教育王國 討論區 備戰大學 DBS academic performance
發新帖
查看: 9664|回覆: 11
go

DBS academic performance [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 16-7-20 12:41 |只看該作者 |倒序瀏覽 |打印
本帖最後由 Annaystsoi 於 16-7-22 12:46 編輯

This post concerns primarily the academic performance of DBS boys, I would like to share my opinions on it with DBS parents and any parents who might be interested in letting their children get in DBS.

(my major source of information is data from my 2 sons, who graduated from DBS in 2014 (NSS) and 2016 (IB))

Overview:

Although my elder son fortunately survived in 2014 DSE, his fellow schoolmates performed quite disastrously if judged only by the overall results. 150 something students taking DSE, with only slightly more than half of them being able to secure places in local universities. However, as I looked at the overall picture by taking into account the IB boys and those who left early at G11, I came to realize that among the students from the class of 2014, there are nearly 10 students from HKU Law, 10 something from HKU/CU Medicine, around 10 from Oxbridge as well as a great number of students attending the most prestigious universities ranging from LSE, KCL, UCL, Ivy League colleges from the US etc. The number is truly impressive.

My observation:
The DSE result of DBS is declining, although DBS 2015 DSE was exceptionally great. The major reason is, as I perceive, not “poor” Chinese result, nor is it caused by any substantial drop in the quality of students being admitted. I believe it is because there is a growing tendency that DBS boys either go for IB, GCE, or even study abroad early since they (or their parents) lose faith in the local NSS system, which, as many people might agree, is obsolete in a sense that it does not equip students with the essential life skills not just for the examination.

This tendency is actually evidenced by the form ranking of my elder son, who ranked at 5x/23x in G9, and subsequently became the top 20 students in G10 NSS stream, mostly because there were only 15x students left for NSS. There was also remarkable improvement in his English ranking from 1xx/23x in G9 to 4x/15x in G10 and so on. For the class of 2014 cohort, there were 60 students taking IB, and half of the top 10 students went for IB. As for the class of 2016 cohort, nearly all the top 10 students went for IB (including my younger son), and subsequently the DBS DSE 2016 result is poorer than ever.

By comparing the university offers of DBS students from 2012 to 2015, it became surprising that the rates of students attending the most prestigious schools, and studying the most competitive degrees are more or less consistent - 1x law students, 1x medic students and a high number of students studying in the best universities in the world, such as Oxbridge and Ivy League Schools for each cohort. DBS DSE 2015 was exceptionally excellent, yet, the number of Law, Medicine and Oxbridge offers is somewhat similar majorly because in DBS, DSE result might fluctuate a lot according to the preferences of students, whether to take IB, DSE or GCE. However, the overall quality of the students from both streams still prevails and remains consistent. In DBS, DSE is never a sole determinant of the students’ performance.

My Advice
DBS is definitely one of the most academically excellent secondary schools in HK, however, it is always fatal for the boys to be to over-confident, particularly the DSE stream students. While their remarkable improvements in ranking from G9 to G10 might have boosted their confidence, such improvement is more or less illusional improvements caused by the drop in the number of exemplary students who left the local stream and the increase in the number of sportsmen contributed by the newcomers in senior grades. Many fellow schoolmates of my sons from the DSE stream fell short of their expectation mainly because they predicted their grades only by their
rank and results from previous years, without actually considering whether or not they had made sufficient efforts. Although DBS DSE is comparatively weaker, a good many offers from Oxbridge and law medicine have always been given to the DSE boys. My advice is that, you better ask your son to aim high only if he has made exceptional efforts.

For prospective parents, I would like to express that when you are considering the academic performance of DBS, do not just look at the DSE results, but also IB and so on. Aside from the study of DBS, I feel proud that my sons actually spent their secondary school life in this DBS community that comprises people from such diverged backgrounds.

點評

王家爸爸    發表於 16-7-25 16:54
   13    0    0    0

2#
發表於 16-7-21 07:45 |只看該作者
Annaystsoi 發表於 16-7-20 12:41
This post concerns primarily the academic performance of DBS boys, I would like to share my opinions ...
Thank you for your sharing, just want to clarify somethings:

1. You mentioned that the DSE result of students are not good, but they still got offer to study Law/Medical, do you mean they got offer from oversea universities to enroll those courses or the local universities?

2. You mention students also can take GCE, how many % of student will take GCE? Or will the student take GCE as well as NSS/DSE at the same time?

3. Besides the performance of DSE Chinese, are the result of other subjects still performance similar to most of other similar ranking secondary schools in HK (i.e. St Joseph, LS, Wan Yan, QC... etc)?
還記得初為父母時,對孩子的期望嗎?我當時只想他/她平平安安,健健康康。
隨著時光飛逝,人的期望慢慢變了,變得越來越有要求。所以要經常提醒自己:毋忘初心
箴言4:23 - 你要保守你心,勝過保守一切,因為一生的果效是由心發出。
箴言22:6 - 教養孩童,使他走當行的道,就是到老他也不會偏離。

3#
發表於 16-7-21 13:53 |只看該作者
回覆 Annaystsoi 的帖子

thanks for sharing.

My son is going to G7 this Sept. He is from DBSPD. Since your two sons have been in NSS and IB stream before, would you please share what types of boys will suit IB or NSS best ?

4#
發表於 16-7-21 13:58 |只看該作者
回覆 Annaystsoi 的帖子

Thank you for your sharing. However, what is the main point or advise you were trying to give to other non-DBS parents reading this in EK. Thanks.

點評

KikiDaddy  useful for prospective parents considering DBS.  發表於 16-7-21 20:45

5#
發表於 16-7-22 01:26 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 Annaystsoi 於 16-7-22 12:55 編輯

回覆 hkpapa852 的帖子

1. DSE results of DBS are still one of the best in HK (in terms of the number of students being admitted to the most popular degrees), however, the overall results are relatively not good enough (e.g. 3322 rates) mainly due to the considerable number of sportsmen and the results are more or less not comparable to that of the very best schools like SPCC, DGS and QC. Still, a  number of DBS DSE students got offers from HKU/CU medicine, HKU law and etc. (I do not have the official data but the DBS headmaster did share the 2015 results on Facebook: 1898859_10152906481792257_2834234544482370501_o.jpg)

2. Students self-studying for GCE is not uncommon in DBS, they mostly took GCE in F.5 or F.6, and some of them did GCE and DSE in the same academic year. For example, my son's classmate got Oxford unconditional offer partly on the basis of his GCE results, and he still took DSE after getting the offer.

3. The performance of particular subjects in DBS would fluctuate every year depending on the distribution of the better students between DSE and IB, but I would say the performance is more or less similar to that of other schools of similar ranking. For example, in 2014, less than 20 boys got 5** in maths but in 2015, nearly 40 boys got 5** in maths.

6#
發表於 16-7-22 01:39 |只看該作者
回覆 yumommom 的帖子

Briefly speaking, NSS is majorly about pastpaper drilling,  you have to know full well the so-called "exam skills" in order to succeed . IB to a greater extent develops the talents of the boys intellectually. I am not sure how to put it but my younger son who went for IB is obviously more outspoken and appears to be more like a non-local student from the international school.

7#
發表於 16-7-22 01:44 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 Annaystsoi 於 16-7-22 12:46 編輯

回覆 manning2014 的帖子

For prospective parents, I would like to express that when you are considering the academic performance of DBS, do not just look at the DSE results, but also IB and so on. Aside from the study of DBS, I feel proud that my sons actually spent their secondary school life in this DBS community that comprises people from such diverged backgrounds.

8#
發表於 16-7-22 01:47 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 bforbtec 於 16-7-22 02:12 編輯

DEL

9#
發表於 16-7-22 09:01 |只看該作者

引用:回覆+yumommom+的帖子 Briefly+speaking,+

原帖由 Annaystsoi 於 16-07-22 發表
回覆 yumommom 的帖子

Briefly speaking, NSS is majorly about pastpaper drilling,  you have to know f ...
You are in a better position to comment on both curriculum.

Your comments are similar to my observations and comments 7 years ago.

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

10#
發表於 16-7-22 09:15 |只看該作者
Annaystsoi 發表於 16-7-22 01:26
回覆 hkpapa852 的帖子

1. DSE results of DBS are still one of the best in HK (in terms of the number ...
Can u give us some insight regarding the DSE result of 2016?Thx!

11#
發表於 16-7-22 10:41 |只看該作者
Annaystsoi 發表於 16-7-22 01:26
回覆 hkpapa852 的帖子

1. DSE results of DBS are still one of the best in HK (in terms of the number ...
Thank you for your information, even DBS is not my primary targeted school  (but it maybe my son favour.....).

I also doubt the average performance of DBS because they accepted too many sportmen those with fair academic performance.
還記得初為父母時,對孩子的期望嗎?我當時只想他/她平平安安,健健康康。
隨著時光飛逝,人的期望慢慢變了,變得越來越有要求。所以要經常提醒自己:毋忘初心
箴言4:23 - 你要保守你心,勝過保守一切,因為一生的果效是由心發出。
箴言22:6 - 教養孩童,使他走當行的道,就是到老他也不會偏離。

12#
發表於 16-7-22 11:11 |只看該作者
回覆 Annaystsoi 的帖子

Thank you for your sharing in a fairly objective way. True that DBS is always a school that not only for academic achievement but rather for all-round personal development of its students. If someone only wants to focus to excel their academic result, DBS is not a suitable place for them.
Since your 2 sons were from different pathway (NSS and IB), mind sharing with us that did they finally go overseas/local for further education? Thanks.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題