charge you $150.  Much reasonable than other schools.  Besides, by that time, you will be informed of the result of the lucky draw.

Last year, I paid at once.  Now, my kid is there.

3#
發表於 04-12-3 15:50 |顯示全部帖子

The following shall have to pay too:
1. uniforms, school bags, books & workbooks etc.;
2. lunch fee (monthly), around $15/day - optional - you can prepare lunch for your kid;
3. school bus (on need basis);
4. extra-curricular activities on Fridays & Saturdays, depends on which one(s) you join.  Saturday ones are optional. But they are not expensive at all;
5. X'mas party, school picnic etc. (nominal).

Indeed, when I compared with the mis. charges paid in kindergarten days, the above are really nominal.  Besides, the tuition fee is quite reasonable, $2800/month.

There shall be an orientation course in summer. The last one (in 7/04) lasted for a month.  Really a good chance for the kids to adapt the new environment and the rules.  The fee was only $600.  The course is compulsory, unless approved by the Principal for absence.  

4#
發表於 04-12-3 16:15 |顯示全部帖子

Not really far away! I live in Yuen Long.  One of my girl's classmates live in Tin Shui Wai.

What do you want to know exactly? Charges or frequency?  You can choose the bus company authorised by KTS or other 街車.  If latter, it would be at your own risk.  I don't know whether the school had showed the bus routes on the interview day (last year it did).  This year, they serve TKO.  You can simply call the bus co. "開大2309 1111" and ask specifically.

Yes, KTS has 3 expatriates to teach oral English / phonics etc.  I note that my girl's spoken English improves quite a lot.  They are very kind and always talk to the kids at different occasions e.g. at the tuck shop, in the playground etc. So in other words, there're 2 English teachers.  

In general, the academic level is really good and DEMANDING. 可以說是"廣深快車"! 範圍廣; 程度深; 教得快; 車 ...... 朝朝好多車停在學校門口 (好彩唔係警車, 否則實抄牌!).

5#
發表於 04-12-3 16:44 |顯示全部帖子

Don't worry.  As long as your kid is accepted by KTS, she already proves her competence.

Normally, if a kid concentrates on his / her work, the homework can be finished within 2 hours.  For dictations, the interval is only once per month.  Indeed, there are other language training, like spoken skills, listening skills, composition etc.  The teachers expect / encourage kids to have more reading.  I agree with this, cos. it is the only effective way to improve language proficiency.

My experience is, there will be a transition period, around 3 to 6 months - since p.1 is really a challenge to the kids.  But they can overcome.   As I said, the teachers are very nice and helpful.  We can always approach them.

BTW, be prepared.  The school rules are quite strict, though it is not a religious school.

6#
發表於 04-12-3 19:40 |顯示全部帖子

Which one is DSS?

7#
發表於 04-12-4 17:37 |顯示全部帖子

There're 2 phonics lessions per week, which are taught by native English teachers; in addition to usual English lessions.

The language standards are quite high.  The teachers provide sufficient training in vocabulary, grammar, comprehension, listening skills etc. in addition to the textbooks stuff.

8#
發表於 04-12-4 17:39 |顯示全部帖子

This year, about 39 per class - 4 classes in p.1.

Language training is really important in KTS.  Indeed, as I mentioned here before, the school is demanding.  It's usual, I think, as a band 1 school.

9#
發表於 04-12-5 14:04 |顯示全部帖子

To all:

KTS encourages extra-curricular activities.  There are a lot of choices.  My kid is not interested in music, so we chose sports etc.

For p.1, there are oral lessons (twice per week).  Apart from these, you can join extra-curricular activities for oral training.

10#
發表於 04-12-5 14:09 |顯示全部帖子

Then your kid and his classmates should be smart.  But last year, I saw a parent asking for an interview when I was completing the registration procedures.

Of course, there are reasons for not joining this school.  Last year, I did reject the offers given by the other schools.  But it meant nothing to us.

Besides, there were about 1,000 applications last year.  But there are almost 160 p.1 students.  I don't know how you can arrive at a statement that all the applicants are accepted by KTS.  Seems an innovative maths concept!

11#
發表於 04-12-6 09:20 |顯示全部帖子

2 phonics lessons and 2 English lessons per week.  Both subjects train the kids' oral English.

The Chinese subject is taught in Cantonese since they have mandarin class (once per week).

12#
發表於 04-12-6 09:24 |顯示全部帖子

Don't take my stupid comments serious.  What I want to remind the others is, there is real competition for places in KTS.

Similar to you, I did not apply for St Francis last year and eventually gave up the offer of APS.

It's not bad for your kid to repeat k3.  P1 is too demanding now.  My girl is small (in terms of age) in her class.  Quite tough for her indeed.

13#
發表於 04-12-6 17:32 |顯示全部帖子

Friday: yes.

Sat.: No.

But Sat. ones are optional.

14#
發表於 04-12-13 09:24 |顯示全部帖子

Would you mind telling us which school your kid is now studying at?

15#
發表於 04-12-13 14:03 |顯示全部帖子

Agreed.

Parents should observe which schools their kids like most.  

16#
發表於 04-12-15 11:48 |顯示全部帖子

Gigi2's message provides a full picture what she and I feel about KTS.

17#
發表於 04-12-15 12:02 |顯示全部帖子

I think the only minor drawback of KTS is, it does not have any linked secondary schools now.  If it has, it is more than perfect.

Exam. is coming.  My kid is going to have a merry but intensive X'mas.  But pleased to know that she becomes more independent now.  Check her own homework against the handbook, pack the school bags and good marks in dictations.

18#
發表於 04-12-16 09:15 |顯示全部帖子

Should be 3 native expatriate teachers, I guessed.

‹ 上一主題|下一主題