用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 國際學校 One strategic step closer to HKIS, CIS, AISHK, CDNIS ...
查看: 26521|回覆: 96
go

One strategic step closer to HKIS, CIS, AISHK, CDNIS & ICS [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 13-2-23 03:38 |只看該作者 |倒序瀏覽 |打印
I'm planning to apply the above schools for my currently 2 years old son who will be attending K1 equivalent this coming August. He has several options, but mainly i'm struggling between:

1. The Montessori system [DMS Discovery Bay]
2. The ESF system [ESF Tsing Yi]

I wonder which school can better prepare him for the reception application / interview (both in terms of the schools' reputation and the actually learning)? Any comment or suggestion is deeply appreciated. Thank you in advance!
   11    0    0    0

2#
發表於 13-2-23 07:45 |只看該作者

回覆:jolalee 的帖子

ESF. You should also submit applications to the named schools immediately. 2 years old is already a bit late for some schools.

3#
發表於 13-2-23 09:01 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 jolalee 於 13-2-23 09:02 編輯
hkparent 發表於 13-2-23 07:45
ESF. You should also submit applications to the named schools immediately. 2 years old is already a  ...

Thank you, hkparent. Would explain in which ways ESF is a better option than Montessori? Is it the reputation or education? Would ESF Tsing Yi be penalized over other ESF kindies?

Instead of "I'm planning to apply" I should have put "I'm planning to and have applied for the schools listed above". I've submitted for AISHK. HKIS/CIS/ICS will accept my submissions only starting this August, and I've applied for pre-reception for CDNIS this year (but given my son came out with a train which the teacher was desperately looking for, I think he failed, so i'm preparing to apply for reception this coming Autumn). Thank you for your reminder though! :)

4#
發表於 13-2-23 09:22 |只看該作者

ESF has better reputation for academic results in the secondary schools. If you can choose, ESF kindergartens on Hk island may stand a higher chance of gaining admission to ESF primary schools.

5#
發表於 13-2-23 10:19 |只看該作者
...but ESF primary schools are not on my target list here... if it is, i'd definitely go for any ESF kindie for having the final year of P1 interview priority. ESF does have better reputation for academic results for their secondary schools, but from what i heard the top IB score students are usually smart kids transferred over from other IS or LS. [parents please correct me with figures if what i heard is wrong]...

From what i learned, PYP and MYP are a bit shaky and depends on the teacher a lot. Personally i'd prefer any of the schools for primary year listed above instead.

Anyhow, back on the topic. Would an ESF kindie education or Montessori kindie education help better prepare a child for a top through-train IS interview? and which school type have a better reputation amongst the schools i listed on the topic? Much appreciated if there are feedback from parents who know kids or have their own in any of the above schools. thx!

6#
發表於 13-2-23 12:39 |只看該作者

CDNIS,  AISHK get higher priority to passport holders. AISHK need to apply immediately after birth. CDNIS need to get in pre-reception or reception years otherwise it is difficult to get in afterward. Also, pre-reception interview require kids can do separation and can follow English order and express in simple English.
For CIS, connections and siblings are very important. they need to maintain a perfect mix of nationality, mother tongue and genders that locals have lower priority if both parents are not native English or mandarin speakers.
for HKIS, connection and those with foreign passport definitely have the advantage.

7#
發表於 13-2-23 13:58 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 jolalee 於 13-2-23 14:13 編輯

回復 Shrimpiggy 的帖子

Thank you Shrimpiggy for your detailed analysis of each school, especially HKIS & CIS, which I know less about. Do you know what their interviews are like and what they're looking for in a child? (or is it purely on connections & backgrounds?)

We do fit the bill for most schools I'm applying for, but I'm wondering which school I should choose for my son next year, ESF or Montessori, based on my target schools....

I know ESF is a great system to fall back on (many of my friends regret not applying for ESF in the first place), but they are enquiry/play based, so he might fall behind for the more academic IS interviews. Personally I love Montessori but would those IS view it as fringe or unconventional education and take impression points off from him? (or that he'd not fit into mainstream IS interview settings). I'm quite confused as for which one to choose for next year and possibly for his entire Kindie education....

8#
發表於 13-2-23 15:19 |只看該作者

引用:+本帖最後由+jolalee+於+13-2-23+09:02+編

原帖由 jolalee 於 13-02-23 發表
本帖最後由 jolalee 於 13-2-23 09:02 編輯
Your quote of ESF that many high IB scores winners coming from other IS and LS applies to CIS as well. My friend and his friends, who was graduates of CIS secondary school asked me why I want CIS primary, they said it is not as good as people think. But their secondary do well.

9#
發表於 13-2-23 15:54 |只看該作者

回覆:lui 的帖子

During a parents introduction session in CIS last year, they asked two kids to tell us about the school life. The boy was transferred from a reputable LS after primary school.
What I notice is that most of IS do not push kids in the primary school but the kids are more self initiative in their teenage.
The assessment procedure of CIS and CDNIS have been changed since this year. It is mandatory to attend the parents introduction session and an essay need to be submitted regarding to the kids development and ability.
An additional Assessment fee is imposed to those applying CDNIS after Aug 2012.
For CDNIS, as they have pre-reception class, the test is more on separation and manners.
HKIS tests the kids English level in a play group with 12 kids playing puzzles, drawing and active storytelling.
Last but not lest, it is better you need to pick one or two schools to set the goal as the schools you mentioned are quite different in many aspects.

10#
發表於 13-2-23 16:09 |只看該作者

回覆:Shrimpiggy 的帖子

Sorry to make it complicated.
But in short, most IS do not test academic, it is not much different for ESF and IMS.
My personal suggestion is to head for ESF though there will be no definite advantage for ESF primaries next year as a back up, but untold advantage can still be expected.

11#
發表於 13-2-23 16:49 |只看該作者

one last thing, if you kid was born in 2010, CDNIS, HKIS, should have applied of which CDNIS should have interviewed last month or this. HKIS should be next week.
AISHK can apply anytime.

12#
發表於 13-2-23 16:52 |只看該作者

回覆:Shrimpiggy 的帖子

sorry hkis next year.

13#
發表於 13-2-23 18:22 |只看該作者
lui 發表於 13-2-23 15:19
Your quote of ESF that many high IB scores winners coming from other IS and LS applies to CIS as wel ...
Yes, that's my dilemma too. Seem like the high schools with top IB scores simply have a good intake of good students from elsewheres... I wonder which International primary schools have a relatively more solid foundation (but not as crazy as the LS)....?

14#
發表於 13-2-23 19:32 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 jolalee 於 13-2-23 19:37 編輯

Thanks Shrimpiggy for all your info. We've applied / will apply to each school according to their set application schedule. I don't think my son did that well on his CDNIS interview last month, so we'll try again next year. Parents can apply for AISHK 2 years prior to their admission age, starting from January each year. Since they're on the Auzzie calendar, it's best to check the individual child's class age on their website or just call them to confirm, which was what we did. (in case anyone else reading this would like to apply for AISHK).

You're right that there are two distinctive types of schools here: HKIS & CIS are mainly academic and they are my husband's top choice. CDNIS, AISHK & ICS are more well rounded and those are my target schools. Actually, I do think my boy is more like his dad and will do better at his choice of schools, but I really want to round up his characters more. Anyhow in HK it's not up to the parents so I'll take whichever he can get into ;)

Did your kids apply to any of the schools above beside ESF?

15#
發表於 13-2-23 22:54 |只看該作者
回復 jolalee 的帖子

I think if you aim at top overseas university, you should aim at LS. Get a top results and aim at a reputable overseas high school at 14 or 15. At the end they look for good exam results.  None of the IS (even HKIS or CIS) get you there as good as the top LS, if you have no connection.

I know 2 friends with kids at CIS secondary, and neither consider the top overseas universities as realistic choices, these are mostly reserved for those with good connection and those transferred from LS, and very few home breed 路人甲families.

16#
發表於 13-2-23 22:57 |只看該作者
回復 jolalee 的帖子

CIS is "not" known for academic, and the atmosphere is play play play, and freedom freedom freedom. Your kid need extremely good self initiative or you need to push so hard.

17#
發表於 13-2-23 23:40 |只看該作者

引用:回復+jolalee+的帖子 I+think+if+you+aim+

原帖由 21Ckid 於 13-02-23 發表
回復 jolalee 的帖子

I think if you aim at top overseas university, you should aim at LS. Get a top  ...
回復 jolalee 的帖子 I think if you aim at top overseas university, you should aim at LS. Get a top results and aim at a reputable overseas high school at 14 or 15. At the end they look for good exam results. None of the IS (even HKIS or CIS) get you there as good as the top LS, if you have no connection.

Xxxxxxx

Getting into good university is important but should it be the overriding criterion on choosing schools for our kids?  School life in an elite LS is very different from any of the IS.  That is assuming the child is among the 2% of the applicants who get a place in an elite LS.

The more bizzare a thing is, the less mysterious it proves to be.

18#
發表於 13-2-24 01:18 |只看該作者

回覆:shadeslayer 的帖子

agree, nectar to one, poison to others.
U can check the websites of IS university placement.
U get into the best school but ur kid can be the worst one that is no different to those in band 3/5 schools.
Good schools are not magic box to turn a dumb to a gifted. Many factors ..... ...matter...

19#
發表於 13-2-24 02:18 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 jolalee 於 13-2-24 07:07 編輯

I agree to shadelayer here and that's why I'm picking IS over LS all the way through. I've done primary schools in both Hong Kong and overseas, so I've seen the pros and cons from both sides personally.

Anyhow we're going off topic here again, maybe it's my fault in choosing a wrong title. Between ESF & Montessori schools, which one should I put my child in if my aim is the listed schools on the title?

20#
發表於 13-2-25 00:05 |只看該作者
If you need to ask about IB scores, you care about academics and good university placement and i am afraid, with child of same intelligence, the best is still to go the LS > elite LS > overseas high school route. A handful wiill though transfer to GSIS first (esp DGS girls). We have to accept that most children need to be pushed and LS still chunks out better exam scores. I have friends in both top LS and IS secondary and the above is really a consensus in that circle. Sometimes, I couldn't understand why some bloggers here always insist the oppposite.

I am a fan of IS but i won't try to mislead here. Still i will put my kid in IS as i want him to have a happier childhood. Still, that effectively strips him the chance to become a doctor, and a lower chance to get into top universities. For me, that's okay, life is much more and much longer than that. But fact is fact. I would not say every single bit about IS is better than LS.

‹ 上一主題|下一主題