用戶登入
用戶名稱:
密      碼:
搜索
教育王國 討論區 備戰大學 如讀 medi, 其實經jupas定考IB, GCE 經non jupas 易d? ...
發新帖
查看: 7861|回覆: 18
go

如讀 medi, 其實經jupas定考IB, GCE 經non jupas 易d? [複製鏈接]

1#
發表於 12-10-8 03:00 |只看該作者 |倒序瀏覽 |打印
只是好奇問下

如 medi jupas 位一定多過 NJ

但DSE 不易考高分

Non Jupas 位少但考的人數也少些,其實機會率是jupas  or non jupas高些?

此外如考GCE, GCE 應較易高分
如考 IB, IB 也不易讀

總括來說,那途徑較易入?

對不起因自己不孰識,如有錯請更正。謝謝

9    0    0    0

2#
發表於 12-10-8 08:53 |只看該作者
妳這個問題很好,可以從多角度思考,試試拋磗引玉:

1。醫科學位分配 - J : NJ 約 2 :1,雖然大學不會具體公佈,而且第一屆又兼逢雙學年,數字一定有出入。

2。學制分別 - 我個人覺得HKDSE, IB 是較完整的學制,GCE,SAT,AP 是較考試為本的單元性學習。

3。應考人數 - HKDSE 約70k學生應考,lB 在2013年約3k在香港應考。其他學制無從查考。而且兩間醫學院在NJ都會收部分本科畢業生,港大一向不公佈,中大限制在NJ三份一之內的名額。

4。考試深淺 - HKAL > IB > HKDSE > GCE AL 個人觀感加上UCAS部份參考資料。

5。我個人覺得各有各配額,本地大學在UGC的資源安排及監督下,多次名額給HKDSE的本港考生是合理。如果再看看5科30分,跟以前HKALE應該差不多。我看熱門科目入學是由頂向下排,如果按數目來估算,競爭難度跟以前差不多,不要被基數誤導。

6。不同家長及學生為何選lB是各有考量,其他人我不便置喙,我只可以講自己的看法。我在日誌及其他帖都分享過,lB是一個好完整的學制,從多元訓練學生掌握一些終生受用的治學態度、學習方法及世界觀,而非單單一個考試為本的學制。如果小兒既完成lB,在lBDP又考到好成績,固然最理想。如果後者成績強差人意,我都見到他的成長,成熟,及為未來的求學及就業作好充分準備。
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

3#
發表於 12-10-8 12:58 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 Shootastar 於 12-10-8 13:21 編輯

回復 ANChan59 的帖子

妳這個問題很好,可以從多角度思考,試試拋磗引玉:

1。醫科學位分配 - J : NJ 約 2 :1,雖然大學不會具體公佈,而且第一屆又兼逢雙學年,數字一定有出入。

Disregarding the double cohort year, CU usually admits 1/3 of NJ students to its medical program and HKU about 1/4 NJ medical students each year. It is true that the figures are unofficial but based on deduction. For example, when HKU's class was 160, about 40-50 students were admitted through Early Admission Scheme and about 70-80 AL students were admitted each year. HKU and CU would regard the admission figures "State Secret". My friend had tried to ask by e-mail but none of them gave a reply.

2。學制分別 - 我個人覺得HKDSE, IB 是較完整的學制,GCE,SAT,AP 是較考試為本的單元性學習。

Agreed. But If one is interested in Medicine, GCE or AP system may equip the students better in the sense that the students can take all 3 science subjects but in IB, you cannot take more than 2 science subjects.

3。應考人數 - HKDSE 約70k學生應考,lB 在2013年約3k在香港應考。其他學制無從查考。而且兩間醫學院在NJ都會收部分本科畢業生,港大一向不公佈,中大限制在NJ三份一之內的名額。

The passing rate of HKDSE is about 27,000. Each year the Jupas places for HKDSE applicants is about 295 (i.e. 140 from CU and 155 from HKU.) The odd of gaining to a medical school is 295 / 27,000 (1.09%).

There are about 4,000 IB Hong Kong students (studying locally and worldwide) and 4,000 other system students. The passing rate is assumed at 70%. Therefore the number of eligible applicants is about 5,600.00

The NJ places from 2 universities is about 135 (i.e. 420 - 295). Roughly, CU reserved 1/3 and HKU reserved 1/4 of the places for non-high school applicants. It follows that the number of places for high school applicants is about 85 (50 being for degree holders). The odd of an IB or AL applicants is therefore about 85 / 5,600 (1.51%).

From these rough estimation, the odd of an NJ applicant is better than that of a HKDSE applicant so far as medical place is concerned. I have to emphasise that the estimation is based on brorad brush approach and does not take into account the number of arts students who have no interest in medicine or those who have no interest to study medicine at all.  

4。考試深淺 - HKAL > IB > HKDSE > GCE AL 個人觀感加上UCAS部份參考資料。

I share with you the difficulty level of different examinations. .

5。我個人覺得各有各配額,本地大學在UGC的資源安排及監督下,多次名額給HKDSE的本港考生是合理。如果再看看5科30分,跟以前HKALE應該差不多。我看熱門科目入學是由頂向下排,如果按數目來估算,競爭難度跟以前差不多,不要被基數誤導。

Totally agreed.

6。不同家長及學生為何選lB是各有考量,其他人我不便置喙,我只可以講自己的看法。我在日誌及其他帖都分享過,lB是一個好完整的學制,從多元訓練學生掌握一些終生受用的治學態度、學習方法及世界觀,而非單單一個考試為本的學制。如果小兒既完成lB,在lBDP又考到好成績,固然最理想。如果後者成績強差人意,我都見到他的成長,成熟,及為未來的求學及就業作好充分準備。

Glad to know  that your son can get the most out of the IBDP.

4#
發表於 12-10-8 13:14 |只看該作者
回復 Shootastar 的帖子

多謝你的精闢分析及補充。

5#
發表於 12-10-8 13:25 |只看該作者
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

6#
發表於 12-10-8 14:04 |只看該作者
Although this is not the official figure, it is estimated that for JUPAS applications to medical places, the odd is about 1 to 4. For NJ applicants, each medical schools receives about 600 to 800 applicants each year. If 1/3 of them is not up to the standard, the serious applicant is about 400 to 530. The odd is therefore about 1/3 to 1/4.

It would therefore appear that if we base on the number of applications (not the number of eligible candidates), the chance of JUPAS and NJ is more or less the same. I do not know whether this odd is manipulated by the universities for fairness purpose or just co-incident.

7#
發表於 12-10-8 14:21 |只看該作者
回復 Annie123 的帖子

My observation is as follows

NJ applicants come from different education system. It is quite difficult to set a formula of admission for them. For JUPAS candidates, basically, they study the same core subjects and 2 to 4 electives (to suit the requirements of different courses). It is easier to compare the JUPAS applicants and to make the admission decision. Further it is fairer because the applicants are compared on similar materials. In borderline case, the universities will resort to other factors such as the result of interview or OLE etc.

In case of NJ applicants, the colleges would consider a number of factors. They would consider the percentile of your cohort. For example, IB 43 would be placed in the top 1 to 2 percentile of the IB students each. Four A* in AL would be in the top 1 to 2 percentile in British education system. An index of 99.85 or about would put the applicants in the top 1 to 2 percentile in the Australian system. Given the difficulty in comparing different education systems, the universities would require a threshold for the applicants to meet. They would not admit students simply on the basis of a higher score.

Take the case of medicine for example, the threshold for an interview is IB 41 from CU and HKU. If you have 41, you have a good chance to be interviewed. However, if you meet the threshold, I think the next important part of your application is  the result of interview, leadership skill, services and the honors received and your passion in the subject you applied for. They would not bother to see if you have 42 or 43 so long as you have 41. If they do, it will make the comparison of students from other education system very complicated

So I would not be surprised that a student of higher score is not offered a place but an applicant with lower score does have (so long as he meets the threshold mark for entrance).

8#
發表於 12-10-8 14:56 |只看該作者
回復 ANChan59 的帖子

我都見到他的成長,成熟,及為未來的求學及就業作好充分準備。
**** 能够这样想, 已尽得IB 精髓, 阿仔交一份学费, 两仔爷共同得益(开窍?), 是低投资高回报! 收到额外红利时,记住要大事慶祝.

9#
發表於 12-10-8 15:36 |只看該作者
提示: 作者被禁止或刪除 內容自動屏蔽

10#
發表於 12-10-8 15:52 |只看該作者
回復 Shootastar 的帖子

Your analysis is great.  I heard the same for Oxbridge admission.  Although I cannot prove, I think it's reasonable.    Once the candidates reachs the threshold, say, PG 40+, you may have chance to interview.  During the interviews, The Us may not care whether you are 41 or 42 or 43 but focusing on your performance in the interview.  If the professors don't like the candidate, they may simply reject.  If they like the candidate, they may offer low barrier such as 40-.  If they found the candidate is marginal, high barrier like 45/45 will be offered.

點評

poonseelai  annie40, IB 38+ for Oxford, this is encouraging  發表於 12-10-8 17:40
annie40  I know a kid got conditional offer (political history) from Oxford was IB 38+.  發表於 12-10-8 16:28

11#
發表於 12-10-8 15:54 |只看該作者
回復 Shootastar 的帖子

Just share some info from CUHK, only 50% is eligible for application in Medic. Normally they interview 3 times the available NJ spaces, which pretty aligned with your 1/3 chance for eligible candidates.

12#
發表於 12-10-8 16:18 |只看該作者
本帖最後由 Shootastar 於 12-10-8 16:22 編輯

回復 Annie123 的帖子

I totally agree with you on your impression that for JUPAS applicants it is pretty firm that they have offers from medical schools if they have good results.

For NJ applicants, I also agree with you that CU and HKU would like to adopt the holistic approach - that means you will be considered for an interview if you could meet the threshold set by them as far as academic aspects are concerned. Once you are selected for an interview, they would consider the different components of your applications. If they decide to give you an offer, the terms of the offer would not be something beyond reach. My daugher had 2 offers from UK medical schools, the offers of which were pretty standard - the grades they asked for are the minimun grade published in the webpages. They did not ask anything more than that.  

點評

Annie123    發表於 12-10-8 21:06

13#
發表於 12-10-8 16:21 |只看該作者
回復 ANChan59 的帖子

Thank you for your sharing,.

14#
發表於 12-10-8 16:31 |只看該作者
回復 武航 的帖子

I have no experience in dealing with Oxford application. My son and daughter did apply to Cambridge, one for law and one for medicine. Both of them were unsuccessful. For Cambridge, they would invite about 80% of the applicants for interviews. It was so because (my guess) they only need the applicants to meet the published threshold. Once you meet the threshold, they would invite you for an interview and consider your applications from an holistic approach. If they decide to offer you admission, the grades they asked for the published standard grades. In rare occasion do they give an offer on terms more stringent than those already published.

For example, the standard offer for Law and Economics are 41 IB (If my memory is correct). If your predicted grade is 41 or above, there is great chance that you will be invited for an interview. If they decide to give you an offer, the terms of offer would be 41 only. My knowledge came from the successful applications of my kids' classmates. I welcome any correction if the information is not accurate.

15#
發表於 12-10-8 16:36 |只看該作者
annie40 發表於 12-10-8 14:56
回復 ANChan59 的帖子

我都見到他的成長,成熟,及為未來的求學及就業作好充分準備。
Will do......:;pppp:

點評

Annie123    發表於 12-10-8 21:06

16#
發表於 12-10-8 18:17 |只看該作者

ANChan59 的帖子

Thanks everyone!

17#
發表於 12-10-9 20:39 |只看該作者
If it is more difficult to get high grade in IB or DSE, why don't attend gce a level?

18#
發表於 12-10-10 00:53 |只看該作者
回復 mirage 的帖子

The difference is not much between IB, AL or DSE students as far as the competition for admission is concerned. No matter what education system you are from, you need to be in the top one to two percentile amongst your cohort. Although AL looks easier to get top grade, you have to secure 4* (or predicted grades of 4*) before you are considered for an interview.

點評

kym  Do you mean A*A*A*A*???  發表於 12-10-10 09:58

19#
發表於 12-10-10 14:45 |只看該作者
To kym

Yes, the standard offer for a medical place to British AL applicants is 4A* if you are offered by HKU or CU. In addition, they would require 9A* to 10A* before an interview is given. With those results, I think the applicant should be in the top one to two percentile of his cohore.
‹ 上一主題|下一主題