教育王國 討論區 國際學校 Any ISF parents to share?
發新帖
查看: 5773|回覆: 12
go

Any ISF parents to share? [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 07-4-17 09:21 |只看該作者

Any ISF parents to share?

I'm interested to send my kids to the above.  The school fee is quite a lot but I'm quite impressed by its curriculum.  However many heresays discourage us to do so.  General comments as below:

1) High School fee! Not value for money!
2) Management not stable
3) Curriculum is good but not under control at present
4) The kids are super-rich and my kids will feel miserable for this!  (We are just ok but definitely not rich!!)

As the school is so new that I can't find a friend who has sent the kdi to.  Any ISF parents (or ex-parents) can share with me?  

Million thanks in advance.

Rgds,

:-D :-D :-D :-D

2#
發表於 07-4-17 09:43 |只看該作者

Re: Any ISF parents to share?

I have a few friends with kids studying there - yes, most parents are super-rich.

Only know that it is a new school, mandarin very good, so far so good.  My friends won't bother too much, if not good, change school, there are a lot of choices on HK side.

3#
發表於 07-4-17 10:18 |只看該作者

WYmom,

Tkx a lot for your comment.  How about the discipline and English level of your friends' kids?

Any suggestion from you for a P3 boy with ESF in
HK side?  

The biggest problem is we're not rich, so......

Tkx again.

Rgds,

4#
發表於 07-4-17 11:19 |只看該作者

The kids I know are very well-behaved, not sure about English standard as they are local Chinese.  Anyway most kids in rich families have very good support in learning language.

There are vacancies in ESF schools on HK side, you can check the school according to your residential zone.  However, for ESF, they really accept students based on English standard, won't bother if you are rich or not.

5#
發表於 07-4-19 09:29 |只看該作者

Any one can help?

6#
發表於 07-4-21 12:22 |只看該作者

I have a child in ISF and I'm definitely not super rich.  Most of the familites are middle class.

The school fees of ISF is at the same level as other interntaional schools like HKIS and CIS.  If you can accept that but want an emphasis on Chinese in primary school, then that's a good reason to choose this school.

The school never do anything that will highlight the family background of a child, so that should not be a concern.

Hope it helps.

7#
發表於 07-4-21 12:32 |只看該作者

Would you mind telling me what ISF stands for as I want to search more information about this school.  It seems from your comments that it is a good school and worth to have a try.

8#
發表於 07-4-22 01:18 |只看該作者

Menuhin,

Thank you very much for your input.  You're the first ISF parent I met in this forum.

Are you happy with the school?  I'm challenged by others if it is value-for-money to put my kids with ISF and heresays the curriculum is not as strong as what the school claims.  How about the discipline, especially in upper-primary classes?

Can you share with us the reason that you have your kid in ISF? Would you mind to let me know a bit more?  

Thanks again.

Rgds,

9#
發表於 07-4-22 09:14 |只看該作者

Mama3303,

ISF is Independant Schools Foundation Academy, website is at http://isf.edu.hk/eng/

1. I am very happy with the school.

2. Value for money?

My friends have often asked me this question. The school teacher-student ratio is around 1:10, the class size is 1:15.  That accounts for the high school fee.

I ask my friends first to consider whether the school fee is within their comfort zone, then whether a low teacher-student ratio is what they want for their child.  

The curriculum is fine and well delivered.  The best thing is the language immersion approach. School discipline is International School style - the school does not baby-sit the children but do expect good behaviour.

Did you go to the Open Day last month?  That is the best way to know the school and the students.   

10#
發表於 07-4-23 10:21 |只看該作者

Menuhin,

Tkx a lot again.

Yes - I went to the Open Day in March.  The children were brilliant and well-behaved.  Their presentations were also sophisticated and impressed. I also chatted with a couple of kids and they were quite presentable!

Regarding the school fee,  we're ok with it as long as our kids can receive quality learning with lots of fun.
We're not rich but are willing to sacrifice in other aspects for our kids' education!  NO MORE LUXURY LA!

Actually my elder one is with ESF primary and he is doing fine.  He loves to read - but only English books!
I have a bad time to fight with him regarding his Chinese learning.  So I just hope spending more in school fee can ease our dilemma!

Any advise?

Rgds,

11#
發表於 07-4-23 13:05 |只看該作者

ISF is one of my favourite schools too.  the philosophy/principle of running the school is very impressing and appealing to many parents.  

However, a friend of my friend has a children attending the school.  Her comment is that there are still many areas that need to be improved in executing the school philosophy.  For example, some classes may not have native speaking teachers.  although it claims that students with higher ability may attend lessons of higher class , but this has not been implemented all the times.  The school management is also not stable.  

I don't know how true  these comments are.. as I don't know that friend and can't ask her directly.  

However, judging from Menuhin's comments, it seems that this school is good.  

I'm still struggling between traditional local schools, ESF and ISF.  They are totally different.   

For 502, may I ask about your elder children's experience in ESF primary ?  My hubby and I come from local schools, we both worry on issues such as child discipline e.g. too free and not observing rules, too little homework to the extent that he can't afford even little   pressure at work in future, if our child studies in international school.  have you got similar problems with your elder child ?

12#
發表於 07-4-23 14:48 |只看該作者

My experience in ESF is good.  Discipline issue is just the same everywhere - kids in ESF still have to observe them.   For me, I don't believe homework till 10 or 11 will help the kids to afford pressures.  My elder one has lots of time to read books and I'm sure such luxury cannot be found in most traditional local schools.

13#
發表於 07-4-28 22:24 |只看該作者

Menuhin

I guess one doesn't need to worry about the Chinese standard of ISF, but what about its English standard? The school claims that it teaches English at the 1st language level, but given that English is only used for 30% of the teaching time at the lower primary level, how can the kids acquire English proficiency at the 1st language level? Also, from your observation, are there a lot of students that are native English speakers?

Would appreciate any info. you can provide.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題